What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

15 yo Album:

Prince - Purple Rain

Have probably played this album more than any other ever, but in 1984 I wore this cassette out.  As I said my buddy was a big Prince fan and so was I by this time.  This album was like his mainstream magnum opus.  Every song was gold.  Remember driving my friends (only one with a car) listening to Darling Nikki.  Good times.

My favorites:

Computer Blue

I Would Die 4 U
P.S.

This bad boy is what I was cranking Purple Rain on in my 1979 Datsun 210.

go for it, dood.

but do it for you - posterity is never sure if it wants you or not. i have had successes with writing, but i'm not even close to successful with it. but i am totally fulfilled by it. whether flights of fancy, epics of imagination or jigsawing my guts out on a page, learning how to universalize the personal is one of the best ways to use oneself, focus oneself, keep oneself ready for the rest of it. society may not benefit the way you want it to, but it will be better off for you trying.
That's great advice.  I started writing just for my own kicks but started putting pressure on myself and wanting to write the great American novel. I used to do it to pass time but that was before I discovered how much fun playing computer games can be, and I got sidetracked. One of my oldest friends from my old neighborhood, a guy whose grammar, punctuation and vocabulary were laughable to me, is a thrice-published horror novelist. He too has told me to get to it.  The big roadblock for me is probably not my videogame habit but rather the idea that your advice speaks to: doing it for me.  Things move at a glacial pace with me at times, but since I can't shake it, I can see myself getting around to it.  Maybe I'll even put them here some time, since it will be for fun and not profit.

Sorry for the hijack, carry on.  There have been so many songs and albums I've never heard, it's been hard for me to even 'like' that many, but know that I'm enjoying this thread anyway.

The other memories that stood out for my 15 year time period was our trips to the record stores.  A couple of my friends had their license already, and we would run into the Exclusive Company in Madison and grab a couple CDs each.  All of us had jobs by then, and WTF else would we spend our money on?  The fond memory (and one that I wish my kids would be able to experience) is just taking shots on albums with little to no knowledge of what they were or what they sounded like.  Sure, we wasted a little money that way, but damn was that fun.  Some ideas of course would come from MTV and videos we saw, but mostly it was just because of the band name, the album cover, or just taking a shot - ie this is how our group came across gems like Butthole Surfers, Fudge Tunnel, or getting Nothing's Shocking because there were boobies on the cover.  ;)   Anyway, one of my finds in 1990 was this one, and it's the closest thing I could think of that fueled my transition from metal to more alt music.  There were 2 of us that would listen to this over and over.  

Round 6/Age 15 Album:  Primus - Frizzle Fry

Groundhog's Day

Frizzle Fry

That solo in Frizzle Fry still gets me when Les' bass kicks in, and of course I was in love with Herb's drumming.   I was listening to this last night and it does make sense that this would be a metal ---> alternative bridge for me.  I think Soundgarden played a similar role giving me a farther push that way a couple years later.  
not enough in it to keep me there as an old fart, but ive long thought these were guys ida been all over if i'd been born 20 yrs later

That's great advice.  I started writing just for my own kicks but started putting pressure on myself and wanting to write the great American novel. I used to do it to pass time but that was before I discovered how much fun playing computer games can be, and I got sidetracked. One of my oldest friends from my old neighborhood, a guy whose grammar, punctuation and vocabulary were laughable to me, is a thrice-published horror novelist. He too has told me to get to it.  The big roadblock for me is probably not my videogame habit but rather the idea that your advice speaks to: doing it for me.  Things move at a glacial pace with me at times, but since I can't shake it, I can see myself getting around to it.  Maybe I'll even put them here some time, since it will be for fun and not profit.

Sorry for the hijack, carry on.  There have been so many songs and albums I've never heard, it's been hard for me to even 'like' that many, but know that I'm enjoying this thread anyway.
Hemingway (not a favorite) was asked what the most important aspect of good writing is. "Need" was his reply. People have guessed everything from the mercenary to the existential upon that response. My guess is that the need to which Papa spoke is to express, to capture, to elevate experience, feeling & imagination to its holiest aspect.

I went without wanting that for quite a long time. I wrote because i thought in jokes and people wanted to hear and/or buy jokes. Didn't get the itch in my switch until my wife died. Her death was so meaningless that i needed meaning to continue. But i already knew that attaching meaning to life or accepting the meaning others had found as gospel was hollow. When i found telling narrative truth - making my best, most selfless estimations of the value of life in the course of telling a tale - i found the beauty of who i am and what i do. I still think in jokes, but i know what to laugh at now. There is, for each of us, a beauty (whether art, truth or love) only we can serve. Find it and we are free. GL -

15.alb  Upon the Wings of Music  - Jean-Luc Ponty

When I was 15, I placed a lot of importance on the technical proficiency of musicians.  This came out of my love for progressive rock and my friendship with Mike Erpelding who played the bass.  The mid-70s was also the peak for jazz-rock fusion, which managed to be even more musically show-offey than prog without its pretentious lyrics.

Fusion isn't appreciated much today; it's been largely dismissed by both Rock and Jazz fans.  When I listen today to the records I dug back then, a lot of them don't sound great in retrospect.  There's a lot of soloists riffing too fast on top of stiff funk rhythms and keyboard players wearing out the pitch bending dial on their synthesizers. 

This album was my favorite back then and I admit it might just be nostalgia that makes me think it still holds up.  The liquid sound of Ponty's electric violin sets it apart from guitar- and keyboard-dominant fusion.  Patrice Rushen mostly sticks to the Rhodes which sounds less dated than cheesy 70s synths.  Teenager Ralphe Armstrong just kills it on bass.  The songs are melodic and solos are relatively concise.
Whoa. Haven't thought about him in ages. Had a group of friends that started playing jazz just at the of HS- they got me into these Pat Metheny, Jean luc ponty type of peeps for a brief stretch.

15 yr old album: Here Come The Warm Jets - Brian Eno

A little stretching here, this album came out a month or so before I turned 16.  I could have picked so many albums here ...Zeppelin, the Who, ...of course Todd. 

No new story with this one - it follows exactly along with the single choice background.  My musical-influence buddies were all over this. 

Branching off of Roxy Music, this was his first solo album.  This album has a bit of everything - pop, Roxy-influence alt-style, and Robert Fripp's screaming guitar.

15.alb  Upon the Wings of Music  - Jean-Luc Ponty

When I was 15, I placed a lot of importance on the technical proficiency of musicians.  This came out of my love for progressive rock and my friendship with Mike Erpelding who played the bass.  The mid-70s was also the peak for jazz-rock fusion, which managed to be even more musically show-offey than prog without its pretentious lyrics.

Fusion isn't appreciated much today; it's been largely dismissed by both Rock and Jazz fans.  When I listen today to the records I dug back then, a lot of them don't sound great in retrospect.  There's a lot of soloists riffing too fast on top of stiff funk rhythms and keyboard players wearing out the pitch bending dial on their synthesizers. 

This album was my favorite back then and I admit it might just be nostalgia that makes me think it still holds up.  The liquid sound of Ponty's electric violin sets it apart from guitar- and keyboard-dominant fusion.  Patrice Rushen mostly sticks to the Rhodes which sounds less dated than cheesy 70s synths.  Teenager Ralphe Armstrong just kills it on bass.  The songs are melodic and solos are relatively concise.
Ponty was a very popular opening act on the 70s concert scene, but not once once in the half-dozen times i saw him was the headliner of the same ilk as him, so what i most remember him for is performing transcendant music ruined by impatient yahoos

Alright, I would really prefer to not go the compilation album route but this album or maybe rather this series of albums completely defines late 90s/early 00s for me and for most people my age who grew up in Canada. And that series is The Big Shiny Tunes set of albums. These are compilations put out by MuchMusic (our MTV) at a time when that was still relavent. 

The most successful album in the series is 12x platinum and was the third best selling album in Canada ever (behind the big ones by Shania and Celine, of course), the one I'm drafting is 8x platinum. Yes, it is absolutely bonkers that the third best selling album ever in Canada is a compilation but that's how big this was. 

There is definitely some nostalgia for people my age looking back - in recent years, there was a Big Shiny Bracket or a popular Toronto twitter account. Our most popular cover band devotes nights just to playing these songs. Toronto's best rock station recently ranked the albums from worst to best, another popular pastime up here. When I get together with friends who have different taste in music than I do, I literally just play a big shiny playlist and know everyone will be happy. There ended up being 14 in the series but it gets hit and miss in the later years

Those debates are fun too and consensus usually falls with Big Shiny Tunes 2 - the one that sold the most copies. And it is pretty good. I don't want to spotlight all the songs but if you're interested, that track list is here. BST 4 is pretty solid as well.

My pick however, is the next one, Big Shiny Tunes 3 

Incidentally, Indie88 also puts it at number one in their ranking above, so maybe with time the consensus has shifted in the right direction. In terms of the songs on it, every single one of them is permanently etched in my brain.

So, what's on it?

"That Song" by Big Wreck was my favourite song for a good 5 years. "Money City Maniacs" is the biggest rock anthem Sloan ever produced, "Apparitions" is one of Matthew Good's very best - these albums were all heavy on Canadian content, in case you haven't figured that out, this one also has Barenaked Ladies biggest hit and Goo Goo Dolls biggest hit ("One Week"/"Iris") - yes Buffalo is in the CanCon section, why not...

But around that, we mix in some of the biggest alternative songs from that era that aren't from Canadian bands. When I think of late 90s radio alt anthems, "My Hero", "The Way", "How's It Gonna Be" and "Closing Time" are right at the top of the pile. Throw in some heavier rock ("Dragula"), some hip-hop  ("Three MCs and One DJ") and some indie ("Karma Police") and no wonder this album and series was so unstoppable. 

Full track listing

• The Smashing Pumpkins – "Ava Adore" – 4:20
  • Fastball – "The Way" – 4:16
  • Foo Fighters – "My Hero" – 4:20
  • Matthew Good Band – "Apparitions" – 4:00
  • Semisonic – "Closing Time" – 4:38
  • Barenaked Ladies – "One Week" – 2:52
  • Beastie Boys – "Three MC's and One DJ" – 2:50
  • Rob Zombie – "Dragula (The Hot Rod Herman Mix)" – 4:30
  • Third Eye Blind – "How's It Going to Be" – 4:14
  • Sloan – "Money City Maniacs" – 3:53
  • Lenny Kravitz – "Fly Away" – 3:41
  • Placebo – "Pure Morning" – 3:52
  • Garbage – "Push It" – 4:01
  • Radiohead – "Karma Police" – 4:20
  • Goo Goo Dolls – "Iris" – 4:52
  • Big Wreck – "That Song" – 5:04
  • Monster Magnet – "Space Lord" – 5:55

Last edited by a moderator:
15yo Album - Let It Bleed, Rolling Stones

best album of the 60s and, if they'd put albumless Honky Tonk Woman where stoopitfrikkin Country Honk is, leaving the two acoustic songs after the anthems which begin each side , with the rest str8up rock, the best ever. been trying to work up a better way to express LiB's spot in my life better than i did in DocOc's Stones thread, but i cant, so, from FFA 6/23/19:

Groucho Marx Syndrome - not joining any club that would have you for a member - has clouded my entire life. I'm sad & alone because, as much as i love what goes on inside of me, i'm suspect of anyone who wants to show the slightest amount of faith in who i am. Always wanted the fancy, the unattainable, to wrestle down the tease. The honest look of faith that is truly the best thing between people always had me running for the hills like the monkaaaay i am. Woe is that way - 

And it started with Robin.

The fall of '69 i got kicked in the head playing soccer. Not a bad injury,  but it was complicated by the fact that my brain is improperly suspended in my skull (my spine's the same way - stenosis curses my every day) so the swelling pressed my brain right up against my skull so that any sharp movement caused a contrecoup injury on the opposite side. I ended up in cervical traction (about the most uncomfortable a human can be) for a wk to safely reduce the swelling. As soon as that was over, a group of classmates were allowed to visit me (hospitals not only kept you much longer than they do now, but were very squirrely about people under 16yo being around).

One of them was Robin L. A beautiful girl - golden hair & skin, played school sports so she had both field hockey legs & tennis butt, and eyes so blue you wanted to dive into em. Topped with a massive honker that the Wicked Witch of the West would have found excessive. She was not a mouse at all, had plenty boys after her, but she liked me and you can't help who you like.

One of the conversation subjects when classmates came to see me was the pending release of the new Stones record. Because Honky Tonk Woman had been perhaps their biggest single, it caused Let It Bleed to be anticipated on a similar level to how Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane had hyped Sgt Pepper. I made a passing joke about not being able to stand in line @ North Shore Shopping Center for it and somebody remembered.

"You have a visitor, wikkid", said the nurse, and in walked that craggy vision of a girl with her hands behind her back. After registering my surprises and exchanging pleasantries, she gave me one of those looks of faith that began a life of runnings and presented me a copy of Let It Bleed with a bow on it. I really should have stopped loving other women for the rest of my life right then & there (i dont reunion, but my best pal does and says that Robin is easily the most successful & beautiful of our classmates), but my Li'l Bardot was still around to torture me.

I've recounted very recently about my 40+yr history of being Mr Inbetween for my very first sweetheart. My Li'l Bardot is the sexiest human i've ever known, loved me well, loves me still, but almost never loved me first. Years of making out, but she didn't want me to be her first so she went to a concert and groupied a rock god for that, then we could do stuff. When i came home from running away, she had the older, musician boyfriend she was supposed to but, eventually, she let me leak thru the cracks. I quit showbiz to live with her in a mountain commune, but only after her hippiegod boyfriend had taken off to Mexico.

That summer Li'l Bardot had dispatched her cherry so, though i wasn't her official boyfriend, we shonuff got enough sweat on her plush toys. Robin may well have loved me because i was ungainly & ridiculous, but it was more likely because i was the toy of the It Girl of our school. Maybe i wanted to be treated right. I didn't.

I was moved by her gift - i mean, she actually did stand in line and it would have involved parental transportation - and i was more than polite about it, but she had a bigger nose than the Old Man in the Mountain and i was already dabbling with royalty. As you can tell, i think about it still.

15 yr old album: Here Come The Warm Jets - Brian Eno

A little stretching here, this album came out a month or so before I turned 16.  I could have picked so many albums here ...Zeppelin, the Who, ...of course Todd. 

No new story with this one - it follows exactly along with the single choice background.  My musical-influence buddies were all over this. 

Branching off of Roxy Music, this was his first solo album.  This album has a bit of everything - pop, Roxy-influence alt-style, and Robert Fripp's screaming guitar.
Always loved “Driving Me Backwards”. Such a sinister sound and fun listen.

15 year album- Queen- The Game 

In the summer of 1980 I went with a bunch of friends to the Great Western Forum in Inglewood (then home of the Lakers, who had a new look featuring rookie Magic Johnson) to watch Queen. I remember the Blasters opened up for them, and they were fine. Then Freddie and the boys came out. It remains quite possibly the single best live show I’ve ever seen. 

I was already familiar with most of the songs from The Game, though I didn’t own the album until after the concert- but I knew “Another One Bites the Dust”, “Save Me”, “The Game”, “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”, and “Don’t Try Suicide”, all of which were performed that night. (Actually my favorite song from this album is probably Roger Taylor’s “Sail Away Sweet Sister”. 

Age 15 Album: "Metal Circus" EP - Hüsker Dü

i hooked back up with Maggie after the second baseman dropped the ball - her overture to me was a copy of "Wild in the Streets" by the Circke Jerks for Christmas, because she knew i loved "all that punk ####" 😆

Zook never made it past 21, he was sideswiped one rainy night while changing a tire on rt. 3 in Jersey.  his wake/funeral was too much to deal with, i crawled into a bottle of Jack for a few months.
Ah, yes, if you'd never heard Wild In The Streets you'd never know how punk it was. 😂 Reminds me of the story of running into my punk ex-girlfriend with the fishnet stockings the night my friend met her finally after we broke up and also buying Wönderful on cassette. He made so much fun of me for dating a little roly-poly lass trying to look like Robert Smith plus the awfulness of the cassette that I'd never wished a car ride had concluded so quickly. (I think he was listening to the Gorilla Biscuits at the time. Something good and AcerFC'ey.) 🎶 It's an American. Heavy. Metal. Weekend. responded the Jerks. Oy vey.

You know if you know. 

And R.I.P., Zook. Too few too beautiful make it as cool as you. 

6.xx Age Fifteen Album - Jane's Addiction - Triple XXX Recording (Live)

I remember this as more sixteen for some reason, but the dates align and I had this one before the nudes of Casey Niccoli came out and shocked record shoppers everywhere, so here goes. Fourteen was Dead Kennedys, fifteen Faster #####cat. But what's to say about a #####cat's back that isn't anything but whack? And the Dead Kennedys are really for bored white kids, as Jello would say, and there are no stories in the DK's world other than to prove a point. I got no points to make, and never liked anything that didn't leave me feeling Irish Spring fresh, so here's the dope Jane's was on:

I dug this album. I remember being at a soccer game I was waiting to play in, and thinking that it's been three months, why has it not left my cassette player? I was finally hitting the initial stages of puberty and Guns N' Roses and the aforementioned Cats no longer held gusto, the Kennedys were thumpa-thumpa my brain with something angry all the time. And political. Take it to the PSF, Jello! But this just stuck. In retrospect, most people and critics groan about Jane's and their cultural influence, and I'm left to wonder why, if not for a big amount of rock star posturing, if not for the possibility of regional snobbery. (Nothing from L.A...). It probably doesn't help their credentials that their greatest accomplishment is the re-establishment of the music festival, laughed at so darn hard by most of the hardened industry and cultural types, beloved by a certain segment of the population, absolutely running its course with the red carpet scene that is SXSW, Coachella, etc., but dying the only cultural death meaningful enough to have been a corporate one, not one of neglect. Quite an accomplishment if not for anything else, Lollapalooza and its spawn. But there was the music and their act, and hopefully this next can be a nice microcosm of what they could be when not quarreling nor high. Memory is fuzzy, though, like this part of the exercise has been for me, and I guess this is what sticks out the most. 

I remember being a seventeen year-old kid, newly seventeen and already tired of Janes's act, sitting watching them have one last blast with the Springfield, MA, Civic Center crowd one weekday night, probably weeks before they broke up. Two things of note: Seeing that the hardcore scene hadn't gotten rid of its Neo-Nazi element, and watching the surprising amount of kids from the area who had no music and no public place to cause trouble show and start dropping some Nazi salutes, Perry Farrell, instead of blathering about like a million hardcore acts around CT and MA had done to little effect, simply grabbed the microphone and said, "I'm a skinny little Jew, just like you..." to which they immediately peeled into Pigs In Zen. The bull#### actually stopped. A second moment of note: Displaying the creativity and guts it took to drag about four large beverage containers/coolers -- the hard kind you take on trips -- mic'ing them up, and proceeding to have a drum circle while they played little-known "Chip Away" off of their first album as part of their encore, at a time when all anyone really knew was "Been Caught Stealing." 

What a moment for an older fan. What a trip they were.

Chip Away

15 yo Album:

Prince - Purple Rain

Have probably played this album more than any other ever, but in 1984 I wore this cassette out.  As I said my buddy was a big Prince fan and so was I by this time.  This album was like his mainstream magnum opus.  Every song was gold.  Remember driving my friends (only one with a car) listening to Darling Nikki.  Good times.

My favorites:

Computer Blue

I Would Die 4 U
This was my ten year-old record, except it happened one year too late.

Nice pick.

La Schmoove. 

From eighteen year-old me's favorite album and song...Herewith the italics

I could feel you coming
I felt so out of touch
Hanging on so tight for life
While the bones in your hand got crushed

How come I always know
When the worst is gonna come?
Sometimes it's so hard to know
When you can't change what's gonna come

How could they make you go?
How could they break your hands?
How come I always have to know
These things I can't stand?

15 year old song:

Metallica - Harvester Of Sorrow

My interest in Metallica peaked around 13 or 14 but I had to include something by them in this whole thing. First band I was really into.  I still liked them enough to see them at 15 (or maybe 16) on the Black Album tour. Had a blast. Hard to pick a favorite tune so just went with something from my favorite album. First album I bought. Pretty fun revisiting this stuff.

15 year old album

Fugazi - 13 Songs

Okay, not really an album, but whatever. If Metallica defined the first part of my adolescence, Fugazi owned the rest. Played this record incessantly. Saw them a bunch. Wore my "This Is Not A Fugazi T-Shirt" until it disintegrated. Half the reason I picked up the bass was to learn "Waiting Room". Not my favorite band anymore, but I've never liked a band as much as I liked Fugazi in high school. I still play it quite a bit. Sounds really good tonight. 

Looking forward to age 20 song tomorrow. My song basically puts me down the music discovery path I've been on the last 15-20 years. My wife had lyrics from it engraved on my old 80gb iPod. It's pretty good. 

Northern Voice said:
From my album pick today...

So I always get nostalgic with that song
But in my room its forced
It has to be in some car across the street

I really love that song
I clicked to see if it was Third Eye Blind

ETA:  I really liked That Song.  Grunge Pop.

timschochet said:
15 year album- Queen- The Game 

In the summer of 1980 I went with a bunch of friends to the Great Western Forum in Inglewood (then home of the Lakers, who had a new look featuring rookie Magic Johnson) to watch Queen. I remember the Blasters opened up for them, and they were fine. Then Freddie and the boys came out. It remains quite possibly the single best live show I’ve ever seen. 

I was already familiar with most of the songs from The Game, though I didn’t own the album until after the concert- but I knew “Another One Bites the Dust”, “Save Me”, “The Game”, “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”, and “Don’t Try Suicide”, all of which were performed that night. (Actually my favorite song from this album is probably Roger Taylor’s “Sail Away Sweet Sister”. 
I saw them a day or two later up in Oakland!

Sail aways a nice tune...hadn't thought about it in ages.

Also had no memory this tour was to support The Game.

15 Year Album:  Here’s to Future Days - Thompson Twins

It’s rare that I like every song on an album, but this one had it all for 15 year old me.  “Don’t Mess With Doctor Dream”, “Lay Your Hands On Me”, “King For A Day” - Even a great cover of The Beatles “Revolution“.  Another fun 80’s album that just fit the times.  Way too many great albums to pick from, but I probably played this more than others.

Age 15 album:  Echo & the Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here

9th grade/1982 was when my friend introduced this song to me.  He was the guy that was always listening to #### you'd never heard of..and I thank him every time we get together for doing so. Totally changed my musical trajectory for the next 35 years.

They're still one of my favorites and are still pretty damn great live. Just saw them again last year.

15 year old me was finally breaking free and exploring the streets....straight to the library lol. The local library always had the latest releases on cassette to borrow so i dug right in. With the wonderful sleeve design of Peter Saville I was intrigued by this green cover. Then i saw the bands name, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. Wow that was a strange name. Gotta check this out. Doing so change my life. 

Simply put this album blew me away. So weird. So beautiful. 

From the opener featuring a Czechoslovakian radio broadcast called “Radio Prague” to a song just saying ABC repeatedly intertwined with 123 called “ ABC Auto Industry” to a song about submarine noises exploding with a siren “Dazzle Ships (Parts II, III and VII) and a song featuring the time from different different countries eg at the third stroke it will 915 “Time Zones

Apart from the weird stuff were beautiful and more traditional songs such as

Telegraph

Genetic Engineering

Silent Running (absolutely gorgeous synths) 

Of all the things weve made

The whole thing is a beautiful piece of art. Criticized and misunderstood on its release, it has aged well. 

Pitchfork journalist Tom Ewing wrote: "Luckily, you don't need a contrarian streak to love it... history has done its own remix job on Dazzle Ships, and the result is a richer, more unified album than anyone in 1983 could have imagined

Ned Raggett in Allmusic said the record "beats Kraftwerk at their own game", and described it as "dazzling indeed"; he and colleague David Jeffries hailed the album as a "masterpiece

Dazzle Shipshas also been championed by producer Mark Ronson who said of the album: "I was just completely floored. It's so weird when you hear something that's like 30 years old that immediately you're just like, 'I've been robbed, I could have been listening to this for the past 30 years'. It's just so elegant but a bit lo-fi at the same time.

This album introduced me to the band. I was unaware of the commerical success they had previously in the UK with Enola Gay, Maid or Orleans, Souvenir etc. Going backwards I was enthralled. Junk Culture came out and I was hooked. 

15 year old Album - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD) - Dazzle Ships

Age 20 song No Cigar by Millencolin

Not too much to say here. I commuted to university and lived at home but my parents basically allowed me total freedom so I was rarely home. The days and nights were filled with a lot punk music, video games, drinking/smoking and chasing girls. Tons of concerts, house parties and somehow doing really well in college. It was only 17 years ago but it seems like an eternity ago. It's hard to even imagine that I was actually that person. Also, it just now sunk in that I will done with this draft in a week and will have to switch to observer. 

Why this song of all the various punk songs of the time? 

We will shut you out
We'll put you in doubt
If you think that you're special
We'll tell you who you are
We'll tell you that you're close but no cigar

We were pricks. We had disdain for the "cool kids" even though that made us just a different kind of "cool kids". We were anti-frat guys and preppy types but to be fair, we were also jerks who looked down on people who weren't as hip, good looking, fortunate, etc. So we were really just like the a-holes we supposedly stood against. I honestly don't miss being in my late teens early 20s at all, despite the fact that it was so fun. 

20 year old song - that would be 1986.  I was in college and was soaking in all the "college rock" that WZMB played.  That was ECU's radio station. My favorite college rock band at this time was REM, and they released Life's Rich Pageant in '86.  My favorite album by them is Reckoning, but LRP is a good album, and "Fall On Me" is my favorite tune from the album.

Fall On Me - REM

Users who are viewing this thread