What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Staff Mock Draft 8/26 (1 Viewer)

Am I too high on J. Jones? I'd take him in the 4th round without hesitation. Him going in the 7th round is shocking to me.I got this from the Cowboy official site but it leaves me believing that Jones will be the primary back:'Parcells has stopped short of naming rookie Julius Jones his starting running back, but did admit Thursday veteran Eddie George would not be carrying a heavy load. "Eddie will be in the mix," Parcells said. "He'll get some carries, but it's not what he's used to getting." As for Jones, Parcells said he'd get what he can handle, and that number hasn't been established yet.'
I took quite a ribbing for grabing Jones in the 7th. :football:

Last edited by a moderator:
12.03 135 Shick! Hilliard, Ike NYG WR Surprise, surprise. If a shrink gave me the word association test and said Hilliard, I'd reply Shick!

Am I too high on J. Jones? I'd take him in the 4th round without hesitation. Him going in the 7th round is shocking to me.I got this from the Cowboy official site but it leaves me believing that Jones will be the primary back:'Parcells has stopped short of naming rookie Julius Jones his starting running back, but did admit Thursday veteran Eddie George would not be carrying a heavy load. "Eddie will be in the mix," Parcells said. "He'll get some carries, but it's not what he's used to getting." As for Jones, Parcells said he'd get what he can handle, and that number hasn't been established yet.'
You wouldn't believe the ribbing I took for grabing Jones in the 7th. :football:
I can see making fun of someone for picking Jones, but in the 7th? Two and a half rounds after Eddie went? They should be making fun of your starting WRs instead.

I can see making fun of someone for picking Jones, but in the 7th? Two and a half rounds after Eddie went? They should be making fun of your starting WRs instead.
I don't think people were making fun of the pick...rather that he called him the starter.

12.03 135 Shick! Hilliard, Ike NYG WR Surprise, surprise. If a shrink gave me the word association test and said Hilliard, I'd reply Shick!
I'll never believe that Toomer is that much better than Hilliard. Ike and I are tight.

13.07 151 Anderson/Drugrunner Wilkins, Jeff STL PK Geez DR, if you're going to be a guppy at least take a kicker from a team that will be able to score this year.

I have alreay run a number of drafts this year and it would be my pleasure to take you guys to the woodshed! It may be called "Da Guru`s Footballguys" when I am done!

13.10 154 Shick! Bennett, Drew TEN WR Thu Aug 26 10:00:34 p.m. ET 2004 13.11 155 Overton Hollings, Tony HOU RB Thu Aug 26 10:02:22 p.m. ET 2004 13.12 156 Rudnicki Maddox, Tommy PIT QB Thu Aug 26 10:03:10 p.m. ET 2004 14.01 157 Rudnicki Johnson, Kevin BAL WR Thu Aug 26 10:03:50 p.m. ET 2004 Final some guys with their thinking caps on.

Smith and LHUCKS are still tops in the draft, but while Levin's moving up,
Smith and Levin ran away with this thing. It started happening in the 5th. Got better in the 7th and locked up in the 9th. It's about over.

Oh, how I hate to say this... I like everything about LHUCKS' draft except for picking Kennison early (could have gotten him at least a round later) and picking William Green at all. Martin is a lot better with Pennington in there than you guys are giving him credit for.

McNair, Steve TEN QB - 9 5.02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Green, William CLE RB - 8 9.02

Holmes, Priest KCC RB - 5 1.02

Martin, Curtis NYJ RB - 3 2.11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boldin, Anquan ARI WR - 6 10.11

Johnson, Andre HOU WR - 7 4.11

Kennison, Eddie KCC WR - 5 8.11

Smith, Steve CAR WR - 3 3.02

Stallworth, Donte' NOS WR - 8 6.11

Winslow, Kellen CLE TE - 8 7.02

10 Total Players
I love his WRs, but I think the rest of his team will be spending too much time in the tub. Actually the WRs are too strong as I wouldn't know which ones to start.
isn't Boldin out until at least week 8?Stallworth will probably miss some time as well. I don't think he'll be staying up late too many nights wondering which 3 to start. They are average at best as a group. :X

For the record...if this draft goest the full 20...with my last two picks I take Blaylock and Chris Simms.

Oh, how I hate to say this... I like everything about LHUCKS' draft except for picking Kennison early (could have gotten him at least a round later) and picking William Green at all.  Martin is a lot better with Pennington in there than you guys are giving him credit for.

McNair, Steve TEN QB - 9 5.02

Green, William CLE RB - 8 9.02

Holmes, Priest KCC RB - 5 1.02

Martin, Curtis NYJ RB - 3 2.11

Boldin, Anquan ARI WR - 6 10.11

Johnson, Andre HOU WR - 7 4.11

Kennison, Eddie KCC WR - 5 8.11

Smith, Steve CAR WR - 3 3.02

Stallworth, Donte' NOS WR - 8 6.11

Winslow, Kellen CLE TE - 8 7.02

10 Total Players
I love his WRs, but I think the rest of his team will be spending too much time in the tub. Actually the WRs are too strong as I wouldn't know which ones to start.
isn't Boldin out until at least week 8?Stallworth will probably miss some time as well. I don't think he'll be staying up late too many nights wondering which 3 to start. They are average at best as a group. :X
A) Boldin could be back as early as week 5B) I agree with Stallworth

C) I take upside at WR in any league that has a waiver wire

A) Boldin could be back as early as week 5B) I agree with StallworthC) I take upside at WR in any league that has a waiver wire
Link to week 5 rumor?... please.Also, I like your team but saying the WR's are your great is a reach. Boldin is out until week 8 at a minimum until I see otherwise. Stallworth is constantly on the IR. Smith is solid but probably will not live up to his draft position there.Johnson is a good pick.Kennison is okay, but no upside.

A) Boldin could be back as early as week 5B) I agree with StallworthC) I take upside at WR in any league that has a waiver wire
Link to week 5 rumor?... please.Also, I like your team but saying the WR's are your great is a reach. Boldin is out until week 8 at a minimum until I see otherwise. Stallworth is constantly on the IR. Smith is solid but probably will not live up to his draft position there.Johnson is a good pick.Kennison is okay, but no upside.
My WRs could be my strength, but at this point are slightly above average probably. I think the strength of my team is balance.My weakness is RB depth. Anybody who has quality RB depth is weak at WR or QB...or at least they should be...haven't looked at rosters yet in great detail.

Nice value picks =3.07 31 Anderson/Drugrunner Davis, Stephen CAR RB 3.11 35 Overton Staley, Duce PIT RB 4.02 38 Overton Jackson, Darrell SEA WR :will out perform S. Smith this year:4.05 41 Levin Moss, Santana NYJ WR 5.08 56 Levin Smith, Jimmy JAC WR 7.07 79 Anderson/Drugrunner Jones, Julius DAL RB 10.07 115 Koehler (ffweasel) Delhomme, Jake CAR QB 10.08 116 Henry Carr, David HOU QB 12.01 133 Rudnicki Booker, Marty MIA WR 12.10 142 Henderson Hearst, Garrison DEN RB 14.05 161 Levin McCardell, Keenan TBB WR

My draft is done:QB: Brooks, FavreRB: FTaylor, M Bennett, C Brown, E Smith, L Toefield, Antowain SmithWR: SMoss, JSmith, IBruce, RGardner, K McCardellTE: GrahamD: PhillyK: ViniterriIn a "real" league I'd have taken b/u K, D and TE, and I'd have one more WR and one less RB. I drafted from the 8 spot, and I took Fred T over Moss/Harrison as I knew the draft would be stupid RB heavy up top. I backed up all my RBs, I have a great three-wide lineup, and Gardner filling in on bye weeks (he doesn't share a bye with any of my starters) makes my WR crew deep every week - when McCardell signs, I'll be even more solid. My QBs are great - solid as anything I could hope for.I have no weaknesses as far as I can tell except if Graham stumbles - and in a "real" draft I would have backed up Graham pretty quickly with either Jeremy Stevens, Jason Whitten, Freddie Jones or Erin Kinney.Except for Gray snaking two of my selections, I feel I did pretty darned well.I think I got good value throughout the draft and I have very little risk on my team - though very little tremendous upside, there is good upside potential with SMoss Bennett and CBrown. I think this is an extremely competitive crew in a head to head league with just about any team.

Gotta run so I'll make this quick. Love my squad.Smith's Goon SquadOwner: Chris Smith Player YTD Pts Bye Drafted Harrington, Joey DET QB - 4 11.01 Vick, Michael ATL QB - 9 4.12 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Fargas, Justin OAK RB - 10 16.12 George, Eddie DAL RB - 4 5.01 McGahee, Willis BUF RB - 3 6.12 Thomas, Anthony CHI RB - 5 10.12 Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB - 10 1.01 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Driver, Donald GBP WR - 9 9.01 Owens, Terrell PHI WR - 5 2.12 Ward, Hines PIT WR - 7 3.01 Warrick, Peter CIN WR - 5 8.12 Wilson, Cedrick SFO WR - 7 14.12 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Franks, Bubba GBP TE - 9 15.01 Shockey, Jeremy NYG TE - 6 7.01 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Elam, Jason DEN PK - 10 13.01 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cowboys, Dallas DAL Def - 4 12. Drafting from # 1, don't be afraid to go against the grain despite what the runs are doing. You'll notice a few times that I bucked the trend and went in a different direction. That allowed me to lead the way at a number of positions (First RB of course, then WR, then RB, then QB/TE and it results in a pretty strong draft. My team has a weakness at RB#2 (was hoping for a little better option than George to be available there) but the rest of the roster is pretty good. I think this team would be able to go 10-4 or better during the regular season.

Anderson/Drugrunner Player YTD Pts Bye Drafted Garcia, Jeff CLE QB - 8 8.06 Hasselbeck, Matt SEA QB - 4 4.06 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Barber, Tiki NYG RB - 6 2.06 Davis, Stephen CAR RB - 3 3.07 James, Edgerrin IND RB - 6 1.07 Jones, Julius DAL RB - 4 7.07 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Burleson, Nate MIN WR - 4 16.06 Clayton, Michael TBB WR - 8 14.06 Glenn, Terry DAL WR - 4 11.07 Northcutt, Dennis CLE WR - 8 12.06 Robinson, Koren SEA WR - 4 5.07 Walker, Javon GBP WR - 9 6.06 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Clark, Desmond CHI TE - 5 15.07 McMichael, Randy MIA TE - 10 9.07 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wilkins, Jeff STL PK - 8 13.07 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Patriots, New England NEP Def - 3 10.06 16 Total Players I really struggled at the 7.7 pick between Foster to shore up my Davis selection, and Jones. I took Jones.Only real player I got snaked on was Johnson, Kevin BAL WR, I should have taken him in the 13th, but I was confident he would slide.Overjoyed with my QBs and RBs (I haven't looked, but I could easily have the strongest in the Draft). I really need McCardell to play in the CFL this season, and Marcus Robinson to be a total flop.

Reaches:2.07 19 Koehler (ffweasel) Faulk, Marshall STL RB 2.11 23 LHUCKS Martin, Curtis NYJ RB 5.01 49 Smith's Goon Squad George, Eddie DAL RB :rotflmao: 5.03 51 Henderson Chambers, Chris MIA WR5.05 53 Henry Rogers, Charles DET WR 6.04 64 Gray Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR 7.12 84 Rudnicki Bulger, Marc STL QB 9.04 100 Wimer's Tabula Rasa Terrell, David CHI WR :wall: 9.06 102 Koehler (ffweasel) Lelie, Ashley DEN WR :terrible:9.10 106 Shick! Morgan, Quincy CLE WR :most over rated player in recent memory:12.02 134 Overton Witten, Jason DAL TE 15.04 172 Wimer's Tabula Rasa Colbert, Keary CAR WR :Mike Williams has a better shot at fantasy stardom in '04:

My draft is done:QB: Brooks, FavreRB: FTaylor, M Bennett, C Brown, E Smith, L Toefield, Antowain SmithWR: SMoss, JSmith, IBruce, RGardner, K McCardellTE: GrahamD: PhillyK: ViniterriIn a "real" league I'd have taken b/u K, D and TE, and I'd have one more WR and one less RB. I drafted from the 8 spot, and I took Fred T over Moss/Harrison as I knew the draft would be stupid RB heavy up top. I backed up all my RBs, I have a great three-wide lineup, and Gardner filling in on bye weeks (he doesn't share a bye with any of my starters) makes my WR crew deep every week - when McCardell signs, I'll be even more solid. My QBs are great - solid as anything I could hope for.I have no weaknesses as far as I can tell except if Graham stumbles - and in a "real" draft I would have backed up Graham pretty quickly with either Jeremy Stevens, Jason Whitten, Freddie Jones or Erin Kinney.Except for Gray snaking two of my selections, I feel I did pretty darned well.I think I got good value throughout the draft and I have very little risk on my team - though very little tremendous upside, there is good upside potential with SMoss Bennett and CBrown. I think this is an extremely competitive crew in a head to head league with just about any team.
Marc,Maybe you have answered this before but do you think Toefield is a better handcuff to Fred T over Greg Jones at this point in time?

Nice value picks =14.05 161 Levin McCardell, Keenan TBB WR
playing in Tampa or the CFL?
hopefully in Tampa, but in the 14th round there are not many players left that are difference makers. the guy might be a wasted pick or he might help you win the league. I like that option in the 14th. Great pick IMO.

Reaches:2.07 19 Koehler (ffweasel) Faulk, Marshall STL RB 2.11 23 LHUCKS Martin, Curtis NYJ RB 5.01 49 Smith's Goon Squad George, Eddie DAL RB :rotflmao: 5.03 51 Henderson Chambers, Chris MIA WR5.05 53 Henry Rogers, Charles DET WR 6.04 64 Gray Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR 7.12 84 Rudnicki Bulger, Marc STL QB 9.04 100 Wimer's Tabula Rasa Terrell, David CHI WR :wall: 9.06 102 Koehler (ffweasel) Lelie, Ashley DEN WR :terrible:9.10 106 Shick! Morgan, Quincy CLE WR :most over rated player in recent memory:12.02 134 Overton Witten, Jason DAL TE 15.04 172 Wimer's Tabula Rasa Colbert, Keary CAR WR :Mike Williams has a better shot at fantasy stardom in '04:
So I had no reaches, huh? Great!

My draft is done:QB: Brooks, FavreRB: FTaylor, M Bennett, C Brown, E Smith, L Toefield, Antowain SmithWR: SMoss, JSmith, IBruce, RGardner, K McCardellTE: GrahamD: PhillyK: Viniterri
Very nice team.I like all of the picks except Emmit.This team is the definition of balanced.Very solid all the way through. :thumbup:Edit: Very nice running backs... wow.

Marc,Maybe you have answered this before but do you think Toefield is a better handcuff to Fred T over Greg Jones at this point in time?
YES!! I do not see Greg Jones having much fantasy value in 2004 - he is NOT going to get the starting roile if Fred T goes down b/c everything I've read is that he looks slow, he has always had hands of stone and that has not improved, and he is still not 100% back from his previous injury. If FredT is injured, Toefield, not Jones, will be the starter.I give Greg Jones a year or two to develop and heal up and he might compete with Toefield to start in '06 and be like the Bus.

I guess I didn't either. ;)

14.07 163 Koehler (ffweasel) Williams, Roy DET WR All rookies, all the time.
Yep. Sad display at WR. Last 2 WRs taken were rooks and of course I drafted the bust Lelie. I think I'll do alright with the rest of them however. Obviously I believe that my strength will be at RB. My QBs are average. Had this been a real league I would have probably taken a 3rd QB. WRs are average with potential. This team would be competitive in a real league imo. .
Code:
Koehler (ffweasel) Player YTD Pts Bye Drafted Delhomme, Jake CAR QB - 3 10.07 Plummer, Jake DEN QB - 10 8.07 Faulk, Marshall STL RB - 8 2.07 Jackson, Steven STL RB - 8 7.06 Johnson, Rudi CIN RB - 5 3.06 Jones, Greg JAC RB - 9 13.06 Portis, Clinton WAS RB - 7 1.06 Coles, Laveranues WAS WR - 7 4.07 Lelie, Ashley DEN WR - 10 9.06 Porter, Jerry OAK WR - 10 5.06 Toomer, Amani NYG WR - 6 6.07 Williams, Reggie JAC WR - 9 11.06 Williams, Roy DET WR - 4 14.07 Kinney, Erron TEN TE - 9 12.07 Akers, David PHI PK - 5 15.06 Jaguars, Jacksonville JAC Def - 9 16.07

I like all of the picks except Emmit.
My Emmitt pick, IIRC, was supposed to be D Foster , excepty for Clayton "Snake" Gray got him right in front of me.Figured it couldn't hurt at that point to have a RB4 who is actually starting for his team.

Toefield is the handcuff if Taylor is hurt. If Taylor has no issues, Toefield is pretty worthless. Jones plays a minor role either way.

Bennett's a little overhyped right now, I didn't really like Jimmy Smith in the 5th, and I can't picture a scenario where you'd want to start Emmitt Smith in a start 2 RB league, but other than that I thought it was a very good draft. I can see myself taking the same guys with a lot of the same picks.

QB:Bulger, Brunell, MaddoxRB: DDavis, Suggs, Garner, DuckettWR: RMoss, RSmith, Givens, ADavis, BookerTE: BooWilliamsPK: Feely DEF: VikingsPicking from the 12 spot, I missed out on the top 10 RBs that I would have liked to get. Fortunately, Moss fell to me, so that was an easy pick in a pt/rec league. I passed on WR at the 3/4 turn to take 2 RBs who I think could both do very well in this scoring system (Suggs/Garner). After passing on RB2 early, I felt I had to shore up that position and get some depth. Since Suggs and Garner shared a bye week, I also snagged Duckett at the next turn. It's a quality 4-some, but lacks star power. Despite his age, Rod Smith should be the primary weapon in Denver this year, and I thought he was decent value at 6.01.Once I had Moss, I felt like he could make an average WR group look good, so I tried to build up the other positions. At the 7/8 turn, I was surprised to see Marc Bulger still available. Provided he can stay healthy behind that banged up O-line, he'll be productive. I also decided to lock up the TE I wanted in Boo as I think he can be a top-4 TE if he plays the whole season.Next turn I decided the WRs were drying up so I had to add some quality depth. I took David Givens and Andre Davis, and I think both should do well. Givens came on strong last year and Davis could be ready to break out with Garcia under center. I had serious concerns about Bulger's durability and gave some thought to taking Leftwich here, but I figured there'd still be decent QB value available later on.Next turn, I grabbed the guy who I thought was the best QB available in Brunell, along with a WR in Marty Booker that people may be writing off too soon. He could emerge as the possession WR in that offense this year, and Fiedler/Feeley don't exactly have the strongest of arms so Booker might see a lot of work once he gets comfortable.Next turn, I wanted to lock up Hollings as a handcuff to Domanick Davis, but he went 1 pick ahead of me. I switched gears and grabbed a 3rd QB in Maddox, and a solid WR in Kevin Johnson.Last turn, I grabbed the Vikings D and Feely, and I think both will do well this year.Overall, I imagine my starting lineups won't scare too many people. But, I have quality depth and should be able to take advantage of some matchups from week to week. It's not my favorite team, but I'm sure I'd be able to make it work for me if this were a real league.

I took Martin because he was the safest RB available and I knew I was going WR in the next two rounds. A reach according to VBD...yes. According to overall gameplan...no. If the draft allowed trading down I would have done so.

QB:Bulger, Brunell, MaddoxRB: DDavis, Suggs, Garner, DuckettWR: RMoss, RSmith, Givens, ADavis, BookerTE: BooWilliamsPK: Feely DEF: VikingsPicking from the 12 spot, I missed out on the top 11 RBs that I would have liked to get. Fortunately, Moss fell to me, so that was an easy pick in a pt/rec league. I passed on WR at the 3/4 turn to take 2 RBs who I think could both do very well in this scoring system (Suggs/Garner). After passing on RB2 early, I felt I had to shore up that position and get some depth. Since Suggs and Garner shared a bye week, I also snagged Duckett at the next turn. It's a quality 4-some, but lacks star power. Despite his age, Rod Smith should be the primary weapon in Denver this year, and I thought he was decent value at 6.01.
Hey Aaron,I just found out that I will be drafting at 12 in an IDP draft next week and was curious to know if you could do it over if you would change anything? IE order you took certain positions etc?I realize that adding IDP's changes the way it roles out but wanted to know what you thought since it will be the first time I draft from this spot.Thanks..

Bennett's a little overhyped right now, I didn't really like Jimmy Smith in the 5th, and I can't picture a scenario where you'd want to start Emmitt Smith in a start 2 RB league, but other than that I thought it was a very good draft. I can see myself taking the same guys with a lot of the same picks.
BF - I value your opinion... please explain your Bennett opinion.You really think Bennett is overhyped at this point? My only concern with him is injury otherwise I'd put him at about 10 RB overall right now. That offense will score a ton of points this year. He is behind probably one of the top two O-lines in the league. He has major upside this year.

I'd like to know why Corey Dillon--FBG's 12th ranked back-- fell all the way to 18.Henry, Johnson, Westbrook, Barber, Davis, Faulk and even QGriffin are below Dillon but were picked before him.

Users who are viewing this thread