Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timschochet

Turkey invades Syria: Update- ISIS rebuilds

Recommended Posts

The US has backed 21 of the 28 ‘crazy’ militias leading Turkey’s brutal invasion of northern Syria

Former and current US officials have slammed the Turkish mercenary force of “Arab militias” for executing and beheading Kurds in northern Syria. New data from Turkey reveals that almost all of these militias were armed and trained in the past by the CIA and Pentagon.

By Max Blumenthal

Footage showing members of Turkey’s mercenary “national army” executing Kurdish captives as they led the Turkish invasion of northern Syria touched off a national outrage, provoking US government officials, pundits and major politicians to rage against their brutality.

In the Washington Post, a US official condemned the militias as a “crazy and unreliable.” Another official called them “thugs and bandits and pirates that should be wiped off the face of the earth.” Meanwhile, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton described the scene as a “sickening horror,” blaming President Donald Trump exclusively for the atrocities.

But the fighters involved in the atrocities in northern Syria were not just random tribesmen assembled into an ad hoc army. In fact, many were former members of the Free Syrian Army, the force once armed by the CIA and Pentagon and branded as “moderate rebels.” This disturbing context was conveniently omitted from the breathless denunciations of US officials and Western pundits.

According to a research paper published this October by the pro-government Turkish think tank SETA, “Out of the 28 factions [in the Turkish mercenary force], 21 were previously supported by the United States, three of them via the Pentagon’s program to combat DAESH. Eighteen of these factions were supplied by the CIA via the MOM Operations Room in Turkey, a joint intelligence operation room of the ‘Friends of Syria’ to support the armed opposition. Fourteen factions of the 28 were also recipients of the U.S.-supplied TOW anti-tank guided missiles.” (A graph by SETA naming the various militias and the type of US support they received is at the end of this article).

In other words, virtually the entire apparatus of anti-Assad insurgents armed and equipped under the Obama administration has been repurposed by the Turkish military to serve as the spearhead of its brutal invasion of northern Syria. The leader of this force is Salim Idriss, now the “Defense Minister” of Syria’s Turkish-backed “interim government.” He’s the same figure who hosted John McCain when the late senator made his infamous 2013 incursion into Syria.

The “sickening horror” this collection of extremists is carrying out against Kurds is, in fact, the same one it imposed on Syrians across the country for the past seven years. Before, when their goal was regime change in Damascus, they had the blessing and wholehearted support of official Washington. But now that they are slaughtering members of a much more loyal US proxy force, their former patrons and enablers are rushing to denounce them as “bandits and pirates.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

The US has backed 21 of the 28 ‘crazy’ militias leading Turkey’s brutal invasion of northern Syria

Former and current US officials have slammed the Turkish mercenary force of “Arab militias” for executing and beheading Kurds in northern Syria. New data from Turkey reveals that almost all of these militias were armed and trained in the past by the CIA and Pentagon.

By Max Blumenthal

Footage showing members of Turkey’s mercenary “national army” executing Kurdish captives as they led the Turkish invasion of northern Syria touched off a national outrage, provoking US government officials, pundits and major politicians to rage against their brutality.

In the Washington Post, a US official condemned the militias as a “crazy and unreliable.” Another official called them “thugs and bandits and pirates that should be wiped off the face of the earth.” Meanwhile, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton described the scene as a “sickening horror,” blaming President Donald Trump exclusively for the atrocities.

But the fighters involved in the atrocities in northern Syria were not just random tribesmen assembled into an ad hoc army. In fact, many were former members of the Free Syrian Army, the force once armed by the CIA and Pentagon and branded as “moderate rebels.” This disturbing context was conveniently omitted from the breathless denunciations of US officials and Western pundits.

According to a research paper published this October by the pro-government Turkish think tank SETA, “Out of the 28 factions [in the Turkish mercenary force], 21 were previously supported by the United States, three of them via the Pentagon’s program to combat DAESH. Eighteen of these factions were supplied by the CIA via the MOM Operations Room in Turkey, a joint intelligence operation room of the ‘Friends of Syria’ to support the armed opposition. Fourteen factions of the 28 were also recipients of the U.S.-supplied TOW anti-tank guided missiles.” (A graph by SETA naming the various militias and the type of US support they received is at the end of this article).

In other words, virtually the entire apparatus of anti-Assad insurgents armed and equipped under the Obama administration has been repurposed by the Turkish military to serve as the spearhead of its brutal invasion of northern Syria. The leader of this force is Salim Idriss, now the “Defense Minister” of Syria’s Turkish-backed “interim government.” He’s the same figure who hosted John McCain when the late senator made his infamous 2013 incursion into Syria.

The “sickening horror” this collection of extremists is carrying out against Kurds is, in fact, the same one it imposed on Syrians across the country for the past seven years. Before, when their goal was regime change in Damascus, they had the blessing and wholehearted support of official Washington. But now that they are slaughtering members of a much more loyal US proxy force, their former patrons and enablers are rushing to denounce them as “bandits and pirates.”

None of this would be happening if Trump was even a little bit competent at his job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Kal El said:

Also accurate. Honestly, Colonel Blake was a better leader as well.

I’d take Radar. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump's deference to Turkish-backed terrorists in Syria isn't so much a betrayal of US foreign policy as a continuation of it.  Betraying the Kurds is an American pastime.  The same pundits howling about genocide of the Kurds are generally radio silent about US support for the Saudi genocide in Yemen under Trump/Obama, and Israel's slow genocide of the Palestinians.  The same people now rightly denouncing these animals as homicidal maniacs were glad to celebrate them as Oscar-winning 'moderate rebels,' when they spearheaded a Western/Gulf/CIA operation to overthrow the Assad govt.  There has been a lot of outrage about this, but not nearly as much about the US sending troops to Saudi Arabia- who funds ISIS.  They are even saying that US policy in Syria wasn't about regime change- an out and out falsehood.  They don't care about the Kurds, and they certainly don't care about the death and destruction they've wrought across the earth.

Again and again, history is rewritten to launder all of our crimes onto Trump.  To paint him as a unique evil, and the previous US security establishment as righteous and good before he came along.  But we've been this way for a long time.  This sort of condemnation shouldn't be limited to just Trump, but the whole DC blob.  They have always shilled endless wars, and they will shill them long after Trump is gone.  The hypocrisy is just astounding.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Trump's deference to Turkish-backed terrorists in Syria isn't so much a betrayal of US foreign policy as a continuation of it.  Betraying the Kurds is an American pastime.  The same pundits howling about genocide of the Kurds are generally radio silent about US support for the Saudi genocide in Yemen under Trump/Obama, and Israel's slow genocide of the Palestinians.  The same people now rightly denouncing these animals as homicidal maniacs were glad to celebrate them as Oscar-winning 'moderate rebels,' when they spearheaded a Western/Gulf/CIA operation to overthrow the Assad govt.  There has been a lot of outrage about this, but not nearly as much about the US sending troops to Saudi Arabia- who funds ISIS.  They are even saying that US policy in Syria wasn't about regime change- an out and out falsehood.  They don't care about the Kurds, and they certainly don't care about the death and destruction they've wrought across the earth.

Again and again, history is rewritten to launder all of our crimes onto Trump.  To paint him as a unique evil, and the previous US security establishment as righteous and good before he came along.  But we've been this way for a long time.  This sort of condemnation shouldn't be limited to just Trump, but the whole DC blob.  They have always shilled endless wars, and they will shill them long after Trump is gone.  The hypocrisy is just astounding.  

You may find if you search that people were up in arms about previous betrayals of the Kurds by multiple administrations. 
 

And people are quite upset about sending troops to Saudi Arabia.  There’s a good bit of hypocrisy to go around, what with all the people who have paid no attention whatsoever to our foreign policy for decades now hopping in to defend Trump as though they understand what’s going on based on some very tenuous talking point released by some very disingenuous sources. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Trump's deference to Turkish-backed terrorists in Syria isn't so much a betrayal of US foreign policy as a continuation of it.  Betraying the Kurds is an American pastime.  The same pundits howling about genocide of the Kurds are generally radio silent about US support for the Saudi genocide in Yemen under Trump/Obama, and Israel's slow genocide of the Palestinians.  The same people now rightly denouncing these animals as homicidal maniacs were glad to celebrate them as Oscar-winning 'moderate rebels,' when they spearheaded a Western/Gulf/CIA operation to overthrow the Assad govt.  There has been a lot of outrage about this, but not nearly as much about the US sending troops to Saudi Arabia- who funds ISIS.  They are even saying that US policy in Syria wasn't about regime change- an out and out falsehood.  They don't care about the Kurds, and they certainly don't care about the death and destruction they've wrought across the earth.

