What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Zack Moss, CIN (1 Viewer)

By all accounts he has had a great camp. His game is pro ready so it will be interesting to see how they split carries with him and Singletary. Moss is solid in pass pro and receiving (3rd downs) and has more power (Goal line) compared to Devin so he has a chance at decent production. 

More on yesterday's practice about that neck injury:

Moss wore a red non-contact jersey due to a sore neck, and his carries appeared to be a bit limited Sunday. But he did hit a few holes hard and get tackled to the ground.
Sounds pretty minor.

I haven't seen any updates today.

Bills' Zack Moss: Resumes contact work

Moss (neck) isn't wearing a no-contact jersey Tuesday, Marcel Louis-Jacques of ESPN.com reports.

It appears the rookie's neck injury was minor, as he's been cleared for contact work after only a few days of being limited. Devin Singletary remains the favorite to start in the backfield Week 1 against the Jets, but Moss also figures to have a significant role in the Buffalo offense.

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia said if RB Devin Singletary's fumbling issues continue into the regular season, rookie RB Zack Moss "could take over as the lead back."

Buscaglia added that Moss, the bigger of the two backs, is the superior option between the tackles and is "the likelier option for goal line touches." Buffalo coaches have emphasized that Singletary must improve with ball security and blitz pickup. Moss, meanwhile, has shined as a ball carrier and a pass catcher. The rookie is being drafted three rounds after Singletary. Moss is an ideal pick for Zero RB drafters. 

RELATED: 

Zack Moss

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Sep 3, 2020, 11:33 AM ET

ZACK MOSS RB, BUFFALO BILLS

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia believes the Bills' lead running back will depend on the opponent. 

"When the Bills are facing a team with slower linebackers and an edge defender who doesn’t contain, (it could favor) Devin Singletary with runs to the outsides," Buscaglia reasoned. "If a defense has weaker defensive tackles who can be pushed off the line, Zack Moss is the better option between the tackles." Buscaglia also believes Moss will probably have the edge on goal-line carries, while third-down work will vary. Buscaglia considers Singletary's progress in pass protection and ball security to be an X-factor. It's important to remember that Moss has only one month of NFL practice and zero live reps under his belt, but he has knocked the socks off of the Bills press. 

RELATED: 

Devin Singletary

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Sep 3, 2020, 7:13 PM ET

Moss went 2.09 in our 12 team PPR dynasty league rookie /free agent four round draft last night.  11th year this league is playing.

Line-up: Q-R-R-W-W-T-F-D/ST

Regular-season rosters carry 25 players and we expand to a 30-man roster during preseason for rookie draft.

Went 2.03 in my PPR rookie draft a few weeks ago. QRRWWWTF lineup, and the league just hoards RBs. 

Another league several friends of mine play in saw him go 1.11 last weekend. 

He knocked the socks off of one writer. This obsession with Moss is so crazy strong. It blows me away that after finally making the playoffs a team is determined to take their second half of the season MVP off the field. 

If they do. They deserve what they get. 

If Moss is legit the way Buffalo wants to play a 1-2 punch of Singletary and Moss has a chance to real effective especially since both can catch so their versatility means there are no tip-offs what is coming...it has been a very long time time since I have said this but I like how the Bills are building their team. 

If Moss is legit the way Buffalo wants to play a 1-2 punch of Singletary and Moss has a chance to real effective especially since both can catch so their versatility means there are no tip-offs what is coming...it has been a very long time time since I have said this but I like how the Bills are building their team. 
If taking the 5.1 yards a carry you rode to playoffs off the field is the right move I'll be legit shocked. 

He knocked the socks off of one writer. This obsession with Moss is so crazy strong. It blows me away that after finally making the playoffs a team is determined to take their second half of the season MVP off the field. 

So Moss can’t possibly be good? If you are wrong about Devin it just means the Bills are the one making the mistake? 🤣

The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately?" league.  If Moss lights it up and is too good to keep off the field, he will get a lot of touches.  The Bills won't stay loyal to a RB who has fumbling issues, just because he helped get them to a 1st round playoff loss.

So Moss can’t possibly be good? If you are wrong about Devin it just means the Bills are the one making the mistake? 🤣
Ok so let's break this down a little. 

Was Moss better than Singletary in College?

No. No he wasn't. 

How many pro games has Moss played in? 0

How many pro games has Singletary played at an elite level in? 8-9

All Moss has done is play good in shorts and one dumb writer wants to make him the next Adrian Peterson. 

Knowing those facts if you were a betting man you'd bet on Moss at this point?

I really like Singletary but I think a Moss/Singletary duo has a chance to be even more effective then just Singletary as far as real football is concerned.
Fair enough but taking 5.1 yards a carry off the field for a rookie seems super suspect to me. Call me skeptical. 

Fair enough but taking 5.1 yards a carry off the field for a rookie seems super suspect to me. Call me skeptical. 
Keeping him fresh might make it 5.5...I think you are looking at an old school RBBC with two quality backs...as stated above I think that makes a ton of sense for how Buffalo wants to play ball...and makes them deeper should one get dinged up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so let's break this down a little. 

Was Moss better than Singletary in College? 

No. No he wasn't. I would hope Singletary was statistically better playing for FL Atlantic. Comparable yards per carry and Moss had a much higher yards per reception.

How many pro games has Moss played in? 0 This is true although I don’t dismiss all rookies from success.

How many pro games has Singletary played at an elite level in? 8-9 Your definition of elite must be a lot more flexible than mine. 

All Moss has done is play good in shorts and one dumb writer wants to make him the next Adrian Peterson. Positive camp reports have been coming since Moss hit the field.

Knowing those facts if you were a betting man you'd bet on Moss at this point? I see Moss as a threat to Singeltary. He is a well rounded back who I believe will force at least a 50/50 split after the first few games. 
I think Singletary is a good back, don’t disagree there. But I don’t believe for a second that he won’t yield a large share of workload to Moss. Time will let us know on this one. Good luck if you are invested in Devin.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are both excellent backs and I thoroughly liked watching Devin succeed last year.  That said, if Singletary is having legitimate fumbling issues in camp, his leash will be exceedingly short, and it’s likely that Moss will surpass him

It is worth noting that last year Singletary had 151 rushes (with 29 catches) and Gore had 166 rushes (and 13 catches), so there will be plenty of RB touches to go around.  Singletary had a lot more in the second half of the season than in the first half, but assuming Moss outperforms what Gore did last year (3.6 YPC), a 50/50 split, give or take, shouldn't surprise anyone.

It is worth noting that last year Singletary had 151 rushes (with 29 catches) and Gore had 166 rushes (and 13 catches), so there will be plenty of RB touches to go around.  Singletary had a lot more in the second half of the season than in the first half, but assuming Moss outperforms what Gore did last year (3.6 YPC), a 50/50 split, give or take, shouldn't surprise anyone.
I’m not so sure the Bills will be looking to run as much this year. They cut Patrick DiMarco and moved their only other FB to TE. They also kept 7 WRs. There’s a very very good chance they are moving to a spread offense this year and looking to really open it up and be a pass first team.

I like Moss a lot but I also think Singletary is a very good back. I don’t think they’d be taking Singletary off the field for Moss necessarily, I just think they’d prefer a 2 back system. I’d see Singletary as the lead back with Moss getting around 40% of the work. In that backfield that’s still valuable in fantasy and there’s upside for injury to Singletary or Moss eventually earning a bigger share.

I thought 50-50 after Moss was drafted

I'll admit I was wrong

Moss will be the more fantasy relevant back due to pass catching and goal line work. Singletary passes the eye test far more than he passes any analytics test--hence why everyone knew the Bills would draft a back this year

I thought 50-50 after Moss was drafted

I'll admit I was wrong

Moss will be the more fantasy relevant back due to pass catching and goal line work. Singletary passes the eye test far more than he passes any analytics test--hence why everyone knew the Bills would draft a back this year
The Bills drafted a back because they had literally nothing on their depth chart when Gore left. Had not much to do with Singletary IMO. 

Bills' Zack Moss: Catches TD in debut

Moss rushed nine times for 11 yards and caught three of four targets for 16 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's 27-17 win over the Jets.

Moss split the rushing work evenly with Devin Singletary (nine carries for 30 yards), but it was quarterback Josh Allen who paced Buffalo's ground game with 14 carries for 57 yards and a touchdown. Allen's power-running style will likely rob Moss of some short touchdowns, but the rookie was on the field when the Bills got in close and caught a four-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Neither running back was able to separate himself in this one, so expect Moss and Singletary to see a near-even split in touches against the Dolphins in Week 2.

I was wrong. Moss is the second coming of Emmit Smith and will be taking over 70% of the workload soon. Singletary is a fraud and never should have been considered a good RB. 

I was wrong. Moss is the second coming of Emmit Smith and will be taking over 70% of the workload soon. Singletary is a fraud and never should have been considered a good RB. 
It was his first NFL game ever, give the guy a break.

(Oh and he still outscored Singletary who was taken much earlier in drafts)

After today, Moss seems like the clear better value for fantasy purposes.

It was his first NFL game ever, give the guy a break.

(Oh and he still outscored Singletary who was taken much earlier in drafts)

After today, Moss seems like the clear better value for fantasy purposes.
Absolutely.  I was 100% wrong. The Bills wanted to replace Singletary after last year's performance and they did. Singletary is a RB3 at best and Moss is the man. I am eating my crow. 

Absolutely.  I was 100% wrong. The Bills wanted to replace Singletary after last year's performance and they did. Singletary is a RB3 at best and Moss is the man. I am eating my crow. 
oh lol.  I for sure thought you were being sarcastic in that post.

Wouldn't give him E. Smith comparisons yet :P

I feel bad for leading the few people(very few) that listen to me towards Singletary. I was wrong. Moss is a stud. At least the Bills think so and that's all that matters. 

At least I come in here and admit my misses. They love Moss. He's a stud. My bad. I missed. 
You never used to be able to admit your misses.  I like this side of you.

Unfortunately we'll never know if Jarwin woulda been a top 10 TE this year as his season is over.

I feel bad for leading the few people(very few) that listen to me towards Singletary. I was wrong. Moss is a stud. At least the Bills think so and that's all that matters. 
9 carries for 11 yards makes you change your tune?

It's a genuine 50/50 split. He has GL work, which gives him value, but otherwise I'd still rather own Singletary 

9 carries for 11 yards makes you change your tune?

It's a genuine 50/50 split. He has GL work, which gives him value, but otherwise I'd still rather own Singletary 
Whatever. Singletary has been ruined. Simple as that. He's just a roster clogger at this point. Moss gets all the GL and half of everything else so Singletary owners have no idea when to safely start him. 

Good job good effort Buffalo. I'm sure Moss will carry you to the playoffs. This situation has officially been destroyed. Lol

Whatever. Singletary has been ruined. Simple as that. He's just a roster clogger at this point. Moss gets all the GL and half of everything else so Singletary owners have no idea when to safely start him. 

Good job good effort Buffalo. I'm sure Moss will carry you to the playoffs. This situation has officially been destroyed. Lol
The bold is definitely true. Having said that, if I owned Moss I'm not sure when I'd be starting him either. If a matchup flex play is a fantasy hit, then I guess he's that. 

The bold is definitely true. Having said that, if I owned Moss I'm not sure when I'd be starting him either. If a matchup flex play is a fantasy hit, then I guess he's that. 
Yeah but Moss was the second coming of Emmitt Smith last week. At least according to that one beat writer that's been on his jock all training camp. 

So it's Zach Moss's world we're all living in it. Singletary and his 5.1 ypc can stand on the sideline and watch the amazing Zach Moss.

9 carries for 11 yards. Looking good so far!

SIngletary is still the starter and got more snaps than Moss and more touches than Moss.  He looked to have more burst and had a few nice gains when he was given even a little bit of space.

Moss didn't exactly wow me, but the run-blocking was a bit of a letdown when he got the ball.  He certainly looks like a bruiser, punishing runner.  He was in the game every time the Bills were in the red zone.

I'd expect the Bills to continue to lean on the hot-hand on a game-by-game basis as the season goes on, with a slight edge to SIngletary outside of the red zone.  Problem was that neither of them really had the hot-hand yesterday.  The Jets, even with their injuries, seem to have a pretty solid run defense.  

Zack Moss rushed eight times for 37 yards in Buffalo's Week 2 win over the Dolphins.

Teammate Devin Singletary again won the touch battle between the two, handling 12 touches to Moss' 8; Moss also failed to record a single target against Miami. The closest Moss came to scoring was when he was inserted inside of the 10-yard line only to act as a decoy on a fake goal line handoff, which allowed FB Reggie Gilliam to score. Singletary has out-touched Moss 26-20 on the year, but the latter will remain a touchdown-dependent RB3/4 in Week 3 given his fruitful red zone usage.

Sep 20, 2020, 5:59 PM ET

Zack Moss (toe) did not practice Wednesday.

It's a new injury for Moss, who wasn't on the injury report Weeks 1 and 2. Playing 45% of the snaps behind Devin Singletary's 57% share, Moss is averaging 10.5 carries and targets per game. If Moss were to sit against the Rams, Singletary would get a boost as a more comfortable RB2.

Sep 23, 2020, 3:53 PM ET

Of course there’s a toe injury popping up on Wednesday out of the blue. How couldn’t there be when I traded Singletary away last night. :doh:  

To all the Moss owners, I’m sorry. :(  

Of course there’s a toe injury popping up on Wednesday out of the blue. How couldn’t there be when I traded Singletary away last night. :doh:  

To all the Moss owners, I’m sorry. :(  
You must have done something to piss off the FF gods.  I was lucky enough to trade for Devin last night..... should be intersting

There were 11 guys on the injury report today, some of whom nobody had any clue had injuries. Sure seems like the Bills gave rest days to anyone that was even remotely banged up.
Yeah, I always have to remember it’s Wednesday. See: JJSS & Dionte both being reported as DNP: [insert body part]  last week & this week. 

He’s probably fine. 

Users who are viewing this thread