What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nashville tornado (At least 19 dead) (1 Viewer)

Went to Nashville after Christmas a few years ago, had a lot of fun aside from almost freezing and my car breaking for a bit, I'd love to go back when it's warmer.

Had to suck.   Tornadoes are scary enough during the day but hitting at midnight would be really difficult.   

We have FFAers there, right? Hoping they and theirs are all ok.

Same goes for a batch of cousins of money.

Terrifying and sad business.

Checked with my dad this morning after I heard the news. He lives in the suburbs on the east side of the city. He said some nearby areas got walloped and everything looks a mess. Nashville seems to be tornado alley for a few years now.

Wtf is going on with my phone.

While I like the expression, I'm not sure what "cousins of money" is supposed to mean. mine. Mine, not money.
I read that and thought, "I must be getting old, because I don't understand that saying at all."  Hope your cousins of money are all safe, GB.

@MatthewCappucci: The #tornado that struck #Nashville lofted debris some 20,000 feet high – or more. 

That's likely commensurate with a tornado of EF3 strength or greater, with winds probably topping 140 mph. We'll await the official NWS survey. https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1234829320947982336/photo/1
Yeah, like I said in the other thread, looking at the size of that wedge, it looked like it was going to be a decent one.  Again, no expert, but EF3 or EF4 was my original thought.

I drove around downtown trying to get to the office. I gave up and went home after 30 minutes. 90 minutes in the car just to wind up back home.

Very close to us.  Immediate area a couple miles north has major damage.  Lucky to be safe.  
Lost power and not sure when they will get it back up as there are lines down everywhere and the path was near the substation.  Cell service spotty at our house. I came out to vote and get a cup of coffee .

We're safe where we are, went about half a mile from my house and tore through some businesses. No power at the moment, and the road is blocked so we're stuck in the house, but no real damage to my neighborhood. 

I would have made it in if I just stayed on the Interstate to my normal exit. Tried to use Waze to cut time and it ran me right down a street blocked by a giant af tree. From there it was chaos and frustration.

Luckily I can work remote.

Very close to us.  Immediate area a couple miles north has major damage.  Lucky to be safe.  
Lost power and not sure when they will get it back up as there are lines down everywhere and the path was near the substation.  Cell service spotty at our house. I came out to vote and get a cup of coffee .
Glad you guys are good 

Sad stuff

Hoping for the best for all the Nashville peeps.

I don't know the area very well but we're supposed to stop there on the way back from Georgia on Sunday/Monday nights. We're going to be in Brentwood. Is that area affected at all? Should we divert?

I don't know the area very well but we're supposed to stop there on the way back from Georgia on Sunday/Monday nights. We're going to be in Brentwood. Is that area affected at all? Should we divert?
Brentwood is fine.  Damage is mostly north of or along I40 and in the Germantown area near downtown

Should be fine. Brentwood is south of Nashville. The areas hit hardest were downtown, and then followed 40 east all the way past Cookeville. 

Yah, for sure. A ton of schools in Mt Juliet got demolished. West Wilson Middle, Stoner Creek Elementary and Mount Juliet Christian Academy are all within a half mile radius and pretty much destroyed. Couldn't imagine if those schools were full during the day. 
I sleep better at night not imagining stuff like that. I've seen news stories of schools getting hit by tornadoes, it's never good.

One thing I hope people take from this is that if there is a threat of storm overnight, leave the ringer on your phone on.  Don't silence it at night.  

Your phone will blare that siren when a tornado warning is issued for your area.  Having those extra seconds could mean the difference between life and death.  

Should be fine. Brentwood is south of Nashville. The areas hit hardest were downtown, and then followed 40 east all the way past Cookeville. 
Appreciate the info, thank you. I'm sorry to interject on the conversation. 

If there are any benefits or whatnot, please share as my wife and I will certainly contribute.

One thing I hope people take from this is that if there is a threat of storm overnight, leave the ringer on your phone on.  Don't silence it at night.  

Your phone will blare that siren when a tornado warning is issued for your area.  Having those extra seconds could mean the difference between life and death.  
This is pretty good advice. Whats crazy about this storm was, there wasn't really any heads up. When we went to bed, there wasn't even a tornado watch in effect. My dad woke me up around 1 because the sirens woke him up and he's West of me so it hit his area first. I was able to get my wife and kids downstairs before we lost power and cell service, not sure I would have had a warning if he hadn't called. We never heard sirens here, and then power/cell service was completely down. 

I think I'm going to get a radio of some kind, because until we got cell service back, and my Dad called to let me know it was past us at that point. We just sat in the dark, no clue where it was relative to us. 

Yeah. My phone apps are what woke me up.  Then heard the siren near by and checked the news and a weather follow on twitter.  If you have a local severe/wx guy they are great follows here in Nashville.  And that and local news streaming kept us informed.

This is pretty good advice. Whats crazy about this storm was, there wasn't really any heads up. When we went to bed, there wasn't even a tornado watch in effect. My dad woke me up around 1 because the sirens woke him up and he's West of me so it hit his area first. I was able to get my wife and kids downstairs before we lost power and cell service, not sure I would have had a warning if he hadn't called. We never heard sirens here, and then power/cell service was completely down. 

I think I'm going to get a radio of some kind, because until we got cell service back, and my Dad called to let me know it was past us at that point. We just sat in the dark, no clue where it was relative to us. 
I had a weather radio for a while (rechargeable kind). It was great til it crapped out.  May get another.  Make sure you find the ones you can program better or you will just get alerted for any county near you and even tstorm watches.  First one i had was a gift and basic and went off for everything.

Yeah.  I was mentioning in the other thread that there was a very small chance of tornadoes for that area, but nothing crazy.  Like, the slightest of slight.  Chances were much better in the Memphis area, actually.  

All that said, any storm can fire up a tornado, as we saw last night.  So for me, as a rule, any time storms or a front are scheduled to come in overnight, I make sure everyone has their phones off silence when they go to bed.  And to know exactly what to do if that phone alert goes off.  

People may already know this, but just a reminder:  A tornado watch is for a large area and means tornadoes are possible in the future.  A tornado warning is for a very small area and means a tornado has been spotted and that area is in immediate danger.  The phone alert will only go off for the warning.  So if you hear that warning alert go off, you know it means you are either in the path or very close to the path and you should take cover.

Seeing the damage is heartbreaking.  Glad everyone here is ok. 

Yeah.  I was mentioning in the other thread that there was a very small chance of tornadoes for that area, but nothing crazy.  Like, the slightest of slight.  Chances were much better in the Memphis area, actually.  

All that said, any storm can fire up a tornado, as we saw last night.  So for me, as a rule, any time storms or a front are scheduled to come in overnight, I make sure everyone has their phones off silence when they go to bed.  And to know exactly what to do if that phone alert goes off.  

People may already know this, but just a reminder:  A tornado watch is for a large area and means tornadoes are possible in the future.  A tornado warning is for a very small area and means a tornado has been spotted and that area is in immediate danger.  The phone alert will only go off for the warning.  So if you hear that warning alert go off, you know it means you are either in the path or very close to the path and you should take cover.

Seeing the damage is heartbreaking.  Glad everyone here is ok. 
Yup, that's really good advice. Our area, and some of the other areas had damage to the cell towers, which prevented a lot of people from getting the warnings or a heads up while they were sleeping.

It's amazing they were able to get service back up as quickly as they did. We had no cell service for about an hour. Which at the time sucked as we had no way if getting updates at all. 

Yup, that's really good advice. Our area, and some of the other areas had damage to the cell towers, which prevented a lot of people from getting the warnings or a heads up while they were sleeping.

It's amazing they were able to get service back up as quickly as they did. We had no cell service for about an hour. Which at the time sucked as we had no way if getting updates at all. 
Ours was fine until this morning thankfully.  Once power was out i was reliant on streaming news.  Had an old school radio ready if needed.

Just north of town. Everything fine here. Coworker lives in East Nashville and hit half mile from her house. 

My wife's family all lives in Baxter/Cookeville area, which is about an hour east of us, so we were able to give them a heads up last night. Putnum County is reporting 16 deaths now from that area alone :(

Excellent advice.

I'm normally a pretty light sleeper, so if the wind ever picks up I'm wide awake. But I usually turn off my ringers. I'll keep em on from now on. Good call. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.  Went to school at Tech so know a lot of people there and have seem awful pictures  of neighborhoods flattened 
Yup, that's where I graduated from, too. Luckily everyone we know in that area is safe. There's a tree that fell on top of my in-law's neighbor's house, but theirs took no damage. 

My son just moved there a week ago.  He's OK, but it was close.  Grocery store we went to to stock him up with food before we left had some damage (not sure if it was a touchdown there), but nearby Germantown got hit... maybe 3-4 miles away.

East side of Nashville took the brunt of it it looks like... my son is on the west.

Users who are viewing this thread