What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2 Waiver Wire (1 Viewer)

HInes vs. Snell - Unless Conner is hurt worse than we think or somehow gets demoted, his role will be limited. Hines will have a more  prominent role in his offence regardless now that Mack is out. I'm targeting Snell OVER Hines, but only because I already have Conner. 

Malcolm Brown only owned by 18% in most leagues? I'm sure many of you gasp or some fo you chuckle who tucked him away very late just in case. 

Does he really have the starting spot nailed down or will he be sharing more time with the Rookie as the season progresses? He seems ready for red zone looks and touches. 
i feel that malcolm brown is fool's gold...henderson was out and cam is a rookie without the usual OTA, camp work.  plus Sean has said on multiple occasions how he wants a RBBC-3-headed beast like what the Niners did last year.  i read this all as the hot hand will reign and when henderson returns and akers gets up to speed, the 5th round draft pick will lose way to the draft capital spent on the other two guys.  short term, he might be OK, but long term i would rather have Hines or Kelley

i feel that malcolm brown is fool's gold...henderson was out and cam is a rookie without the usual OTA, camp work.  plus Sean has said on multiple occasions how he wants a RBBC-3-headed beast like what the Niners did last year.  i read this all as the hot hand will reign and when henderson returns and akers gets up to speed, the 5th round draft pick will lose way to the draft capital spent on the other two guys.  short term, he might be OK, but long term i would rather have Hines or Kelley
Hard to be fools gold when your coach loves you

As guys like Hines and Snell were drafted in my 14-man league where I'm a little thin on viable RBs, I don't think I'll have the priority to nab Brown. So for me the choice might be between Kelley and McKinnon.

I tend to agree with you, @Ministry of Pain that Coleman really hasn't flourished and that McKinnon will still have a role. Could also be it's Mostert that simply takes the job, or we see devolution to a 3-headed monster.

I also agree with @Skoo that while Ekeler is healthy, Kelley's upside might be capped, but his usage is pretty compelling.

Also wonder, despite my RB need, whether it's a guy like Parris Campbell who is the real target here. Heard nothing but stellar things out of camp, and he showed promise in real game time. Feels like this year's Chark and getting him now in Week 1 may actually be sharkier as people's focus is more on the RBs.

Long term and on a weekly flex basis, who do you think has more value, McKinnon or Kelley? And are either inferior long term value to Campbell?

@socrates agree on Booker -- need to eat crow on that as Booker looked surprisingly solid in his reps whereas I just thought of him as NFL roster depth. I still don't think he's a FF pick-up unless you own Jacobs as a cuff. 
Paris Campbell is my WR target.   

How do we feel about Tre’Quan Smith? Looks like he’s going to get some significant snaps for the next few weeks. 

ETA: This is a deep bench league, 12 teams, 20 roster spots. 

Last edited by a moderator:
for those considering Brown, Henderson is still in the mix as well and this is looking more an more like the three headed monster it was expected to be. at least that's the storyline i had bought into and why i avoided this backfield. Henderson is still coming off of his hamstring injury, so hard to say if Brown would have been as featured if Henderson hadn't missed camp. Cam will get better as time goes on too. short term, i do like Brown, but maybe for a week or two at best. doesn't look like a season winner here. mcvay is a mini-payton too in that he'll probably drive all of you nuts trying to use these backs in some god-awful "creative" ways.
McVay in the offseason expressed admiration for how Kyle Shanahan handles his backfield with multiple guys having different strengths and using all of them. He might have outright stated he wanted a backfield like Shanahan has in SF - can’t remember and can’t find the exact quote. 

I don’t think Brown goes away, but I also think they’ll look to get Akers more and more involved, and I think Henderson will still play some. If you need an immediate starter, Brown is playable for now. Maybe he’s playable all year, for that matter, or maybe this just becomes a mess. He’s available in one league for me, and I’ve thought about blowing the budget but ultimately think I’ll hold off. 

As for Tevin Coleman hate, the guy almost didn’t play due to his sickle cell trait and the horrific air quality in SF (that just caused a Giants game to be postponed).  I wouldn’t read too much into his lack of a significant role just yet. 

Myles Gaskin ... I’m still not 100% sure what to make of this. Snaps favored him, touches favored him, and he produced. Reports are he’s been a training camp standout and has practiced extremely well, which earns opportunity for Flores. 

Howard is a slight step above JAG, and there seem to be conflicting reports on whether he strained a hamstring or they just went away from him. Even before they abandoned the power running, Gaskin was playing third down snaps and running routes. Maybe he’s already got that role locked down as Howard isn’t much of a receiver and Breida has never been much of one either (though it seems he should be better as a receiver).  Then when they went to 11 personnel, it was almost entirely Gaskin. Do they stay in 11 moving forward? Especially with a banged up Parker?

Additionally, I found the coaches comments to be odd. Flores basically said they went with the hot hand and will continue to do so. Chan Gailey said they all have roles and Gaskin’s was a product of going to the 11 personnel package. 

So now what?  Maybe he’s a poor man’s Hines or Cohen if he’s getting third down work. I’m almost positive he was also top-5 in all RBs this week in percentage of team drop backs where he ran a route, so maybe he’s got a little James White value too?  The question is whether he continues to dominate snaps and carries. 

My guess is he’s available in almost every dynasty, and while a lot will sit this one out because of team context and a muddled opportunity, I wonder if we’ll look back at this like we looked at Phillip Lindsay after week 1 a few years ago and wish we’d bid more. 

I didn't see any mention of Scotty Miller.  Brady was locked on to him quite often, and we know how Tom loves those lil shifty receivers.
I was gonna put a dollar bid on him preemptively last week but didn't.  He's had nice buzz during camp and Brady has said good things about him. I heard he came close to a long TD catch as well. I decided not to pick him up because I looked at all the weapons on that roster and felt what's the point. Maybe he has a consistent roll going forward. He obviously benefited from Evans being dinged up and it was Gronk's first game in a while. He will probably have some solid games but will mostly be a bye week fill in. He could come through if Godwin or Evans were to miss time.

I'd be curious to hear what type of FAAB people would spend on him. 

I also think we may be underrating MVS a bit. He had almost 1/3 of the Packers total air yards on Sunday on just six targets, had two outright drops, one of which should’ve been a 61-yard TD, and the other would’ve been another big gain. For context, Adams had 42% of their air yards on 17 targets. Not all targets are created equally as we know ... targets way down the field are worth more (which is why air yards have become somewhat predictive), and Aaron Rodgers targets (when he’s playing like an MVP candidate) are worth more than usual too. 

MVS was 9th in the NFL in air yards with an aDOT of 21.5.  Maybe everyone expecting the break out last year was just a year too early? There were rumors he was a different guy in camp, and rumors he was banged up last year after having some early success. 

Gage is worth having on your roster if you have room as he has shown ability in the past, but he is only really going to be someone you could possibly start if either Ridley or Jones goes down.

I can't believe that the Logan Thomas Experience might finally be here.
I'm the king of thinking about preemptively picking up a player and not doing it. I was gonna pick up Logan but I already had Jonnu and Jarwin. Now I just have Jonnu.

I also think we may be underrating MVS a bit. He had almost 1/3 of the Packers total air yards on Sunday on just six targets, had a horrid drop, and was overthrown on another bomb that should’ve been a TD. For context, Adams had 42% of their air yards on 17 targets. Not all targets are created equally as we know ... targets way down the field are worth more (which is why air yards have become somewhat predictive), and Aaron Rodgers targets (when he’s playing like an MVP candidate) are worth more than usual too. 

MVS was 9th in the NFL in air yards with an aDOT of 21.5.  Maybe everyone expecting the break out last year was just a year too early? There were rumors he was a different guy in camp, and rumors he was banged up last year after having some early success. 
He got some nice love on the bench from Rogers which you don't see often.

I also think we may be underrating MVS a bit. He had almost 1/3 of the Packers total air yards on Sunday on just six targets, had a horrid drop, and was overthrown on another bomb that should’ve been a TD. For context, Adams had 42% of their air yards on 17 targets. Not all targets are created equally as we know ... targets way down the field are worth more (which is why air yards have become somewhat predictive), and Aaron Rodgers targets (when he’s playing like an MVP candidate) are worth more than usual too. 

I like this reply. Great factoids.

I also think we may be underrating MVS a bit. He had almost 1/3 of the Packers total air yards on Sunday on just six targets, had two outright drops, one of which should’ve been a 61-yard TD, and the other would’ve been another big gain. For context, Adams had 42% of their air yards on 17 targets. Not all targets are created equally as we know ... targets way down the field are worth more (which is why air yards have become somewhat predictive), and Aaron Rodgers targets (when he’s playing like an MVP candidate) are worth more than usual too. 

MVS definitely has some post hype appeal for sure. 

Paris Campbell is my WR target.   
So, in a manner of speaking, he's your huckleberry? 

(Sorry, couldn't resist). 

I am getting FOMO on him despite my need to shore up my RBs. Do you think Parris is a better long term hold than Brandin Cooks?

Myles Gaskin ... I’m still not 100% sure what to make of this.

So now what?  Maybe he’s a poor man’s Hines or Cohen
I think Gaskin is a really intriguing play. I highly doubt that outside of this board is clued in on him, so we may be able to buy a week. Or at least nab him after waivers run during the week. But I am keeping an eye on this situation, as this might be a good example of a guy coming out of nowhere to consistently get the lion's share of carries in a backfield.

And by the way? As a guy who drafted Cohen in a PPR? Cohen looks like the poor man's Cohen. 

I was gonna put a dollar bid on him preemptively last week but didn't.  He's had nice buzz during camp and Brady has said good things about him. I heard he came close to a long TD catch as well. I decided not to pick him up because I looked at all the weapons on that roster and felt what's the point. Maybe he has a consistent roll going forward. He obviously benefited from Evans being dinged up and it was Gronk's first game in a while. He will probably have some solid games but will mostly be a bye week fill in. He could come through if Godwin or Evans were to miss time.

I'd be curious to hear what type of FAAB people would spend on him. 
I am avoiding. I do think this was a case of Gronk/Evans not being up to par. Can he be the Edelman to Brady in TB? Maybe, but my sense is there is too much talent at wideout already and too many hands for this guy to be a reliable contributor.

Well had a plan til hearing the Thomas news and having Parker nursing the hamstring.  So all of a sudden the WR targets are starting to move ahead of a guy like Goedert (yes, he is available because many of the 10 teams in the league don't carry a backup TE...I was possibly going to...but now that seems like a luxury)...so now I move on to the Paris Campbell, Lazard, MVS, Emmanuel Sanders territory this week.

Still no clue which way I go there.

Well had a plan til hearing the Thomas news and having Parker nursing the hamstring.  So all of a sudden the WR targets are starting to move ahead of a guy like Goedert (yes, he is available because many of the 10 teams in the league don't carry a backup TE...I was possibly going to...but now that seems like a luxury)...so now I move on to the Paris Campbell, Lazard, MVS, Emmanuel Sanders territory this week.

I’m no Matthew Berry, but I would put Sanders way ahead of those other guys if you’re looking short term at WR. 

Gimme all the Parris Campbell. I already owned him everywhere or I’d be going hard after him. 

Myles Gaskin ... I’m still not 100% sure what to make of this. Snaps favored him, touches favored him, and he produced. Reports are he’s been a training camp standout and has practiced extremely well, which earns opportunity for Flores. 

Howard is a slight step above JAG, and there seem to be conflicting reports on whether he strained a hamstring or they just went away from him. Even before they abandoned the power running, Gaskin was playing third down snaps and running routes. Maybe he’s already got that role locked down as Howard isn’t much of a receiver and Breida has never been much of one either (though it seems he should be better as a receiver).  Then when they went to 11 personnel, it was almost entirely Gaskin. Do they stay in 11 moving forward? Especially with a banged up Parker?

Additionally, I found the coaches comments to be odd. Flores basically said they went with the hot hand and will continue to do so. Chan Gailey said they all have roles and Gaskin’s was a product of going to the 11 personnel package. 

So now what?  Maybe he’s a poor man’s Hines or Cohen if he’s getting third down work. I’m almost positive he was also top-5 in all RBs this week in percentage of team drop backs where he ran a route, so maybe he’s got a little James White value too?  The question is whether he continues to dominate snaps and carries. 

My guess is he’s available in almost every dynasty, and while a lot will sit this one out because of team context and a muddled opportunity, I wonder if we’ll look back at this like we looked at Phillip Lindsay after week 1 a few years ago and wish we’d bid more. 
Here are the tweets I was referring to:

One of 15 RBs to play over 60% of his team’s snaps

Ran a route on 65% of his team’s drop backs

That 65% figure tied for fifth in the NFL with Ekeler, behind only CMC, David Johnson, Alvin Kamara, and Saquon Barkley. 

Got Robinson for 10% of my FAAB
Not sure why Robinson isn't talked about more in this thread.

16 for 62, 3.9 avg, 1 for 28 receiving.

Minshew is keeping this team competitive and this guy did everything you would want in an all-round running back.  At the least he looks like he will have some job security and a solid floor for a while.

Not sure why Robinson isn't talked about more in this thread.

16 for 62, 3.9 avg, 1 for 28 receiving.

Minshew is keeping this team competitive and this guy did everything you would want in an all-round running back.  At the least he looks like he will have some job security and a solid floor for a while.
I agree, Minshew is the key.  One of those guys without a pedigree that comes in and just competes, and competes at a high level.  He is making everyone else around him better, and with his receiving weapons, a guy like Robinson will benefit when defenses have to respect their passing attack.

I play in a 12-team non-PPR league, and the guys I'd target with apparently solid long-term roles with upside:

Malcolm Brown, RB - Leader of a RB committee, he doubled up Akers in snaps as the incumbent vet with the goal line work this should be the trend for 4-5 games as Akers gets up to speed and Henderson recovers. If he outright wins the role (he balls out and Akers has rookie growing pains)... hooo boy you have a potential RB1 right there. However Cam would have to fail hard for that to happen; this team will involve Cam more as he picks up the playbook.

Nyheim Hines, RB - Remember Austin Ekeler? Hines and his sub 4.4 speed mesh well with Phillip Rivers pop-gun arm and dumpoff proficiency. Colts announced Taylor/Hines/Jordan Wilkins as the new RB rotation so Hines role is guaranteed. If he gets 7-9 carries and 5+ receptions a game that to me is a upside Flex and even more if you play PPR.

Parris Campbell, WR - Another beneficiary of Rivers popgun-arm, there's some discount Keenan Allen potential there with his speed (4.31 40 time) and elusiveness now that he's finally healthy. 9 targets should cement his status as upside WR3 with a few gimmick plays thrown in.  

Logan Thomas, TE - Not a lot of pass-catchers in this O and Haskins won't pass too much, but Thomas (6'6, 250 with good athleticism and massive hands) could become the #2 weapon in this O. Already a red zone threat, I could see him trend into TE1 territory with a few more high target games.

Goedert available in my league and would be looking hard at him had I not already have Andrews. Unless I had Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, or Waller, I would be thinking through carrying two TEs. Totally against my nature to burn a bench spot like that, but Goedert seems like the real deal even with Ertz healed, and streaming TEs based on matchups worked out for me last year when Engram was a complete no-show for the season. Having two guys to platoon without worrying about scraping the bottom of the barrel seems sound. Goedert and Fant seem like an ideal duo.

But on to your q, Campbell and Sanders by a good step (in that order), then MVS and a step down to Lazard for ROS.

For next week? Sanders, Campbell, MVS, Lazard.

I'm in a 12 team 20 man roster ppr league. How would you rank these guy's? I'm ok with my starting 3 WR's but super thin after that. 

MVS

V Jefferson

S Miller

M Boykin

Trequan Smith.

Gaskins over Boston Scott in PPR? 

Dodds seems really high on Scott, and I was too going into this year seeing what he could do in relief of Sanders. Thought he could be a Sproles-type guy with consistent looks regardless of Sanders. Scott got dinged so hard to tell, but seems like Gaskins has a clearer path to meaningful consistent carries.

Gaskins over Boston Scott in PPR? 

Dodds seems really high on Scott, and I was too going into this year seeing what he could do in relief of Sanders. Thought he could be a Sproles-type guy with consistent looks regardless of Sanders. Scott got dinged so hard to tell, but seems like Gaskins has a clearer path to meaningful consistent carries.
I'd take the chance on Gaskins as he has less in his way; Sanders is very good, though health is a concern. No idea if Gaskins is that good but they went with him over the other guys for a reason. 

In my main $ league we have a $200 faab, one owner went in hard on Malcolm Brown $99, and Paris Campbell $92. Another went $103 on Hines.

i guess get em if you want em, but damn!

Last month of the offseason the Steelers made it pretty clear it was going to be Snell. Last night's game cemented that. Conner says it wasn't that bad and he hopes to return "soon", but Snell is gonna be the man for as long as he's out. 

Worth noting that Snell outplayed him before he got hurt, so probably a good speculative add regardless. 
he's more than a speculative add! he's a stud in the making. When was the last time Conner lasted more than ,say, 3-4 games without an injury? Snell may not be the flashy back, but he plays in an offense that doesnt use RBBC, that has it's franchise QB looking like his old self, along with JuJu doing his thing.Snell should easily be the WW pickup of the year and a solid low end RB1 in all formats likely to end the season as a top 10 player at his position.

Deebo Samuel for the long term. McKinnon for the short term and he has a chance to contribute all season long.

Hines of course.

Ryan Tannethrill

A.  Gibson if not already rostered

Any dynasty leagues run waivers already?  Would love some idea of what Gaskin and MVS went for in FAAB. 

In my main $ league we have a $200 faab, one owner went in hard on Malcolm Brown $99, and Paris Campbell $92. Another went $103 on Hines.

i guess get em if you want em, but damn!
I spent 100% of my budget on Malcolm Brown lol.  I feel good about the rest of my  roster and I love RBs. :D :shrug:

Any dynasty leagues run waivers already?  Would love some idea of what Gaskin and MVS went for in FAAB. 
12-team PPR:

I bid $37 for Gaskin and won (backup was only $3).  

I bid $17 for MVS and won (backup was $6)

Goedert available in my league and would be looking hard at him had I not already have Andrews. Unless I had Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, or Waller, I would be thinking through carrying two TEs. Totally against my nature to burn a bench spot like that, but Goedert seems like the real deal even with Ertz healed, and streaming TEs based on matchups worked out for me last year when Engram was a complete no-show for the season. Having two guys to platoon without worrying about scraping the bottom of the barrel seems sound. Goedert and Fant seem like an ideal duo.

But on to your q, Campbell and Sanders by a good step (in that order), then MVS and a step down to Lazard for ROS.

Small-league guys like me appreciate these posts.  Picking amongst these guys is a different sort of challenge as generally you are giving someone the boot.  I picked up Gogurt and Emmanuel Sanders for Jonnu Smith and Preston Williams (again 8-team league so only 120 guys total on rosters).  Need the short term upside of Sanders in my line-up as I overdid it punting WRs.

Opted Sanders over Campbell and Warkins.

Hanging on to Swift even thought I may start him 0 times. (Can keep 2 and he could end up vaulting way up the chart by year's end)

-QG

Which one of the GB WRs? That's been the question for a few years. I'd go with MVS since he was #1 last year until he got injured and he's the one with speed.
I didn’t see whole game but it looked like Rogers had all day to pass. This extra time allowed MVS to get open. I’m concerned when they play  a team with a good defense it will be more short targets with Lazard and Adams. Minnesota seems to have bad db’s and no pass rush without Hunter. 

MVS scares me because this could be his year 3 breakout or just a boom game in what was a great matchup. He seems to drop the ball a lot. I don’t mind having him as my number 5 for bye weeks and boom or bust flex plays.

I ended up deciding to try and get Goedert (was last in waiver priority)...and ended up getting him.  I have Cook (who should benefit well from Thomas being out).  Sanders was grabbed before I had a chance anyway and as I figured the RBs (Snell, Hines, Barber) went quick.

Campbell, Lazard, MVS all still there as is randomly Preston Williams (just noticed that).

Tons of guys in this league have people Id easily toss back into FA...Im struggling to find another unless I unload Goff (my backup to Brady) or Sony Michel (my 5th RB behind Jacobs, Mostert, Gurley and RoJo).  RoJo being the reason I am not happy with that RB depth now (drafted pre-Fournette).

Ive had Sony queued up to drop several times...already having Parker I had avoided the unicorn...but not sure I can afford to with injuries.

I didn’t see whole game but it looked like Rogers had all day to pass. This extra time allowed MVS to get open. I’m concerned when they play  a team with a good defense it will be more short targets with Lazard and Adams. Minnesota seems to have bad db’s and no pass rush without Hunter. 

MVS scares me because this could be his year 3 breakout or just a boom game in what was a great matchup. He seems to drop the ball a lot. I don’t mind having him as my number 5 for bye weeks and boom or bust flex plays.
I think he is that boom or bust.  Lazard playing more snaps and is more the guy IMO that Rodgers looks to when Adams gets bracketed.  PPR for sure Id say Lazard on the season.

Some of these responses must come from 8 team leagues.
I’ve noticed when I watch youtube vids, podcasts or read articles they all cater to shallow leagues. I get the obvious pick ups But what about taking a deeper dive for the deeper leagues? 

Good analysis. MVS came within 2 yards of having a 2-TD day, and they say he dropped another possible TD. I remember when the 3rd WR in GB had value. His route tree is limited, but with all the attention paid to Adams and the RBs , I'm almost ready to take a chance. For The first 7 games last year, he was on pace for a decent year.

Good analysis. MVS came within 2 yards of having a 2-TD day, and they say he dropped another possible TD. I remember when the 3rd WR in GB had value. His route tree is limited, but with all the attention paid to Adams and the RBs , I'm almost ready to take a chance. For The first 7 games last year, he was on pace for a decent year.
He could be the real deal this year on what could be torch the earth Rogers tour. I probably won’t get him because I think someone will pay 30% faab or more in my league. 

Every year it's a pissing match and the "no way that guy should be on the WW, you must play in a 4 man league" type stuff is the worst......

I have no doubt many on here wouldn't like my leagues, as they are completely unique......but I love that about them......and yes, they are smaller, and there tends to be a fair amount on the wire based on that, and our roster size.....we do that on purpose.....we also limit the availability of the guys on the wire way more than a typical yahoo league.....again, it's by design.....we put emphasis on ww moves being a valuable resource, instead of allowing a free for all......we trade waiver picks......we do bidding wars.......we charge real money for waiver moves......it's great
correct, it really makes no difference.    I played in a 28 team league with a single player pool one year, backup FB's had value.    I played in 8 team league one year as well.    The dynamics were totally different, and the waiver wire and roster management strategies were vastly different obviously.     Yakking on here about how your league is different than someone else's is a waste of time. 

Users who are viewing this thread