What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash - TMZ (1 Viewer)

Man, hearing all these stories about Kobe, dude sounded like an amazing person. The world lost a great one. 
Was thinking that too, then thinking maybe people are exaggerating a bit considering the circumstances, but there's so many stories and there's complete consistency among them.  For someone who I always thought had a huge ego - and I think he did - it seemed like he had turned into a really humble guy who seemed to go out of his way for other people, and most importantly seemed really dedicated to being a good dad.

I know I’m in the minority on this, and this is being covered in the other thread about career paths and guiding our kids etc., but I actually feel like Kobe’s advice here isn’t very good. He’s ragging on his guidance counselor for advising him not to focus on basketball.  Of course FOR HIM, the one in a billion, that was terrible advice in retrospect. But for how many other kids, particularly inner city kids who have grown up thinking they will make a living being professional athletes, is that EXACTLY the dead on right advice those kids need to hear?

Anyway, a bit of an aside from the point of this thread, but I always wince when the star professional athlete suggests to kids “don’t listen to your guidance counselor when they tell you not to frame your future around being a professional athlete.”  It’s a sweet sentiment and all, but jeez. 
You’re not wrong but your kids are already lost if you’re not parenting them along with advice like this. I’ve explained to my kids over and over to think about what their passions are and that if they can find a career field that pays them to do what they love that they will live richer lives than a job they hate that pays well. 

I think that’s what he was saying. Also, Kobe’s trainer with the lakers recently stated that There was nothing spectacular about Kobe Bryant physically. It was his work ethic that got him to championships. 

Was thinking that too, then thinking maybe people are exaggerating a bit considering the circumstances, but there's so many stories and there's complete consistency among them.  For someone who I always thought had a huge ego - and I think he did - it seemed like he had turned into a really humble guy who seemed to go out of his way for other people, and most importantly seemed really dedicated to being a good dad.
Some Pa announcer for the Pacers shared a story about how after the game Kobe waited for him outside the locker room to say hi. Kobe knew he was new because he never saw him at a game there before and wanted to tell him he did a really good job. Imagine Kobe Bryant knowing the PA announcer for a team he only visits once a year and then seeking him out after. 

I kinda feel dumb hating on him all those years when I was younger. I’ve gotten away from sports hate as I got older but it was still pretty stupid. 

I just read that his funeral might be in the Coliseum. I would have to guess it’d be closed casket. I haven’t heard anything about the condition of the bodies. With that fog they may have not even known what was happening. That’s what I hope at least. 

Video of the helicopter a few minutes before it crashed (allegedly). Assuming that is really the flight in question, it looks overcast with some fog but it doesn’t seem excessive. Not sure how they can verify the video to determine if that is the actual helicopter or not. 

I just read that his funeral might be in the Coliseum. I would have to guess it’d be closed casket. I haven’t heard anything about the condition of the bodies. With that fog they may have not even known what was happening. That’s what I hope at least. 
Seems like a weird thing to think about. Im sure whatever is done will be tasteful and amazing. 

Some Pa announcer for the Pacers shared a story about how after the game Kobe waited for him outside the locker room to say hi. Kobe knew he was new because he never saw him at a game there before and wanted to tell him he did a really good job. Imagine Kobe Bryant knowing the PA announcer for a team he only visits once a year and then seeking him out after. 

I kinda feel dumb hating on him all those years when I was younger. I’ve gotten away from sports hate as I got older but it was still pretty stupid. 
I hated Kobe when he was playing too and really don`t know why.  Loved when the Pistons whipped Kobe and Shaq.  I too do not really hate on any player now but I then again I am not really invested in sports like I was in my 20s and 30s. 

When I saw Kobe interviewed on some talk shows and he was so different than the run of the mill NBA player.   Always dressed to impress and looked and acted like class.

I'm guessing there will be a public viewing closed casket and for sure  a private funeral. 

I kinda feel dumb hating on him all those years when I was younger.
Same and while my reasons were all basketball related they seem pretty trivial now.

Read a piece yesterday by Jemele Hill where she writes about how she first spoke with Kobe after going off on him on-air about his stance on the Travyon Marting shooting. He ended up sending her a text before she even got off air and that led to them talking. She referenced that she considered him to be preciously arrogant during that time and that's an apt description.

Caught up in my rooting against him I failed to see the growth of the man from young arrogant man to father and mentor to apparently so many people.

Been a lot of stories coming out on the positive impact he had on people,  way he treated people behind the scenes which was nothing like I thought he was but none quite like this story where he visited a dying 5 year old boy, some of this is cut off but really worth a quick read: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPVpVnCX0AENc7y.jpg

Same and while my reasons were all basketball related they seem pretty trivial now.

Read a piece yesterday by Jemele Hill where she writes about how she first spoke with Kobe after going off on him on-air about his stance on the Travyon Marting shooting. He ended up sending her a text before she even got off air and that led to them talking. She referenced that she considered him to be preciously arrogant during that time and that's an apt description.

Caught up in my rooting against him I failed to see the growth of the man from young arrogant man to father and mentor to apparently so many people.

Been a lot of stories coming out on the positive impact he had on people,  way he treated people behind the scenes which was nothing like I thought he was but none quite like this story where he visited a dying 5 year old boy, some of this is cut off but really worth a quick read: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPVpVnCX0AENc7y.jpg
I have no doubt there's a lot of such stories we don't know about. While people are alive, what the media jumps on is the bad news. That's why I hardly watch the news, especially political news. It would do us all good to hear of such above and beyond things that not only celebs do but every day people. It just makes you feel good when it seems according to the media, it's mostly gloom.

I hated Kobe when he was playing too and really don`t know why.  Loved when the Pistons whipped Kobe and Shaq.  I too do not really hate on any player now but I then again I am not really invested in sports like I was in my 20s and 30s. 

When I saw Kobe interviewed on some talk shows and he was so different than the run of the mill NBA player.   Always dressed to impress and looked and acted like class.

I have no doubt there's a lot of such stories we don't know about. While people are alive, what the media jumps on is the bad news. That's why I hardly watch the news, especially political news. It would do us all good to hear of such above and beyond things that not only celebs do but every day people. It just makes you feel good when it seems according to the media, it's mostly gloom.
This is from my SIL's dad a few days ago on FB.  Pic with him, Kobe and Vanessa also at Antenello's. (about 5-6 yrs ago)
I had the pleasure to meet him, his wife and their 2 daughters at that time. What impressed me the most about him and his family how humble they were especially their 2 daughter. They were the most polite, courteous and kind girls that I ever met. Every time we met, he always took the opportunity to refresh his Italian. You will be missed by more people that you would ever imagine. RIP Kobi and Gianna . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard yesterday the number of make a wish kids he had done stuff with, i dont remember the number but it shocked me how high it was. Like maybe 150-200, but dont quote me on that. 

Thought that was pretty cool. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

I am a native Oregonian.  Our only pro team for most of my life was the Portland Trail Blazers.  The Blazers fought back to force a game 7 in the WCF of 2000, and led by 15 with like 11 minutes left in the game.  My wife and I were on a vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with our best friends, and my buddy and I had sneaked away to the cantina to check out the game.  We were apoplectic as the Lakers came back.  We watched the Kobe to Shaq oop while sipping Coronas, and knew it was over.  Dropped our bottles and walked out miserable.  I rooted against Kobe after that, and honestly kinda felt like Colorado was schadenfreude.  Though that bitterness lessened over the years.

I'm more mature now.  Been through my own mistakes.  Believe in redemption.  Wish I'd have appreciated him more while he was playing.  RIP.

leave it to the ffa to ruin a thread after 48 hours
Just be glad it isn’t in the PSF, you wouldn’t have gotten 48 seconds. 

Just watched the footage a man took from his back yard when the helicopter was circling for 11 minutes, can’t believe they were up there in that much fog.  

Also hearing all the Uconn players and former Uconn players just rave about him kind of helps me not think of the rape allegations.  

I heard yesterday the number of make a wish kids he had done stuff with, i dont remember the number but it shocked me how high it was. Like maybe 150-200, but dont quote me on that. 

Thought that was pretty cool. 

My daughter told me 200 yesterday
Heard today that he did all kinds of behind the scenes charity work and nobody knew about it. He didn’t call the cameras in like most do. 

I adored Kobe but even I am shocked at the amount of people his passing has deeply affected. I’ve never seen anything like this in my lifetime. 

This is from my SIL's dad a few days ago on FB.  Pic with him, Kobe and Vanessa also at Antenello's. (about 5-6 yrs ago)
I had the pleasure to meet him, his wife and their 2 daughters at that time. What impressed me the most about him and his family how humble they were especially their 2 daughter. They were the most polite, courteous and kind girls that I ever met. Every time we met, he always took the opportunity to refresh his Italian. You will be missed by more people that you would ever imagine. RIP Kobi and Gianna . 
Natalia and Gianna always struck me as kind and humble. Even Vanessa went from imo being kind of stuck up to after kids, softening and proud of her family. Her Instagram shows it. 

Just watched Jimmy Kimmel tribute from last night. Job well done showing some past interviews. 

Just read they missed clearing the hill by 20-30 feet.  I never particularly cared for Kobe while he was playing, but this sucks incredibly bad.  

Damn man.  :cry:

Just read they missed clearing the hill by 20-30 feet.  I never particularly cared for Kobe while he was playing, but this sucks incredibly bad.  
Either Kobe or the pilot could have said let’s not take the chance and do this today. We will just have to miss one game. It sucks that they didn’t. 

Either Kobe or the pilot could have said let’s not take the chance and do this today. We will just have to miss one game. It sucks that they didn’t. 
Kobe isn't a pilot or weatherman. He probably diverted the decision to the experienced pilot who has flown in bad conditions.  Seems though it was bad luck if they got the clearance to go. The micro climate seems to have changed, and at that point, you're stuck. It seems to me the pilot was surprised at the quick change. We may never know since he's dead.

The Jerry West one is just as bad. Compares it only to losing his brother in Korea. Says he doesn’t think he will ever get over it. Just brutal.

Oh my... maybe the most genuine moment I’ve ever seen surrounding sports.
Yes. Shaq seems to have gotten more genuine over the years...

"This whole situation is ridiculous," O'Neal told ESPN. "I
never hang out with Kobe, I never hung around him. In the seven or
eight years we were together, we were never together.
So how this
guy can think he knows anything about me or my business is funny.

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=1891629

Yes. Shaq seems to have gotten more genuine over the years...

"This whole situation is ridiculous," O'Neal told ESPN. "I
never hang out with Kobe, I never hung around him. In the seven or
eight years we were together, we were never together.
So how this
guy can think he knows anything about me or my business is funny.

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=1891629
Yea I can even remember when he threw shaq under the bus to the cops.   I’m not sure how that makes shaq more genuine per say but they seem to had gotten past that stuff anyways.  

Kenny's most memorable moment....he wanted to raise money for a charity. First person he called, Kobe. No problem. Want me to do media too? From there when Garnett and others found out, others followed. $6 mil raised.

Kobe isn't a pilot or weatherman. He probably diverted the decision to the experienced pilot who has flown in bad conditions.  Seems though it was bad luck if they got the clearance to go. The micro climate seems to have changed, and at that point, you're stuck. It seems to me the pilot was surprised at the quick change. We may never know since he's dead.
I saw an interview with one of the pilots who also flew for Kobe. He said the call to fly or not is always the pilots, no one else's. 

This happened in one of my accounting classes today at the university I'm at.  18 students.  We did a short online quiz at the end as a review (using their phones ..program called Kahoot).  Students input their name/nickname/whatever as an identifier.  The program tracks points for correct responses and a bit for speed, which makes it more fun and slightly competitive as they view the running tally on the overhead screen in the front of the room.  We finished just as our class time ran out, so the last moment of our class was the winning student's moniker appearing on the screen.  The name he used as a tribute?  Kobe

Dwight Howard on Saturday, 12 hours beforethe crash... "we don't appreciate each other as much as we should as a humanity. We should appreciate each other while they're alive." Eerie.

Users who are viewing this thread