What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida Politics (2 Viewers)

I signed up with We Got the Vote to do data entry. I haven’t heard from anyone yet but I just signed up today. 
I think that's the one I signed up for, too. Might have been a different organization but I definitely signed up for data entry.

Because of my job, I can't be too out in front working on political campaigns. So I'm trying to figure out what I can do behind the scenes.

:lmao: I was thinking the same thing...it's been really bizarre to watch.  I've often wondered what I am missing.  We got here in 2017.  I feel like something is missing in this?
I don't think there is a history between them. I think it's a case of the truth hurts and Scott doesn't like it.

:lmao: I was thinking the same thing...it's been really bizarre to watch.  I've often wondered what I am missing.  We got here in 2017.  I feel like something is missing in this?
I recall reading an article in the Herald after the 2018 elections that said the three statewide elected officials (Scott, DeSantis and Rubio) were all circling each other warily. Mostly it was because they all viewed the others as the competition in future presidential primaries. DeSantis I can definitely see as a future candidate, unless his pandemic response ends up sinking him. Rubio is clearly never going to be president, but I can see how he still might hold on to that fantasy. Scott? I don't see it at all, but then again, I never thought he could get elected in the first place, and he's now done it three times.

I think the key point is that none of those three really came up together, so they have no prior relationship to fall back on. So I guess it's natural they would all view each other suspiciously.

I recall reading an article in the Herald after the 2018 elections that said the three statewide elected officials (Scott, DeSantis and Rubio) were all circling each other warily. Mostly it was because they all viewed the others as the competition in future presidential primaries. DeSantis I can definitely see as a future candidate, unless his pandemic response ends up sinking him. Rubio is clearly never going to be president, but I can see how he still might hold on to that fantasy. Scott? I don't see it at all, but then again, I never thought he could get elected in the first place, and he's now done it three times.

I think the key point is that none of those three really came up together, so they have no prior relationship to fall back on. So I guess it's natural they would all view each other suspiciously.
Rubio would've beaten Hillary by a wide margin in 2016. In the suburbs, he was doing much better than Trump, head to head with Hillary, among women. He would also do well among Hispanic and Evangelical voters. I wouldn't count him out yet for 2024. 

Rubio would've beaten Hillary by a wide margin in 2016. In the suburbs, he was doing much better than Trump, head to head with Hillary, among women. He would also do well among Hispanic and Evangelical voters. I wouldn't count him out yet for 2024. 
I mean, I'm officially retired from predicting what's going to happen in GOP presidential primaries. After Trump, how could anyone do it with any confidence?

Still, I think Rubio's moment passed him by. His strength as a candidate was always that he checked a lot of boxes and looked good on paper. But he ran a terrible campaign and no one particularly liked him or felt passionate about him. Meanwhile, he's distrusted on both the left and the right. So what's his base of support in the primaries?

Honestly, I think there's a greater likelihood of Rubio losing his seat in '22 than of winning the White House in '24. Although that would require FL Dems to get their act together and find a compelling candidate, so probably not going to happen.

I mean, I'm officially retired from predicting what's going to happen in GOP presidential primaries. After Trump, how could anyone do it with any confidence?

Still, I think Rubio's moment passed him by. His strength as a candidate was always that he checked a lot of boxes and looked good on paper. But he ran a terrible campaign and no one particularly liked him or felt passionate about him. Meanwhile, he's distrusted on both the left and the right. So what's his base of support in the primaries?

Honestly, I think there's a greater likelihood of Rubio losing his seat in '22 than of winning the White House in '24. Although that would require FL Dems to get their act together and find a compelling candidate, so probably not going to happen.
quitter!  ;)  

Nikki Fried is compelling. She outperformed Nelson and Gillum by just enough to win state-wide office. It was in part due to her role in the medical marijuana industry in Florida and support for hemp production. She showed some political savvy by putting her picture on gas station pump certificates.

The problem with many good candidates has been the primaries. Rubio is only 49, so he still has time. 

One of my Cuban friends calls Rubio the  chocolate eclair, a reference to Teddie calling McKinley "as spineless as a chocolate eclair."

Nikki Fried is compelling. She outperformed Nelson and Gillum by just enough to win state-wide office. It was in part due to her role in the medical marijuana industry in Florida and support for hemp production. She showed some political savvy by putting her picture on gas station pump certificates.

The problem with many good candidates has been the primaries. Rubio is only 49, so he still has time. 

One of my Cuban friends calls Rubio the  chocolate eclair, a reference to Teddie calling McKinley "as spineless as a chocolate eclair."
I view Rubio similarly to how I viewed John Edwards before we discovered he was a major-league scumbag: They were the ultimate Beltway CW candidates, who checked all the boxes of what political insiders thought would appeal to swing voters. In Edwards case, it was a Southern moderate, in Rubio's a Latino. Both were young, attractive, and seemed to be able to reach both their respective bases as well as moderates. But in the end, there was no real substance behind it. In the immortal words of Cordelia Chase, when you scratched the surface, you just found more surface. As a result, they became lowest-common-denominator candidates who excited precisely no one.

That's what I thought of Rubio after 2016 and nothing I've seen from him since then has convinced me that I was wrong.

• Thanks
Reactions: rct
He's completely lost it...yikes.
On the contrary, I think this is a genius move. He doesn't lose any Republican votes, but he potentially gains votes from Democrat football fans.

And the likelihood of his proposal actually happening is pretty slim anyway. It's his version of "Build The Wall!"

[scooter] said:
On the contrary, I think this is a genius move. He doesn't lose any Republican votes, but he potentially gains votes from Democrat football fans.

And the likelihood of his proposal actually happening is pretty slim anyway. It's his version of "Build The Wall!"
Not likely, but possible I suppose.  I just haven't run across many (any?) people who would consider themselves "Democrats" that would also consider this to be a tipping point to look past his handling of this whole thing and honestly, I can't wrap my head around that sort of thinking.

Joe Summer said:
Alt-right activist Laura Loomer has won the Republican primary in Florida's 21st District

If the name rings a bell....she's the wackadoodle wannabe social media star who locked herself to Twitter's front door a couple years ago, then disrupted a Congressional hearing, then staged some kind of stalker-esque protest on Nancy Pelosi's front porch.

I'm putting this in the "Florida Politics" thread, although it probably qualifies for lots of other categories......the "Alt Right" thread, the "Qanon" thread, or the general "Republican party has lost its mind" thread (do we have a thread for that??).
It looks like this is a blue district so she will probably lose the general election.

Joe Summer said:
Alt-right activist Laura Loomer has won the Republican primary in Florida's 21st District

If the name rings a bell....she's the wackadoodle wannabe social media star who locked herself to Twitter's front door a couple years ago, then disrupted a Congressional hearing, then staged some kind of stalker-esque protest on Nancy Pelosi's front porch.

I'm putting this in the "Florida Politics" thread, although it probably qualifies for lots of other categories......the "Alt Right" thread, the "Qanon" thread, or the general "Republican party has lost its mind" thread (do we have a thread for that??).
It looks like this is a blue district so she will probably lose the general election.
She's the one who's barred from using UberEats because she specified that she won't accept deliveries from Muslims, right?

She's the one who's barred from using UberEats because she specified that she won't accept deliveries from Muslims, right?
Technically, she wasn't banned for refusing to accept deliveries from Muslims; she was banned (from all of Uber, plus Lyft) for going on an all-day social media tirade against Uber, Lyft, and Muslims.

"Remarkable to see a president endorse a candidate who said Muslims shouldn't have be allowed to hold public office and called Islam 'a cancer on humanity,'" he tweeted. "In a normal administration this would be a huge story but it will barely get mentioned."

She has called herself a "proud Islamophobe."

If you vote for Trump you are supporting this.

I have a hard time reconciling this with any semblance of Republican policy. I'm surprised that the mere existence of that tweet did not result in an insta-disown from party leadership.

FL democrats need to put Gillum in the rear view.  I can't believe we are witnessing an attempted reclamation project with this guy.
I'm not a Dem, I'm Indy. But I'd embrace Nikki Fried for the next gov.

The D man is falling on his face but hey, the bars reopened today at 50%.

Not sure what you guys are talking about. It's not made it to central part of the state yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami Dolphins.
Surprised to see this. Stephen Ross is hardly a humanitarian. Just ask Kenny Stills. Oh, I see it was a player's committee giving $100K. Not even a drop in the bucket to Ross who'll be lining up next to Kraft for the next happy ending.

FL democrats need to put Gillum in the rear view.  I can't believe we are witnessing an attempted reclamation project with this guy.
A "Florida Man" came out as bisexual in an interview with Tamron Hall that aired Monday, six months after he was found inebriated and vomiting in a Miami hotel room. Paramedics and police officers responding to a call about a possible drug overdose in that hotel room found crystal meth when they arrived. A male sex worker was there, too.

Did anyone hear the President tonight say he will not commit to a peaceful transfer of power?  He says the results if he doesn’t win will go to the SCOTUS. Also what is this about him saying over and over he will not take away coverage for preexisting conditions? Isn’t he in court asking them to do away with the ACA and preexisting conditions? I cannot continue to support this man. Our social security and Medicare are at risk. What do you all think? 

Susan S.

The Commish said:
Unfortunately the numbers will explode again this coming Fall.

I live in Broward County. We opted out for our 15 year old son from going back to High School in person. The School Board has zero plan in terms of creating a safer environment. They have not done anything in terms of air filtration or have no semblance of a real return to school plan other than ,limiting class sizes to 12-13 students, and the rest go into an overflow room. All students will be at a desk with a laptop to E-learn.....in the classroom. 

So why in the world would I send my son back when he can do that safely from the comfort of our home. He will be hopefully going back to school in January. 

In terms of this clown and puppet of Trump......he is a complete moron. Down here if any business does not enforce the mask policy they will lose my business. I expect most places of business down here will adhere to a mask policy and kick anyone out who does not wear one. We have done a great job social distancing and wearing masks to get our numbers way down from the crazy explosion we had this past summer. 

The Governor is a complete imbecile. Can’t wait till the next election so we can vote his ### out. 

Covid numbers are rapidly rising for 15-25 year olds down here. Oh gee I wonder why? Schools are open thats why. I feel bad for all the teachers being forced to go back to an unsafe work environment. I really do. They make bubkus as it is....now they are going to be potentially exposed to the highest Covid % age group now. Brilliant stuff here folks. 

I am blown away at peoples ignorance on the pandemic. I think there may be close to 400K dead by year end at this rate. God I hope I am wrong, but the flood gates are opening and we have no vaccine (and won’t till next year and a lot of people will not take it right away until we see it is truly safe and it typically takes years plural to know that). But keep pumping those miracles Trump.....you freaking dimwit. Dumbest President I have ever seen in my life.....I mean he takes the cake on idiocy. Historic ### we are talking about here.

Unfortunately the numbers will explode again this coming Fall.

I live in Broward County. We opted out for our 15 year old son from going back to High School in person. The School Board has zero plan in terms of creating a safer environment. They have not done anything in terms of air filtration or have no semblance of a real return to school plan other than ,limiting class sizes to 12-13 students, and the rest go into an overflow room. All students will be at a desk with a laptop to E-learn.....in the classroom. 

So why in the world would I send my son back when he can do that safely from the comfort of our home. He will be hopefully going back to school in January. 

In terms of this clown and puppet of Trump......he is a complete moron. Down here if any business does not enforce the mask policy they will lose my business. I expect most places of business down here will adhere to a mask policy and kick anyone out who does not wear one. We have done a great job social distancing and wearing masks to get our numbers way down from the crazy explosion we had this past summer. 

The Governor is a complete imbecile. Can’t wait till the next election so we can vote his ### out. 

Covid numbers are rapidly rising for 15-25 year olds down here. Oh gee I wonder why? Schools are open thats why. I feel bad for all the teachers being forced to go back to an unsafe work environment. I really do. They make bubkus as it is....now they are going to be potentially exposed to the highest Covid % age group now. Brilliant stuff here folks. 

I am blown away at peoples ignorance on the pandemic. I think there may be close to 400K dead by year end at this rate. God I hope I am wrong, but the flood gates are opening and we have no vaccine (and won’t till next year and a lot of people will not take it right away until we see it is truly safe and it typically takes years plural to know that). But keep pumping those miracles Trump.....you freaking dimwit. Dumbest President I have ever seen in my life.....I mean he takes the cake on idiocy. Historic ### we are talking about here.
It really puts business in a ####ty situation..... do the right thing and lose business or open up and knotte toy are exposing people

It's really amazing to see how quickly he went off the rails after starting on such a good note. I thought he was pretty good at the beginning ofc this thing. Then when data diverged from agenda,  all hell broke loose

The Commish said:
Politically interesting.

If Florida cases blow up, Election Day turnout could suffer.  Bad for Republicans.

However, the timing might actually be quite GOOD for the Republicans.  Probably not enough time to get a major blowup by Nov 3, assuming one is engendered by this move.  For the next month they will get to preen over their economic success.  Whatever happens after Nov 3rd ... well ... the omelette has already been made.

If Florida cases blow up, Election Day turnout could suffer.  Bad for Republicans.
On the contrary, I think it would be very, very good for Republicans.

Trump supporters are much less likely to be scared off by COVID spikes. They are going to vote for him, in person, no matter what.

I don't think Trump is diabolical enough to employ it as a strategy, but it's certainly in his best interest if:

1. COVID cases spike nationwide.

and

2. Democrats are encouraged to stay home and vote by mail.

And since mail-in ballots tend to be rejected at a higher rate than in-person ballots, this would give a distinct advantage to Republicans. The advantage could be exploited even further in Republican-controlled districts, where zealous election officials could reject mail-in ballots at an even higher rate than usual.

Politically interesting.

However, the timing might actually be quite GOOD for the Republicans.  Probably not enough time to get a major blowup by Nov 3, assuming one is engendered by this move.  For the next month they will get to preen over their economic success.  Whatever happens after Nov 3rd ... well ... the omelette has already been made.
We've been destroyed in the hospitality industry down here.  It's primarily confidence driven.  If what I'm reading from other parts of the country (looking at what Florida has decided to do) is correct and "WTF are you doing Florida?!?!" is accurate, everything will be "open" and people still won't be here.  This is the primary reason unemployment has remained where it's at.  Businesses are "open" but people aren't going.  That will continue to be a problem.  Of course we have pockets, like my little town, where it's like the virus is completely gone, but I think we're the exception.

We've been destroyed in the hospitality industry down here.  It's primarily confidence driven.  If what I'm reading from other parts of the country (looking at what Florida has decided to do) is correct and "WTF are you doing Florida?!?!" is accurate, everything will be "open" and people still won't be here.  This is the primary reason unemployment has remained where it's at.  Businesses are "open" but people aren't going.  That will continue to be a problem.  Of course we have pockets, like my little town, where it's like the virus is completely gone, but I think we're the exception.
It sounds like you expect a lack of economic improvement and a rise in cases in FL.  Bad for Trump.  I guess they are in Hail Mary mode at this point.

It sounds like you expect a lack of economic improvement and a rise in cases in FL.  Bad for Trump.  I guess they are in Hail Mary mode at this point.
Expect?  It's what's happening right now.  The good news is, people are shifting jobs so unemployment is slowing going down here.  The bad news is, those jobs they are shifting "from" probably aren't coming back for a while and those are primarily in hospitality.  If you have time look up Hank Fishkind and read his thoughts on the Florida economic situation.  He's primary focus is on Central Florida, but he has really good info on what's going on here in the state.  

Got my ballot in the mail....it's filled out and will be going back tomorrow.  I scoured the directions to make sure everything was like it was in past years.  In Volusia County it is NOT, so READ YOUR DIRECTIONS.  This election, we can only drop off our ballots during EARLY VOTING periods.  I CANNOT drop it off on election day like past years.  I can take it to the Supervisor of Elections Office at any point it seems.  I figured something would get thrown in there.

Got my ballot in the mail....it's filled out and will be going back tomorrow.  I scoured the directions to make sure everything was like it was in past years.  In Volusia County it is NOT, so READ YOUR DIRECTIONS.  This election, we can only drop off our ballots during EARLY VOTING periods.  I CANNOT drop it off on election day like past years.  I can take it to the Supervisor of Elections Office at any point it seems.  I figured something would get thrown in there.
Got my ballot yesterday and filled it out. We’re not mailing ours in and will drop them off most likely during early voting at one of the drop off locations here in Hillsborough Co. 

oh...and my ballot is filled out and dropped off at our elections office as of yesterday  :thumbup:

I'm a bit optimistic with all the ballots already being counted...10's of thousands ahead of where they were last election in many areas.

BÖC has sung of the Grim Reaper, Godzilla and imagined a nightmarish Joan Crawford rising from the grave. (The group released live versions of those songs in 1981 recorded at the former concert venue, the Hollywood Sportatorium, a chilling spot in itself.)

And now, Blue Öyster Cult has turned its eye for the macabre to arguably the most frightful figure of them all: Florida Man

Users who are viewing this thread