What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M.D.G.C.J.S.C.O.F. - A.K.A The Fire Thread (Henry Ford Suspects Meth, tennis balls no longer come in cans) (1 Viewer)

Any chance at all that one of your kids just plays around idly with matches or a lighter from time to time? Lighting scraps of paper on fire or anything like that? Maybe let some paper burn, blew it out but didn't notice a slightly smoldering section, thought the fire was totally out, and then put it in the trash can?

And I can't believe no one thought to ask -- do people in your household light a match** after using the bathroom?

** obligatory So I Married an Axe Murderer reference.
That was my first thought, hence the candle thing, but the candle wasn't lit.  Possible he lit a match, but again doesn't make any sense that he would light one and then throw it in my daughter's trash when there is a trash can in his room.

That was my first thought, hence the candle thing, but the candle wasn't lit.  Possible he lit a match, but again doesn't make any sense that he would light one and then throw it in my daughter's trash when there is a trash can in his room.
What's crazy is that fires are difficult to start.

Crumple up a bunch of paper in your fireplace and throw in a match, 99 times out of 100 the match will just fizzle out. Maybe 999 out of 1000.

Now consider that only an idiot would throw a lit match into a bedroom trash can, and neither of your kids are idiots based on my experineces, and now we are speculating that a fire started from a *warm* matchstick in a trashcan?

Just not feasible, never mind the rest of the story that would have to lead up to that point.

Since a trash can just catching on fire randomly with no evidence of anything being in it that is combustible is hard to believe, I'd have to say we're looking at the son as the culprit.  No clue what it was, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

I was a fire bug as a kid and this sounds like something I'd do.  Maybe he lit something and disposed of it in her trash can to hide the evidence, not realizing it was still hot enough to spark a fire.  It might be something innocent, but all signs point to the boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since a trash can just catching on fire randomly with no evidence of anything being in it that is combustible, I'd have to say we're looking at the son as the culprit.  No clue what it was, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

I was a fire bug as a kid and this sounds like something I'd do.  Maybe he lit something and disposed of it in her trash can to hide the evidence, not realizing it was still hot enough to spark a fire.  It might be something innocent, but all signs point to the boy.
Well, he's really the only one possible so I agree that it would have to be him if it was someone, but I don't have any evidence other than him being the only one up stairs, that he did anything.  He's not always truthful so just because he says he didn't doesn't mean he actually didn't do something, but nothing about the timeline or the situation makes any sense for it to be him either.

Well, he's really the only one possible so I agree that it would have to be him if it was someone, but I don't have any evidence other than him being the only one up stairs, that he did anything.  He's not always truthful so just because he says he didn't doesn't mean he actually didn't do something, but nothing about the timeline or the situation makes any sense for it to be him either.
Honestly, this seems like one of those incidents that because there is no actual evidence, everyone gets off.  You just have to hope that if it was him, this might have scared him from doing anything crazy in the future.  I remember I was playing with matches as a tween and lit a hay bale on fire.  Didn't realize it would go up in seconds.  I was running from my house to the woods with buckets of water and somehow got that thing out after a good 15 minutes.  Totally freaked me out.  It was the last time I played around with matches.

Honestly, this seems like one of those incidents that because there is no actual evidence, everyone gets off.  You just have to hope that if it was him, this might have scared him from doing anything crazy in the future.  I remember I was playing with matches as a tween and lit a hay bale on fire.  Didn't realize it would go up in seconds.  I was running from my house to the woods with buckets of water and somehow got that thing out after a good 15 minutes.  Totally freaked me out.  It was the last time I played around with matches.
20 years from now

"Hey Dad you remember that fire in sis's garbage can that you thought started on it's own?  Yeah I did that. Sorry!"

When I was a kid my cousin lived with our grandfather. On day while my cousin was at school or work I was in his room and I started playing with matches and rubbing alcohol in a bowl. Yep, super genius stuff. Well I spilled the lit bowl and his entire bed comforter went up i a blaze of glory. I balled up the comforter and his sheets and threw them down the sewer out front. 

Its all fun and games now but Ill never forget his phone call a few weeks later asking about the whereabouts of his bedroom sheets and comforter. 

Never played with fire again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, he could tell his kids not to touch anything because the fire marshall is coming over tomorrow to try to figure this out because there might be concerns of arson. Then see which kid squirms.

Or, he could tell his kids not to touch anything because the fire marshall is coming over tomorrow to try to figure this out because there might be concerns of arson. Then see which kid squirms.
Or approach them with two clear Solo cups....surprise drug test!

When I was a kid my cousin lived with our grandfather. On day while my cousin was at school or work I was in his room and I started playing with matches and rubbing alcohol in a bowl. Yep, super genius stuff. Well I spilled the lit bowl and his entire bed comforter went up i a blaze of glory. I balled up the comforter and his sheets and threw them down the sewer out front. 
I was pretty sure this was leading to a methane gas explosion. Leaving disappointed.

1. Bedroom ceiling leak

2. Toilet overflow disaster

3. Fire in her trash can

That's 3 right? You should be good to go now.
That or we are back to my theory that the house was built on an ancient burial ground and is now possessed. Time to order an exorcism just to be safe.

Fire Prevention 52: Spontaneous Combustion–Fact or Fiction?

Hay should be completely dry before baling and moving to a storage facility. Ensure that the facility is well ventilated.
@TheIronSheik looks like you had plausible deniability. "the hay wasn't completely dry"  :shrug:

Think something like this cannot occur in your park or home? Think again. A few months ago, an NPS fire crew in the San Francisco Bay area was conducting routine maintenance of their hand tools. One of their tasks involved applying linseed oil with a rag to their tool handles. Even though the crew took precautions with the rag, placing it outside to dry flat on a workbench at the end of the day, the rag caught fire, started the workbench on fire, and spread up the wall of an attached shed. Fortunately, an employee saw the smoke and the fire was extinguished before significant damage occurred.

Time to grill the son. 

Maybe present it like "look, son... me and my internet buddies have a 3-page thread on this and it'll hit 4 or 5 by this afternoon.  We need to know if you threw something in your sister's trash.  You're not gonna get in trouble, we just need to know."

Do you have an overly hot basement that is definelty not becuase of the dehumidifier?

Not to beat the dead horse of the "your daughter is vaping" train (since you said the burnt items did not appear to be vaping stuff), but could it be that either your son's or daughter's friends vape, and they gave it to them or they took it, got home and just threw it out?  Wouldn't have needed to be yesterday when the fire happened either.

A.) The candle wasn't lit, he has used one in the past occasionally but rarely.

B.) He had been home for maybe 15 minutes, could he have come home and immediately decided to toke up knowing I was downstairs and could come up at any moment, sure it is possible, but when I did barge into his room to see if he had lit a match he was sitting in his swing chair watching youTube on his phone.

C.) There was no evidence of any vaping materials in the garbage I dumped out.

D.) I'm very aware of what weed smells like.

I'm struggling to figure out what happened, but the narrative that my son came home started vaping or smoking a doob, decided he was done and threw away the doob or vape stuff into my daughter's garbage, of which there is no evidence at all,  within 15 minutes of getting home to be almost as implausible as spontaneous combustion.
Vaping requires no "materials". Vaping does not smell like weed. Vaping does not take 15 minutes more like 15 seconds. 

Looking at the pictures again, is it possible that the fire actually started in what looks like the desk?  It kind of looks like something burned through the side of it.  With no oxygen in the drawer, the fire might just go out, but the waste basket has air and tinder (not the app).  

I would be surprised, but not to the level of my daughter.  There just wasn't anything in the ashes that indicated any vaping paraphernalia.  I know what pot smells like so I would definitely catch that if he was doing something in the house.  He's been using a candle in his room the past week so my first thought was he struck a match to light the candle and then threw it in my daughter's garbage, but the candle wasn't lit and it wouldn't make sense for him to throw a match in my daughter's garbage, he has his own garbage. 
Dude, you said the ink cartridge was melted.  That takes direct flame.  Just talk to your son. He was probably trying something.  

Also of interest:

The future, man. Also called “the clear” by some dispensaries and extraction companies, distilled THC is one of the most potent forms of cannabis out there, but it’s created by a process unknown to most. 

Distillates are made through a process called molecular distillation. Commonly used to make acetone, gas or diesel fuel from petroleum, molecular distillation is just starting to emerge as a cannabinoid extraction method. Distilling hash requires taking winterized concentrates — butane or Co2 hash oil refined with alcohol or ethanol and then chilled at extreme temperatures — and then distilling them to concentrate the THC further. Think of it like distilling wine into brandy: You’re taking an extracted substance and refining it even further for higher purity. 
Commercial extractors use a machine called a “wiped film evaporator,” which takes advantage of the different boiling points in cannabinoids to thermally separate them. First, the wiped film evaporator separates the cannabinoids from the terpenes by boiling the concentrate at a high pressure but at a relatively low temperature.

The process is repeated to remove any impurities, such as leftover solvents or lipids, in the concentrate. The result: a clear, odorless concentrate virtually free of solvents.
Can’t figure out the melted pen cartridge, but the candy may have been used to cover up any potential smell from his breath.

Looking at the pictures again, is it possible that the fire actually started in what looks like the desk?  It kind of looks like something burned through the side of it.  With no oxygen in the drawer, the fire might just go out, but the waste basket has air and tinder (not the app).  
That is under the desk, it isn't a drawer.  The charring is from the flames that were coming out of the trash can.

Users who are viewing this thread