What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Top 5 Small Towns/Cities in the US to Visit (1 Viewer)

if you dont mind, what can you tell me about the livability of coastal Wisconsin between Sheboygan and the Door Peninsula? I may have but two options once i plant the peeps - stay here in Vt in one of those apts that charge 1/3 of my Social Security (ugh) or buy a house for around $50K cash so i dont have to pay rent at all. I've been looking at depressed parts of the country - Appalachia, Ohio River valley, rural Maryland - where i could get that kind of value and was surprised to find decent houses in that price range in Manitowoc & Two Rivers. I've always loved Lake Michigan and i've gotten used to winter climes in these Vt yrs - what's the sitch there?
Manitowoc?

not looking to get framed for murder

Traverse City does look pretty nice.  The only place in MI that I've been to is Detroit. I'd love to get over to TC and Mackinac some day.  
If you or others like art, Grand Rapids has a really neat event, ArtPrize, which will appear again for a few weeks in fall, 2020.  The art - on the streets, in various buildings, and even in the river - takes over the downtown area.  GR has added a number of craft breweries and some really good downtown restaurants over the past several years, so it's actually a great place to visit.  The Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park out on the edge of the city (10-15 minutes from downtown) is interesting; the small town of Rockford along a river 15 minutes further north is also worth a visit.

New Paltz, NY

??

Anybody been there? What can you tell me.

Going for a few days at the end of August.
was just there over the weekend.  it's a decent place.  the downtown has a ton of spots for food and drink and shopping.  i guess it's a college town (SUNY-New Paltz), though I was surprised it was so packed on a summer night (though it was Saturday night).

Really, there is a lot of cool stuff in the Hudson Valley in general.  We went to New Paltz, Kingston, Beacon, Wappinger Falls, Cold Spring, Gardiner.  It's all very nice because you are continually surrounded by hiking trails and water.  In fact, there is a simple hiking/biking path that connects like all of those towns.  I liked Beacon the best because it's the best combo of hipster ####, hippies, laidback normals, and some, uh, i don't know, "street people" i guess.  We were trying to move our car one night and my wife had taken it and I thought was bringing it around, while I waited on the street and 2 dudes smoking weed on the sidewalk were trying to advise me of the best places to park.  And there's an artisan marshmallow store.

Cold Spring is really picturesque, but too many old WASPs for my taste (though a number of foreigners as well).  Part of Kingston feels like you might get shot and the other part is good for yuppies and hipsters.  Gardiner and Wappinger Falls don't offer too much (the latter does have a record store/bar that we didn't go to), but Gardiner has a few decent restaurants and an interesting distillery.  would be good to maybe make as a bike destination on the bike path.

oh, Cold Spring also has a barber shop/bar and Kingston has a bookstore/bar.  Pretty much everywhere in the Hudson Valley, people want to sell you craft beer and CBD products.

Sedona, AZ

Nags Head, NC

Mesquite, NV

Bandon, OR

Duluth, MN

I'd say Hurricane or St. George Utah but their drinking laws disqualify them. 

If you or others like art, Grand Rapids has a really neat event, ArtPrize, which will appear again for a few weeks in fall, 2020.  The art - on the streets, in various buildings, and even in the river - takes over the downtown area.  GR has added a number of craft breweries and some really good downtown restaurants over the past several years, so it's actually a great place to visit.  The Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park out on the edge of the city (10-15 minutes from downtown) is interesting; the small town of Rockford along a river 15 minutes further north is also worth a visit.
It's also near Saugatuck, Holland and Grand Haven which are cool places to go with lots water, nature and food/drinks. 

Some ones we visited in recent years that we enjoyed:

Hannibal, Missouri

Macinac Island, Michigan

Natchez, Mississippi

Herman, Missouri

Cody, Wyoming

Some ones we visited in recent years that we enjoyed:

Hannibal, Missouri

Macinac Island, Michigan

Natchez, Mississippi

Herman, Missouri

Cody, Wyoming
Most pain in ### location in the lower 48 to visit and my sister insisted on getting married there. What a nightmare of an ordeal getting there and back. Not like Donner Party nightmare, but close.

Clarksdale, MS. great food and music. Highly recomend Shack Up Inn for lodging. https://www.shackupinn.com/, Deak's Mississippi Saxophone Emporium (featured on Ozzy and Jack Osbourne's travel show), Red's Juke Joint.

Ocean Springs, MS. on the Gulf and a great little artist community. Plenty of shrimp on the dock and a gambling boat if that is your thing.

Champaign, Urbana, Il. Great BBQ and arts. Several excellent breweries including Triptych which is amazing.

Wellsboro , Pa. Quant little town with excellent shops and close to Pennsylvania Grand Canyon and Hill Creek State Park for a super chill beach and camping. cabin rentals to tent and rv's.

Columbus In. Great architecture and a great brew pub resatraunt Powerhouse.

Most pain in ### location in the lower 48 to visit and my sister insisted on getting married there. What a nightmare of an ordeal getting there and back. Not like Donner Party nightmare, but close.
lol I can imagine coming in from out of town it has to be quite an ordeal. Was it at the Grand Hotel?

Well, i connect with it because of the Santuario (a chapel that some locals still crawl to as a pilgrimage like Croagh Patrick or Santiago de Compostella, or Lourdes during Lent) because they used to have the best green chilies (the best combo of heat & sweet) and that, when anglos started making their way up to Chimayo & Truchas in the 1920s, they found pockets of people who still spoke Cervantan Spanish, so everything about it says New Mexico to me. If you're going to Chama, take 508 @ Pojoaque to state road 98 to the Santuario & the old restaurant for some rellenos or sumn, then 76 thru Truchas & Trampas to Taos and you'll see, if not connect with, the old ways. The C&T is fun. There used to be a bar W of Chama where everybody hung their underwear from the ceiling w darts. enjoy
I just got back from NM and Chimayo.  That was great.  The Santuario de Chimayo was a pretty special place.  It did remind of some of the older, smaller churches that I’ve seen in places like Ireland or Italy.  Rancho de Chimayo was fantastic; my favorite meal that I’ve had in all of my meals in New Mexico — I wanted a little bit of everything, and had a combination plate with carne adovada, tamale, enchilada, and posole. I could taste the difference between the Chimayo chile and Hatch chile: more flavorful and not as overbearingly hot relative to the chile that I’m used to, which my gringo self appreciated.  My FIL was with us and said that he was at the restaurant on opening night when they opened back around 1965 (he worked in Santa Fe at the time).

For the rest of the trip, stopped in Santa Fe (The Shed — my wife’s favorite) for some enchiladas on our way up to Chama. Also went to Meow Wolf, which is some weird interactive arts collective thing that George RR Martin has helped fund there.

Train ride on the Cumbres and Toltec was beautiful.  You noted the aspens in GM’s best month thread; they were starting to turn color, but maybe a still a week away from peak. Still awesome to see from the train ride. Gorge is pretty breathtaking to ride along.

Spent most of our time at in-laws in ABQ.  I was out a few years ago for the balloon fiesta, but the weather did not cooperate.  Finally got to see a mass ascension on Sunday.  Great sight to behold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread