What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Anthony McFarland Jr. - Steelers (1 Viewer)

LOL, smarta
The honest answer, to quote George's boss Mr. Kruger, 'I'm not too worried about it'. In real football yeah, but not for fantasy. Plenty of jerks have put up stats. An issue of work ethic matters, but these things are not predictive that I know; usually offered as an explanation after the fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the landing spot.  More of a compliment than a true do everything type but he'll get his opportunity.  Snell sucks, Samuels is just a depth guy, so is Conner at this point.  It's a massive 4 way timeshare.  

Really couldn't have picked many better landing spots. Steelers desperately need a COP.

Id have traded for Breida over McFarland but at least fills a need

100%...to me it says Jaylen Samuels isn't cutting it and we need another weapon in the backfield.
In fairness to Samuels, he was always a project because he never actually specialized a position.  He did everything.  So far that's kind of what we've seen in Pittsburgh.  If he specialized as a RB I think he might be a better version of Antonio Gibson.  But I doubt that happens at this point.  Wish he just grinded at 1 position rather than be a utility knife. 

In fairness to Samuels, he was always a project because he never actually specialized a position.  He did everything.  So far that's kind of what we've seen in Pittsburgh.  If he specialized as a RB I think he might be a better version of Antonio Gibson.  But I doubt that happens at this point.  Wish he just grinded at 1 position rather than be a utility knife. 
The flip-side is coming out I think a lot of his value was being a utility knife but fast-forward and you are probably right.

And the Steelers could draft a RB earlier in the 2021 draft if they let Conner walk. McFarland is a guy I like but this doesn’t scream “heir apparent” to me.
Yeah I agree,  but the good thing about this landing spot is that he will likely get opportunity to play.  Connors always seems to have something wrong.  It won't require a big investment,  so if he doesn't work out you can just move on.  

Explosive with an elite quality (speed) and a relatively think, durable frame on an RB friendly system with no RB of the future and plenty of opportunity from Conner being hurt--not saying he will turn into anything but these are the types of fliers I love to take.

Missed out in the draft but trying to make a move for him; really gives me some Aaron Jones vibes with the opportunity he has despite being a day 3 pick, character concerns and the thought that he is too small to be a starter

Certainly risk that the Steelers take an RB in the first 3 rounds next year: of their first 3 picks, I assume one will be a CB, one will be an OL and the other will be either a QB, LB or RB

Not a Steelers fan so I can't make a guarantee but that is my read from what I know/have seen of them

Explosive with an elite quality (speed) and a relatively think, durable frame on an RB friendly system with no RB of the future and plenty of opportunity from Conner being hurt--not saying he will turn into anything but these are the types of fliers I love to take.

Missed out in the draft but trying to make a move for him; really gives me some Aaron Jones vibes with the opportunity he has despite being a day 3 pick, character concerns and the thought that he is too small to be a starter

Certainly risk that the Steelers take an RB in the first 3 rounds next year: of their first 3 picks, I assume one will be a CB, one will be an OL and the other will be either a QB, LB or RB

Not a Steelers fan so I can't make a guarantee but that is my read from what I know/have seen of them
For rookies like McFarland and Dillon, the biggest risk is whether incumbents Conner and A Jones get new contracts. Would imagine Conner is more likely than Jones to accept a below-market deal. Is a Pittsburgh kid who was embraced by city during his cancer battle. Seeing his Instagram posts where he bought his Dad a truck and his Mom a house, hard to imagine him leaving the Steelers unless they really lowball him. Has deep roots in Pittsburgh.

While I like McFarland's talent, his fantasy ceiling seems to be Gio Bernard : a career backup who puts up good numbers in spot starts when starter is injured.

Dawg Pound 69 said:
For rookies like McFarland and Dillon, the biggest risk is whether incumbents Conner and A Jones get new contracts. Would imagine Conner is more likely than Jones to accept a below-market deal. Is a Pittsburgh kid who was embraced by city during his cancer battle. Seeing his Instagram posts where he bought his Dad a truck and his Mom a house, hard to imagine him leaving the Steelers unless they really lowball him. Has deep roots in Pittsburgh.

While I like McFarland's talent, his fantasy ceiling seems to be Gio Bernard : a career backup who puts up good numbers in spot starts when starter is injured.
Gio definately has performed when he has been needed, but he is more of a 3rd down back type on a bad offense. I don't know if McFarland is going to be primarily used in passing downs. When I think of McFarland's most likely outcome, I think it is more similar to late career CJ2K. A home run hitter out of the backfield, but not a lot of targets or goal line usage. ~200 touches possible if he translates to the NFL well.

Who to watch when you can't watch training camp: Chase Claypool, James Pierre and Anthony McFarland Jr.

Excerpt:

Make no mistake, Anthony McFarland, the team’s fourth-round draft choice, is no Dri Archer or Chris Rainey. He is a better inside runner than what you might think for a big-play running back who had runs of 52, 75 and 81 yards in a game against Ohio State last season. But get him on the corner and his 4.4 speed is evident. He is the perfect type of back for some of the misdirection plays the Steelers have installed.

Word is that McFarland was getting some run with the 1s in practice this week. 

My guess is he gets his first NFL touches this week against the Texans. With Snell looking to be in the doghouse with back-to-back weeks with fumbles, and Conner always being his next play away from being nicked up, not might be a bad guy to stash if you've got room. He has explosive abilities no one else in their backfield comes close to. I've got a few guys on IR at the moment (who doesn't?!) so I think I'm gonna stash him this weekend and see if he get some work. 

tbsteel said:
Word is that McFarland was getting some run with the 1s in practice this week. 

My guess is he gets his first NFL touches this week against the Texans. With Snell looking to be in the doghouse with back-to-back weeks with fumbles, and Conner always being his next play away from being nicked up, not might be a bad guy to stash if you've got room. He has explosive abilities no one else in their backfield comes close to. I've got a few guys on IR at the moment (who doesn't?!) so I think I'm gonna stash him this weekend and see if he get some work. 
Thank you for the info, given the rb market and the situation I’m definitely stashing.  He was pretty electric at maryland, watched him a lot,  not sure if his instincts to run inside and you can’t live forever bouncing it outside but he did light up osu doing that who have good athletes 

Anthony McFarland rushed six times for 42 yards in Pittsburgh's Week 3 win over the Texans.

McFarland notably got carries in the first half over Benny Snell (7/11), recording an explosive 20-yard gain behind Pittsburgh's (finally) healthy o-line. If anything, this performance puts McFarland on the map as a change-of-pace option if James Conner (18/109/1) were to get injured again. He's worth stashing in dynasty leagues.

Sep 27, 2020, 6:54 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread