What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turkey invades Syria: Update- ISIS rebuilds (3 Viewers)

The fact that Trump is calling the shots on US foreign policy is the scariest thing about his presidency.  The man is a borderline illiterate simpleton.  He is about the least qualified person in Washington to be making these decisions.  And, to make it worse, his narcissism is so profound, that he doesn’t enlist the help of those able to mitigate against his gross incompetence.  

It is truly unbelievable.  The US of ####### A has a halfwit dictating its foreign policy. 

bananas. 

Russia and Turkey just agreed to joint control of the Kurdish area of Syria.  

No one has seen the agreement yet, but dollars to donuts it gives Russia at least partial control of the Syrian oil fields the Kurds held.  This is a stunning victory for Russia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Putin and Erdogan Announce Plan for Northeast Syria, Bolstering Russian Influence

Russia’s leader hosted his Turkish counterpart as a U.S.-brokered cease-fire with Kurdish forces came to an end, underscoring Moscow’s emergence as a powerful player in the Middle East.

SOCHI, Russia — His jets patrol Syrian skies. His military is expanding operations at the main naval base in Syria. He is forging closer ties to Turkey. He and his Syrian allies are moving into territory being vacated by the United States.

And on Tuesday, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia played host to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, for more than six hours of talks on how they and other regional players will divide control of Syria, a land devastated by eight years of civil war.

Russia and Turkey just agreed to joint control of the Kurdish area of Syria.  

No one has seen the agreement yet, but dollars to donuts it gives Russia at least partial control of the Syrian oil fields the Kurds held.  This is a stunning victory for Russia.
Unpossible, we secured the oil, remember?

shader said:
Very true.  Most people don't really seem to care about the plight of many people in the world until it's politically beneficial to care, then it's suddenly a major emergency.  Republicans that were ok with Bush starting wars suddently were outraged at Obama's drone attacks that killed citizens.  Democrats that didn't bat an eye at the Obama drone attacks, are outraged at Trump's actions that affect the Kurds.  
Sometimes I still see that "tan suit was Obama's biggest scandal!" joke online.  The Iraq War was a disaster on an unimaginable scale, but Obama's extrajudicial killing of Abdulrahman al-Awlaki was a frightening abuse of power too.   

When Trayvon Martin was killed, Obama mourned him as if he 'could have been his own son.'  Well I thought Abdulrahman looked like he could have been Obama's son too.  The family never got an apology.  As if it weren't bad enough, he makes a joke at the white house access journo club dinner about being really good at killing people with predator drones.  

Now Bush is out there painting pictures and dancing with Ellen, Obama's out there windsurfing with billionaires, and people miss them again?  Just shut it down already, we deserve Trump.  

whoknew said:
This isn't true at all. I remember having a lot of discussions on this board about that issue.
I remember the debates and people were indeed fairly consistent in their dissent from President Obama's extrajudicial handling of drone strikes on U.S. citizens. The fervor, however, was nowhere near the unbridled disgust and passion brought about by a Trump tweet to this audience.

Yeah, you protested. But there was no there there.

When Trayvon Martin was killed, Obama mourned him as if he 'could have been his own son.'  Well I thought Abdulrahman looked like he could have been Obama's son too.  The family never got an apology.  As if it weren't bad enough, he makes a joke at the white house access journo club dinner about being really good at killing people with predator drones.  
We only care about foreigners when it is politically expedient to do so. 

Dont need to look any further than the crisis at the border. 

Trump announces Turkey agrees to a permanent ceasefire. As a result we are lifting our sanctions. Yayyy! We have secured the oil so a small group of troops will be staying. And we will decide what to do with it. 

The USA did this, nobody else. We now have peace between Turkey, Syria and the Kurds. So now we are leaving. Let someone else fight over this bloodstained sand. Thanks to Pence and Pompeo. We have saved countless lives. An outcome reached without spilling one drop of American blood. 

I just spoke to General Mazlum of the Kurds. He is so grateful to us, so happy. And he guarantees the ISIS killers will stay under lock and key. 

We reserve the right to impose crippling sanctions on Turkey if they don’t keep their word. 

It’s up to Syria and Turkey and the Kurds to make sure ISIS comes back. It’s their neighborhood. 

The people that got us into the Middle East mess now want me to send troops back there. I don’t think so. How many Americans have died? I am committed to a different course. Today validates my decision two weeks ago. People are saying “wow what a victory!” 

He's such a clown. 

"Many people are saying, wow, what an outcome. Congratulations. But it's too early too congratulate me."*

*I might be a word or two off here.

Trump announces Turkey agrees to a permanent ceasefire. As a result we are lifting our sanctions. Yayyy! We have secured the oil so a small group of troops will be staying. And we will decide what to do with it. 

The USA did this, nobody else. We now have peace between Turkey, Syria and the Kurds. So now we are leaving. Let someone else fight over this bloodstained sand. Thanks to Pence and Pompeo. We have saved countless lives. An outcome reached without spilling one drop of American blood. 

I just spoke to General Mazlum of the Kurds. He is so grateful to us, so happy. And he guarantees the ISIS killers will stay under lock and key. 

We reserve the right to impose crippling sanctions on Turkey if they don’t keep their word. 
Wow, great news, war sucks

We have spent 8 trillion dollars on wars in the Middle East, and we never wanted to win. The same people that pushed for this want us to open our borders to terrorists and criminals. It won’t be allowed to happen again. 

I want to thank Mr Erdogan, a great man who loves his country. And I want to thank General Mazlum who was so grateful to us for saving lives. 

So Trump makes a very simplistic, populist policy, and no doubt he will run on it next year. Will the American public approve? They might. Most people don’t know the details of our involvement in the Middle East and don’t want to. A lot of people might like this. 

At this moment in time, it is the best possible outcome given the rash decision to pull out to begin with. We'll see what happens in the days and weeks to come.

TRUMP on Syria's oil: "We've secured the oil and, therefore, a small number of US Troops will remain in the area. Where they have the oil. And we're going to be protecting it, and we'll be deciding what we're going to do with it in the future."

:oldunsure:

Are we stealing their oil?  Or just holding it for Putin?

The reason rulers like Assad become official boogeymen is not because the US cares about human rights all of a sudden, but because they stand between US oil and the neocons.  This is what the CIA does, rinse and repeat, over and over and over again.  They set countries ablaze, arm violent opposition, watch the people burn, and then go in to play savior. 

It wasn't long ago that Assad was the darling of the west.  What changed?  Did Bashar Assad just arbitrarily decide to start murdering his own people?  What changed- of course, obviously- was the oil politics.  

But, you know. “Muh oil” I guess. 

Wait a minute. You mean the hyperventilation about abandoning the Kurds wasn’t about saving the Kurds, but oil the whole time?  No way!!!!!! I can’t believe it this time!!!!

Well I’m glad that US troops will continue occupying the middle east for oil.  For a second there I was worried we were going to bring some troops home.  Leaving the region and its natural resources to its own devices would have been a stunning victory for Russia.  Glad Trump saved the oi- I mean, stood up for the Kurds here.

Political science on a macro scale from the 1900s through today is, on some level, the study of the transfer of oil.

That said, there is a big difference between saying that the Russians have worked to orchestrate things in their favor for oil at this time and saying the reason we were there was oil.  One can see a bad result from multiple perspectives.  Otherwise one isn't looking at the big picture and is susceptible to the kind of manipulation that just went down with the President.

TRUMP on Syria's oil: "We've secured the oil and, therefore, a small number of US Troops will remain in the area. Where they have the oil. And we're going to be protecting it, and we'll be deciding what we're going to do with it in the future."

:oldunsure:

Are we stealing their oil?  Or just holding it for Putin?
One of the original benefits to the Kurds helping us is that the U.S. helped them secure the oil reserves they "control", which is a massive boon to the Kurds. 

The post ren didn't quote was this:

That was twelve years ago. When an actual neocon was in charge. And Bush, like his dad and Reagan, would sign on with anyone who would ally up at all with the US, this time over Al Qaeda.  Assad was willing to be a Middle East voice for the US in the War on Terror.

Then Obama became President and stopped supporting him, and his administration called out Assad for his support of Hamas and Palestinian terrorist organizations in addition to other Palestinian right wing militants who we considered borderline paramilitary organizations.  And providing tactical ballistic missiles to Hezbollah. Obama levied sanctions against Syrian officials, companies, and banks.

And then, while the US was withdrawing support, the Syrian civil war started in 2012.  After Houla, where 80 women and children were slaughtered, we effectively severed diplomatic ties and from 2011 on attempted to get the UN heavily involved, including with sanctions and a peacekeeping force, but were blocked by Russia, China, and a couple of others.

One of the original benefits to the Kurds helping us is that the U.S. helped them secure the oil reserves they "control", which is a massive boon to the Kurds. 

The post ren didn't quote was this:
Your post just said "the Syrian civil war started in 2012."  You omit the billion+ dollar operation by the CIA, called Timber Sycamore, to arm, train, and support violent rebels.  Some of whom went on to participate in genocide against the Kurds.  They did this to foment regime change in Syria, because Assad was not on board with a Qatari/Saudi pipeline.  That's when the dynamic changed.  That's when the violence started.  

When I raised this point- that it was predominantly about oil and pipeline politics- you insulted it.  But I was right, and you were wrong.  Even you yourself mentioned the oil in northern Syria as part of Russia's stunning victory, how it would enable a pipeline for their energy markets.  Trump just said what everyone already knew- it is about oil.  

Of course, the Russians, who sell 70 percent of their gas exports to Europe, viewed the Qatar/Turkey pipeline as an existential threat. In Putin's view, the Qatar pipeline is a NATO plot to change the status quo, deprive Russia of its only foothold in the Middle East, strangle the Russian economy and end Russian leverage in the European energy market. In 2009, Assad announced that he would refuse to sign the agreement to allow the pipeline to run through Syria “to protect the interests of our Russian ally."

Assad further enraged the Gulf's Sunni monarchs by endorsing a Russian approved “Islamic pipeline" running from Iran's side of the gas field through Syria and to the ports of Lebanon. The Islamic pipeline would make Shia Iran instead of Sunni Qatar, the principal supplier to the European energy market and dramatically increase Tehran's influence in the Mid-East and the world. Israel also was understandably determined to derail the Islamic pipeline which would enrich Iran and Syria and presumably strengthen their proxies, Hezbollah and Hamas.

Secret cables and reports by the U.S., Saudi and Israeli intelligence agencies indicate that the moment Assad rejected the Qatari pipeline, military and intelligence planners quickly arrived at the consensus that fomenting a Sunni uprising in Syria to overthrow the uncooperative Bashar Assad was a feasible path to achieving the shared objective of completing the Qatar/Turkey gas link. In 2009, according to WikiLeaks, soon after Bashar Assad rejected the Qatar pipeline, the CIA began funding opposition groups in Syria.

https://www.ecowatch.com/syria-another-pipeline-war-1882180532.html?page=4

Your post just said "the Syrian civil war started in 2012."  You omit the billion+ dollar operation by the CIA, called Timber Sycamore, to arm, train, and support violent rebels.  Some of whom went on to participate in genocide against the Kurds.  They did this to foment regime change in Syria, because Assad was not on board with a Qatari/Saudi pipeline.  That's when the dynamic changed.  That's when the violence started.  

When I raised this point- that it was predominantly about oil and pipeline politics- you insulted it.  But I was right, and you were wrong.  Even you yourself mentioned the oil in northern Syria as part of Russia's stunning victory, how it would enable a pipeline for their energy markets.  Trump just said what everyone already knew- it is about oil.  
No.  The fact that it became about just oil to Donald Trump does not mean that's what it's been about this whole time.  How do you not see that?  Trump talking about the oil being okay when we left the Kurds out to dry is precisely the kind of thing people are upset about.  Putin using this to take control of Syrian oil is why he's scum.  

Russia demanded on Thursday that any remaining U.S. soldiers in Syria leave the country, denouncing the United States as an occupying force in the war-torn Middle Eastern state.

"As for the presence of American soldiers in Syria, our position is well known. Only the Russian units are present in Syria legitimately at the invitation of the Syrian leadership," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in comments carried by state news agency TASS.

They're not wrong.  The US has no legitimate pretense for occupying Syria.  Neither did the Turks for that matter, but that’s only our business to the extent a NATO ally illegally invades another country and funds a rebel insurrection to overthrow its govt.  I’m not sure what verb I’d use for a country asking us to stop illegally occupying another one, but it certainly wouldn’t be ‘emasculate’.  

Besides, why would Russia be asking the US to withdraw forces?  I thought Trump already gave them everything they wanted in their stunning victory?  I don’t understand why people keep insisting on framing the world through dumb collusion myth.  

Less than 24 hours after President Trump declared a permanent ceasefire, lifted sanctions, and congratulated himself, Turkey is resuming their military offensive.

Per reporting, Turkey is using militias, which include former ISIS and al-Qaida members, committing all kinds of crimes against humanity (and making videos of these to scare off Kurds and get them to leave- ethnic cleansing)- Turkey claims they have no control over the militias (which is false) and thus they are keeping to their word about the ceasefire.

Meanwhile Trump just tweeted: "Maybe it's time the Kurds relocate to the oil areas."

Per reporting, Turkey is using militias, which include former ISIS and al-Qaida members, committing all kinds of crimes against humanity (and making videos of these to scare off Kurds and get them to leave- ethnic cleansing)- Turkey claims they have no control over the militias (which is false) and thus they are keeping to their word about the ceasefire.

Meanwhile Trump just tweeted: "Maybe it's time the Kurds relocate to the oil areas."
Is this like the Madagascar Plan to relocate Jews from Europe. Out of  harms  way?

Wow. I don't want to type what I'm really thinking, because I'm fairly sure I'll get a trip to the sin bin. He abandons the Kurds, lets Turkey and now Russia run amok while claiming everything's peachy keen, then has the stones to say the Kurds should move. If you weren't a coward and a crook, Donald, they probably wouldn't be in this situation!

Users who are viewing this thread