What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corona Virus Serious Level - 3.6.20 (1 Viewer)

For you and where you live, on a scale of 1 (not serious) to 10 (most serious) How Serious Do You Th

• 1. Not Serious At All. Barely a news blip that'll be gone in a few days.

Votes: 8 3.0%

Votes: 22 8.2%

Votes: 38 14.1%

Votes: 41 15.2%

Votes: 40 14.9%

Votes: 41 15.2%

Votes: 50 18.6%

Votes: 18 6.7%

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • 10 Most Serious. Like being attacked in an all out WW3 type thing.

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
A Podcast I like a lot is Cheddar's Need to Know.  They're pretty unbiased and it's a 10 minute morning summary of the news. 

The host today said she thought the Coronavirus was the most important story she's ever covered as a journalist. That had me thinking about how so many folks seem to have widely different opinions on how serious they believe the Coronavirus to be.

So like I often do, I thought I'd ask the forum to see what you thought.

For you and where you live, on a scale of 1 (not serious) to 10 (most serious) How Serious Do You Think The Coronavirus Is?

1 being this is nothing to worry about at all and it's just a tiny blip in the news and will be a non story in a few days.

10 being the most serious thing to happen in your lifetime. Like being attacked in an all out WW3 type thing.

Also note, I qualified with where you live. Obviously it's different right now in China than it is in other places. 

I'd love to see your ranking and why you rank it there. And please, let's do more supporting what you think and less telling other people their wrong. I'll do one in both the Free For All and the Political Forum. Especially in the FFA, don't turn it political. 

I may do one of these on the next few Fridays to get a sense for how it's trending.

Thanks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
is the scale linear or logarithmic?  😉

5 seems about right.  certainly serious for the elderly.  impact on the economy alone makes it a 3 or 4.

Voted 8. Suffolk County, NY. It's going to have a major societal impact, even though the risk to any one individual may be low (depending on age, co-morbidities, exposure to public, etc.) 

Regardless of how deadly and long-lasting one thinks the virus will be, the effect it's having on markets and economies should rate it at least a 3 or a 4 in my opinion.  I went with 6.

I made it a 3. I live in Ohio which seems to be out of the fray, for now. Although I imagine we all will be exposed at some point, I am not sure that this is worse than the seasonal Flu. Seasonal flu already closed some of the schools around here as half the kids were out sick etc. and things returned to normal within a couple of weeks, at least locally.  Maybe I am under-reacting and not worried enough but that is how I currently view it. 

I made it a 3. I live in Ohio which seems to be out of the fray, for now. Although I imagine we all will be exposed at some point, I am not sure that this is worse than the seasonal Flu. Seasonal flu already closed some of the schools around here as half the kids were out sick etc. and things returned to normal within a couple of weeks, at least locally.  Maybe I am under-reacting and not worried enough but that is how I currently view it. 
Gave it a 4 based on it's impact on the markets but this is pretty much where I stand.

How can it be a 1, 2 or 3.?   Most experts agree that the fatality numbers that the Chinese are reporting are most likely criminally low, the supply chain and economic issues that it has already caused globally already put it past those levels.  I understand that some people still try to be dismissive about this virus—but it’s already an easy 4-5 humanitarily and economically in my opinion.  

Voted 6. Long Island NY, and work in Manhattan. 

I’ve really struggled with this. There is so much news and data and so many wildly opposing viewpoints even from seeming experts.  I can’t tell whether this is just a yawn and huge overreaction, or whether this is going to be a huge deal for many months that ends up being a world changing event. Just don’t know what to make of it.

I will say though that I am becoming increasingly concerned about it in light of the way that many corporations and governments are responding. They seem to think it’s a big deal. And maybe that’s a good indicator?

I just don’t know what to believe. 

It's just another virus like all the others that have been around.  This isn't like the movie Outbreak.
If that’s true then why are so many sophisticated corporations and world governments seemingly freaking out?  They just getting it wrong?  Buying into groupthink?

if i didnt see others bringing it up constantly i wouldnt even think about it.  1- 2 for me
Same here.  Can't go an hour without seeing or hearing a reference towards it.  As soon as someone coughs or sneezes someone makes a joke about it.

voted 5

Im not too concerned but it does feel like a dread that is hanging over everything...

will I get sick? will the markets improve? will vacation plans be ruined? will schools be closed? will I run out of tp?

It just adds another stress level to everything. The funny thing is the getting sick part is the least of my worries

Also Ohio. Sounds like Angry and I are in similar areas, just on opposite sides of Cleveland. While it is not an issue here yet I went with 6 for a couple of reasons... I think it is only a matter of time until it shows up around here, I'm concerned with the potential logistics supply interruptions and economic factors if it keeps expanding, and most importantly,  I'm a bit of a germaphob so I've been short circuiting internally a bit with all the news. 🤧

I'm not worried too much from a health impact.  I'm getting very worried from an economic impact.  I have almost all of my money tied up into various stock ETFs and this is becoming worrisome.

This is a hard question to answer.  Do I take into account the inevitable disruption caused by Coronavirus to school, work, commercial enterprise, stock market, etc. into account?  Or are you simply asking for seriousness as a public health issue?

This is a hard question to answer.  Do I take into account the inevitable disruption caused by Coronavirus to school, work, commercial enterprise, stock market, etc. into account?
 I think you’d have to take those things into account—as they are linked together.  One can’t just ignore the economic, supply chain and other collateral damage that the virus has and can cause.  That’s just my 2 cents. 

For me personally, 1, but I don't think it'll be a few days. For my mom who lives 10 minutes from the motel in Kent King County bought to house 80 cv pts, I'm at 7 for her. She's alone and tries to stay in. 2 deaths in Kent has her staying in more.

I voted 6, and honestly I have no idea if that's overblown or taking it lightly.  When it first came out, it was only in China, and my thoughts were no more than "it's the next avian/swine/sars, it's not in my backyard so what do I care?".  Thats a crass thought, but it was my honest reaction.  Once it started showing up in the US, I started to pay attention a bit more.  Now that it's in several different states, I'm listening, but it's still at the point of information overload. Reports are varying, different media outlets hype it to different levels, and the average citizen is left to decide for themselves what precautions to take.  I've seen people stocking up at the grocery stores, the cleaning supplies aisle at my local Walmart is COMPLETELY bare, and you can't find a bottle of hand sanitizer to buy anywhere. 

From a health standpoint of me, myself, I'm at a 2.  I'm not old, not in bad health, if I get it somehow I'm not worried at all.  But I have a daughter with moderate asthma and who is immunosuppressed, and she catches every cold.  So all my attention would be on keeping her from getting it because who the heck knows what it would do to her

I'm calling it a 7.  I believe this virus, and more specifically the governmental response, will be the key issue in the 2020 election.  I expect some fairly significant societal uphevals, some of which we have already seen.  Conventions being canceled, sporting events (in Italy, specifically) being played in front of empty stadiums, etc. 

Beyond that, this will have a fairly dramatic effect on the economy.  Travel industry will be decimated, along with secondary effects (i.e. local restaraunts won't sell to travelers, etc).  Other industries I expect to eventually take a hit are entertainment (will we be going to movie theaters this summer?  concerts?), and insurance (if there are massive cases of people needing ICU care, things are going to get expensive).  That is all above and beyond international trade.

If this thing has the same exponential growth in the US it has had in places like China, Italy, and Iran, it's going to be a really big deal.  I think it slows down in the summer, but comes back next fall - just in time for elections.  That's when it is really going to get nuts.

I'm also concerned that some bad actor takes advantage of the situation and does some terrorism.  I know - it's straight from a Tom Clancy book, but some random bomb would be devistating to our confidence once this thing is in full bloom.

4. The impact in China on the supply chain causing the biggest impact in the US. I see this as more of an economic impact than health impact

Went 6.   I'm in the Puget Sound area, so there's lot going on here.  UW just cancelled all in person classes.  Most of my meetings for work are being rescheduled or switched to conference calls.   My law partner and his wife are sick, and were exposed through her son that goes to nursing school and had 15 classmates that interned at the long-term care facility where 9 people died.  They have asked to be tested and have been refused.   My parents are elderly, so I'm worried about their health.   

So I'm seeing immediate impact on my life, personally and professionally.   How serious is it going to be globally?   Marc Lipsitch, head of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health’s Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, estimates between 20-60% of the global population will be infected.  Although mortality rate is not really a known at this point, at 1% that's a death toll between 14,000,000 and 42,000,000 people.   The Black Plague killed 50 million.  So yeah, the potential for this being the biggest news event of our lifetimes is there.   Hopefully it has much less of an impact, but it's going to disrupt the global economy in a pretty big way even if it's a quarter of that.   

Voted 8.  I don't envision mass deaths and movie-like looting, but the virus is absolutely going to have major impacts on all of us.  From school/work shutdowns, to entertainment/convention postponements and cancellations, to the economic impact that seems inevitable. 

The early voting here suggests I'm an outlier on this topic.  As someone that has NEVER felt this way about any previous 'scare' I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  Just hoping I'm incorrect and overreacting.

Went 6.   I'm in the Puget Sound area, so there's lot going on here.  UW just cancelled all in person classes.  Most of my meetings for work are being rescheduled or switched to conference calls.   My law partner and his wife are sick, and were exposed through her son that goes to nursing school and had 15 classmates that interned at the long-term care facility where 9 people died.  They have asked to be tested and have been refused.   My parents are elderly, so I'm worried about their health.   

So I'm seeing immediate impact on my life, personally and professionally.   How serious is it going to be globally?   Marc Lipsitch, head of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health’s Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, estimates between 20-60% of the global population will be infected.  Although mortality rate is not really a known at this point, at 1% that's a death toll between 14,000,000 and 42,000,000 people.   The Black Plague killed 50 million.  So yeah, the potential for this being the biggest news event of our lifetimes is there.   Hopefully it has much less of an impact, but it's going to disrupt the global economy in a pretty big way even if it's a quarter of that.   
:goodposting: Think it's a bigger deal than most think it will be.

voted 5

Im not too concerned but it does feel like a dread that is hanging over everything...

will I get sick? will the markets improve? will vacation plans be ruined? will schools be closed? will I run out of tp?

It just adds another stress level to everything. The funny thing is the getting sick part is the least of my worries
This sounds about what I'm thinking.

I'm also probably in a higher risk category due to some health stuff, so that concerns me.

With the Rodeo going on in Houston this week, I suppose we should see the number infected in Houston skyrocket. 
I'll be in Houston in a couple of weeks.

The crowd for the Houston Rodeo will be interesting to watch. If there's an event / crowd I'd guess would be the least affected, I'd think this would be up there.  

There is so much news and data and so many wildly opposing viewpoints even from seeming experts.  I can’t tell whether this is just a yawn and huge overreaction.....
Who are the experts that think that this is just a yawn and huge overreaction? I've heard that view shared by a few but I would hardly call them "experts". If anything it just makes you question their credibility on every other subject. Admittedly, I don't watch a lot of cable news. I was just curious.

Anyone describing this as a "yawn" has to go stand in line behind the flat-earthers imo. It's one thing to criticize the media as sensationalizing an already serious story, but to deny that it's having a global impact is beyond silly.

If that’s true then why are so many sophisticated corporations and world governments seemingly freaking out?  They just getting it wrong?  Buying into groupthink?
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  If you can run out the clock until the season works more favorably to stop the spread, it's a good idea.

I went 7 based on how it might affect me, personally. Parents around 70, but relatively healthy. GF is like one step removed from having it right now. I don't think I'm going to die from it, but I think I'm more likely to catch this right now than not.

I've never had the flu, so I'm not excited about getting a worse flu for the first time.

Speaking of disruption, I just got this email from the college I teach at (long Island NY):

At the current time, there is understandable concern from faculty, students, and community members related to the potential spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).  In fact, at Professional Development Day, a few faculty requested guidance from me on the continuity of instruction and academic guidelines related to this issue.

First of all, should President XXXXXX, SUNY, and the Board of Trustees make the decision that there is a reason to suspend face-to-face classes in the short-term, the College will want to provide, as much as humanly possible, the opportunity for the continuation of instruction.  Of course, we have Blackboard available to us and that will be the platform to provide such instruction.  Most faculty have already web-enabled their in-person classes, but some have not.  I met with XXXXXXXX and asked her to clear her calendar next week so that she can provide support to faculty, both full-time and adjuncts, who need help in setting up their Blackboard site.  Please ensure that if you do not currently use Blackboard or if you need her help, you reach out to her via e-mail as soon as possible so that, if needed, you are able to continue to provide instruction to students.  I ask that Academic Chairs and Campus Associate Academic Deans consult with their faculty to assist in this process. 

Secondly, as you may have read, SUNY and CUNY are calling home many of their study abroad students and it is likely that additional study abroad trips slated for this spring are being cancelled. XXXXXXXXX is closely monitoring this for our own programs slated to begin in June. She will have more information for those of you involved in this, as time progresses.

Thirdly, please reconsider your classroom attendance policies at this time and ensure that modifications are communicated to your students.  Students should not be penalized for missing class as a result of either illness or fear of illness. 

Fourthly, please reconsider whether or not it is judicious to mandate that students attend large events in New York City or beyond.  I would ask that you consider other ways that the related student learning outcomes can be achieved for this semester.

Lastly, XXXXXXX is in communication with state agencies and local facilities about any issues related to our students in clinical hospital placements.  All program directors, coordinators, and Chairs who have students working in schools or health care facilities should also do outreach to our community partners to ascertain particular protocols.
We have a break the week after next, I have a feeling we wont make it to the break and they will close the school early to let this ride out.

I'd say yes.
Then I'd say a 7.  I anticipate that, where I live, there will ultimately be substantial commercial disruption.  Events will be canceled and some businesses will go bankrupt (or at least suffer major losses).  Basically an economic slowdown that will heavily impact the local economy is what I expect.  Capital investment will slow.  And although not tied to the geographical area where I live, the market losses have certainly impacted a lot of people in my area, particularly those nearing retirement.  Local schools will likely be impacted, though to what degree remains to be seen.  And then there's the public health impact.

I'll be in Houston in a couple of weeks.

The crowd for the Houston Rodeo will be interesting to watch. If there's an event / crowd I'd guess would be the least affected, I'd think this would be up there.  
So far, the five cases in Houston have all been linked to the same group trip to Egypt.

I think it's important in that this is a test to see how we respond globally to this type of threat in the future, because something with a higher fatality rate will come along. If we've learned enough from this experience we may be able to stop the next one.

The virus is going to have an impact on supply chains and GDPs.  I personally think that is overblown and a lot of the fear is propped up by the media wanting to play this up and get ratings.

The mortality rate is high, lets freak out --- but yet we haven't really been testing it so the number of cases in the denominator is significantly understated.

The number of cases grows every day, lets freak out -- but that is perpetuated by the fact we are finally testing...and this is quickly dropping the mortality rate...which way do you want it?  

My guess is there are millions of people infected, but it just doesnt move the needle in terms of concern beyond taking a day off of work or not feeling great.  Yes, for the elderly, this can be deadly, just like any virus.  The fact that it is new, makes it that much worse and causes fear and panic.  I get all of that, and I understand the concern for those that are older and have parents that are in the high risk zone.

Our spring break is planned for Disney in 2 weeks.  This is the first time going with our 6 and 7 year olds and we currently still plan to go  (may be forced not to, but that is not my decision).  The reality of the low rates of incidents for kids (and really anyone under 40/50), confirms this decision to go in our opinion.  My wife is an NP at a pediatrics office, which I suppose is relevant.

ETA - I feel it should be a 2 or 3, but we are likely in the 7 or 8 category nationwide.  In Ohio, we are probably a 4 or 5.

Users who are viewing this thread