What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Bill Murray's signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature Role

• Various - SNL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trip - Meatballs

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Carl - Caddyshack

Votes: 57 33.3%
  • John - Stripes

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • Jeff - Tootsie

• Dr. Venkman - Ghostbusters

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Frank - Scrooged

• Phil - Groundhog Day

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • Ernie - Kingpin

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Various - Wes Anderson Movies

• Bob - Lost in Translation

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Bill - Zombieland

• Vincent - St. Vincent

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

badmojo1006

Footballguy
Pretty sure we have not done him.

But a lot of choices.

Went with Ghostbusters.

Though, Stripes, Caddyshack, SNL, Lost in Translation, Groundhog day all could be it

Tough call between Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, Stripes and Ghostbusters.

Definitely not that absurdly overrated Lost In Translation.

Bob Wiley in What About Bob should at least be on this list.   "I'm sailing!"
This character actually popped into my head first when I saw the name, but I don't see it as the "signature role".  I want to go with SNL, as it put him on the map and what people probably think about, but there is no one character there to hang your hat on, just a solid body of work.  So I think it has to be Carl.

Love Caddyshack, but he carried the movie Stripes on his back (the Stripes movie poster is just his face).  I can see Groundhog Day too, but enjoyed John Winger character better.

'Hiya Sarge'

Carl the Greenskeeper and Peter Venkman are more quotable, but Murray didn't carry either of those movies.

I vote for Groundhog Day.

What About Bob should be up there. I think it's a tough call between Ghostbusters,  Caddyshack, and Groundhog Day. I voted Ghostbusters.

we have a groundhog day marathon coming up at our roxy.  they are showing it 7 times in a row that day. 

if you make it thru all 7 you get free movies, popcorn and soda for a year.

friend wants to do it.  i was thinking about it and taking a bottle of booze and snoozing all day.

i wonder how strict they are.

Another vote to add Bob from What About Bob.  First one where I don't have any idea.  Caddyshack, Stripes, Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day all deserving.

Went with Groundhog Day.

While not his best movie, it feels like Dr. Venkman in Ghostbusters is his signature role.  I can get on board with Phil from Groundhog Day if someone wanted to argue that one. 

Caddyshack is the best film he has been in, but he was like the 5th most important character in that one (behind Noonan, Smails, Al and Ty). 

I actually went with Lost in Translation. 

Sophia Coppola is very underrated as a director, and the sadness in the movie shows off his range as an actor. 

But Major is also right. He doesn't get that part if not for Rushmore, which showed us a side of Murray we often hadn't seen as Herman Bloom. 

So it's really a toss-up.  

Groundhog Day is my vote as it was in the other thread.  I actually did a ranking of all of them in that thread,  but below is my explanation for Groundhog Day. 

He's funny, witty, smart-alecy Murray throughout the movie with that touch of heart-warming acting that puts him in the elite upper tier of comedic actors (ala Steve Martin & Robin Williams).  When children for generations to come ask me who Bill Murray was, I will simply say, "The guy in Groundhog Day."

If I was told I was only allowed to watch one Bill Murray movie ever again I would choose Groundhog Day, so thats my answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not enough love for Big Ern.  

Went Groundhog Day - best mix of leading the film and comedy greatness.  Lots of other popular options he is more of a role player, and Caddyshack is horribly unfunny.  

This isn't "What's his best movie."  So even if you think Caddyshack is overrated, and I could see people thinking that, his role in that movie is still iconic.  People who have never even seen that movie still quote his lines.  

This isn't "What's his best movie."  So even if you think Caddyshack is overrated, and I could see people thinking that, his role in that movie is still iconic.  People who have never even seen that movie still quote his lines.  
:goodposting:  Even if his character is an allegedly secondary one like in Caddyshack, you know he was in it and had very quotable lines.

Cutting against grain and saying Trip from Meatballs.

That movie will always hold a dear place in my heart as it was filmed at my summer camp, with loads of cameos from family and friends as they filmed during a summer when the camp was actively in session.

The less personal reason is that it was Murray's real first major theatrical release, bringing his signature style of comedy to the big screen for the first time. While his characters were different, many of his later comedic roles (specifically Stripes and Ghostbusters) drew from the same lovable, outrageous scamp with a heart-of-gold style. 

Cutting against grain and saying Trip from Meatballs.

That movie will always hold a dear place in my heart as it was filmed at my summer camp, with loads of cameos from family and friends as they filmed during a summer when the camp was actively in session.

The less personal reason is that it was Murray's real first major theatrical release, bringing his signature style of comedy to the big screen for the first time. While his characters were different, many of his later comedic roles (specifically Stripes and Ghostbusters) drew from the same lovable, outrageous scamp with a heart-of-gold style. 
I remember several years ago that you said Meatballs was filmed at the same Ontario camp you attended. As a long time summer camp kid myself, his portrayal of Tripper always resonates with me.

It might not be his "signature" role, but I agree that the role was the foundation for much of his early theatrical style coming off SNL.

I remember several years ago that you said Meatballs was filmed at the same Ontario camp you attended. As a long time summer camp kid myself, his portrayal of Tripper always resonates with me.

It might not be his "signature" role, but I agree that the role was the foundation for much of his early theatrical style coming off SNL.
I've been around here so long I've clearly run out of things to say and I'm repeating myself! 

Summer camp is such a great life experience -- still have close friends from camp. Golden period of life.

You must be the short, depressed kid we ordered. Glad you made it.
I think you are confusing me for someone else. I'm a monster, six and a half feet tall, two-hundred and sixty pounds, with one horrible distinguishing feature: a sharpened-stainless steel hhhhooooook...where my right hand used to be. 

Users who are viewing this thread