What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (7 Viewers)

Well gosh darn, the funk just keeps flowing and the native tongues are the gift that keeps on giving.  

34.am

I'll Say it Again

Sweet Linda Divine

(1970)

UNH!  Come on!  So seminal to this track, hopefully not on rock's corner too much here.

ENGINE ENGINE NUMBER 9

ON THE NEW YORK TRANSIT LINE

IF MY TRAIN GOES OFF THE TRACK

PICK IT UP PICK IT UP PICK IT UP!

35. pm

The Choice is Yours (revisited)

Black Sheep

(1991)

You can get with this or you get with that

39.not getting sniped here

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

Could've taken about half a dozen or more songs from this album, but I dig this the most. Drafted this in the 2020 draft, may as well take it here. Dance floors have been waiting for something like this for like 20 years and now no clubbing. Like rain on a wedding day...bummer. Best pop dance album in the past couple decades? too early to tell? did someone take this 7 minutes ago while I was typing this up? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, scratch the above.  and Here is a total vanity pick.

36.am

Early in the Morning

The Gap Band

(1982)

This was like my favorite song as a 14-year-old but gosh darn this is the most wack-### video ever.

37.pm

Back to the Hotel

N2Deep

(1992)
I think I had back to the hotel on a mixtape w paperboy ditty.

Best part is when the music stops... And the metronome goes for a few ticks then the car horn. 

:thumbup:

I didn't hate this.
Which is apparently the criteria for any Prince cover. In my internet scouring he apparently was quite vocal about the covers he didn't care for, which knowing him doesn't surprise me at all. He was quiet about this one though. And I actually like this version better than the original, but that's because I'm naturally drawn to their sound while 80's synth triggers my gag reflex. But they didn't do anything to make it their own, which is why I tried to find something else. George Clinton was the closest I could find, but on second listen yesterday it wasn't something I wanted to listen to until the end so I crossed it off the list. 

40th Round  The Jam - Just Who Is the 5 O'Clock Hero?  (1982)

This had two songs as b-side, but I only want to add The Great Depression.  

In 1995, Paul Weller decided to form a supergroup called "The Smokin' Mojo Filters" to contribute a cover of "Come Together" to The Help Album, an album to benefit the War Child charity.  He recruited one of the Oases and some others, then wrote this letter to Paul McCartney asking him to join, which he did.  They gathered in the studio and recorded it in one day.  Unfortunately, the finished product is kinda garbage since he wasn't smart enough to invite Ringo, too.

Hey, should we call the numbers in that letter to see if we can reach Paul Weller and ask why he didn't invite Ringo?

I have 4 must-have's from 2000 and 2001. I didn't expect either one to get a free play, but I waited until after round 33 just to be sure. I've been delaying trying to figure out which one to leave off in hopes my decision would be made for me, knowing it may not. And since we're now one pick away from the free-for-all free play it's time to make the decision I don't want to. So, #1:

Round 40 The Guords - Gin & Juice (2001)

I didn't realize until after we started this draft the sheer volume of acoustic and bluegrass covers that exist in the music world. I had a number of them written down, but as the days ticked by and reality sunk in I decided I wasn't going to include any of them in my jukebox. It's too easy, I said to myself. But I am making one exception. I don't know if this was the OG of bluegrass covers of hip hop hits, but in my world it was. It was a staple at every college party. I think it's aged spectacularly. And even if it is just nostalgia - I don't care.

I have 4 must-have's from 2000 and 2001. I didn't expect either one to get a free play, but I waited until after round 33 just to be sure. I've been delaying trying to figure out which one to leave off in hopes my decision would be made for me, knowing it may not. And since we're now one pick away from the free-for-all free play it's time to make the decision I don't want to. So, #1:

Round 40 The Guords - Gin & Juice (2001)

I didn't realize until after we started this draft the sheer volume of acoustic and bluegrass covers that exist in the music world. I had a number of them written down, but as the days ticked by and reality sunk in I decided I wasn't going to include any of them in my jukebox. It's too easy, I said to myself. But I am making one exception. I don't know if this was the OG of bluegrass covers of hip hop hits, but in my world it was. It was a staple at every college party. I think it's aged spectacularly. And even if it is just nostalgia - I don't care.
I remember when this was being shared on Napster mislabeled as Phish. 😆

40.ee - The Diamond Church Street Choir - The Gaslight Anthem (2010)

The Gaslight Anthem was one of the principal 21st century bands inspired by Springsteen's music.  Front man Brian Fallon was born in Red Bank, NJ and now lives in Belmar which is home of the original E Street.

This song's finger popping rhythm conjures up the spirit of the Boss circa 1973.

Going to take my free play free play choice this morning since I haven’t decided on my next pick for today yet. Yo Mama selects:

40.ym - Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade (1996)

So this song, aside from being incredibly awesomely fantastic, rails against the military industrial complex and was also written in response to the US building a wall on the border with Mexico (where thousands of dead bodies had been found since the start of its construction) while the country was celebrating the removal of the Berlin Wall at the same time. Bulls on Parade is also a reference to a show of force by the police, so it hits the trifecta for my theme: anti-war, condemning harmful/hypocritical US policies, and anti-police brutality. 

Terror rains drenchin', quenchin' the thirst
Of the power dons, that five-sided Fistagon
The rotten sore on the face of Mother Earth gets bigger
The trigger’s cold, empty your purse

Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
Not need, just feed the war, cannibal animal
I walk the corner to the rubble, that used to be a library
Line up to the mind cemetery now
What we don't know keeps the contracts alive and movin'
They don't gotta burn the books, they just remove 'em
While arms warehouses fill as quick as the cells
Rally 'round the family, pockets full of shells

Yo Mama's Jukebox

40 Years of Unrest and Protest

Link to Spotify Playlist

1966 - For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

1968 - Revolution - The Beatles

1969 - Fortunate Son - CCR

1969* - Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones

-------------------------------------------------

1970 - War Pigs - Black Sabbath

1971 - What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

1971* - Yours is No Disgrace - Yes

1973 - Living for the City - Stevie Wonder

1973* - Get Up Stand Up - Bob Marley & the Wailers

1976 - Anarchy in the U.K. - Sex Pistols

1978 - (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding - Elvis Costello & the Attractions

1979 - Another Brick in the Wall pt 2 - Pink Floyd

1980 - Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys

1981 - Ghost Town - The Specials

1981* - Invisible Sun - The Police

1982 - The Message - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five

1983 - Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2

1984 - World Destruction - Time Zone

1985 - Bonzo Goes to Bitburg - The Ramones

1986 - Dear God - XTC

1987 - Biko (Live) - Peter Gabriel

1988 - F**k Tha Police - N.W.A.

1989 - Fight the Power - Public Enemy

1991 - Trapped - 2Pac

1992 - Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine

1993 - Glorified G - Pearl Jam

1994 - Zombie - The Cranberries

1996 - April 29, 1992 - Sublime

1996* - Bulls on Parade - Rage Against the Machine

1999 - Mathematics - Mos Def

2000 - Idioteque - Radiohead

2001 - American Skin - Bruce Springsteen

2004 - American Idiot - Green Day

2005 - B.Y.O.B. - System of a Down

2006 - Uncommon Valor: A Vietnam Story - Jedi Mind Tricks

2008 - Paper Planes - M.I.A.

2011 - Born This Way - Lady Gaga

2015 - Alright - Kendrick Lamar

2016 - Formation - Beyonce

2019 - This Land - Gary Clark Jr.

* Free Play Double Ups

37.03: Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm (2001)

slim pickin's in the 00's ...these guys once again prove that anyone could be a rock star during this time ...including your local Hardee's night shift crew

this is a pretty cool take on a great Michael Jackson song.  
I don't know if this was in response to what I wrote upstream, but - THANK YOU!!!

I was going to pick this song with the free play option in a half hour, but now that it's off the bored I no longer have to worry about which of the 4 in 2000 and 2001 would be left off my jukebox. Someone else made the decision for me.

Users who are viewing this thread