What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Halloween is cancelled (1 Viewer)

usually we get a good amount of trick-or-treaters since the K-6 is right behind our house. however, school has been cancelled this week and most/all homes in the neighborhood are still without power from the shutoffs. rumor has it that we might get power back on the 31st at some point, but don't have any sense of how many kids we might see. and i'm staring down a CostCo sized bag of mixed candy (M&Ms, Kit Kat, Snickers, Milky Way, 100,000) which i really shouldn't eat.

Ok - it wasn't cancelled - but they might as well have done that.

We are expecting rain tomorrow, and so Trick-or-Treating was postponed until Saturday from 3-5

That seems like a ####ty time to go trick or treating.
The Shark Move is to dress your kids in a rain friendly costume (Lobster fisherman, scuba diver, etc). You get first dibs on all the candy. And towards the end of the night, the people that don't know about Saturday afternoon will start handing out handfuls of candy. 

Sage advice from a fat guy. 

We are expecting rain tomorrow, and so Trick-or-Treating was postponed until Saturday from 3-5

Re: bolded

Who decided this?
We are expecting snow tomorrow.

Some communities hold it on the Sunday before.  Depending on the time change I think I prefer that.  Gives at least a portion of it available before it is dark.  I feel that is a good thing especially with younger Trick or Treaters.

Re: bolded

Who decided this?
City Council?  Maybe the mayor?

City is having a rough week - Trump is going to be in town on Monday, which is disrupting everything going on Monday afternoon.  Schools apparently considered shutting down early, but ultimately decided to just cancel all after-school activities.

ETA - 

Mayor Linda Gorton announced Wednesday Lexington will move its trick-or-treat celebration to Saturday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m..

“”I’m erring on the side of caution,” Gorton said. “The weather forecast for Thursday remains uncertain. On Saturday children can trick-or-treat earlier to take advantage of the daylight and the forecast is clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the second year in a row that trick-or-treating has been moved.  

I probably should have posted in the climate change thread.  We must act now!

Same here- awful weather and it was just 60 sunny two days ago. 

I'm in Washington.  It nearly always rains for Halloween (although this year is supposed to be clear and cold).   Why would it get cancelled or moved?   Is the rain toxic or something?

I'm in Washington.  It nearly always rains for Halloween (although this year is supposed to be clear and cold).   Why would it get cancelled or moved?   Is the rain toxic or something?
No, but who wants to walk around drinking beer in the rain?

Gives them courage to go up to a strangers house and beg for candy.
I remember when I was a kid, everyone on our street was friends. When my dad took us trick or treating, he would take along a shot glass. 

Ah, the good old days. 

This whole country has gone soft. I remember the Halloween blizzard of 1991. We got 36 inches of snow that night but the kids kept coming. Nothing stopped those kids back then. Since I'm a geezer I think I'll go sit in my rocker now, time for a nap.

This whole country has gone soft. I remember the Halloween blizzard of 1991. We got 36 inches of snow that night but the kids kept coming. Nothing stopped those kids back then. Since I'm a geezer I think I'll go sit in my rocker now, time for a nap.
Not around here. Since Sunday I have shoveled 9 inches of snow and the temperature has been below freezing since Sunday and as far as I know Halloween is still on for tomorrow night.

City Council?  Maybe the mayor?

City is having a rough week - Trump is going to be in town on Monday, which is disrupting everything going on Monday afternoon.  Schools apparently considered shutting down early, but ultimately decided to just cancel all after-school activities.

ETA - 

Mayor Linda Gorton announced Wednesday Lexington will move its trick-or-treat celebration to Saturday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m..

“”I’m erring on the side of caution,” Gorton said. “The weather forecast for Thursday remains uncertain. On Saturday children can trick-or-treat earlier to take advantage of the daylight and the forecast is clear.
drive to the next town over trick or treat and then you can do it again on Saturday boom Walla

I think there was one year growing up in Michigan that it was just pouring rain, nobody went out that night, that I remember anyway. Most years we didn't care the weather, just went anyway.

Here in Florida, it's 85 and breezy, tomorrow night there's a slight chance for rain, but that won't stop anyone.

Not around here. Since Sunday I have shoveled 9 inches of snow and the temperature has been below freezing since Sunday and as far as I know Halloween is still on for tomorrow night.
Exactly. I have shoveled snow multiple times this week. My wife and daughter have been off twice this week due to snow school closures. Tonight the low is 3 and tomorrow the high is 40, but you better believe we will still have 150+ kids come to our door--Colorado kids are tough. 

Cancel trick or treating because of rain?

Ours (SE PA) just got bumped from Thursday night to Friday night.  Problem is we are hosting a smallish family party for my in-laws 50th anniversary that day. We usually set up a campfire, food, beers, etc for Halloween.  This is going to end up a weird, hybrid, indoor 50th / outdoor Halloween party.

I think we just wised up.  

It's going to be 60 and rainy tomorrow.   That's pretty good weather for NE OH on Halloween.   Our town used to do trick or treat in the afternoon on the Sat before Halloween and it made for a good day to have a fire pit and neighborhood party.  

What the?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about  adults further ruining the magic of a night meant for kids.

Honestly Halloween should just be the last Saturday of October anyway. For parties and for trick or treating. 
I've said this for years. I actually own the domain makeitsaturday.com and was planning on putting something there to try and get that more wide spread. It makes a ton of sense because you dont need to rush home from work, kids can TnT during longer daylight hours, teens and adults can go out at night, no homework or school the next day. All that. 

However you would be amazed at the amount of people who are so opposed to this idea and stake claim to the whole 'Its all hallows eve!" "the 31st is important to the holiday!" "Its sacred" "If you are going to move Halloween, well then just move Christmas to a Saturday too!" 
I belong to a few halloween FB groups and every year it comes up—this year especially with the rain forecasts—and people are losing their minds.  :loco:

How is it ruining it? 
I don't know. I guess I'm just projecting my own feelings and fond memories of Halloween as a kid. They certainly never involved a 2-hour window of trick-or-treating in broad daylight.

Flashlights, lit jack-o'-lanterns on the doorsteps you're visiting, spookiness / thrill of going through the neighborhood in the dark - that's the sort of thing I mean about magic.

I guess some of that's been lost a long time ago, since there are often more adults than kids in the groups these days. 

They (the adults anyway) can all get off my lawn.  ;)

Usually, if you don't want the trick-or-treaters banging on your door. You just turn off the outside lights. What do you do if they're doing it during daylight hours (e.g. 3-5 Saturday)?

I've said this for years. I actually own the domain makeitsaturday.com and was planning on putting something there to try and get that more wide spread. It makes a ton of sense because you dont need to rush home from work, kids can TnT during longer daylight hours, teens and adults can go out at night, no homework or school the next day. All that. 

However you would be amazed at the amount of people who are so opposed to this idea and stake claim to the whole 'Its all hallows eve!" "the 31st is important to the holiday!" "Its sacred" "If you are going to move Halloween, well then just move Christmas to a Saturday too!" 
I belong to a few halloween FB groups and every year it comes up—this year especially with the rain forecasts—and people are losing their minds.  :loco:
Yep people are dumb. Dumb as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread