What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

27 traffic lights, all green (1 Viewer)

It’s like this for me every day mostly bc I bought this transmitter off some guy that lets me change all the signals at will.
At one point in my career I was offered a government vehicle with lights, sirens, and that transponder.  I declined and instead took a vehicle stipend.  I declined because the week before my boss, who had such a vehicle, had accidently flipped on the grill lights did not know he had, the transponder came on as well, and he was driving around effecting traffic.  When an undercover saw him and realized he was not in pursuit or on an emergency he  radioed   a marked car to pull my boss over for misuse of emergency lights.  It was a thing.  I figured I did not want to make the same mistake.

That is a great feeling. No brakes. No dealing with idiot traffic. It's like you are one with your engine, travelling through space and time. It's glorious.
Well it might be glorious if I were not driving an 11 year old Hyundai Elantra. Not certain I want to be one with that vehicle. It was nice, however.   It reminded me of when I moved to my current home. At that time there was very little traffic and very few lights along my route. In the 19 years since the city has grown up to get me.

Inspired by @Ditkaless Wonders, I kept track on my morning commute.  8 lights, 3 were red, but I was able to quickly go right on one of them, so I'm saying I hit 6 out of 8.  Feeling pretty good about myself, but admittedly not DW-level awesome.  There was one yellow I probably should have stopped at, but decided yolo on that and cruised right through.

My morning commute is 11.8 miles.  There are 27 signalized intersections on the route.  This morning I hit every single one on green.  My commute which usually takes about 26 minutes in the morning only took 16. Ahhh simple pleasures!
Your red lights must be shorter than mine. 

I had an experience like this once. It’s the closest I’ve ever come to nirvana. 
It really stood out to me in comparison to going home on Monday where unannounced construction had me at 5 iterations of one light and 6 at another.  Going home that day took more than 50 minutes.  Clear sailing through traffic is worth celebrating.

My sister lived in Marin County and worked in San Francisco.  She tells me I know nothing of commuting aggravation as do my friends in N.Y., Philly, and Chicago.  They also can't believe I have assigned, free, covered parking very close in to my building.  They say I am spoiled and that I am oblivious to that fact.  Probably they are correct.

My morning commute is 11.8 miles.  There are 27 signalized intersections on the route.  This morning I hit every single one on green.  My commute which usually takes about 26 minutes in the morning only took 16. Ahhh simple pleasures!
Time to fire up a J tonight to celebrate the green!

Time to fire up a J tonight to celebrate the green!
My employer prohibits such conduct as does my profession, regardless of the status of the marijuana laws in Colorado.  Interestingly I helped draft the current regulations but I, myself, am not able to partake.  Maybe upon retirement. Then I can have my own green house out behind my still, round back of the cabin.  

That is a great feeling. No brakes. No dealing with idiot traffic. It's like you are one with your engine, travelling through space and time. It's glorious.
I swear my car would never break down if I could just have all green lights, with just an occasional yellow to give me a thrill.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are things in this world that are 99.99999% impossible, and this would be one of them... at least for me.

I work right on the border of Irvine, CA, and my commute takes me through at least 3-4 miles.  Irvine is notorious for having the worst signal-timing in the area.  Neighboring cities like Costa Mesa seem to be just as bad.

I spend a lot of time at red lights between 8-8:30am and then again from 4ish-4:30ish on my way home.

C'est la vie.

What's weird to me is that I used to live in a small city that had the flashing light sensors for emergency vehicles to always give them green lights, then I move to a big city, LA, known for its impossible to navigate traffic, and they don't use that here. Strange. 
Isn’t it possible that adding another variable like that could actually make things even worse?  When there isn’t less traffic, seems like there is more room to allow for improvising.

When I worked in Virginia, there was a large residential neighborhood that had a fairly major road going through it.  The lights were rigged so that if a car passed over a sensor at greater than the posted speed limit of 25 mph, the next light would automatically trip red.

I brought that up to the local Pennsylvania DOT folks, and they looked at me like I was speaking Chinese.

sometimes if i am feeling like a spicy enchilada i will just drive through intersections no matter what its sort of like what you are talking about only with a lot more horns and screeching tires and people swearing at me and stuff take that to the bank brochacho
Sounds more like leaving the bank, as in a robbery.

11 reds out of 29 lights this morning.  Felt like I hit a few greens that are usually reds on my morning commute.  Definitely made it here to work faster than usual so that adds up.

I hate those days when it seems like every signal turns yellow when I approach it and I'm a too far to get through it without obviously running it.  :rant:

I wish they would analyze the timing of lights in my city.  Seems like the green on the main road on average is too short meanwhile the few cross roads the green is too long.  There are hardly ever a car or two waiting on the cross roads as opposed to the back up of 10-15 cars on the main road sitting at the intersection at idle poring emissions into the atmosphere.  Maybe I should send that to the city.

Got stopped a little extra at the last red light on my way in - it's a block down the street from work. There were about 472 cop cars around due to someone being shot and killed in the gas station parking lot. 2nd person found dead in that parking lot in the last 6 months. 

I really don't mind stopping if it's just a few seconds. What I hate is just missing a light and being stuck there for the full cycle.

I really don't mind stopping if it's just a few seconds. What I hate is just missing a light and being stuck there for the full cycle.
The lights in Irvine, CA are verifably the WORST.  On my way home I will stop (full cycle) at one major intersection here and then will see the next major intersection turn from yellow to red right as I am closing in.  I could speed and make it through, but cops are ever-present.  :(   

Michigan is good about this.  Some other areas are notoriously bad about hitting every red.
I've never been able to figure out how in Holland, MI on US-31, you can drive 50 mph and hit 5 straight lights green every time, whether you're going north or south.  They're on the same timers... I can't figure out how this is possible.

This would happen all the time if my plan to employ the homeless by having them manually control tstoplights were put into place.  
I was in a car in Monterrey, Mexico, and there was a huge backup at an intersection.  Everyone was laying on their horns, and I laughed about how pointless that was... until we passed the little shack in the median where a dude was controlling the lights.  I didn't know that existed.

I've never been able to figure out how in Holland, MI on US-31, you can drive 50 mph and hit 5 straight lights green every time, whether you're going north or south.  They're on the same timers... I can't figure out how this is possible.
Please pass this info on to all the cities that have no clue,  or are just trying to write tickets to those who are impatient with the whole ordeal.

Part of my commute is a stretch on a busy city street with lights that are badly timed.  But they're consistently bad. I can pretty much guarantee that after i exit the interstate onto this road the lights will be red green red green green red. At that point the left lane becomes left turn only and the road goes from 3 lanes to 2 westbound. Every morning there's a mad race to that redlight with people cutting each other out to see who can wait at the light the longest.  i usually take my time in the right lane and cruise up to everybody as the light is about to change.

I go to this one light that I swear is red or turns red at least 80% of the time I approach it.  And I'm approaching on a straightaway toward a freeway entrance ramp.  The stupid side that gets all the greens is a turning lane away from the freeway.

F that light. 

I had a nice streak going this morning when I got stopped in two short blocks by lights that never catch me.  Very minor side streets. I bet those lights stop main street traffic maybe 5%o f the time.  I hit them both.  Then, for the second morning in a row I had to divert due to police activity cleaning up accidents in nearly the same place and not at an intersection or blind curve.  Both accidents seem to be, from what I could view before being shunted off in another direction, head on collisions.  Weird in that the roadway is a boulevard with a substantial median.  You would really have to work to get on it going the wrong way.  Probably intoxication related I would guess.  Some folks are having a very bad day today while I was merely inconvenienced. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread