What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NHL Playoff Thread: , Let’s shut this one down. Rangers making moves and draft on Friday. Bring it to offseason thread bromigos (1 Viewer)

That call hurts, but plenty of blame to be heaped on the Blues. No need for it to come to that OT.
Right

They've given up 13 goals in 3 games.  They gave up 17 in the 7 game Stars series.

Refs missed one, but their D is not impressing so far this series

My only issue with the “but what about that other missed call” crowd is that, you had a chance to overcome that mistake. Sharks fans are doing it with the Perron flip into the net (another blown one) and the “head shot” on Braun (debatable). The Blues didn’t last night. I think that was a worse blown call than the Eakin “major”, IMHO.

#RefChat

All kidding aside, the game has gotten so fast that it is impossible for the refs to catch everything. This isnt old school hockey anymore. The skill and speed of these guys is too much for the refs to take. 

Since today appears to be focused on RefChat, here are three simple fixes to the rules I want to see in place

-Get rid of delay of game.  Treat it like icing.  Dumbest rule out there
-Get rid of replay on goalie interference.  Replay is not helping so just stick with the on-ice calls
-Get rid of replay on off-sides.  It's ridiculous to disallow a goal because there is a sliver of white behind the player's skate, and the replay slows the game down.  Hate this one

All kidding aside, the game has gotten so fast that it is impossible for the refs to catch everything. This isnt old school hockey anymore. The skill and speed of these guys is too much for the refs to take. 
This might be true, but how is it that a player makes a hand pass in the offensive zone and none of 4 officials sees it?  It’s not like it was behind the play; it was with the puck, which you’d think at least 1 of the 4 would be watching. There’s no conspiracy; it’s just incompetence at the highest level. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Since today appears to be focused on RefChat, here are three simple fixes to the rules I want to see in place

-Get rid of delay of game.  Treat it like icing.  Dumbest rule out there
-Get rid of replay on goalie interference.  Replay is not helping so just stick with the on-ice calls
-Get rid of replay on off-sides.  It's ridiculous to disallow a goal because there is a sliver of white behind the player's skate, and the replay slows the game down.  Hate this one
completely agree with 1 and 3.  though puck over glass shtick can be fun sometimes.  offsides replay is the worst thing to happen to hockey since Pierre McGuire.

goalie interference is about the only replay I'm good with.

the hand pass was super obvious though.

And hand passes.
disagree.  imo if you open that door then you end up with the nonsense we see with offsides replay where they are reviewing every puck even near a glove with ultra high def slow mo to see if they touched at an atomic level and on plays that don't even have a direct effect on the play and/or happened well before.  you put it in place for the really obvious one and end up using it for all kinds of idiocy.

bad miss.  tough to swallow for the Blues.  but it's also pretty rare something that obvious and significant gets missed.  better off just living with it imo.

disagree.  imo if you open that door then you end up with the nonsense we see with offsides replay where they are reviewing every puck even near a glove with ultra high def slow mo to see if they touched at an atomic level and on plays that don't even have a direct effect on the play and/or happened well before.  you put it in place for the really obvious one and end up using it for all kinds of idiocy.

bad miss.  tough to swallow for the Blues.  but it's also pretty rare something that obvious and significant gets missed.  better off just living with it imo.
:no:

124 more pages to go.  Should make it by end of night.  Love how rock has to explain the interpretation of every chowderrefchat post.  Quality schtick there.  😁

Puck over the glass has to be called or we will see it 5 to 10 times a game by weaker teams.  I think it should be reviewable as it's easy to review.  And if every goal is reviewed,  why isn't the play right before it reviewable?

delay of game penalty is dumb but whatever. there can be other ways to discourage that.

offsides reviews are the worst.

goalie interference reviews make the most sense to me, but still extremely subjective so nobody will ever be happy there.

I also hate distinct kicking motion decisions. just let people kick the damn puck in and be done with it.

when the Stars originally offered Esa Lindell that $35 mil contact I’m assuming he fainted but it also may have been a dive.  hard to say

I'm sure there are good uses for expanding it, but watching reviews for flagrants in NBA games does not make me want to expand replay use anywhere else.  So painful.  If you have to review it to know, it must not have been that flagrant.  

I like the delay of game call. It puts emphasis on a defenseman's skill level and takes the subjectivity out of it for the refs. You know you can't flip it over, so don't do it.

I agree with the kicking motion rule. It's tradition.

Other than that, I'm all ears on improvement.

delay of game penalty is dumb but whatever. there can be other ways to discourage that.

goalie interference reviews make the most sense to me, but still extremely subjective so nobody will ever be happy there.

I also hate distinct kicking motion decisions. just let people kick the damn puck in and be done with it.
This could also be carried over to hand passes.  Let them happen.  They are already allowed in the defensive zone (I know the reason why but still) so take away the opportunity for complaining about a missed call like last night.  If it isn't an issue no complaint.

Changing the DOG penalty to icing or something else will decrease scoring.  Keep it the way it is.

If up to me, I would treat it, the puck over the glass, the same as icing.

This could also be carried over to hand passes.  Let them happen.  They are already allowed in the defensive zone (I know the reason why but still) so take away the opportunity for complaining about a missed call like last night.  If it isn't an issue no complaint.
agree on this and on the kicking.  Get rid of those rules and you get rid of the outrage on the calls/non-calls with them

Canes giveaway tonight is a bag a poop to hurl at the Bruins during the POW trophy presentation.  They are encouraging fans to not only focus on hitting the Bruins but to target Bettman as much as possible too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar to them missing the puck go out of play in the Columbus series. Ooooof.
One difference I see is that I don't think 1 person on the ice saw this, no ref, no Bruin and no Jacket. In the case of last night it seems everyone new - even Karlsson hesitated to initially go after the puck - except for the officials.  Truly bizarre that the 4 officials all missed it.

BS. The Bruins stopped skating when the puck magically dropped out of the air (you know, like it hit the net) and they complained immediately to the refs. Watch the replay.

BS. The Bruins stopped skating when the puck magically dropped out of the air (you know, like it hit the net) and they complained immediately to the refs. Watch the replay.
I just watched it (from a few angles including one from centre ice cam) and didn't see any of the usual arm gestures. Maybe I missed it.  They are similar then

I could see the argument for the position that it may be harder to see a puck quickly go out of play and come back on the ice but again, 4 refs missed it. As for the Sharks one, there's no excuse for that crap.  They should be docked pay.

I agree with all of this but INSIST that we get rid of the trapezoid rule.  One goalie was good at playing the puck, which gave his team an advantage; therefore, no goalies can play the puck any more.  So ####### dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread