What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida Politics (2 Viewers)

LINK

"Anyone tweeting that Florida is not doing well is just hoping. It's not even debatable. Anything can happen but right this minute both NY and California would trade with Florida and everyone knows it. And Florida is wide open while CA and NY are crippled with closures."
Not sure the point of this if its anything other than illustrating the problem with cheerypicking points in time to make a point. I mean there was a point where this state was in the upper 9 lower 10 thousands and those other states were in the 2-3 range if i remember correctly.  

Last edited by a moderator:
LINK

"Anyone tweeting that Florida is not doing well is just hoping. It's not even debatable. Anything can happen but right this minute both NY and California would trade with Florida and everyone knows it. And Florida is wide open while CA and NY are crippled with closures."
Florida has lots of outdoor venues, while NY has few, especially in the cold weather. California has LA, which is like 4 Miami-Dade counties put together. I think closures should be more regional, there are places in California that could open up more.

LINK

This is like saying the Eagles have had a good season because they haven’t been as bad as the Jets and the Jaguars.  

Glad Ronnie D decided to stop considering his "one dose" approach...all it took was the Dem lead fed government to question why he had over a million doses not distributed yet, sitting around...."those are second round doses...we can't mess with those!!!!!  we can take more from the government as we spin up new sites" -- the "quote" here is a paraphrase of a multitude of news conferences I've seen over the last week or two.

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, who has suggested she may challenge DeSantis when he's up for reelection next year, said, "There is no reason that Governor DeSantis should be rationing vaccines based on political influence. This is troubling and potentially illegal."

Lock him up! I have to admit I voted for the guy in meth rehab caught with naked men in a hotel, BUT it sure would be nice if Nikki ran. She can beat him and it's only next year!

I want my shots, dammit!

Link

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, who has suggested she may challenge DeSantis when he's up for reelection next year, said, "There is no reason that Governor DeSantis should be rationing vaccines based on political influence. This is troubling and potentially illegal."

Lock him up! I have to admit I voted for the guy in meth rehab caught with naked men in a hotel, BUT it sure would be nice if Nikki ran. She can beat him and it's only next year!

I want my shots, dammit!

Link
He chose the political path once the science and narrative split from one another and he's not turned back.  Pretty disappointing....we were in a pretty good spot in March/April headed in the right direction IMO.

DeSantis seems to be ready to wield the government wand to prevent private companies/businesses from doing what they believe is correct for their business with respect to COVID.  Curious what the "small government" types have to say about this overreach should it occur.  

Vaccine Passports

DeSantis seems to be ready to wield the government wand to prevent private companies/businesses from doing what they believe is correct for their business with respect to COVID.  Curious what the "small government" types have to say about this overreach should it occur.  

Vaccine Passports
Just google "Biden vaccine passports", his admin came out saying they are simply considering them. And one GOP whacko after another goes berserko:

Marjorie Taylor Greene- link

Jim Jordan- link

Ron DeSantis- link

Are you for voter proof of identity?
I know you think this is some sort of gotcha question, but these two things - voter ID and vaccine passport - have absolutely nothing to do with one another. Someone could quite easily be for voter ID and against passport ID, and vice versa. Or even for or against both.

I know you think this is some sort of gotcha question, but these two things - voter ID and vaccine passport - have absolutely nothing to do with one another. Someone could quite easily be for voter ID and against passport ID, and vice versa. Or even for or against both.
Maybe.   But you didn't answer the question.   Which are you?

Are you for voter proof of identity?
If you mean provide ID when you vote, of course. 

Now to the point I was making is I’m open to at least hearing options on a vac passport. I like that Biden has a plan, we’re getting vaccinated, passing economic stimulus etc. 

The previous admin in the last year basically did nothing to suppress the pandemic including lying to the public, ignoring doctors, shunning mask wearing, holding super spreader events and even receiving the vaccine in secrecy.

If a passport will make life safer for everyone we should at least explore the options.

Just google "Biden vaccine passports", his admin came out saying they are simply considering them. And one GOP whacko after another goes berserko:

Marjorie Taylor Greene- link

Jim Jordan- link

Ron DeSantis- link
Right...its so weird

Especially from the "small government/you cant tell me what to do" group. :lol:

Matt Gaetz might be in some trouble

Breaking NYT: Republican Matt Gaetz is being investigated by the Justice Department over whether he had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old and paid for her to travel with him, according to three people briefed on the matter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/30/us/politics/matt-gaetz-sex-trafficking-investigation.html
I saw somewhere today that ole Matt is thinking about a new career in journalism at some righty outfit called Newsmax.

kodycutter said:
Start stocking up on water.....

Desantis declares state of emergency and imminent wastewater breach at Piney Points.

Link
You're burying the lede here...

"Phosphogypsum is the radioactive waste left over during phosphate mining"

You're burying the lede here...

"Phosphogypsum is the radioactive waste left over during phosphate mining"
 I will probably start buying bottled water earlier than normal re: hurricane season.    What lede should I be buying?

edit: I gotcha....

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean...the best "leaders" in the world fall back on "this has been a problem for decades" when it's their turn....it's like clockwork :lol:

Taxing Internet Sales

This has been needed for years IMO.  It's a completely missed revenue source.  So what's the problem?  Problem is what they're going to use that money for long term and the things they aren't going to use the money for long term.

High level summary:  Initially, they'd use the money to replenish the depleted unemployment coffers which really isn't a problem.  I think that's a great idea.  However, moving forward, that tax revenue (well over a billion dollars a year) would then be used to fill the gap in the budget created by lowering corporate tax rates in the state.  This money would be going to fund things that companies are funding today letting them off the hook for their share.  I can only imagine what a consistent, guaranteed billion dollars a year could do for our schools, for healthcare in the state for affordable housing etc.  

Dr Fishkind says it better than I ever could

Taxing Internet Sales

This has been needed for years IMO.  It's a completely missed revenue source.  So what's the problem?  Problem is what they're going to use that money for long term and the things they aren't going to use the money for long term.

High level summary:  Initially, they'd use the money to replenish the depleted unemployment coffers which really isn't a problem.  I think that's a great idea.  However, moving forward, that tax revenue (well over a billion dollars a year) would then be used to fill the gap in the budget created by lowering corporate tax rates in the state.  This money would be going to fund things that companies are funding today letting them off the hook for their share.  I can only imagine what a consistent, guaranteed billion dollars a year could do for our schools, for healthcare in the state for affordable housing etc.  

Dr Fishkind says it better than I ever could
Schools, healthcare and affordable housing would provide good ROI. Another good long-term investment would to acquire more land to protect our great fresh water springs and other natural areas. With ever increasing population and development, in 20 years the price for the State to acquire land now will seem like a bargain. We're already near the bottom in corporate tax rates, what are we racing toward by lowering them even more?

Yesterday, our gov stated "If you get a vaccine, you're immune. So act immune."

He repeated several times that people who have had full vaccinations, should not worry about wearing masks anymore.

The governor's latest comments came on the same day an additional 7,000 COVID-19 cases and 92 deaths were reported in Florida.

Link to the proof of FL leadership madness.

This is wonderful. One of the many, many things that separate him from failures like Cuomo, Newsom, and Whitmer.
Wonderful if you're the Grim Reaper. Separate? I think he leads the pack in total moRonness (new word).

You left out the important part when you quoted my post: The governor's latest comments came on the same day an additional 7,000 COVID-19 cases and 92 deaths were reported in Florida.

Also, Florida leads the nation with the most cases of the infectious U.K. COVID-19 variant, known as B.1.1.7., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

And you also have to consider that DeSantis' state numbers are very questionable with his slotted monkey in control of the data.

Wonderful if you're the Grim Reaper. Separate? I think he leads the pack in total moRonness (new word).

You left out the important part when you quoted my post: The governor's latest comments came on the same day an additional 7,000 COVID-19 cases and 92 deaths were reported in Florida.

Also, Florida leads the nation with the most cases of the infectious U.K. COVID-19 variant, known as B.1.1.7., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

And you also have to consider that DeSantis' state numbers are very questionable with his slotted monkey in control of the data.
I mean, he didn't outlaw masks did he? The fearmongers can still triple mask up and lock themselves indoors right?

What percentage of those cases and deaths are people who've been vaccinated?
Not sure what you're asking here.  You want to know how many people who've had covid have also gotten the vaccine?  I doubt this state has the capability of telling you that.  They can't seem to get info into their "dashboard" correctly....though that may finally be remedied by now after all the reports of things not adding up.  I haven't seen any new reports on that the last few months.  

DeSantis seems to be pretty rational to me and to have handled it very well relative to his peers.  He was dealt a COVID 2-7 off-suit with all the old geezers in Florida, they have primarily stayed open and are middle of the pack on deaths per capita last I saw.

Nice job governor.  

DeSantis seems to be pretty rational to me and to have handled it very well relative to his peers.  He was dealt a COVID 2-7 off-suit with all the old geezers in Florida, they have primarily stayed open and are middle of the pack on deaths per capita last I saw.

Nice job governor.  
He punted it to the local areas to make them decide and those decisions were widely different across the state.  However, the most popular approaches in the large areas like Jax, Orlando, Tampa, Miami were to follow CDC guidelines.  And I absolutely "get" that choosing to punt is still a choice/decision.  

The things he has his hands in directly include things like issues with reporting, refusing to go with anyone other than those 65 or older for shots initially (though areas like Orlando and Miami pretty much ignored him on that and did what they wanted) and now he's insisting that cruise lines open, but they can't require proof of vaccination in their opening.

You can read through this thread early on and see my pleasure with how he began this adventure.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Then narrative and science diverged and the wheels began to come off.  

He punted it to the local areas to make them decide and those decisions were widely different across the state.  However, the most popular approaches in the large areas like Jax, Orlando, Tampa, Miami were to follow CDC guidelines.  And I absolutely "get" that choosing to punt is still a choice/decision.  

The things he has his hands in directly include things like issues with reporting, refusing to go with anyone other than those 65 or older for shots initially (though areas like Orlando and Miami pretty much ignored him on that and did what they wanted) and now he's insisting that cruise lines open, but they can't require proof of vaccination in their opening.

You can read through this thread early on and see my pleasure with how he began this adventure.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Then narrative and science diverged and the wheels began to come off.  
Thanks.

65 or older for shots initially.  Like no frontline workers?  That sounds weird.  Would want to hear his reasoning.  Who else would  you have prioritized in wave 1?  I totally understand the 65 and older, but agree seems very restrictive.  Interesting thing is did any states make it weight/bmi based initially, as that along with age seems to be the lethal comorbidity combo.

I disagree with his decision on cruise lines, I'd allow them to require proof of vax.  I personally would be pretty limited in the instances where I would allow businesses to require it though.  I can see the other side of this argument but thats where I stand for now at least.  

I disagree with his decision on cruise lines, I'd allow them to require proof of vax. 
LOL, his decision.  

He can say he's going to 'allow' or not 'allow' the cruise line whatever he wants.  While he's at it, he should require the cruise lines to blast Jimmy Buffett 24/7 on the PA (maybe they do?)

They don't have to listen to him.  These boats are all operated out of countries I've never heard of so that they don't have to follow US regulations.  Certainly not little declarations by a governor.  

I'm guessing he's smart enough to operate a telephone, so he already knows this. He made that statement to grab himself a news cycle, is my guess.  

Maybe he's dumb enough to try and enforce it, and bar cruise ships from Florida.  They would shrug, change the departure to Puerto Rico, ma and pa in Iowa would change their flight, and Florida would lose millions.  

Go get 'em, Ron!  Sic 'em!! 

LOL, his decision.  

He can say he's going to 'allow' or not 'allow' the cruise line whatever he wants.  While he's at it, he should require the cruise lines to blast Jimmy Buffett 24/7 on the PA (maybe they do?)

They don't have to listen to him.  These boats are all operated out of countries I've never heard of so that they don't have to follow US regulations.  Certainly not little declarations by a governor.  

I'm guessing he's smart enough to operate a telephone, so he already knows this. He made that statement to grab himself a news cycle, is my guess.  

Maybe he's dumb enough to try and enforce it, and bar cruise ships from Florida.  They would shrug, change the departure to Puerto Rico, ma and pa in Iowa would change their flight, and Florida would lose millions.  

Go get 'em, Ron!  Sic 'em!! 
I don’t usually do this...but you seem very upset over something he can’t enforce?

If anyone thinks DeSantis has ANY desire to bar cruise ships from Florida, you're either a (very) low information voter, or you're actively peddling disinformation.

Thanks.

65 or older for shots initially.  Like no frontline workers?  That sounds weird.  Would want to hear his reasoning.  Who else would  you have prioritized in wave 1?  I totally understand the 65 and older, but agree seems very restrictive.  Interesting thing is did any states make it weight/bmi based initially, as that along with age seems to be the lethal comorbidity combo.

I disagree with his decision on cruise lines, I'd allow them to require proof of vax.  I personally would be pretty limited in the instances where I would allow businesses to require it though.  I can see the other side of this argument but thats where I stand for now at least.  
I think hospitals WERE part of it...cops, emts, fire, local practices weren't.  I had my yearly check up in August and the people there still hadn't had their shots.  All those I'd include and I'd also include teachers and staff at all the schools since he forced them to have face to face as an option.  

Messaging has been a muddled, incoherent mess.  He shouted from the rooftops that businesses should have the right to do what they felt was right for themselves for months.  It was a core tenant to his "no state mask mandate" approach, but now apparently he doesn't want to afford them the freedom to do what they feel is right for their situation.  I don't really care one way or the other, just be consistent otherwise you just come across as fake and insincere.  

If anyone thinks DeSantis has ANY desire to bar cruise ships from Florida, you're either a (very) low information voter, or you're actively peddling disinformation.
No one thinks this, so what can he do when these ships enforce their rules?

Not a thing.  

He can fool some people into thinking he made a 'decision'.  Which is probably enough for him.  

I think hospitals WERE part of it...cops, emts, fire, local practices weren't.  I had my yearly check up in August and the people there still hadn't had their shots.  All those I'd include and I'd also include teachers and staff at all the schools since he forced them to have face to face as an option.  

Messaging has been a muddled, incoherent mess.  He shouted from the rooftops that businesses should have the right to do what they felt was right for themselves for months.  It was a core tenant to his "no state mask mandate" approach, but now apparently he doesn't want to afford them the freedom to do what they feel is right for their situation.  I don't really care one way or the other, just be consistent otherwise you just come across as fake and insincere.  
My teacher buddies feel like they've been shat upon by the mighty moRonness. 

I don't think either one of us knows what you're talking about.
DeSantis' 'decision' that the cruise ships cannot insist on vaccination is toothless.  He isn't going to tell cruise ships they either accept all passengers or get out of the state.  He doesn't want to do that. As you pointed out.  So what else can he do? I'll help you out:  Nada.  

He made this proclamation to score points with people who don't know any better.  He knows he has little power over cruise ships. 

It's very much like him suing the CDC to allow cruise ships to begin cruises sooner.  It's not going anywhere, it's grandstanding. 

All his moves are lowest common denominator, he's not trying to run the state, he's getting cheap headlines, and when these bold statements whimper out like the rest of his headline-grabbing moves, the headline will be whatever new stupid move he makes that insults the intelligence of the Florida voter.  

I was answering a poster who referenced his decision.  As if it was his to make.  I was answering that statement.  

Hope this clears it up for ya.  

Florida's governor has signed a law that he called the "strongest anti-rioting, pro-law enforcement measure in the country." The law was written in response to protests around the country following the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police. It provides new protections for police and increases the penalties for people who take part in property damage or violence during protests.

Florida experienced little of the violence seen elsewhere in the country last summer following Floyd's death. But Gov. Ron DeSantis said tougher laws were needed to make sure Florida doesn't see the kind of protests that occurred in Minneapolis, Portland, Ore., and other cities. At the bill signing Monday, DeSantis said, "If you riot, if you loot, if you harm others, particularly if you harm a law enforcement officer during one of these violent assemblies, you're going to jail."

The law increases penalties for protesters who block roadways or deface public monuments. It creates a new crime, "mob intimidation." And it requires that anyone arrested at a protest be denied bail until their first court appearance, likely making for overnight jail stays.
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/19/988791175/florida-adopts-nations-toughest-restrictions-on-protests

It takes a pioneer like DeSantis to create new crimes.

What an innovator!!

Say what you want about Gov. DeSantis, he sure has a knack for getting his enemies to endorse him  :thumbup:

60 Minutes is in the state for 3 months and the best they can come up with is a lie manufactured from the unethical editing of a press conference that was recorded in full by others.

Now it turns out that Gov Whitmer vacationed  here in Florida while she was calling for others to stay at home and avoid travel  :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread