What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NHL Playoff Thread: , Let’s shut this one down. Rangers making moves and draft on Friday. Bring it to offseason thread bromigos (2 Viewers)

I know Backstrom is almost certainly not a Hall of Famer but he is the Pippin to Ovechkin’s Jordan. Just does everything so well and has been essential to this team’s success. 2 goals early tonight and then 2 huge blocks to help secure the win. 
One side of the argument - 

Without Ovechkin, Backstrom's numbers wouldn't be as impressive.

The other side - 

Without Ovechkin, Backstrom would get far more recognition on the Caps and in the NHL and we'd be more inclined to call him a full-on star vs. extremely talented supporting actor.

I'm FIRMLY in the second camp, but I agree...he does everything well.  It's almost comical how EVERY announcer continues to say how he's so underrated...yet he's still underrated.

Makar looked unbelievable up until early in the 2nd and then completely disappeared. thought he was going to take over that game.  to be fair he should have had like 9 assists at that point though.  not a fan of the balanced ice time approach either, especially this time of year with the way that team is made up.

UMass forward group looked limp without Chaffee.  they’ll need some more heavy PP time or Makar to take over to get by UMD.  that top PP unit is very good.

Typical sad state of officiating in college hockey - make a bad call and then try to make up for it - then missing the only call they should have made at the end of regulation. The call on DU on Barrow was disgusting. Guy has puck and gets hit - hard. So what. Refs have to look for a hit to head because they called one earlier. Of course he hit him in the head - he hit his entire body.Blew.Him.Up.  It changed the game and ruined what was a good matchup 5v5. Most of the non-DU fans in concourse couldn't believe they called that. Du fans were livid. Scott Mayfield used to get called for that stuff and he was very happy to get out of college hockey because of that. There will be a lot of kids wondering if they should go to NCAA if they are a physical player if they keep stopping games to look for hits.

Glad DU found a way to rebound from that - they can use that to build on with all the youth for next season. Getting to this point was a bonus.

Great to meet @Dickie Dunn he should be on cloud nine with the season UMass has had - I hope they can sustain it. It was nice to see a lot of fresh faces at the game. Dickie truly captures the spirit of the game.

Speaking of fans - the place was empty. The lowest attended Frozen Four I've been to. Atmosphere was dead for the most part.

Typical sad state of officiating in college hockey - make a bad call and then try to make up for it - then missing the only call they should have made at the end of regulation. The call on DU on Barrow was disgusting. Guy has puck and gets hit - hard. So what. Refs have to look for a hit to head because they called one earlier. Of course he hit him in the head - he hit his entire body.Blew.Him.Up.  It changed the game and ruined what was a good matchup 5v5. Most of the non-DU fans in concourse couldn't believe they called that. Du fans were livid. Scott Mayfield used to get called for that stuff and he was very happy to get out of college hockey because of that. There will be a lot of kids wondering if they should go to NCAA if they are a physical player if they keep stopping games to look for hits.

Glad DU found a way to rebound from that - they can use that to build on with all the youth for next season. Getting to this point was a bonus.

Great to meet @Dickie Dunn he should be on cloud nine with the season UMass has had - I hope they can sustain it. It was nice to see a lot of fresh faces at the game. Dickie truly captures the spirit of the game.

Speaking of fans - the place was empty. The lowest attended Frozen Four I've been to. Atmosphere was dead for the most part.
I didn't like any of the three major calls.  each of them the player has his head down leaning and the "offender" had his elbow down and shoulder was part of the contact.  Chaffee one was still dumb because you don't need to make that hit and with where the game was it was incredibly risky.  only one of those was even called on the ice and then two of them have a long, lame replay to go with it.  and then, of course, they miss the flying elbow which was by far the most egregious play of the night.  replay culture is dumb and handing out majors/ejections for even the slightest bit of head contact is worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brasky- where was the crew for the DU game from?  Not sure where refs get idea that we come to watch them  

Agree with its you on the majors -ruined the game. 

Interesting stats from last night. (Yes I know scoreboard is only thing that matters)

@SWhyno: To that end, Hurricanes had 59 5-on-5 shot attempts and 6 high-danger scoring chances to Capitals’ 23 shot attempts and 4 high-dangers, per @NatStatTrick.

It's almost comical how EVERY announcer continues to say how he's so underrated...yet he's still underrated.
Yes! Case in point: this morning on Stellick & Simmer, they spent a few minutes talking about just how underrated he is and then, a short time later, when the four announcers assigned their three stars from yesterday's games, not one listed him, unless I'm mistaken. Two #######' goals and some key blocks. Come on!

Anyway, so glad we've been able to watch and appreciate his great play these past dozen years. You're in my HOF Nicky! 

Interesting stats from last night. (Yes I know scoreboard is only thing that matters)

@SWhyno: To that end, Hurricanes had 59 5-on-5 shot attempts and 6 high-danger scoring chances to Capitals’ 23 shot attempts and 4 high-dangers, per @NatStatTrick.
Caps bury their good chances though.  Aho isn't himself, wouldn't be surprised if he is playing really banged up.  They need him healthy to win, he isn't.

that was weird.  did they sign this new old old new Mike Smith for more than one game?
By virtue of playing his 20th playoff game last night, Mike Smith now qualifies for all-time career playoff rankings and has vaulted to the top.

#1 all-time with a 94.5 Save %
#6 all-time with a 1.79 GAA

Holtby is second behind Smith among all active players in both post-season categories:

#4 all-time with 92.9 Save %  (Craig Anderson right behind him, also at 92.9)
#15 all-time with a 2.04 GAA

Holtby has 83 career playoff games, good for 27th all-time. If the Caps play 10 more games this post-season, he'll move up into a tie with Hextall for #20 on the all-time career postseason games list

By virtue of playing his 20th playoff game last night, Mike Smith now qualifies for all-time career playoff rankings and has vaulted to the top.

#1 all-time with a 94.5 Save %
#6 all-time with a 1.79 GAA

Holtby is second behind Smith among all active players in both post-season categories:

#4 all-time with 92.9 Save %  (Craig Anderson right behind him, also at 92.9)
#15 all-time with a 2.04 GAA

Holtby has 83 career playoff games, good for 27th all-time. If the Caps play 10 more games this post-season, he'll move up into a tie with Hextall for #20 on the all-time career postseason games list
everyone remembers him dragging the Yotes to the WCF but he's been garbage for so long now

Brasky- where was the crew for the DU game from?  Not sure where refs get idea that we come to watch them  

Agree with its you on the majors -ruined the game. 
I believe it was a WCHA crew.

Trivigno is out for tomorrow, which was the correct call. Dumb play and really could have changed the outcome the way it was trending.

What I don’t get is why Carle chose not to challenge. Such a critical point in the game. When did he think he was going to use it?

Lightning look intimidated and lost. They're supposed to be the ones who knock. Cup or bust? Looking like bust right now. Unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread