What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

The U.S. Labor Department reports 6.64 million filed for unemployment last week. That's nearly 10 million people in two weeks.
I did it on line last Thursday. Yesterday I received paperwork confirming what I did on line, tax withholding question, and they want my last pay statement which I got today. I am putting it in the mail today. I also did a weekly check in with DES on line. It looks like I have to check in every week. I am not sure when or how I will start receiving the benefit.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
The U.S. Labor Department reports 6.64 million filed for unemployment last week. That's nearly 10 million people in two weeks.
I did it on line last Thursday. Yesterday I received paperwork confirming what I did on line, tax withholding question, and they want my last pay statement which I got today. I am putting it in the mail today. I also did a weekly check in with DES on line. It looks like I have to check in every week. I am not sure when or how I will start receiving the benefit
i am glad you got it done and i hope it starts up soon and everyone else going through the same stay strong and soon you will be back on your feet take that to the bank bromigos 

I forgot to make my yearly call to Siriusxm. I have been with them for many many years. Every year I call and play the game to get a deal. I always get a really good deal, usually more than 50% off.

With everything going on I forgot and they charged me the regular price. I just hopped on line to take care of this. They have a message about staffing issues and to be patient. There is no phone number to call so you are forced to use the chat option. Currently 161 people in front of me. :wall:

Tons of people on the west coast have n95 masks at home due to the smoke from wildfires each summer. Hell, almost everyone I know does. Hospitals here are only taking donations of unopened boxes (which makes sense) though so what am I supposed to do with the 18 I have leftover from last summer other than use them? 

Also in regards to testing, still hearing of stories locally where it’s taking up to TWO WEEKS to get results back🤦‍♂️

Saw this older couple going into the supermarket yesterday and they both had full blown gas masks on.  Must have bought them at an army surplus store.

Not yet, but it's likely the truest accounting of the death toll once this passes is from aggregate "excess deaths" rather than the official count.  A lot of people never make it to a hospital, or are never confirmed positive cases, or have doctors who make a judgment call it wasn't the disease for whatever reason (when it was).  The best estimates may be after the fact.
You could be right about the coming days if it gets out of hand. Zoonation said it's happening already and America is "especially" a culprit. That is most likely inaccurate and seemed like a statement formed out of thin air.

I think-- to this point-- the death numbers we're seeing in the US are still pretty accurate in the overwhelming majority of the country.

For those with two cars has anyone considered cancelling the insurance of one of two cars?
If money is tight, sure. Myself I would prefer to keep both insured in case something happens to the primary vehicle, or if the family needs both vehicles in a pinch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to make my yearly call to Siriusxm. I have been with them for many many years. Every year I call and play the game to get a deal. I always get a really good deal, usually more than 50% off.

With everything going on I forgot and they charged me the regular price. I just hopped on line to take care of this. They have a message about staffing issues and to be patient. There is no phone number to call so you are forced to use the chat option. Currently 161 people in front of me. :wall:
I was hoping they would give me 2 mos for free and hopefully I would be back to work. That was a no go. I had to cancel, I am going to miss that. I used it a lot. 😢

For those with two cars has anyone considered cancelling the insurance of one of two cars?
Not even remotely but I know my job is secure and I'll be back to work in another few weeks. I'm sure it's being contemplated or has already happened for a lot of folks.

Ultimately though, my guess is that blaming anyone for hoarding masks at this point is pointless because even if all those masks were donated they’d be used up pretty quickly. 
Ding ding ding. 

Somebody donating their handful of masks would be donating a useful supply to them for a very long time. If they are only going out for essentials 4 masks could last many many months. 

Fewer people getting sick flattens the curve. And yes. Contrary to what some dishonest medical professionals are out there saying, masks will help prevent it. 

4 masks in a hospital is a drop in the bucket and thats if they didnt throw them away or reject them because they were opened already. 

Nobody is saying hoard tons of unopened boxes of n95 masks. 

But to try to shame people that are wearing one? Or even complaining about it? Yeah thats just being a jerk. Especially on the heels of so many doctors flat out lying to people. 

So I moved my daughter into her apartment over the weekend. She goes to the Whole Foods across the street and does her first big shop as nothing in her refrigerator or pantry. Buys 3 bags of frozen vegetables as she doesn’t eat meat.  I guess they had a limit of one but no sign up. (Didn’t know they were treating vegetables like toilet paper). Check out girl calls her out in a line full of people. “You know you don’t have to hoard. We will have food tomorrow”.  Really?  So you’re the judge now? You’d rather people come back every day and creating more exposure risk? 

It’ll be the same for the N95 shamers and every other holier than thou. Empathetic my ###. Dumbasses
Are you pissed at the limit or the employee?  The employee didn't set the limit, the store did. They probably did for a reason even though you can't see it.  The employee probably had to tell 20 people already that they can't buy more than the limit for certain items. Half of those people probably #####ed and moaned so maybe cut the employee some slack for having to deal with that all day. Maybe she was snarky but put yourself in her shoes.  It's tough on all of them. Try to remember that.

No sign up is a problem, I'll admit, but maybe it fell down or was moved or who knows.  Or maybe the girl was wrong and there was no limit.  If you felt that you could have found the manager and asked I suppose.

I know a couple young adults who work in grocery stores and they are stressed to the max.  I just think we should all be aware that it's a tough gig and maybe cut them a little slack.

my :2cents:  

You’re shocked it’s that low?  Were you expecting 3 times the record? 4?
Yes.  I expected us over 10% unemployment based on all the stores I'm seeing closed and the fact that self-employed people are allowed to file.
We are over 10%, aren't we?

“We are at the mercy of the virus,” said William Rodgers, former chief economist at the US Department of Labor. Rodgers calculates US unemployment, just 3.5% in February, has already reached 17% in just two weeks and that rates for African Americans have soared to 19% from 5.8%.

You could be right about the coming days if it gets out of hand. Zoonation said it's happening already and America is "especially" a culprit. That is most likely inaccurate and seemed like a statement formed out of thin air.

I think-- to this point-- the death numbers we're seeing in the US are still pretty accurate in the overwhelming majority of the country.
I would bet the death numbers in the US are the most accurate metric available in any country right now. 

That might change, but for now, i think that claim is pretty solid. We are doing post mortem testing and we have a media that wants to sensationalize the deaths, even if they arent confirmed positive cases. 

Those two things thus far, would not have allowed for very many deaths to slip through the cracks. 

But we have people that think they had this in November, so i guess believing in secret deaths isnt hard for people to latch onto. 

• Smile
Reactions: RnR
I'm not downplaying the human toll will be large.  This is very contagious.  I am also a realist.  From what a lot of experts have said the cat is out of the bag and pretty much everyone is going to get this disease.  We are past the point of stopping it.  The point of distancing is to cut down on the peaks not to stop all from getting it.  Since I am almost certainly going to get this disease I might as well be at peace with it and realize that it's not exceptionally deadly and hope that immunity holds once we've had it.  That's just the conclusion I have come to myself and I'm not a doctor but neither are most people here so we are all speculating based on the numbers and studies we have read.
Hang in there buddy, for some perspective, here's the world-wide death toll for the first three months of this year:

Coronavirus, 21,000 deaths.

Seasonal flu, 113,000.
Malaria, 228,000.
Suicide, 249,000.
Traffic fatalities, 313, almost 314,000 deaths.
HIV/AIDS, 391,000 deaths.
Alcohol related deaths, 581,000.
Smoking-related deaths, 1,162,000.
Cancer deaths, 1,909,000 deaths.
Deaths attributed to starvation, 2,382,000 deaths.
Death by abortion, 9,900,000.

Once again, you guys do what you want.  But, the following is still almost assuredly true

1)  The reason to wear a mask in public is not for YOUR personal protection.  It's to limit the spread to others and for the protection of all.  Especially since it's clear now that those with the virus that have no symptoms are still infectious and are unknowingly spreading it when they breathe/sneeze/cough and those droplets fall around them. 

2)  To that effect, a simple face mask is all you need in public.  It accomplishes the above just the same as an N95 mask.  Your N95 mask is not necessary at all in public.  Even if you are higher risk or live with higher risk people.  If all you have is an N95 or if you some old ones laying around and want to wear it, have at it.  But there's nothing in the grocery store or wherever else you're going that it's protecting you from.

3)  If you still don't believe #2, then you should be wearing goggles while out in public too.  Because if this thing is aerosolized in public places to the extent that you'd need an N95 mask (which it's not), then your exposed eyes are allowing entry of the virus as well. 

Based on data that's emerging and what we know, I would advocate that we all wear masks in public.  I think it should be mandated at this time.  Anything that covers mouth and nose would be sufficient. 

Final note:  Medical providers are not "lying" to the public.  We want nothing more than to help stop the spread of this.  We are still learning a lot about this virus in particular as well as how to handle a pandemic of this magnitude.  Medical providers are dying at much higher rates than the general population due to their increased exposure to this.  Wanting to arm them with equipment they need is not a sense of entitlement.  To that line, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are not even using N95 masks for most encounters.  If it was truly spread as simply as breathing/coughing/sneezing and being in the vicinity, we would ALL be sick and that simply isn't the case.

Bottomline -- Wear a simple face covering/mask in public to help prevent spread to others.  Wash your hands and don't touch your face to avoid spread to yourself.  Stay away from others as much as possible (stay home, when out > 6 ft) to both avoid spread to others AND to avoid spread to yourself.

Well, we have a positive test in my workplace with eleven others quarantined. I've worked directly with 3 of the 11 within the last week. So far none of them are showing any symptoms. 

I'm with @beer 30

Governor McMaster needs to go ahead and shut down the state. I'll still have to work since we are deemed essential. 

Can dogs/cats transfer it to humans?  Like if I let the cat out in the neighborhood & pet it, or let the dogs lick my face?  

If you just want to cancel, send them an email and they'll do it in a day or two. I had the same issue last week and just canceled since I only listen in the car and am not driving anywhere any more. 

If you just want to cancel, send them an email and they'll do it in a day or two. I had the same issue last week and just canceled since I only listen in the car and am not driving anywhere any more. 
Yea, send them an email and say your #161 in line and you don't have time to sit on a chat all day

@prosopis This, unless you actually want to keep it.

They'll likely ask why you want to cancel and you can say "because the regular rate is too high." And when they ask what they could do to change your mind, just say "give me the same rate I had last year and credit the amount I was charged at the full rate towards this year." They'll likely agree and move on.

I've had to do this before when I forgot to make my call before it renewed. They definitely don't want to lose subscribers.

I was hoping they would give me 2 mos for free and hopefully I would be back to work. That was a no go. I had to cancel, I am going to miss that. I used it a lot. 😢
Sheesh. Were they still willing to deal, just not willing to float two months?

If it was truly spread as simply as breathing/coughing/sneezing and being in the vicinity, we would ALL be sick and that simply isn't the case.
Quoted for truth. A lot of people in meatspace thinks it basically spreads "by magic" -- e.g. leaving your house at all, passing near (but not on top of) a person who is facing away from you, handling objects that have been in your house for years, etc.

Seriously?

Georgia Gov yesterday

“What we’ve been telling people from directives from the CDC for weeks now— that if you start feeling bad, stay home—those individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours”

Ooof

Cases of Covid-19 have flattened in the Czech Republic beginning March 20th. They made masks mandatory in public beginning March 18th. It's beyond ridiculous that the rest of Europe and North America haven't followed suit by now.

https://twitter.com/_max_m/status/1245005506193711104/photo/1

https://www.praguemorning.cz/usage-of-masks-flattened-growth-of-coronavirus-cases-in-czech-republic/

Howard claimed that in South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan as theses countries are using masks to prevent the spread of the disease. “In South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan there is no lock-down. Yet COVID-19 is being controlled in these countries. How has this happened? One of the key reasons is that mask-wearing in public is ubiquitous and socially expected,” Howard said.

As of Sunday morning, there were 2,669 cases of COVID-19 in the country, with 13 dead.

Regardless, it's coming...

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/01/825180019/in-big-adjustment-some-european-countries-push-for-residents-to-wear-masks

This one we’ve batted aside twice already. Doesn’t matter who published it or who wrote it — it doesn’t put forth a definitive CFR. Fauci and his co-writers were speaking hypothetically.
Fine, what about the Lancet Journal of Infectious Disease?
Their math is solid  ... but the reader is asked to accept "repatriated Westerners from Wuhan who tested positive without symptoms before 2/7/2020" as a proxy for "the general run of humanity not showing symptoms". Some researchers will be OK with this as "best we've got right now" figures ... others will want to dig deeper and compare notes to folks riding this out in other parts of the world, in other healthcare systems, in different socio-cultural approaches to quarantining, etc.

Something else to consider that's been said many times in this thread: case-fatality rate, or mortality rate ... or really any rate is not an essential trait of a virus. A battery of factors external to the physiological aspects of the infection make much more of a difference in outcomes. The Lancet article at heart is a mathematical exercise, not a pronouncement on all-situational truth -- and the authors take care to note, over and over again, that they are fashioning an estimate. An estimate is better than nothing, yes -- but it does not conclusively inform anyone about the potential outcomes for a given patient, a given facility, a given town or city, a given region, or even a given country.

I've got 4 N95's from a 5-pack I bought about 3 years ago for a woodworking project.  I ended up only using one because I bought a better/more comfortable cartridge style mask.  Wore one to the grocery store earlier this week and got several dirty looks.  I'd have to assume it's because people felt I shouldn't have them.  If anyone took donations of opened packs, I'd gladly give all but one up...but nobody wants opened ones.
Heck, I bought 4 N95 masks from 1SaleDeals about a week ago (a closeout/overstock sale kind of place).  If that place has them I'm surprised that hospitals are having a hard time finding them.

Cases of Covid-19 have flattened in the Czech Republic beginning March 20th. They made masks mandatory in public beginning March 18th. It's beyond ridiculous that the rest of Europe and North America hasn't followed suit by now.

https://www.praguemorning.cz/usage-of-masks-flattened-growth-of-coronavirus-cases-in-czech-republic/

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/01/825180019/in-big-adjustment-some-european-countries-push-for-residents-to-wear-masks
To be fair, 2 days after a policy is not enough time to see the effects.  That flattening was mostly due to other reasons.

To be fair, 2 days after a policy is not enough time to see the effects.  That flattening was mostly due to other reasons.
True, but look where they sit over two weeks later - 13 deaths!

This is insanity that we're still going about in public without mandatory masks.

People can make them at home, you can even get by with a friggin' scarf.

Cases of Covid-19 have flattened in the Czech Republic beginning March 20th. They made masks mandatory in public beginning March 18th. It's beyond ridiculous that the rest of Europe and North America haven't followed suit by now...

So, can someone provide a link to purchase some decent masks online?  I know that N95s are unavailable.  What's a decent, available alternative.  TIA.

I think it is very clear we should all be wearing masks in public.  Problem is there aren't enough masks.  The policy of this country has been no masks not because it doesn't protect people but because we don't have any.  

So, can someone provide a link to purchase some decent masks online?  I know that N95s are unavailable.  What's a decent, available alternative.  TIA.
Unless you're a health care provider, a n95 mask is not only unnecessary, it takes them away from the HCPs who need them most. Basic disposables or washable reusables are all you need... 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=face+mask+flu&crid=1F7ZD2AT2G4E3&sprefix=face+mask+%2Caps%2C240&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_10

In the Czech Republic they were teaching people how to make them at home.

Users who are viewing this thread