What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adult ADHD Diagnosis (1 Viewer)

caustic

Footballguy
Has anyone here gone through the process of ADHD screening as an adult? What's it like? If diagnosed, has medicine/treatment been effective? Noticeable side effects?

I've had trouble focusing for as long as I can remember. Always disorganized, scrambling to get things done at the last minute, etc. School was more difficult than it needed to be, but I made it through. Professional life has been a different beast, though. Despite my best efforts, I cannot seem to "lock in" and get things done like I should. I've had to work lots of evenings/weekends to make up for my poor productivity throughout the day. It's become a major source of frustration - I know my work performance could be much better if I could just focus on something for an extended period of time. I'm ready to talk to my doctor about this, but I have no idea what to expect. Any thoughts?

I was diagnosed in college like twenty years ago. At that time I tried every drug they offered. I didn't like the way they made me feel, so I decided to try something different. My new strategy was thar I made a routine where every day is the same in many ways. In other words I do little things at the same time and in the same order. This has helped me alot over the past twenty years.

Recently I heard there were some new drugs that worked better. The only one I have tried is Wellbutrin. I took it for a few months and it did seem to tighten up my focus in some ways. Surprisingly it kinda messed up my Keto diet, and also brought out extreme pain in my right shoulder where I didn't have pain before. I took it for a few months, and may get back on it again. Hopefully the shoulder pain isn't as bad. That was rough. Good luck, and feel free to ask or DM with any questions.

Following. As I have many of the same feelings / thoughts about productivity and lack thereof. I have little doubt that I’d get diagnosed if I pursued it but haven’t wanted to. It has affected my jobs at various times, but have managed it without medication and don’t want the medication. So I’m not entirely sure there’s anything to be done other than recognizing it at this point
Honestly, I suspect many would get diagnosed if they pursued it too.

Following. As I have many of the same feelings / thoughts about productivity and lack thereof. I have little doubt that I’d get diagnosed if I pursued it but haven’t wanted to. It has affected my jobs at various times, but have managed it without medication and don’t want the medication. So I’m not entirely sure there’s anything to be done other than recognizing it at this point
Honestly, I suspect many would get diagnosed if they pursued it too.
This is where I've been for most of my life. I've noticed the symptoms but done alright in spite of them, so I haven't bothered pursuing a diagnosis. Would rather not go on medication unless it's absolutely necessary. I think it's become untenable over the past year or two, though. Officially, my performance at work is still good - I'm meeting all my deadlines, bosses are happy with me, etc. - but the effort required to maintain that performance has become exorbitant.

With 2 kids that have it, have since learned/realized my wife absolutely has it. She's been able to function throughout her life without ever being diagnosed or treated, but looking back now, she realizes that it's there. She's able to do fine at work, but it affects her emotionally more than anything. In particular, she has a very hard time with distractions whenever she's trying to do simple tasks (send a text, getting things ready in the morning, etc) and it can set her off.

I've trialed having her take one of our kid's pills and it's a night and day difference how she's able to function. It really is incredible. That said, even on a low dose, it affects her ability to exercise so she's not interested in taking it on a regular basis. But, for example, we went away for a week on a trip with obviously lots of things going on, she took a dose each day while we were away, and it was the most peaceful/non-stressful trip we've ever taken.

As such, I hope she will approach this very issue next time she meets with her provider so she can get her own prescription and figure out what might or might not work. It's striking to see how much it can affect those with ADHD but also those around them and how they can interact.

With 2 kids that have it, have since learned/realized my wife absolutely has it. She's been able to function throughout her life without ever being diagnosed or treated, but looking back now, she realizes that it's there. She's able to do fine at work, but it affects her emotionally more than anything. In particular, she has a very hard time with distractions whenever she's trying to do simple tasks (send a text, getting things ready in the morning, etc) and it can set her off.

I've trialed having her take one of our kid's pills and it's a night and day difference how she's able to function. It really is incredible. That said, even on a low dose, it affects her ability to exercise so she's not interested in taking it on a regular basis. But, for example, we went away for a week on a trip with obviously lots of things going on, she took a dose each day while we were away, and it was the most peaceful/non-stressful trip we've ever taken.

As such, I hope she will approach this very issue next time she meets with her provider so she can get her own prescription and figure out what might or might not work. It's striking to see how much it can affect those with ADHD but also those around them and how they can interact.
I feel this. In my personal life I don't handle distractions very well either - not only are they unusually frustrating, but I get so absorbed by them that I'll often forget about my initial task. Results in a lot of unfinished business around the house (half loaded dishwasher, etc) and it'll sometimes take me a long time to complete basic tasks like getting ready for bed. In between washing my face and brushing my teeth I'll think about something else I need to get done, then another thing, then suddenly half an hour has gone by and I still haven't brushed my teeth. This is a daily occurrence.

Regarding the bolded, how does the medicine negatively impact exercise? That would definitely be a concern for me as well.

I feel this. In my personal life I don't handle distractions very well either - not only are they unusually frustrating, but I get so absorbed by them that I'll often forget about my initial task. Results in a lot of unfinished business around the house (half loaded dishwasher, etc) and it'll sometimes take me a long time to complete basic tasks like getting ready for bed. In between washing my face and brushing my teeth I'll think about something else I need to get done, then another thing, then suddenly half an hour has gone by and I still haven't brushed my teeth. This is a daily occurrence.

Regarding the bolded, how does the medicine negatively impact exercise? That would definitely be a concern for me as well.
She feels like her heart is beating out of her chest when she goes running. Now, to be fair, there are lots of different drugs and dosing options and we simply tried the low dose options we have here (that my youngest has already outgrown), both short and extended release. It can be managed if she was fully on board with taking it regularly.

But what you described is her, for sure. And those distractions get her emotionally upset. It's funny, when she takes it, despite it being a stimulant, it actually calms her down and she feels like everything slows down immensely. She can then get so much done and doesn't get bothered by stuff.

I tried one once and it did absolutely nothing for me other than feel like I had a cup of coffee.

I took dexadrine back in the day, and I stopped because it felt like my heart was beating fast also. The new drugs are not all stimulants. Like the Welbutrin I mentioned. It's actually an antidepressant which was great. @gianmarco

Obviously you know the drugs.

Very timely thread.

I made some calls last week but everyone wanted me to pay up first and then get reimbursed by my insurance later.

You can guess exactly how much progress I’ve made on that.

Thanks professionals!

I never thought I had ADHD. I had an episode a few years back with some really bad anxiety due to overthinking. Similar to some things that have been said about task completion, that’s also something I struggled with.

Externally, everyone always talks about how I have such a calm demeanor but internally my brain is thinking about 100 things at once. As someone mentioned, I’d start one thing and then an hour goes by and I’ve completed 10 other things without completing what I set out to do. I never really noticed it, and it honestly never really had a negative impact.

Where I was experiencing the majority of my issues was in social situations. I just could not shut my brain off and focus. During meetings, I was wondering what other people were thinking, thinking about tasks, and generally just spacing out.

I was prescribed generic Adderall years ago. I am extremely hesitant on getting addicted to things and what I put in my body. Caffeine helps me focus but it’s a nervous/jittery focus. I decided to try the low dose Adderall (10mgs). It was amazing. It was like a wave of calm washed over me. Locked in focus, extremely calm, zero overthinking. It was like taking Zen in the form of a tiny blue pill.

I still have a prescription but only take a pill if I need it. Usually about 1-2 times a week. I would take it every day because I feel like it makes me a better/happier human, but I don’t want to have to rely on a pill every day. I usually take a week or two break from it a few times a year. Also, it seems to really help me in regards to exercise. Unlike the feeling @gianmarco explained his wife was experiencing, I get the opposite feeling. It calms me down, and I love taking it before a long run.

I haven’t really researched the long term impacts of taking it on a daily basis. I guess I’m just scared of all the stories out there about people becoming addicted and abusing it.

Reading the replies - I think my wife might have it ...... She is always "overwhelmed" at work but at home she will have a list of tasks to do and rarely do they get done because she will start one, move on to the next one, go back to the first, bounce all around..... eventually they might get doen but she will forget what she started with. It may also explain why she can't tell a story or in my opinion have a "normal conversation" with me...... I can't remember the last time you started a thought and did not ramble on about a dozen different other things and never completing the original thought :unsure:

We share a lot of the same symptoms Caustic. Mine have seemed to increase in adulthood. I got away from the corporate life and I think that's made it easier but at times structure/constant deadlines would be helpful.

I've always been hesitant to take Adderral which just seems like pharmaceutical meth/amphetamine. The side effects and potential dependence scare me a bit. It surprised me how many of my former corporate colleagues were on this stuff and makes sense why they could work diligently and often burn the midnight oil while I was just stuck staring at a screen. Folks like Jshare87's experience do make me curious to finally go in for a diagnosis....Modafinil is another drug that I've heard works wonders but just seems too good to be true.

Has anyone here gone through the process of ADHD screening as an adult? What's it like? If diagnosed, has medicine/treatment been effective? Noticeable side effects?

I've had trouble focusing for as long as I can remember. Always disorganized, scrambling to get things done at the last minute, etc. School was more difficult than it needed to be, but I made it through. Professional life has been a different beast, though. Despite my best efforts, I cannot seem to "lock in" and get things done like I should. I've had to work lots of evenings/weekends to make up for my poor productivity throughout the day. It's become a major source of frustration - I know my work performance could be much better if I could just focus on something for an extended period of time. I'm ready to talk to my doctor about this, but I have no idea what to expect. Any thoughts?

I don't have it, but my husband does so I have seen first hand how it can affect a person. He had a lot of the same problems you do. His work life suffered severely because he got bored and distracted and his work would suffer or let go. We talked about going on the medication a few years ago, but he was totally against it. He said it made him feel weird and dulled everything down.

He has a few things now that seem to really help. He lifts weights a few times a week. Nothing crazy, but it seems to help. He also loves bowling and started coaching highschool bowling. Focusing on something he really enjoys has made work easier for him it also helps that it is during the winter. He hates winter and the short days and that is when he would have the most trouble. We take a lot of vacations. After about 4 months without one I can see the work days starting to wear on him and the days drag. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. Sometimes we just take a long weekend and go somewhere.

We talk about it a lot because I know how bad it is for him (he used to get very restless and depressed in the winter) and he knows what a pain he can become when it gets to be a problem. Keeping him busy on things that interest him help a ton.

I could go on and on, but I won't. If you want more ideas or information about our situation send me a PM. I would be glad to help.

Following. Both of my teenage kids have been diagnosed for ADHD in the last six months. The process of getting to that point with both of them has been eye opening.

I have always just lived my life as "a huge procrastinator" and "does his best work under pressure". Has never caused trouble with my job, but I know I could be better. And spend fewer late night hours getting ready for that next audit or project. Looking into seeing a doctor this week.

I was diagnosed about 12 years ago. Right before my diagnosis, my lack of time management, forgetfulness, procrastination, impulsivity and lack of filtering my words were becoming too much of an issue with 2 kids under 5 yrs old, and a 3rd on the way. Growing up with only my mother, I did great in school (thru high school). And since I got good grades, and being a latchkey kid, I didn't see my procrastination as a problem (mom wasn't around to keep me on track). I'd have weeks to complete a project or finish reading a required book, and I'd wait until 3-4 days until deadline, and I'd pull it together, and do great. I just got accustomed to operating that way. Then in college, the necessity of long study sessions hit me like a ton of bricks. I just couldn't focus and stay on task. My mindset was that I'm not looking to go to grad school, or pursue a career in medicine or law, so I only needed to do enough to get the diploma. So, again, I was able to work around, or make do with, my undiagnosed issues.

I am not an outwardly hyperactive person. I am pretty reserved and introverted. So I didn't think I had ADHD (or it never came up as me having it) because all of the other kids that I knew growing up that had it were bouncing off the walls, getting into trouble at school, etc.

Then, I got married, bought a house, had kids, and started having real adult responsibilities. And, I just couldn't handle it well. I wanted to drink and smoke, go out and socialize, make VBD spreadsheets for fantasy football, sit around and watch TV. It didn't occur to me that we needed to go to Target, then Safeway, clean the house, work in the yard, all while managing the sleep patterns of our babies. My undiagnosed issues were starting to pile up. My wife would recognize that I wasn't motivated or managing my time well, and tried to help by making schedules and To Do lists for me, but it still wasn't helping. However, I did and still do perform well at work. I have received promotions and accolades, and have been in the same industry with only two different employers for over 18 years. If I can do that, surely I'm not someone with ADHD.

So, after many "conversations" about my role/"performance" at home (You can do so well at work, yet at home it's a totally different story), we agreed that I would pursue a diagnosis.

And sure enough, I have adult ADHD. Yes, I don't think I have the "H" component, but I have come to learn that staying up late, really late, like 1-2am every night, was how the hyperactivity component that I didn't think I possessed displayed itself. I also fidget a lot. Nervous ticks like cracking my knuckles, adjusting my eyeglasses, moving one of my thumbs that is double-jointed, minor squirming while seated, adjusting my watch on my wrist, etc. Nothing overt, but constantly running in the background.

I was started on 5mg of Adderall XR. It worked well, as my wife and I both noticed a change in focus and motivation. I increased the dosage because I wanted to get even better results. Eventually, I think I made it up to 20mg (maybe it was 15mg). Then, we started to notice that I was having "rage" issues. Whenever we'd get into arguments, or I was confronted about something I was supposed to have done but didn't, I would respond by being defensive and rude, deflecting the attention, blaming my wife, raising my voice, slamming things like drawers and doors. So, I stopped Adderall XR and moved to Concerta (also in the stimulant family). It was ok with respects to focus, but gave me terrible headaches. My next "magic" pill was Strattera (it is a non-stimulant). I was also prescribed Wellbutrin because I was showing symptoms of mild depression (it's also supposed to help with focus, and is ok to pair with Strattera). The two worked ok for focus, but to a lesser extent than the results I was getting from either Adderall XR or Concerta. So, I stopped all ADHD meds for a while (stayed on Wellbutrin). I have started taking Vyvanse along with Wellbutrin. They are both working well, but I'm still feeling like they're not the "cocktail" of pills that are just right for me. But, I'll stay on them, because a medicated me is better than unmedicated.

Twelve years later, I still need To Do lists that are prioritized and time-allotted. I still procrastinate and display all of the symptoms that I displayed before... just to a lesser extent.

My next battle is to combat my narcissicistic tendencies. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Have you tried Adderall?

Have you tried Adderall?
I have not, but I'm headed to the doctor on Thursday and plan to discuss a prescription for it or some equivalent drug.

I truly appreciate all the thoughtful responses and offers to help. A lot of stories that sounded just like mine. Once I (hopefully) begin treatment soon, I'll be sure to post updates as I go long.

Talked to the doctor and was officially diagnosed with ADHD. I got a prescription for Concerta, 27* mg - had never heard of this before, but it appears to have the same active ingredient as Ritalin. Doctor wanted to try something other than Adderall because of the national shortage. My insurance is giving me a hard time about the Concerta prescription though, so maybe Adderall would've been easier to get after all. :lol: Glad to have finally gotten a diagnosis at least - probably something I could have (or should have) done years ago.

Last edited:

I'll share because I know as an adult I can get offtrack.

If I am busy with things I enjoy in life like immediate family, friends, tennis, figuring out my ROI form anything I am involved in, don't seem to fog out or have ADHD
But if you put me in other areas/walks of life or I have too much time on my hands, I can get bored very easily and people will say I'm not paying attention or have ADHD so be very careful who diagnosis you.

-I heard Michael Irvin talk about his ability to get off track quickly so he mostly fills his schedule up with things that keep him busy and around his family and friends.
His family was not with him when he was the Marriott or whichever hotel he was that got him kicked off the Super Bowl last year and also suspended for a while.
Irvin rightfully has cleared things up but you leave him alone and these things for whatever reason tend to pop up

What I'm saying to you on another vertical is mental health and ADHD, make sure you do everything in your power to tackle it internally because once the doctors put you on drugs...
I went on one for a week and my wife flushed them down the toilet, it was impacting my personality and she did not like it.

Be very carful going down this road, try not to feel like a victim or feel the need to lean only on the doctors.
-One other thing that was pointed out to me and I believe in, WHAT ARE YOU EATING?
Sugar is cocaine and it does incredibly wild things to the human body and the human mind

Last edited:
Talked to the doctor and was officially diagnosed with ADHD. I got a prescription for Concerta, 24 mg - had never heard of this before, but it appears to have the same active ingredient as Ritalin. Doctor wanted to try something other than Adderall because of the national shortage. My insurance is giving me a hard time about the Concerta prescription though, so maybe Adderall would've been easier to get after all. :lol: Glad to have finally gotten a diagnosis at least - probably something I could have (or should have) done years ago.
Just get the generic (methylphenidate extended release). And, it should be 27mg, but I'm assuming you just typed it incorrectly.

I've been on Adderall for a couple years now.

Shortly after I met my wife, a doctor suggested she might have ADHD. She looked at the symptoms and they didn't really match her but totally described me. She brought this up and I kinda laughed and said yeah, that's me alright, but what can you do? Well, you can take drugs. I was resistant to this at first, but eventually I brought it up to my doctor and was prescribed Adderall. I was taking a 15 mg extended release for a while, but because of the shortage it's now a 10 mg immediate release and I take a full pill early in the day and half in the evening.

It's been mostly positive. Definitely helps my focus and mood regulation and generally I'm happier than before. The hard part has been harnessing that focus. I used to get distracted all the time during work but it wasn't a big deal because I couldn't focus on the distraction for long anyway. Now I can get sucked in to something else for hours at a time if I'm not careful.

I wish I had been diagnosed much earlier. I was always really good at math and started as a statistics major in college but didn't have the focus for high-level math classes. Ended up as a high school sports writer, which made sense for me at the time, but my Adderall brain just feels built for number-crunching. Not sure what to do next in terms of career.

Overall though I'd say the pros outweigh the cons.

Isnt adderall just like a low dosage coke? IIRC, tried one a long time ago. I was focused but I got the slight jaw clench like coke.

I have an addictive personality and I worry about adding drugs back into my life.

I was diagnosed about 12 years ago. Right before my diagnosis, my lack of time management, forgetfulness, procrastination, impulsivity and lack of filtering my words were becoming too much of an issue with 2 kids under 5 yrs old, and a 3rd on the way. Growing up with only my mother, I did great in school (thru high school). And since I got good grades, and being a latchkey kid, I didn't see my procrastination as a problem (mom wasn't around to keep me on track). I'd have weeks to complete a project or finish reading a required book, and I'd wait until 3-4 days until deadline, and I'd pull it together, and do great. I just got accustomed to operating that way. Then in college, the necessity of long study sessions hit me like a ton of bricks. I just couldn't focus and stay on task. My mindset was that I'm not looking to go to grad school, or pursue a career in medicine or law, so I only needed to do enough to get the diploma. So, again, I was able to work around, or make do with, my undiagnosed issues.

I am not an outwardly hyperactive person. I am pretty reserved and introverted. So I didn't think I had ADHD (or it never came up as me having it) because all of the other kids that I knew growing up that had it were bouncing off the walls, getting into trouble at school, etc.

Then, I got married, bought a house, had kids, and started having real adult responsibilities. And, I just couldn't handle it well. I wanted to drink and smoke, go out and socialize, make VBD spreadsheets for fantasy football, sit around and watch TV. It didn't occur to me that we needed to go to Target, then Safeway, clean the house, work in the yard, all while managing the sleep patterns of our babies. My undiagnosed issues were starting to pile up. My wife would recognize that I wasn't motivated or managing my time well, and tried to help by making schedules and To Do lists for me, but it still wasn't helping. However, I did and still do perform well at work. I have received promotions and accolades, and have been in the same industry with only two different employers for over 18 years. If I can do that, surely I'm not someone with ADHD.

So, after many "conversations" about my role/"performance" at home (You can do so well at work, yet at home it's a totally different story), we agreed that I would pursue a diagnosis.

And sure enough, I have adult ADHD. Yes, I don't think I have the "H" component, but I have come to learn that staying up late, really late, like 1-2am every night, was how the hyperactivity component that I didn't think I possessed displayed itself. I also fidget a lot. Nervous ticks like cracking my knuckles, adjusting my eyeglasses, moving one of my thumbs that is double-jointed, minor squirming while seated, adjusting my watch on my wrist, etc. Nothing overt, but constantly running in the background.

I was started on 5mg of Adderall XR. It worked well, as my wife and I both noticed a change in focus and motivation. I increased the dosage because I wanted to get even better results. Eventually, I think I made it up to 20mg (maybe it was 15mg). Then, we started to notice that I was having "rage" issues. Whenever we'd get into arguments, or I was confronted about something I was supposed to have done but didn't, I would respond by being defensive and rude, deflecting the attention, blaming my wife, raising my voice, slamming things like drawers and doors. So, I stopped Adderall XR and moved to Concerta (also in the stimulant family). It was ok with respects to focus, but gave me terrible headaches. My next "magic" pill was Strattera (it is a non-stimulant). I was also prescribed Wellbutrin because I was showing symptoms of mild depression (it's also supposed to help with focus, and is ok to pair with Strattera). The two worked ok for focus, but to a lesser extent than the results I was getting from either Adderall XR or Concerta. So, I stopped all ADHD meds for a while (stayed on Wellbutrin). I have started taking Vyvanse along with Wellbutrin. They are both working well, but I'm still feeling like they're not the "cocktail" of pills that are just right for me. But, I'll stay on them, because a medicated me is better than unmedicated.

Twelve years later, I still need To Do lists that are prioritized and time-allotted. I still procrastinate and display all of the symptoms that I displayed before... just to a lesser extent.

My next battle is to combat my narcissicistic tendencies. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

WOW this reads like my whole life. well, except for the diagnosis.

She feels like her heart is beating out of her chest when she goes running. Now, to be fair, there are lots of different drugs and dosing options and we simply tried the low dose options we have here (that my youngest has already outgrown), both short and extended release. It can be managed if she was fully on board with taking it regularly.
I was about to say that's weird because I never had problems like that, but then I realized I don't run on Adderall. I have an evening job and I always run shortly after waking up, then take my pill when I get back. Obviously that isn't going to work for everybody. Something I'll have to think about if I ever have a 9-to-5 job.

I've been on Adderall for a couple years now.

Shortly after I met my wife, a doctor suggested she might have ADHD. She looked at the symptoms and they didn't really match her but totally described me. She brought this up and I kinda laughed and said yeah, that's me alright, but what can you do? Well, you can take drugs. I was resistant to this at first, but eventually I brought it up to my doctor and was prescribed Adderall. I was taking a 15 mg extended release for a while, but because of the shortage it's now a 10 mg immediate release and I take a full pill early in the day and half in the evening.

It's been mostly positive. Definitely helps my focus and mood regulation and generally I'm happier than before. The hard part has been harnessing that focus. I used to get distracted all the time during work but it wasn't a big deal because I couldn't focus on the distraction for long anyway. Now I can get sucked in to something else for hours at a time if I'm not careful.

I wish I had been diagnosed much earlier. I was always really good at math and started as a statistics major in college but didn't have the focus for high-level math classes. Ended up as a high school sports writer, which made sense for me at the time, but my Adderall brain just feels built for number-crunching. Not sure what to do next in terms of career.

Overall though I'd say the pros outweigh the cons.
Apparently it helps with fantasy baseball....never would have guessed. 😉

Isnt adderall just like a low dosage coke? IIRC, tried one a long time ago. I was focused but I got the slight jaw clench like coke.

I have an addictive personality and I worry about adding drugs back into my life.
People react very differently to different drugs. No one treatment works for everyone. And Adderall and cocaine aren't the same.

I should have been more clear, it felt like low dose cocaine- from that perspective I worry.

I also know people abuse the **** out of adderall. I can’t risk that.

Talked to the doctor and was officially diagnosed with ADHD. I got a prescription for Concerta, 27* mg - had never heard of this before, but it appears to have the same active ingredient as Ritalin. Doctor wanted to try something other than Adderall because of the national shortage. My insurance is giving me a hard time about the Concerta prescription though, so maybe Adderall would've been easier to get after all. :lol: Glad to have finally gotten a diagnosis at least - probably something I could have (or should have) done years ago.
Not sure I would start taking this until after your race. Just from the theory of don’t introduce anything new to your body on race day that you aren’t used to.

But it may be ok to do that. Just thinking if there are any side effects to that med that may affect you on race day.

I don't have it, but my husband does so I have seen first hand how it can affect a person. He had a lot of the same problems you do. His work life suffered severely because he got bored and distracted and his work would suffer or let go. We talked about going on the medication a few years ago, but he was totally against it. He said it made him feel weird and dulled everything down.

He has a few things now that seem to really help. He lifts weights a few times a week. Nothing crazy, but it seems to help. He also loves bowling and started coaching highschool bowling. Focusing on something he really enjoys has made work easier for him it also helps that it is during the winter. He hates winter and the short days and that is when he would have the most trouble. We take a lot of vacations. After about 4 months without one I can see the work days starting to wear on him and the days drag. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. Sometimes we just take a long weekend and go somewhere.

We talk about it a lot because I know how bad it is for him (he used to get very restless and depressed in the winter) and he knows what a pain he can become when it gets to be a problem. Keeping him busy on things that interest him help a ton.

I could go on and on, but I won't. If you want more ideas or information about our situation send me a PM. I would be glad to help.
@caustic
This is a much better explanation than I shared but there's a theme here of keeping busy, that's why i mentioned Michael Irvin,
Do what is best for you, everyone is different.

Some observations after my first few weeks on Concerta:

There have been really good days and really bad days. On the good days, I'm a machine - knocking out work projects left and right, super organized, calm, locked in. Other days, I have a nasty crash in the afternoon and become wildly depressed, weak, shaky, and fatigued. I think some of this is connected to food & water intake. The medicine really dehydrates me and suppresses my appetite, so I have to consciously remind myself to eat/drink. If I don't do a good job of this, the more likely I am to crash. This has been a daily battle.

There's been a significant effect on heart rate. I've occasionally been experiencing mild chest tightness/discomfort, and overall my heart just "feels" like it's working harder than it should. My resting heart rate has increased by 10 bpm and my HR variability has declined significantly. My HR while running is also much higher than before - this effect isn't quite so bad if I run prior to taking it in the morning, but even then it's noticeable. This has made running less enjoyable and has negatively impacted my desire to exercise.

It seems to keep me up later at night. I really have to force myself to go to bed, otherwise it won't happen. On average, I've been sleeping about 1 hour/night less than before.

Overall, I think the costs to my physical health are outweighing the productivity benefits. I may be killing it at work, but I’m sleeping less, exercising less, and not eating/drinking enough. When I follow up with the doctor next week, I plan to ask about lowering my dose or trying a different medicine altogether. Would love it if I could find something that provides similar benefits but with a smaller side effect burden.

There have been really good days and really bad days. On the good days, I'm a machine - knocking out work projects left and right, super organized, calm, locked in. Other days, I have a nasty crash in the afternoon and become wildly depressed, weak, shaky, and fatigued. I think some of this is connected to food & water intake. The medicine really dehydrates me and suppresses my appetite, so I have to consciously remind myself to eat/drink. If I don't do a good job of this, the more likely I am to crash. This has been a daily battle.

There's been a significant effect on heart rate. I've occasionally been experiencing mild chest tightness/discomfort, and overall my heart just "feels" like it's working harder than it should. My resting heart rate has increased by 10 bpm and my HR variability has declined significantly. My HR while running is also much higher than before - this effect isn't quite so bad if I run prior to taking it in the morning, but even then it's noticeable. This has made running less enjoyable and has negatively impacted my desire to exercise.

It seems to keep me up later at night. I really have to force myself to go to bed, otherwise it won't happen. On average, I've been sleeping about 1 hour/night less than before.

Overall, I think the costs to my physical health are outweighing the productivity benefits. I may be killing it at work, but I’m sleeping less, exercising less, and not eating/drinking enough. When I follow up with the doctor next week, I plan to ask about lowering my dose or trying a different medicine altogether. Would love it if I could find something that provides similar benefits but with a smaller side effect burden.

Obviously consult with your doctor first, but I think your assumptions are correct.

Now you can understand what I mentioned above about the exercise intolerance and heart feelings. My son had the same. My daughter doesn't. So, it's different for different people.

Either a lower dose or a different med are in order. Good luck and keep us updated.

@caustic THANK YOU for the thread. It motivated me to get an appointment set up for next Thursday.

Update:
I went to a few sessions but didn’t really come away with anything and wasn’t enamored with the therapist.

I just called and emailed two others who specialize in diagnosis - i’m starting to strongly believe that I have autism and not ADD/ADHD.

ETA - this isnt a hey look at me post, but more of an attempt to inspire others to get treatment for themselves.

Maybe cut them in half?

I started reading this thread about 3 hours ago. I made it about half way through in 3 separate sittings. In the interim, I typed a 4 sentence support ticket for some software (2 sittings), half packed up a laptop for return, got about 30% of a spreadsheet done for a client that should have taken about 30 minutes (3 sittings), made coffee that I forgot about, played street fighter (4 matches, 3 sittings), copied some photos off an SD card to my computer, read a couple other FFA threads, made about 25% of the adjustments to an Airbnb listing I was working on (2 sittings), sent a text I've been meaning to send, got a call from my mom (on the phone w/ her right now as I type this) because I forgot to respond to her text, categorized a small handful of transactions for my business in quickbooks, paid 1 out of 3 orkin bills for my rental properties, and I don't even know, probably 10 other things.

I've completed none of them, other than the 4 sentence support ticket, which took 2 tries. This spreadsheet is simple, but will probably drag on for days.

Like @caustic I get all of my work done and do well, but I'm ALWAYS working because I'm not productive during the day. Nights, weekends, always. If I watch a movie, I've got the laptop out catching up on work while I watch. If I play videogames I'm categorizing transactions while I wait to respond. It wasn't terrible when I was salaried and work was gone when I went home, but now that I run my own business it feels like there's always something to do.

In fact, I need to stop talking to you jokers and get back to it so I can enjoy the weekend.

See ya in about 10 minutes.

@caustic THANK YOU for the thread. It motivated me to get an appointment set up for next Thursday.

Update:
I went to a few sessions but didn’t really come away with anything and wasn’t enamored with the therapist.

I just called and emailed two others who specialize in diagnosis - i’m starting to strongly believe that I have autism and not ADD/ADHD.

ETA - this isnt a hey look at me post, but more of an attempt to inspire others to get treatment for themselves.
Absolutely, share whatever you want! I started the thread to learn how others have pursued solutions for this. Personally, I didn't find therapy alone to be particularly useful either. My therapist recommended a lot of focus techniques that I'd already tried - those techniques were helpful on the margin but didn't really fix the core issue. Hopefully you can land on a diagnosis and treatment strategy that works for you.

Re: splitting Concerta, I believe that would've made the swings/crashes even more extreme. The active ingredient is contained in a slow-release shell, so damaging or breaking that capsule would lead to all of it hitting my system at once. Thankfully, this is no longer an issue as my doctor switched me to Adderall XR 15 mg. I've only been on it for 10 days, but so far it's much better. None of the crashes, dehydration, chest pain, or tingling extremities that I was experiencing on Concerta. Work is actually enjoyable now that I can perform at the level I know I'm capable of. I just sailed through the most stressful week of the year, receiving compliments from my supervisors about my strong performance. I also found the time to clean out & organize my whole office, something I'd been putting off for months.

The medicine itself isn't a panacea, though - the laser focus it gives me is a double edged sword. It's just as easy to lock in on the wrong thing than the right one. I still need to use the focus techniques from before, such as putting my phone at the other end of the room, or I'll spend an hour and a half reading The Athletic without realizing it. I'm also still experiencing significant appetite suppression and heart rate elevation on the Adderall, but I'll take two side effects instead of seven. IMO the benefits are now outweighing the costs, and I'm hoping it stays this way.

So much to unwrap here, I stopped posting in this thread because I felt like I said enough in my opener but this post is much appreciated
I'm going to read further along because I want to be open minded but this does not sound like a positive my friend.

Last edited:
I started reading this thread about 3 hours ago. I made it about half way through in 3 separate sittings. In the interim, I typed a 4 sentence support ticket for some software (2 sittings), half packed up a laptop for return, got about 30% of a spreadsheet done for a client that should have taken about 30 minutes (3 sittings), made coffee that I forgot about, played street fighter (4 matches, 3 sittings), copied some photos off an SD card to my computer, read a couple other FFA threads, made about 25% of the adjustments to an Airbnb listing I was working on (2 sittings), sent a text I've been meaning to send, got a call from my mom (on the phone w/ her right now as I type this) because I forgot to respond to her text, categorized a small handful of transactions for my business in quickbooks, paid 1 out of 3 orkin bills for my rental properties, and I don't even know, probably 10 other things.

I've completed none of them, other than the 4 sentence support ticket, which took 2 tries. This spreadsheet is simple, but will probably drag on for days.

Like @caustic I get all of my work done and do well, but I'm ALWAYS working because I'm not productive during the day. Nights, weekends, always. If I watch a movie, I've got the laptop out catching up on work while I watch. If I play videogames I'm categorizing transactions while I wait to respond. It wasn't terrible when I was salaried and work was gone when I went home, but now that I run my own business it feels like there's always something to do.

In fact, I need to stop talking to you jokers and get back to it so I can enjoy the weekend.

See ya in about 10 minutes.
I understand how you feel but it's hard to verbalize, I also get off track a lot or out in left field while I'm trying to accomplish things.
-I've always done well in the final hours of most deadlines, always crammed for the test in school, etc...

Last edited:

Update:

What are the signs you see that make you think you are on the spectrum?

Update:

Ive always felt different than everyone else.

Socially I can mask but its incredibly hard.

Hard to make and keep friends

Mostly want to/prefer be on my own

Incredibly blunt or "rude". I call it being down to earth or honest but others do not see it that way

Difficult to judge others sincerity.

I notice things others dont seem to

Im not a pessimist but I see the flaws in EVERYTHING. I should be a companies go to for critique - its a super trait of mine.

Odd topics of interest that I get obsessed with WWII, Apple Computers (from 1979), pre-merger NFL stats, rosters, teams,players.

Incredibly sensitive to smells

I dont like to be touched

Not making eye contact

Excessive fears, worries, thoughts. I think about things that have happened, Ive said or to others, even years, even decades later.

I blurt out comments

Talk over people

I just feel different than everyone else and I have never understood why. Others seem to grasp things as if theyre obvious but I kinda pretend to.

People will thank me or give me a compliment and its almost off putting.

Example of something/situation that happened in 2001 - I was at a party at a friends house, he wasnt there but his roommate was. This was our friend group thats why I went. The roommate kept saying and talking crap about my friend, his roommate/owner of the house so I got upset and left. I just came to the conclusion that he was joking about the insults because theyre still friends. (Im still not 100% sure but it only makes sense, right?)

There are just some of the reasons I suspect.

Update:

Incredibly blunt or "rude". I call it being down to earth or honest but others do not see it that way

Im not a pessimist but I see the flaws in EVERYTHING. I should be a companies go to for critique - its a super trait of mine.

Odd topics of interest that I get obsessed with WWII, Apple Computers (from 1979), pre-merger NFL stats, rosters, teams,players.

Not making eye contact

Excessive fears, worries, thoughts. I think about things that have happened, Ive said or to others, even years, even decades later.

I blurt out comments

Talk over people

I just feel different than everyone else and I have never understood why. Others seem to grasp things as if theyre obvious but I kinda pretend to.

Example of something/situation that happened in 2001 - I was at a party at a friends house, he wasnt there but his roommate was. This was our friend group thats why I went. The roommate kept saying and talking crap about my friend, his roommate/owner of the house so I got upset and left. I just came to the conclusion that he was joking about the insults because theyre still friends. (Im still not 100% sure but it only makes sense, right?)

Are your parents still alive. If so, have you ever asked them about your early childhood? Was your speech delayed? Did you not babble? Did you show interest as a baby in other people? Unusual eating and sleeping habits? Repetitive movements? There's a whole bunch of early developmental things can also help diagnose if your parents can remember and are willing to complete a checklist. If you see someone who specializes ASD or diagnosis, it should be pretty easy to get evaluated. Though that won't really solve anything. There's therapy and lots of strategies that one can use to try to improve certain areas. I guess the more important question than are you on the spectrum is what about yourself would you like to change?

Also your story about leaving because someone is making fun of your friend doesn't seem all that odd to me. Seems like a very normal reaction to that situation.

I am on the spectrum and most of what you say apply to me. Plus delayed speech and still have a speech impediment, sensory overload on noise and foods, that there is a very limited types of foods I can tolerate - my mother said she had a very hard time finding something I could eat.

I did find it difficult to get an adult diagnosis as many specialists in the ASD field deal only with children.

Update:

Not making eye contact

I blurt out comments

Talk over people

Are your parents still alive. If so, have you ever asked them about your early childhood? Was your speech delayed? Did you not babble? Did you show interest as a baby in other people? Unusual eating and sleeping habits? Repetitive movements? There's a whole bunch of early developmental things can also help diagnose if your parents can remember and are willing to complete a checklist. If you see someone who specializes ASD or diagnosis, it should be pretty easy to get evaluated. Though that won't really solve anything. There's therapy and lots of strategies that one can use to try to improve certain areas. I guess the more important question than are you on the spectrum is what about yourself would you like to change?

Also your story about leaving because someone is making fun of your friend doesn't seem all that odd to me. Seems like a very normal reaction to that situation.

It wast that I left, it’s that to this day I still don’t know if he was serious or not. I think he might have been joking, I dont really know.

Update:

Not making eye contact

I blurt out comments

Talk over people

It wast that I left, it’s that to this day I still don’t know if he was serious or not. I think he might have been joking, I dont really know.
I guess I don't see how that is abnormal though. I've had conversations with people where I walked away unsure how serious they were about what they said. We all don't have the ability to perfectly read the intentions and motivations of other people. I am sure everyone has misread situations where we thought someone was kidding but they were serious or vice versa.

Update:

Not making eye contact

I blurt out comments

Talk over people

I guess I don't see how that is abnormal though. I've had conversations with people where I walked away unsure how serious they were about what they said. We all don't have the ability to perfectly read the intentions and motivations of other people. I am sure everyone has misread situations where we thought someone was kidding but they were serious or vice versa.

:shrug:

You asked, I answered. I gave you 17 examples and you chose one that you seem to mildly disagree with or don’t understand.

I don’t know how to convey to you what I mean and I’m too exhausted to try.

Users who are viewing this thread