What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Colin Kaepernick, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Maybe conflating peaceful protests with a handful of anarchists isn’t the most logical approach to judging a movement.

Funny, I don’t recall saying any of that. Can you maybe use the quote feature to quote me saying “violent communist insurrection and a Marxist coup” is “my idea of tolerance”? 

that’d be very helpful, thanks. 
"A handful of anarchists"

:lmao:

Maybe conflating peaceful protests with a handful of anarchists isn’t the most logical approach to judging a movement.

Funny, I don’t recall saying any of that. Can you maybe use the quote feature to quote me saying “violent communist insurrection and a Marxist coup” is “my idea of tolerance”? 

that’d be very helpful, thanks. 
Lol handful

Great.  And how many of your top-50 are from 1968?
Not the place to get into this, but yes, '68 has more than a few spots on the list. Dr. King's and Bobby Kennedy's assassinations are obvious choices. However, I also said this is "one of" the worst moments, and I stand by that. The attempted overthrow of our government by communists (avowed communists, by the way) and a possible descent into civil war are pretty significant--not really sure how anyone can deny that.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I think it's somewhat amusing that the vitriol and venom surrounding CK's possible return will end up moot in the end. At least for now. One of the few issues on which I agree with some other posters on the other end of the political chasm is that an NFL season is looking less and less likely this year. We can argue about his ability, the distraction he may or may not cause, the illegitimacy of his beliefs, etc., but in the end it's looking like we're all wasting our time. 

Not the place to get into this, but yes, '68 has more than a few spots on the list. Dr. King's and Bobby Kennedy's assassinations are obvious choices. However, I also said this is "one of" the worst moments, and I stand by that. The attempted overthrow of our government by communists (avowed communists, by the way) and a possible descent into civil war are pretty significant--not really sure how anyone can deny that.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I think it's somewhat amusing that the vitriol and venom surrounding CK's possible return will end up moot in the end. At least for now. One of the few issues on which I agree with some other posters on the other end of the political chasm is that an NFL season is looking less and less likely this year. We can argue about his ability, the distraction he may or may not cause, the illegitimacy of his beliefs, etc., but in the end it's looking like we're all wasting our time
That we can agree on.

It has been four years, but Colin Kaepernick is back in a "Madden" game. The latest update to "Madden 21" includes Kaepernick being added to the free agents list. He was given an 81 rating by EA Sports, which is good enough to make Kaepernick "in the top 15 of the video game's 111 total quarterbacks," according to The Undefeated.

EA Sports also gave Kaepernick his own, signature touchdown celebration -- a raised fist. With a player rating of 81, the QB is ranked higher than these notable signal-callers:

Josh Allen (77)

Kyler Murray (77)

Cam Newton (78)

Derek Carr (79)

Ryan Tannehill (80)

It has been four years, but Colin Kaepernick is back in a "Madden" game. The latest update to "Madden 21" includes Kaepernick being added to the free agents list. He was given an 81 rating by EA Sports, which is good enough to make Kaepernick "in the top 15 of the video game's 111 total quarterbacks," according to The Undefeated.

EA Sports also gave Kaepernick his own, signature touchdown celebration -- a raised fist. With a player rating of 81, the QB is ranked higher than these notable signal-callers:

Josh Allen (77)

Kyler Murray (77)

Cam Newton (78)

Derek Carr (79)

Ryan Tannehill (80)
That makes Blaine Gabbart an 82 OVR. 

The Madden 21 edition sold well on release but has received lukewarm reviews. Some places are saying sales are already dropping because fans don't love it. I am sure EA Sports did their research and calculated that adding Kaep into the game and the subsequent buzz about his rating would push another X thousand of units/downloads sold.

He's gonna need to eat some humble pie like Cam did and prove it. The fact that Cam quickly vaulted to the #1 QB for Bill is proof that Colin can make that same jump if he wants to put forth the effort. He's been gone too long to just jump in the starting lineup and a multi million 4 contract.

He's gonna need to eat some humble pie like Cam did and prove it. The fact that Cam quickly vaulted to the #1 QB for Bill is proof that Colin can make that same jump if he wants to put forth the effort. He's been gone too long to just jump in the starting lineup and a multi million 4 contract.
His interests probably lie elsewhere. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In an Instagram post, Colin Kaepernick was seen working out with Tyler Lockett. 

It's notable a week after ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Kaepernick, unofficially blackballed by the NFL after his 2016 protests against police brutality, is "in the best shape of his life" and wants to return to the league. The workout with Lockett is noteworthy because Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said in a 2020 interview that he regretted not signing Kaepernick in 2017. "The reason it wasn't the right fit is because I held him in such a high regard I didn't see him as a backup quarterback and I didn't want to put him in that situation with Russ," Carroll said in 2020. "It just didn't feel like it would fit right. That's the way I felt about it." Seattle, meanwhile, is without a viable starting quarterback after dealing Russell Wilson to the Broncos last week. Now 34 years old, Kaepernick could be a no-risk signing for a QB-needy team like the Seahawks in the coming months. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Sports on Tap on Twitter 

Mar 14, 2022, 6:03 PM ET

Honestly, the QB scene around the league is so bad that it may actually happen. Of course, Colin has to actually want it and this could just be another publicity stunt.

Honestly, the QB scene around the league is so bad that it may actually happen. Of course, Colin has to actually want it and this could just be another publicity stunt.
I’d absolutely love to see him play again. I don’t care about the kneeling, I just think it would be entertaining.

And who knows. Maybe he’s surprisingly competent? 

Seems to me the HOU Texans only exist to carry water for the NFL these days. They should sign Kap for the good of the league and let him play the last three quarters of every preseason game. IMO it would become glaringly obvious why this guy doesn't have much interest in the NFL and the league could put this absurd "story", at least to non-football fans, to rest. 

After they make the Watson trade they could also try to rehab their image by making THIS the story people talk about in HOU all summer. 

BoltBacker said:
Seems to me the HOU Texans only exist to carry water for the NFL these days. They should sign Kap for the good of the league and let him play the last three quarters of every preseason game. IMO it would become glaringly obvious why this guy doesn't have much interest in the NFL and the league could put this absurd "story", at least to non-football fans, to rest. 

After they make the Watson trade they could also try to rehab their image by making THIS the story people talk about in HOU all summer. 
Not a bad idea. 

I'm trying to decide if a QB we all agreed was good (let alone CK) could step away at age 29, come back at 34 and be good again.

I'm trying to decide if a QB we all agreed was good (let alone CK) could step away at age 29, come back at 34 and be good again.
I think if it was somebody where their game was less about their physical prowess and more about their mental prowess, it would be possible. Like, I think Peyton Manning could have done it. 

Michael Vick went away at 26, and came back at 30(technically 29, but he barely played that 1st year back) but he fell off instantly, and a part of me always thought Andy Reid, and an elite supporting cast made him look way better than he actually was. 

Kaepernick was only ever decent on a loaded team. Even then, I always wonder what would have happened if SF had stuck with Alex Smith. 

Andrew Luck would be the man to test this out.
Luck is the one that came to mind. He's a contemporary of sorts. People tend to underestimate the power of rust I think. We use analogies like "tread on tires" in reference to RBs but these are people not washing machines. There is more in play than just the number of wash loads.

Luck is the one that came to mind. He's a contemporary of sorts. People tend to underestimate the power of rust I think. We use analogies like "tread on tires" in reference to RBs but these are people not washing machines. There is more in play than just the number of wash loads.

It'd be awfully difficult to take five years away from this sort of game and come back anywhere near what one was, especially at QB, which doesn't seem to be a hit-water-from-falling-out-of-a-boat event. 

He'd have to have really stayed with it in order for that to happen. One thing about that clip was that he looks bigger and thicker than before, which might not be such a great thing for his mobility. 

On the relevant sociopolitical side, I've heard him talk about social issues since his banishment from the NFL. He's become even more of a lightning rod than before. His Netflix special, by all reports (I haven't watched it), is something else. That's definitely something teams will consider. 

I have my own opinions about him. Personally, I think if he led the Jets to the Super Bowl, I'd still be disappointed. There's a lot of hatred directed towards him, but there's a lot of ignorance that comes and came out of his mouth/head/entourage/you name it. People will not forget his various doings, and it's likely that he's still kryptonite around the league but for a place like Seattle. 

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll confirmed free agent Colin Kaepernick reached out to the team this week but was evasive when asked if the quarterback-needy club might sign him.

Carroll said that Kaepernick deserves a "second chance" but did not make it sound like it will be happening in Seattle. He then went on a lengthy soliloquy about the nature of second chances. Now out of the league for longer than he was in it, Kaepernick has been working out with Seahawks WR Tyler Lockett. The Seahawks have a truly dreadful quarterback situation, but it is doubtful they will be taking a shot on a 34-year-old who has not taken an NFL snap since 2016. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: John Boyle on Twitter 

Mar 16, 2022, 5:59 PM ET

Tyler Lockett said "that man Kap is ready" for a return to the NFL. 

Kaepernick, who had a workout session with Lockett last week, was seen Wednesday training at the University of Washington's indoor football field, near the Seahawks stadium. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said in 2020 that he had wanted to sign Kaepernick in 2017, after he had been blackballed by the league for protests against racial injustice and police violence. Carroll confirmed last week that Kaepernick reached out to the Seahawks and that the QB deserves "a second chance." This much smoke usually leads to fire, and with the Seahawks lacking a viable starting quarterback after dealing Russell Wilson to Denver, giving Kaepernick a chance to compete under center would make sense for all parties involved. Whether Kaepernick, 34, still has the athleticism that made him a dangerous dual threat quarterback in the 2010s is another question entirely. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 24, 2022, 8:12 AM ET

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said conversations with Colin Kaepernick "have not progressed." 

ESPN's Brady Henderson said it's the latest sign Kaepernick won't land in Seattle this offseason following workouts with Tyler Lockett near the Seahawks stadium. Blackballed by the NFL after 2016 protests against police violence, it appears Kaepernick, 34, won't get a chance to play for the QB-needy Seahawks in 2022. 

RELATED: 

Pete Carroll

, Drew Lock

, Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Brady Henderson on Twitter 

Mar 29, 2022, 9:48 AM ET

Free agent QB Colin Kaepernick will "will hold an exhibition throwing event with some draft-eligible players during halftime of Michigan's spring game tomorrow."

All NFL personnel in attendance of Michigan's spring game will be permitted to watch Kaepernick's exhibition. Kaepernick has been making the rounds, throwing with various NFL receivers this offseason. He appears to be positioning himself for a comeback, though there have been no reporters of teams showing interest in him. Now 34 years old and five seasons removed from his last NFL game, Kaepernick's days in the NFL are almost certainly over. A quarterback-needy team could give him a workout as a backup, though even that seems unlikely. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 1, 2022, 4:49 PM ET

Following his throwing exhibition on Saturday, Colin Kaepernick indicated that he's willing to accept a backup QB job in the NFL.

Kaepernick is looking for any NFL opportunity and offered to meet with teams and conduct private workouts. Now 34 years old, and having last taken a snap in 2016, Kaepernick's only realistic path back into the league is as a backup. A backup job remains unlikely, however. NFL teams have been completely unwilling to put Kaepernick on their payroll following his protest against racial injustice and police violence.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 2, 2022, 5:24 PM ET

I’d like to see him play. Just for the spectacle. I’d like to see if he still has an arm & if he can still run.

i know better than most what his last year in SF looked like. It was fugly.

But dude had some game for a while. I bet he’s better than Darnold or Lock.

It would be entertaining. I doubt it’ll happen, but I’d watch if it did.

I’d like to see him play. Just for the spectacle. I’d like to see if he still has an arm & if he can still run.

i know better than most what his last year in SF looked like. It was fugly.

But dude had some game for a while. I bet he’s better than Darnold or Lock.

It would be entertaining. I doubt it’ll happen, but I’d watch if it did.
I thought a major hold up was his refusal to accept "1 year prove it contract $$" and that he wanted > $25M to sign. 

He has no right to refuse ANY Offer IMO.  He has nothing to show for his capabilities to warrant an offer. 

I thought a major hold up was his refusal to accept "1 year prove it contract $$" and that he wanted > $25M to sign. 

He has no right to refuse ANY Offer IMO.  He has nothing to show for his capabilities to warrant an offer. 
He’s talking about accepting backup roles now, so it seems he’s changed his tune. 

Users who are viewing this thread