What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Oscars: Once Upon a Sunday (1 Viewer)

How many of these movies have you seen?

• All of them

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • 7 or 8

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • 5 or 6

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • 3 or 4

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • 1 or 2

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • None

Votes: 22 18.0%

• Total voters
As much as I like to bandwagon, I wasn't impressed with it. My wife and I (neither of us are Korean) consume a lot of Korean content. And we didn't think it was that great. I'm happy it won, but I liked Joker a ton more.
Cant get behind this.  I was actively rooting against Joker.  Just a rehash of a couple old Scorsese movies.  

Bong winning 4 oscars in a night is an unbreakable record I think

Its a throwback in that its just a good damn movie, and a ride and not a portrayal of characters thats become very rote in American cinema.  Its got some complicated ####ty people 

I had no idea that in order for Starbucks to make my cafe Mocha, Bessie was being repeatedly raped. I’m going to switch to almond milk. 
Dude. They bring in colonies of bees to continuously rape the almond trees, and then you feel entitled to drink the ground-up tree babies that are ripped from their parents.  You specieist monster. 

For those that have seen Parasite, is it really that good? I'd have a tough time reading 2+ hours of sub titles without getting distracted
It is good enough to keep my wife (who I'd guess actually "sees" about 50% of the typical movie we stream at home) from picking up her phone and playing her usual mindless game while watching.  It's a bit weird, but definitely well done, and gripping enough that I forgot I was reading subtitles just a little bit into the movie. 

Eta: Oh, and I don't think there's any chance I'd have been able to get through either The Irishman or Marriage Story had they been subtitled from a different language.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that have seen Parasite, is it really that good? I'd have a tough time reading 2+ hours of sub titles without getting distracted
I very rarely watch subtitled movies, and when I do I have a very hard feeling fully engaged.  That wasn't the case at all with Parasite.  It hummed right along and was easy to follow.

hell. YES. 

caught it last night after dinner ... not a second was wasted in the entire flick - it zips and bends and twists and entertains the whole way thru ... the subtitles were a verrrry minute price to pay for such quality enjoyment. 

if this were an American production i could easily see it coming from the Coens ... it has that kinda vibe to it. 

can't really chat about any of the goings on, 'cuz spoilers start pretty much from jump - but the performances were all spot on, great job from the whole cast - never felt as if i wasn't a fly on their collective walls - for as sleek and stylish as the aesthetic was, it also had a firm sense of intimacy, if not flat out voyeurism. 

can't recommend enough, it was such a great ####in' ride!

And Joaquin's speech is why he shouldn't win, how much was he acting?  He's a fruitcake playing a fruitcake.  Everyone else plays actual characters and I'd even put the snubbed Deniro, Murphy and Sandler in front of him
Said the same thing to my wife essentially.  He wasn’t acting - he’s perpetually unhinged.  

I watched Joker recently.  It’s not a good movie, and his acting isn’t anything special.   Not memorable.  Definitely not rewatchable.  

Then again, I didn’t enjoy The Irishman either.

Drinking cow milk is pretty gross if you think about it.

A bowl of cereal is so damn good though.
Once you stop drinking it for a long period of time and try it again it tastes really gross.  I developed a minor intolerance to dairy so I just didn't drink it, when I tried it again it tasted like a weird milkshake

:lmao:   After seeing it my daughter texted, "You NEED to see Parasite!"  She has good taste so figured it must be really good.

Haven't seen it yet.  :mellow:  
It’s in the running for the best movie of the decade yet alone year. Well worth seeing even if one doesn’t normally watch foreign movies.

How soon before we get an Americanized remake?
Good question. This had a massive crossover success so I could see it not being remade. It certainly could be. There’s nothing about it that wouldn’t translate to the US (which is part of the appeal). 

Oh I forgot that Adam McKay and Bong are working on an HBO tv show adaptation based on it.

Bill Maher‏ @billmaher 11h11 hours ago

Yes! I was rooting for Joker to win! Big week for sociopaths in face paint.

It’s in the running for the best movie of the decade yet alone year. Well worth seeing even if one doesn’t normally watch foreign movies.
I wouldn't go that far, but it's interesting that this is the first Best Picture winner I've actually seen since The Hurt Locker.  

Edit: Actually, I saw five of this year's nominees: Parasite, Hollywood, Joker, Marriage Story, and Irishman.  After looking back at the past decade or so, most years I watched either one or zero of the nominees.  The last couple of years were just brutal.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's interesting that this is the first Best Picture winner I've actually seen since The Hurt Locker.  

Edit: Actually, I saw five of this year's nominees: Parasite, Hollywood, Joker, Marriage Story, and Irishman.  After looking back at the past decade or so, most years I watched either one or zero of the nominees.  The last couple of years were just brutal.
I’m not saying it’s my best of the decade but it’s been ranked very high on a lot of best of decade critic lists. Moonlight, Social Network, Mad Max seem like the few movies every critic has in their top 10.

Once you stop drinking it for a long period of time and try it again it tastes really gross.  I developed a minor intolerance to dairy so I just didn't drink it, when I tried it again it tasted like a weird milkshake
We are drinking the milk from another animal's ###. NASTY.

:pourscreamerincoffee:

I am a big JoJo fan (so I am biased) but I thought Scarlett was better in JoJo than Laura Dern was in Marriage Story. 
I was really rooting for her to sweep both of the Lead and Supporting Actress categories.

Dern and Zellweger both had great performances though so they were both deserving winners.  

First time i ever turned the Oscars off (OK i was only half watching - BB marathon, i'm a sucka fuhdat - anyway). I must be getting old, but the luckiest people in the world kvetching & kvelling about the jerrrrrrneeeeeees of life, world, art and, most importantly, memememememememememememememememememememe has lost its considerable power to charm me. But i am digging this whole "nominate fascistly, vote guiltily" phenomenon. Since i never watch anything til it makes it to a streaming service anymore, i'm not invested anyway. Go Dolemite!

They tried that with Oldboy and it was pretty much a box office disaster.
They keep trying it:  Let Me In, the upcoming Downhill, etc..   I guess they must make enough money to keep trying, but I can only think of one American remake I thought was better than the original and that was about 20 years ago with The Ring.  

Users who are viewing this thread