Again and again, history is rewritten to launder all of our crimes onto Trump.  To paint him as a unique evil, and the previous US security establishment as righteous and good before he came along.  But we've been this way for a long time.  This sort of condemnation shouldn't be limited to just Trump, but the whole DC blob.  They have always shilled endless wars, and they will shill them long after Trump is gone.  The hypocrisy is just astounding.  

Lol. 

I have a challenge for you @ren hoek. I want you to name an American politician in modern history, that had power, that you respect. By modern history I mean our last 100 years. Since 1919. It has to be someone who held actual power, and it has to be somebody you respect. Go. 

Edited by timschochet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being honest about what Trump is isn't defending him.  Being honest about US foreign policy isn't defending Trump.  What's disingenuous is pretending the current hysterics have something to do with caring about the Kurds, when those same people generally had nothing to say about the CIA fomenting a civil war in Syria in the first place.  They had nothing to say about the west backing some of the same forces which are now ethnically cleansing the Kurds.  I don't agree with what Trump is doing, I don't buy his stated reasons for doing so, and there was never going to be a pretty way to leave Syria behind.  We never should have meddled in their affairs in the first place.  If we hadn't done that, there would be no US/Syria policy for Trump to butcher.  

I've not been around as long as some people, evidenced by the fact that I didn't fall for the Cold War 2.0 TrumpRussia garbage like certain people did.  But I've been around long enough to know this is about manipulating people's emotions into supporting US involvement in Syria for all eternity.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Lol. 

I have a challenge for you @ren hoek. I want you to name an American politician in modern history, that had power, that you respect. By modern history I mean our last 100 years. Since 1919. It has to be someone who held actual power, and it has to be somebody you respect. Go. 

Seems simple enough- JFK.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Being honest about what Trump is isn't defending him.  Being honest about US foreign policy isn't defending Trump.  What's disingenuous is pretending the current hysterics have something to do with caring about the Kurds, when those same people generally had nothing to say about the CIA fomenting a civil war in Syria in the first place.  They had nothing to say about the west backing some of the same forces which are now ethnically cleansing the Kurds.  I don't agree with what Trump is doing, I don't buy his stated reasons for doing so, and there was never going to be a pretty way to leave Syria behind.  We never should have meddled in their affairs in the first place.  If we hadn't done that, there would be no US/Syria policy for Trump to butcher.  

I've not been around as long as some people, evidenced by the fact that I didn't fall for the Cold War 2.0 TrumpRussia garbage like certain people did.  But I've been around long enough to know this is about manipulating people's emotions into supporting US involvement in Syria for all eternity.  

Yeah. Totally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, timschochet said:

Lol. 

I have a challenge for you @ren hoek. I want you to name an American politician in modern history, that had power, that you respect. By modern history I mean our last 100 years. Since 1919. It has to be someone who held actual power, and it has to be somebody you respect. Go. 

Does Putin count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

And, naturally, the troops aren't coming home- they are just being reassigned to Iraq:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-troops-leaving-syria-will-be-assigned-to-iraq-defense-chief-says-11571542784

and more going to saudi......so much for atopping endless wars....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ren hoek said:

And, naturally, the troops aren't coming home- they are just being reassigned to Iraq:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-troops-leaving-syria-will-be-assigned-to-iraq-defense-chief-says-11571542784

And Trump is already reversing course and now wants to keep a couple hundred in Northern Syria.

 

ETA - I stand corrected - he wants to keep them in Eastern Syria.  Northern Syria still belongs to Turkey

 

Trump Said to Favor Leaving a Few Hundred Troops in Eastern Syria

The president appears to be trying to balance competing impulses: bringing troops home while ensuring that efforts to contain ISIS will continue — and answering withering criticism for his Syria policy.

Edited by Sinn Fein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kal El said:

None of this would be happening if Trump was even a little bit competent at his job.

I think the point of the article is it still would be happening and has happened. Just depends which group it is happening to. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I think the point of the article is it still would be happening and has happened. Just depends which group it is happening to. 

It wouldn't be happening at all if Trump had left the situation alone. But no, he had to try and distract from his crimes at home, hey, why not destabilize an already shaky region for ##### and giggles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kal El said:

It wouldn't be happening at all if Trump had left the situation alone. But no, he had to try and distract from his crimes at home, hey, why not destabilize an already shaky region for ##### and giggles?

Wouldn't be happening at all if we hadn't stuck our noses in it to begin with, just like the slave markets in Libya.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Navin Johnson said:

Wouldn't be happening at all if we hadn't stuck our noses in it to begin with, just like the slave markets in Libya.  

Also accurate.

That wasn't our fight, but once Obama got us involved(which I didn't agree with), the worst thing would be to abandon our allies on the field against a superior enemy that already has bad blood against them, then completely screw up the "ceasefire," then claim that everything was a rousing success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kal El said:

Also accurate.

That wasn't our fight, but once Obama got us involved(which I didn't agree with), the worst thing would be to abandon our allies on the field against a superior enemy that already has bad blood against them, then completely screw up the "ceasefire," then claim that everything was a rousing success.

Worst thing?  That is pretty much the only thing that happens once we decide to leave after bludgeoning a country and ousting its leader.  It is by design.  The Dulles brothers were ####s but the foresight they had creating this was outstanding.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Trump's deference to Turkish-backed terrorists in Syria isn't so much a betrayal of US foreign policy as a continuation of it.  Betraying the Kurds is an American pastime.  The same pundits howling about genocide of the Kurds are generally radio silent about US support for the Saudi genocide in Yemen under Trump/Obama, and Israel's slow genocide of the Palestinians.  The same people now rightly denouncing these animals as homicidal maniacs were glad to celebrate them as Oscar-winning 'moderate rebels,' when they spearheaded a Western/Gulf/CIA operation to overthrow the Assad govt.  There has been a lot of outrage about this, but not nearly as much about the US sending troops to Saudi Arabia- who funds ISIS.  They are even saying that US policy in Syria wasn't about regime change- an out and out falsehood.  They don't care about the Kurds, and they certainly don't care about the death and destruction they've wrought across the earth.

Again and again, history is rewritten to launder all of our crimes onto Trump.  To paint him as a unique evil, and the previous US security establishment as righteous and good before he came along.  But we've been this way for a long time.  This sort of condemnation shouldn't be limited to just Trump, but the whole DC blob.  They have always shilled endless wars, and they will shill them long after Trump is gone.  The hypocrisy is just astounding.  

Very true.  Most people don't really seem to care about the plight of many people in the world until it's politically beneficial to care, then it's suddenly a major emergency.  Republicans that were ok with Bush starting wars suddently were outraged at Obama's drone attacks that killed citizens.  Democrats that didn't bat an eye at the Obama drone attacks, are outraged at Trump's actions that affect the Kurds.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

The president appears to be trying to balance competing impulses: bringing troops home while ensuring that efforts to contain ISIS will continue — and answering withering criticism for his Syria policy.

They’re not containing ISIS.  They practically invented them.  Toppling democratically elected leaders and installing US-friendly dictatorships has been official policy in the ME and global south for several decades. When Hussein became inconvenient, we overthrew him too.  

Our gulf partners fund ISIS.  It’s as if they created an enemy out of thin air, one they could plant anywhere they wanted to in the ME, then have an excuse to bomb the #### out of it and overthrow the leadership it doesn’t like.  Our free press does its job by portraying them as moderate freedom fighters.  

We overthrew Iraq, and then ISIS took over.  We overthrew Libya, and then ISIS took over.  It’s weird how this strategy keeps failing, yet we keep doing it anyway.  It’s not until you understand that this policy has not been a mistake or unintended consequence, but a resounding success beyond their wildest dreams that we can understand their real motivations.  There is a very easy way to end terrorism- stop supporting it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:

Worst thing?  That is pretty much the only thing that happens once we decide to leave after bludgeoning a country and ousting its leader.  It is by design.  The Dulles brothers were ####s but the foresight they had creating this was outstanding.

Isn't Assad still in power? They didn't even succeed at that this time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Trump's deference to Turkish-backed terrorists in Syria isn't so much a betrayal of US foreign policy as a continuation of it.  Betraying the Kurds is an American pastime.  The same pundits howling about genocide of the Kurds are generally radio silent about US support for the Saudi genocide in Yemen under Trump/Obama, and Israel's slow genocide of the Palestinians.  The same people now rightly denouncing these animals as homicidal maniacs were glad to celebrate them as Oscar-winning 'moderate rebels,' when they spearheaded a Western/Gulf/CIA operation to overthrow the Assad govt.  There has been a lot of outrage about this, but not nearly as much about the US sending troops to Saudi Arabia- who funds ISIS.  They are even saying that US policy in Syria wasn't about regime change- an out and out falsehood.  They don't care about the Kurds, and they certainly don't care about the death and destruction they've wrought across the earth.

Again and again, history is rewritten to launder all of our crimes onto Trump.  To paint him as a unique evil, and the previous US security establishment as righteous and good before he came along.  But we've been this way for a long time.  This sort of condemnation shouldn't be limited to just Trump, but the whole DC blob.  They have always shilled endless wars, and they will shill them long after Trump is gone.  The hypocrisy is just astounding.  

Yup. But he's the main one we can vote out for continuing it.  Can't vote Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush or Reagan out of office for this fiasco.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, shader said:

Very true.  Most people don't really seem to care about the plight of many people in the world until it's politically beneficial to care, then it's suddenly a major emergency.  Republicans that were ok with Bush starting wars suddently were outraged at Obama's drone attacks that killed citizens.  Democrats that didn't bat an eye at the Obama drone attacks, are outraged at Trump's actions that affect the Kurds.  

 

This isn't true at all. I remember having a lot of discussions on this board about that issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've proven, time and again, that we have no clue how to unwind these wars we get ourselves involved in, usually leaving as big, if not bigger, a mess as there was before we got involved. You'd think we'd have learned how to do that better, or how to not get involved so often, or maybe both. But the trend seems to be the opposite direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Kal El said:

Isn't Assad still in power? They didn't even succeed at that this time!

Given our record, the current situation would be exponentially worse if they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Navin Johnson said:

Given our record, the current situation would be exponentially worse if they did.

You're probably not wrong in that assessment. The guy is a first class despot, but our track record speaks for itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CNBC@CNBC

Trump is 'fully prepared' to take military action against Turkey if needed, Mike Pompeo says https://cnb.cx/2p4U27F

 

 

This of course begs the question - if we retaliate against Turkey, and they then invoke NATO's Article 5, do we then have to engage in friendly fire against our own positions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

CNBC@CNBC

Trump is 'fully prepared' to take military action against Turkey if needed, Mike Pompeo says https://cnb.cx/2p4U27F

 

 

This of course begs the question - if we retaliate against Turkey, and they then invoke NATO's Article 5, do we then have to engage in friendly fire against our own positions?

So...not bringing soldiers home then?

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sinn Fein said:

This of course begs the question - if we retaliate against Turkey, and they then invoke NATO's Article 5, do we then have to engage in friendly fire against our own positions?

I think we've pre-emptively done this by bombing the bases we're abandoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

CNBC@CNBC

Trump is 'fully prepared' to take military action against Turkey if needed, Mike Pompeo says https://cnb.cx/2p4U27F

 

 

This of course begs the question - if we retaliate against Turkey, and they then invoke NATO's Article 5, do we then have to engage in friendly fire against our own positions?

Sooo, do we know where are troops are and where we are sending them today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

CNBC@CNBC

Trump is 'fully prepared' to take military action against Turkey if needed, Mike Pompeo says https://cnb.cx/2p4U27F

 

 

This of course begs the question - if we retaliate against Turkey, and they then invoke NATO's Article 5, do we then have to engage in friendly fire against our own positions?

Step 1: Unbomb our base....

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Step 1: Unbomb our base....

Apparently - I don't have a link - Erdogan responded to Trump's letter with:

 

"All your base are belong to us."

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

CNBC@CNBC

Trump is 'fully prepared' to take military action against Turkey if needed, Mike Pompeo says https://cnb.cx/2p4U27F

 

 

This of course begs the question - if we retaliate against Turkey, and they then invoke NATO's Article 5, do we then have to engage in friendly fire against our own positions?

I still can't quite wrap my head around the fact that this entire situation involving Syria and Turkey is the direct result of Trump wanting to take heat off of his impending impeachment, but since he made the boneheaded decision to abandon the Kurds, he's doubling and tripling down on bad decision after bad decision, and literally every decision he makes is making things worse. Now he's ready to step back in again after leaving? Why do I smell burning? Are those my synapses frying?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yak651 said:

Sooo, do we know where are troops are and where we are sending them today?

I heard on the radio this morning that the first of the troops have arrived in some city in Iraq that I can't recall. So yeah, we just moved our people around. Nobody is coming home. In fact, I'd say they're likely to be more in harm's way than before since now the Kurds may want to kill us. 

