What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (4 Viewers)

Sorry I couldn't take part in this one, y'all. Been a busy month and I was a bit drafted out after the mammoth album draft, but I'll try to power skim through the topic. :lmao:   :ph34r:

Good time to post, by the way, because the last shuffle on the DID Album Playlist was nice as hell, though I failed to keep a proper list.

:suds: Cheers, fellow scoundrels.

No, I'm not posting this right after 1 pm because I think it will be sniped.  :lmao:   But I did happen to be here right now.

41st Round  Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers - Calico Train (2009)

I wanted a Steep Canyon Ranger song, but the record I like best (Rare Bird Alert) was released in a year I already selected.  Most of their other works were with Edie Brickell, and in a shock to no one, I don't like listening to her.  However, I do like this song with a different female vocalist, Ireland's own Mary Black.  Beautiful song and performance, and the title is pleasing for a few reasons.

On the aforementioned Rare Bird Alert, Paul sings the very nifty Steve Martin-penned song, "Best Love."

ETA:  Forgot to mention that I dedicate this song to @simey!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the aughts’ for my next pick. Yo Mama selects:

41.ym - Spoon - Don’t Make Me a Target (2007)

This is a song against GW Bush and his policies in the Middle East. It can be interpreted in two ways - “I don’t want to fight in your unjust wars” or “Your policies are making us hated around the world.”

Here come the man from the stars
We don't know why he go so far
And keep on marching along
Beating his drum

Thugs and sticks and bats and balls
For nuclear ##### with dialect drawls
They come from a parking lot town
Where nothing lives in the Sun

Don't make me a target

No, I'm not posting this right after 1 pm because I think it will be sniped.  :lmao:   But I did happen to be here right now.

I wanted a Steep Canyon Ranger song, but the record I like best (Rare Bird Alert) was released in a year I already selected.  Most of their other works were with Edie Brickell, and in a shock to no one, I don't like listening to her.  However, I do like this song with a different female vocalist, Ireland's own Mary Black.  Beautiful song and performance, and the title is pleasing for a few reasons.

On the aforementioned Rare Bird Alert, Paul sings the very nifty Steve Martin-penned song, "Best Love."

Martin also sang Maxwell's Silver Hammer in the Sgt. Pepper movie

I was waiting to see what Binky was gonna do re Todd, but I guess I'll make the first move.

This song was the world's first introduction to Todd Rundgren. It was the first single by his band Nazz (from Philly!), for which he was guitarist and primary songwriter but usually not lead singer, and is an extraordinarily powerful slice of psychedelic pop/rock. It achieved some notoriety, but the B-side actually became more popular on the radio; it's inferior to the version Todd re-recorded in the early '70s and turned into a massive hit, but I'm happy to have it anyway. 

Round 41: Nazz -- Open My Eyes

Year: 1968

Album: Nazz

B-side: Hello It's Me

I was waiting to see what Binky was gonna do re Todd, but I guess I'll make the first move.

This song was the world's first introduction to Todd Rundgren. It was the first single by his band Nazz (from Philly!), for which he was guitarist and primary songwriter but usually not lead singer, and is an extraordinarily powerful slice of psychedelic pop/rock. It achieved some notoriety, but the B-side actually became more popular on the radio; it's inferior to the version Todd re-recorded in the early '70s and turned into a massive hit, but I'm happy to have it anyway. 

I can't decide whether I like the UK release without the phasing effects better than the more familiar version

Did a double take that this (and another from that album) was still available - I had put it on the back burner because I knew the album was released in 2006, but then I found out the singles were released in 2007.

39.xx You Know I'm No Good - Amy Winehouse (2007)

The B-Side "Monkey Man" is interesting, but unless I have a Raggae back room it just won't fit my Juke.

thanks man!  

though the Nazz falls within the technical "one-hit wonder" requirements ...

I simply could not throw such a Todd-focused effort into my "one-hit wonder" pile.   :D

:thanks:      I love The Steep Canyon Rangers. They play just about every year at Merlefest, and the last time they played there their whole set was dedicated to different artists from NC. Governor Cooper declared 2019 The Year of Music, which recognizes many NC artists who have been influential over the decades. Anyway, one of the artists they recognized was Thelonious Monk, and here is Blue Monk bluegrass style. 🎻

:thanks:      I love The Steep Canyon Rangers. They play just about every year at Merlefest, and the last time they played there their whole set was dedicated to different artists from NC. Governor Cooper declared 2019 The Year of Music, which recognizes many NC artists who have been influential over the decades. Anyway, one of the artists they recognized was Thelonious Monk, and here is Blue Monk bluegrass style. 🎻
I wanted to take something from this show!  I had "Don't Let Your Deal Go Down" in mind, but then saw the live album for this was released in 2020, and I already took Dylan there.

I wanted to take something from this show!  I had "Don't Let Your Deal Go Down" in mind, but then saw the live album for this was released in 2020, and I already took Dylan there.
I didn't even know they made a live album from that show until you just wrote that.  :hifive:

I've closed out the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
Wow!  I still have one in each of those:  1961, 1975, and 1985.  I've had about a billion lined up for 1975 but then end up switching the artist to a different year because I figure I have a billion lined up for 1975.  Now I don't have any lined up for 1975.  Oops.   :lmao:  

41.ee - Long Time Comin' - Bruce Springsteen (2005)

My fourth decades of Springsteen selection brings us up to the 2000s.  The Boss turned 50 in 1999 and he got the band back together for a world tour.  He followed that up with The Rising three years later; an important but not particularly lovable Springsteen album.  Before the decade was through, he made two more studio albums with the E Street Band and a studio and live album with the Seeger Sessions band making this his most active decade in terms of released product.  I listened to the Seeger album in the first dog walking thread and haven't given it a thought since.  I guess you had to be there.

Long Time Comin' comes from my favorite Springsteen album of the decade, the more introspective Devils & Dust.  He gave it a prominent position in his Broadway show after an emotional segment talking about his father (again).

Well my daddy he was just a stranger
Lived in a hotel downtown
Well when I was a kid he was just somebody
Somebody I'd see around
Somebody I'd see around
Well now down below and pulling on my shirt
Yeah I got some kids of my own
Well if I had one wish for you in this god forsaken world, kid
It'd be that your mistakes will be your own
That your sins will be your own

I've always thought I don't like Bruce Springsteen, but Eephus's picks and write-ups make me think I should revisit.
He's an interesting man who's borrowed liberally from American mythology to create his own.  He tore some of that facade down in recent years as he bared his soul in his book and stage show but even then, he embraced sort of a mystic cowboy direction on Western Stars last year.

His late career albums aren't as consistently good as Dylan's or Young's but always contain a few songs that show what a gifted storyteller he is. 

Out of my wheelhouse, into my jukebox. R & B is usually the last thing I listen to, but this guy is just smooth as hell. He's undeniable. In case one is wondering about the sample, "laisse tomber les filles" is sung throughout.

Round 41.xx

*Free Play*

Artist: The Weeknd

Song: Montreal

Year: 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
It took me like five sittings to get through Springsteen on Broadway.  I'm sure it was mesmerizing on stage but it didn't translate to the small screen.

He has aged into a surprisingly good actor though.  If he could have acted like that in the 80s, he could have been a movie star (if that's what he wanted).

His late career albums aren't as consistently good as Dylan's or Young's but always contain a few songs that show what a gifted storyteller he is. 
Depends on how you define late career. Dylan has been mostly great since 1997 but his 80s stuff was mostly rough.

Neil had a second peak in the late 80s and early 90s and has put out some good stuff since then, but when I get to talking about the stuff that didn’t make my top 101, you’ll see I don’t have much good to say about his post-2012 output.

Depends on how you define late career. Dylan has been mostly great since 1997 but his 80s stuff was mostly rough.

Neil had a second peak in the late 80s and early 90s and has put out some good stuff since then, but when I get to talking about the stuff that didn’t make my top 101, you’ll see I don’t have much good to say about his post-2012 output.
I'm not as familiar with Neil's full catalog as you are so I'll take your word for it.  I listened to all of Dylan's studio albums last year and thought everything from 1992 on worked pretty well.  That's definitely not the case with Springsteen who's put out records containing a lot of turkey.

He's an interesting man who's borrowed liberally from American mythology to create his own.  He tore some of that facade down in recent years as he bared his soul in his book and stage show but even then, he embraced sort of a mystic cowboy direction on Western Stars last year.

I don't want to spotlight, but his 2006 album is one of my favorites by him. It is so well done, and it sounds like he had a blast paying tribute to the creator.

I don't want to spotlight, but his 2006 album is one of my favorites by him. It is so well done, and it sounds like he had a blast paying tribute to the creator.
It's not spotlighting if I can't tell which of three artists you're talking about

Users who are viewing this thread