What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash - TMZ (2 Viewers)

This.  The sheriff said that no family deserved to hear that family members have passed away through TMZ before they heard from the authorities.  I don’t disagree. 
Yeah, I agree. I imagine larger municipalities have procedures and resources in place meant to break the news in a way that is as respectful and supportive as possible while helping the family through things. That seems way better than the family hearing about it on social media/people seeing it and calling/texting them/or the media calling them.

Though I also agree that there was very little chance of nobody reporting this. It’s an unfortunate reality of modern society. What’s terrible is that this obviously didn’t just affect family that is somewhat used to celebrity, this affected the others that were on board as well. Family members would have known that they were with Kobe, so as soon as it was reported that Kobe had been killed and there were no survivors, that was the same as informing them that their loved one(s) are gone as well.

The maker of the helicopter that crashed and killed former NBA superstar Kobe Bryant on Sunday pledged to investigate the incident.

Defense contractor and aerospace giant Lockheed Martin said it would probe the crash of its Sikorsky S-76B helicopter in Calabasas, California near Malibu, which killed nine people.

The S-76 series helicopter debuted in the 1970s. Sikorsky has made several major upgrades to it since then, including the most recent S76-D model. The company has sold than 875 worldwide, including 103 units of the S-76B, Sikorsky spokesperson Callie Ferrari said in an email.

The helicopter was "originally built for the rigorous demands of the offshore oil & gas" industries," but "its capabilities fit naturally into other market segments," including executive transportation and emergency services, Lockheed Martin says on its website.

Lockheed Martin acquired Stratford, Connecticut-based Sikorsky Aircraft in 2015. At the time, Sikorsky had nearly 15,000 employees in 11 countries. All five branches of the U.S. military use its helicopters in some capacity.

The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are also launching investigations of the crash, FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer said in an email to USA TODAY.
Very sad day.  I've always had a fear of helicopters.  I'm still at a loss for words. 

Wondering if this is a kid of Joe Altobelli who is very well known in the Oriole organization.
Joe had longtime affiliation with Rochester Red Wings (O's  former Triple A team) & is known as "Mr Baseball" here. Couldn't find anything on local news sites but would seem quite  coincidental if no relation.

I had read that a emergency helicopter piolt is right at the top of the most deadly jobs in the USA and that on average a 30 year veteran has a 30% chance of a fatal crash (seems super high obv).

i suppose if that is true flying back and forth to LA most days the numbers would catch up with you even if you are the best pilot in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any of us gave half the effort in our lives that Kobe did in his our lives would be substantially more richer. 

I have always been in awe of his basketball drive but you can tel it wasn’t limited to basketball, it was everything he did. 

Joe had longtime affiliation with Rochester Red Wings (O's  former Triple A team) & is known as "Mr Baseball" here. Couldn't find anything on local news sites but would seem quite  coincidental if no relation.
I'm a 585er as well. When I saw the name, first question I had. Joe still is in the area.

Very sad day.  I've always had a fear of helicopters.  I'm still at a loss for words. 
We took our first helicopter ride in Hawaii a few months ago. Wasn’t scary at all and was very enjoyable. Yes it was only one flight.  I will do it again when we return.  We went thru rain (pilot said there is rain on every flight on Kauai).  Pilot has IFR equipment showing terrain and how close the terrain is. Doesn’t mean you can’t have fear of them and now there have been a couple of fatal helicopter crashes in the last month.  This was a very advanced helicopter with dual engines and built for the oil and gas off-shore industry. Then it was was adopted for corporate travel.  It is a very tragic story today.

We took our first helicopter ride in Hawaii a few months ago. Wasn’t scary at all and was very enjoyable. I will do it again when we return.  We went thru rain (pilot said there is rain on every flight on Kauai).  Pilot has IFR equipment showing terrain and how close the terrain is. Doesn’t mean you can’t have fear of them and now there have been a couple of fatal helicopter crashes in the last month.  It is a very tragic story today.
Thanks. The wife wanted to do an air tour of Niagara Falls and it was a hard pass for me.  Being with the military I've seen many helicopter crashes and hear about them often.  They aren't always bad crashes, but they don't feel safe to me. 

Pretty classy of Shaq to include the other families when he tweeted out condolences earlier.  
I'm very glad for Shaq that they buried the hatchet and got along after a while.  Today would be infinitely worse for him if they hadn't.

Hes not in the HOF yet. Ugh
No matter who gives his induction speech, I won't be able to watch that.  Just wouldn't make it through.

Just about the worst feeling I can ever remember as an NBA fan. 

I moved to Los Angeles in 2000 and wasn't much of an NBA fan prior but quickly got caught up in the Lakers and then following the NBA for the last 20 years between there and Miami. 

I know everyone will have a personal story that relates to Kobe and whether you rooted for him or hated him, today is just a tragedy on so many levels. I can't imagine what his wife Vanessa must be feeling tonight losing both Kobe and their daughter Gianna.

He was an ambassador of the NBA and he allowed for me and SO MANY OTHRS to connect with the sport and the entire NBA not just in America but around the World. This is going to hurt for a long time and it's going to have an impact around the globe. He had fans everywhere. 

Thanks for the amazing shots, amazing moments in Championship games, there's a lot of sad and empty faces in the NBA tonight. 

RIP 

We took our first helicopter ride in Hawaii a few months ago. Wasn’t scary at all and was very enjoyable. Yes it was only one flight.  I will do it again when we return.  We went thru rain (pilot said there is rain on every flight on Kauai).  Pilot has IFR equipment showing terrain and how close the terrain is. Doesn’t mean you can’t have fear of them and now there have been a couple of fatal helicopter crashes in the last month.  This was a very advanced helicopter with dual engines and built for the oil and gas off-shore industry. Then it was was adopted for corporate travel.  It is a very tragic story today.
I'm pretty sure a helicopter with tourists crashed in Hawaii very recently.

Equipment and humans fail, especially when subjected to extreme elements. 

Thanks. The wife wanted to do an air tour of Niagara Falls and it was a hard pass for me.  Being with the military I've seen many helicopter crashes and hear about them often.  They aren't always bad crashes, but they don't feel safe to me. 
An Army copter crash was reported yesterday & I said to my wife 'if you can't trust military copters, can you really trust any?

Michael Brown said:
Jim Grey on Fox News right now talking about the deceased daughter. They got her name right and which one it was, but they also twice referred to her as his "eldest daughter". But she isn't the eldest daughter. Again, people who are only seeing that part of the story are still getting bad info one way or the other regardless of how this actually turns out. I would say the people on this board have been far more responsible than the ACTUAL news networks with our commentary to this point. Thank guys
I agree with MB, I thought it was the oldest daughter for quite a while today and that was well after the media had first reported none of his family was on board which proved to be totally false. 

We don't want or need to shift focus here but it's disturbing how fast misinformation is spread...and we should just stop right about here. 

I had read that a emergency helicopter piolt is right at the top of the most deadly jobs in the USA and that on average a 30 year veteran has a 30% chance of a fatal crash (seems super high obv).

i suppose if that is true flying back and forth to LA most days the numbers would catch up with you even if you are the best pilot in the world.
I mentioned this recently...I've known three people to lose parents in helicopter crashes. They scare the ever loving crap out of me.

I mentioned this recently...I've known three people to lose parents in helicopter crashes. They scare the ever loving crap out of me.
This. I took a ride in one when i was ten. Scared the #### outta me. Too many variables for a desaster. Don't trust em. 

Apologize for the melodrama, but I'm wrecked. Picked up season seats with my best friend in 87 and never let them go. I haven't watched a full football game this year, but I haven't missed a night of nba... or nba dfs. I made a dfs team last night and entered it 50 times to be edited repeatedly today. I never changed it. I can't watch the games. I don't want to hear the words. I'm in denial.

I’m seeing another name from TMZ. Christina Mauser, she apparently was a coach at the school. 

I am seeing the name John Altobelli as one of the other victims. Baseball coach at a California community college. Along with his daughter. 
https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1221588406557343744?s=19

"Orange County baseball coach John Altobelli, his daughter Alyssa and wife Keri died in helicopter crash along with Kobe Bryant." 

Left behind a son and daughter, who just lost both their parents and a sister :( so terrible. 

She tweeted an apology and I read a few replies. It strikes me that black people do not seem to feel the same way. 
This should be about Kobe and his family and the other families that lost loved ones.   Not about a sidebar story.   The Twitter mob is really screwed up.  Laying on your couch "outraged" more about a slip of words than people actually dying.  Very sad and disgusting.  Hope Bryant's family and the others are not dragged into this mess.

This should be about Kobe and his family and the other families that lost loved ones.   Not about a sidebar story.   The Twitter mob is really screwed up.  Laying on your couch "outraged" more about a slip of words than people actually dying.  Very sad and disgusting.  Hope Bryant's family and the others are not dragged into this mess.
:thumbup:

Completely devastated by this. 2 weeks ago I had to put down our family dog who was 10, we named him Hendrix but he was almost named Kobe. My boys and I are huge laker fans, they like me were also huge Kobe fans. The loss of my dog made me realize that I’m now an empty nester and that part of our lives is forever gone. Now there’s another large part of that great time in my life that is gone, thanks for all the years of bonding time you gave to me and my sons Mamba :sadbanana:

This. The world gives nobody an inch these days. Always desperately looking for an excuse to be outraged. Pretty easy to misspeak especially when you’re handling all sorts of breaking news at once, and I can’t imagine how many people she had talking in her earpiece. Sad world for so many reasons, the outrage over this is another example.  Why not focus on what actually matters?
So true...

Jesus.  Those poor kids.  Their lives are just destroyed. 
Hopefully they’re either adults (possible since the dad at least was 56), or very very young. Still would be absolutely devastating, but I just don’t know how kids in the 6-18 year old range would ever cope.

Completely devastated by this. 2 weeks ago I had to put down our family dog who was 10, we named him Hendrix but he was almost named Kobe. My boys and I are huge laker fans, they like me were also huge Kobe fans. The loss of my dog made me realize that I’m now an empty nester and that part of our lives is forever gone. Now there’s another large part of that great time in my life that is gone, thanks for all the years of bonding time you gave to me and my sons Mamba :sadbanana:
Same. I found out from my 20 year old daughter who called me crying uncontrollably this morning. When the Lakers moved from Inglewood to Downtown, we upgraded to seats near the tunnel. She slipped through the crowd 50 times trying for a high five from Kobe, whichg she received several times. She grew up with a poster of him above her closet. Just so awful. Her favorite athlete from any sport.

Users who are viewing this thread