*The Kurd comment is pure speculation on my part, but I know that if I were a Kurd, I'd be collecting GI ears right about now..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2019 at 10:36 PM, irishidiot said:

your a funny guy.  available for parties?

You didn’t respond to the article. Telling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

Kurdish citizens throwing potatoes and tomatoes at US vehicles as they leave.  Amazing how far we've fallen.

I forget - are potatoes and tomatoes better or worse than shoes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that Trump is calling the shots on US foreign policy is the scariest thing about his presidency.  The man is a borderline illiterate simpleton.  He is about the least qualified person in Washington to be making these decisions.  And, to make it worse, his narcissism is so profound, that he doesn’t enlist the help of those able to mitigate against his gross incompetence.  
 

It is truly unbelievable.  The US of ####### A has a halfwit dictating its foreign policy. 
 

bananas. 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zoonation said:

The man is a borderline illiterate simpleton.

Trump ordered that border to be closed.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Russia and Turkey just agreed to joint control of the Kurdish area of Syria.  

No one has seen the agreement yet, but dollars to donuts it gives Russia at least partial control of the Syrian oil fields the Kurds held.  This is a stunning victory for Russia.

Edited by Henry Ford
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putin and Erdogan Announce Plan for Northeast Syria, Bolstering Russian Influence

Russia’s leader hosted his Turkish counterpart as a U.S.-brokered cease-fire with Kurdish forces came to an end, underscoring Moscow’s emergence as a powerful player in the Middle East.

 

SOCHI, Russia — His jets patrol Syrian skies. His military is expanding operations at the main naval base in Syria. He is forging closer ties to Turkey. He and his Syrian allies are moving into territory being vacated by the United States.

And on Tuesday, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia played host to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, for more than six hours of talks on how they and other regional players will divide control of Syria, a land devastated by eight years of civil war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Russia and Turkey just agreed to joint control of the Kurdish area of Syria.  

No one has seen the agreement yet, but dollars to donuts it gives Russia at least partial control of the Syrian oil fields the Kurds held.  This is a stunning victory for Russia.

Unpossible, we secured the oil, remember?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops.  I lied, apparently.  The text of the agreement is out.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1186692319703130119?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

And yes. They mention using the Astana Mechanism to restore political stability to the region.  Putin's wanted to use the Astana talks to create a corridor for Russian/Turkish/Iranian pipeline transportation for some time. Probably where that ends up going.  Guess it's settled, then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish we knew what was discussed in Helsinki. I'm sure there's a perfectly fine explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 11:29 AM, shader said:

Very true.  Most people don't really seem to care about the plight of many people in the world until it's politically beneficial to care, then it's suddenly a major emergency.  Republicans that were ok with Bush starting wars suddently were outraged at Obama's drone attacks that killed citizens.  Democrats that didn't bat an eye at the Obama drone attacks, are outraged at Trump's actions that affect the Kurds.  

Sometimes I still see that "tan suit was Obama's biggest scandal!" joke online.  The Iraq War was a disaster on an unimaginable scale, but Obama's extrajudicial killing of Abdulrahman al-Awlaki was a frightening abuse of power too.   

When Trayvon Martin was killed, Obama mourned him as if he 'could have been his own son.'  Well I thought Abdulrahman looked like he could have been Obama's son too.  The family never got an apology.  As if it weren't bad enough, he makes a joke at the white house access journo club dinner about being really good at killing people with predator drones.  

Now Bush is out there painting pictures and dancing with Ellen, Obama's out there windsurfing with billionaires, and people miss them again?  Just shut it down already, we deserve Trump.  

Edited by ren hoek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, whoknew said:

This isn't true at all. I remember having a lot of discussions on this board about that issue.

I remember the debates and people were indeed fairly consistent in their dissent from President Obama's extrajudicial handling of drone strikes on U.S. citizens. The fervor, however, was nowhere near the unbridled disgust and passion brought about by a Trump tweet to this audience.

Yeah, you protested. But there was no there there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ren hoek said:

When Trayvon Martin was killed, Obama mourned him as if he 'could have been his own son.'  Well I thought Abdulrahman looked like he could have been Obama's son too.  The family never got an apology.  As if it weren't bad enough, he makes a joke at the white house access journo club dinner about being really good at killing people with predator drones.  

We only care about foreigners when it is politically expedient to do so. 

Dont need to look any further than the crisis at the border. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

President Trump is about to address the nation with “good news” about Syria. I am sure he will explain everything and calm us all down. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.