What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to soundproof my kid's room? (1 Viewer)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
I've got an 11 year old who plays the guitar.  I love that he plays and always encourage him to practice.  I don't love the noise which emanates from his room when we're trying to watch tv in the adjacent family room.  I realize most of the sound is escaping through the doorway which has a large gap at the bottom.  Any experience and suggestions on the best way to contain the noise (that doesn't include him wearing headphones)?  I'm currently in a rental property, so significant structural changes are not an option.   Would a sound curtain on the outside of the door be effective?  I've also read that weatherstripping tape and gaskets might work.   

I'll be back when I have some time...I'm an architect and have an 11yo son who's a drummer also with a bedroom next to where we watch tv. He has an electronic kit, but we need to move to an acoustic kit unfortunately. Also live in an apt building and his br is next to our neighbor. Lots of soundproofing to figure out for us.

When I did my theater room I used a product called Green Glue.  It is an acoustical dampening compound that you put between two sheets of drywall so the walls and ceiling in the theater are twice as thick and have this glue in between to deaden the sound.   

I also put in a separate HVAC unit in the theater so sound would not travel through heating ducts.   The last steps to soundproofing were to put an acoustic clay-like substance over the wall outlets and an automatic door seal to keep light and sound from leaking out of the bottom of the door.

Might be overkill for a kid's room but it works great in the theater 

When I did my theater room I used a product called Green Glue.  It is an acoustical dampening compound that you put between two sheets of drywall so the walls and ceiling in the theater are twice as thick and have this glue in between to deaden the sound.   

I also put in a separate HVAC unit in the theater so sound would not travel through heating ducts.   The last steps to soundproofing were to put an acoustic clay-like substance over the wall outlets and an automatic door seal to keep light and sound from leaking out of the bottom of the door.

Yeah, for optimal results, you need to build a room within a room.

Yeah, for optimal results, you need to build a room within a room.
this goes towards what I wrote above.

optimally- you use different walls (room within a room), floor and ceiling. but you can also use staggered studs, so that framing for one side of the wall is separate from the framing for the other. then fill the #### out of the cavity with the most dense insulating material you can find. optimally use something resilient to hang or connect the ceiling and at corners/joints.

other options- "quiet rock" wall board is a more dense sheetrock panel, made for acoustic dampening. layer all joints with applied acoustic mat/wrap.

the op mentioned having a door- gasket all edges. cheaper- as soon on tv under-door weather stripping/blanket thing.

I've got an 11 year old who plays the guitar.  I love that he plays and always encourage him to practice.  I don't love the noise which emanates from his room when we're trying to watch tv in the adjacent family room.  I realize most of the sound is escaping through the doorway which has a large gap at the bottom.  Any experience and suggestions on the best way to contain the noise (that doesn't include him wearing headphones)?  I'm currently in a rental property, so significant structural changes are not an option.   Would a sound curtain on the outside of the door be effective?  I've also read that weatherstripping tape and gaskets might work.   
Alternatively, you can ask him to turn down.  There are amplifier solutions that give you overdriven tones at low volumes.

Start with the original room. 

Add 3-4 inches of torn newspaper. Assume 12-20 newspaper per linear foot

next build a false ceiiinf 6” below. Fill this with used cardboard boxes or old denim jeans

ar this point you have one surface left. You guessed it. - the floor. Here you got one main advantage - laziness. Let your #### pile up until it’s 8-12 inches. 

At this point. You ha e the tools to start a job. Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread