What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NHL Playoff Thread: , Let’s shut this one down. Rangers making moves and draft on Friday. Bring it to offseason thread bromigos (3 Viewers)

also, I would strongly disagree that the Blues have not been a tough physical team in the past.  that has largely been their identity going back for a while.

Yeah, but not like they did in this postseason.  You could argue they went over the line with a few hits, but it's hockey and hockey is a physical sport.  Nasty hits are gonna happen sometimes.  Maybe it is just more obvious now since this team won and those others did not, but it just feels like a different attitude and mentality with Berube.  

I think Binnington was probably the biggest reason for the turn around no doubt, but he also had it very easy compared to Allen. In January the team found its defensive structure and didn’t give up many high danger chances after that. Whether you want to attribute that to coaching or the skill players finding their game is up to you because I have no clue. Probably a combination of both. 

I think what Berube should get credit for is never letting the team break. There were so many moments this post season that blues teams of yore would have thrown in the towel and this team always bounced back (especially Binnington). And I doubted them every time because it’s been ingrained in my mind that the heart break was coming. 

I think Binnington was probably the biggest reason for the turn around no doubt, but he also had it very easy compared to Allen. In January the team found its defensive structure and didn’t give up many high danger chances after that. Whether you want to attribute that to coaching or the skill players finding their game is up to you because I have no clue. Probably a combination of both. 

I think what Berube should get credit for is never letting the team break. There were so many moments this post season that blues teams of yore would have thrown in the towel and this team always bounced back (especially Binnington). And I doubted them every time because it’s been ingrained in my mind that the heart break was coming. 
true, they for sure got better.  though the difference the goaltending made versus how the defense played was far more important.  

Yeo: xGA/60 2.34 vs GA/60 2.87 (+0.53 goals against/60 difference)

Berube before Binny: 2.11 vs 3.01 (+0.90/60)

Binnington Era: 1.90 vs 1.61 (-0.29/60)

Binnington was saving pucks well above the rate of the difficulty he was facing while the goaltending before him was putting immense pressure on an already respectable defense even before the improvement 

true, they for sure got better.  though the difference the goaltending made versus how the defense played was far more important.  

Yeo: xGA/60 2.34 vs GA/60 2.87 (+0.53 goals against/60 difference)

Berube before Binny: 2.11 vs 3.01 (+0.90/60)

Binnington Era: 1.90 vs 1.61 (-0.29/60)

Binnington was saving pucks well above the rate of the difficulty he was facing while the goaltending before him was putting immense pressure on an already respectable defense even before the improvement 
Hence Cam Ward.

Excellent point regarding Berube.  Case in point was the hand pass loss to San Jose.  While we fans were outraged, he obviously told the team, "It's over and done with, let's move on," and they listened, rather than dwelling on it and letting it get in their heads. 

As for Allen and Binnington, the team itself just seemed way more confident on the ice with Binnington in net.  When Allen played the occasional game the last few months of the season, there were times where you could almost tell the team didn't play with as much confidence due to him being the netminder that night. 

playoffs are a different game and the obviously ramped it up, but for the record...

hits per game was exactly 19.7 under both Yeo and Berube during the regular season.  
Except, you can't bang that hard all regular season and expect to be close to healthy for the post season. The Blues upped their physicality dramatically in the playoffs. They had 19.7 H/G in the regular season and jumped to over 31 H/G in the post season. That falls entirely on Berube. He changed the style of play from the regular season to the post season. 

Except, you can't bang that hard all regular season and expect to be close to healthy for the post season. The Blues upped their physicality dramatically in the playoffs. They had 19.7 H/G in the regular season and jumped to over 31 H/G in the post season. That falls entirely on Berube. He changed the style of play from the regular season to the post season. 
the point was that it was the same team playing the same style.  every team ramps it up in postseason.  it's not like Berube reinvented the wheel here.  in 2016/17 under Yeo they went from 20.6 hits per game in the regular season to 27.0 in the playoffs.  would have been the same this season had he still been behind the bench. 

the point was that it was the same team playing the same style.  every team ramps it up in postseason.  it's not like Berube reinvented the wheel here.  in 2016/17 under Yeo they went from 20.6 hits per game in the regular season to 27.0 in the playoffs.  would have been the same this season had he still been behind the bench. 
Except that they had essentially quit on Yeo. I doubt they would've thrown themselves at the other team for Yeo. 

except I wasn't debating that at all
That doesn't seem to jive with this:

That and he would've never gotten them to the playoffs so I doubt their hits would've ever gone up except hits with a club and a golf ball in the offseason. 

That doesn't seem to jive with this:

That and he would've never gotten them to the playoffs so I doubt their hits would've ever gone up except hits with a club and a golf ball in the offseason. 
the Blues identity isn't a product of Berube or Yeo and the fact that they are more physical in the playoffs is neither revolutionary or unique to them.  I didn't make any statement about Yeo getting them to the playoffs, only that if he was behind the bench they would have been more significantly more physical in the postseason relative to the regular season which was exactly the case two years ago.  my point, which I thought was quite clear, is that Binnington was the clear difference in this team and the perceived disparity between Berube and Yeo is ridiculous hyperbole. 

I think the goalie change was the primary driver, but I'm sure Berube played a role as well. Seems like he's the type of guy players rally around while Yeo is more of a systems guy.

I don't doubt that at all.  like I said originally, Berube deserves plenty of credit. 
You say this right after saying this:

the Blues identity isn't a product of Berube or Yeo and the fact that they are more physical in the playoffs is neither revolutionary or unique to them.  I didn't make any statement about Yeo getting them to the playoffs, only that if he was behind the bench they would have been more significantly more physical in the postseason relative to the regular season which was exactly the case two years ago.  my point, which I thought was quite clear, is that Binnington was the clear difference in this team and the perceived disparity between Berube and Yeo is ridiculous hyperbole. 
Seriously, pick one or the other. 

The team quit on Yeo. Wouldn't buy into his system. The team came together as a group and bought into that system before Binnington was called up. Had they not done that, they would not be where they are now. There are countless stories in the local media about how players would not do what Yeo wanted them to do and initially would not listen to Berube either, but eventually bought in, and in a few weeks after that, Binnington came up. 

The kid played great for a rookie, most importantly, not losing a second game in a row very often, but without the team playing the coach's system, that wouldn't have been enough. 

One coach lost the team, one brought them together as a team. That's not hyperbole, ridiculous or otherwise. 

how did Berube's system differ from what Yeo was trying to do?
I don't have the X's and O's of the system, just that ROR was pretty much the only one who kept playing for Yeo, or the team or himself, or whatever, when everyone else had quit. There were even fist fights between players in practice the clubhouse was so toxic. I remember one article about how when Schenn bought in, that was the first real domino that set the entire team to buy in. 

Users who are viewing this thread