What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (11 Viewers)

Damn, I just saw this now. It's been over a decade since I was there, so my memory on place names is hazy.

For big fútbol matches (and for dining outside too), I liked to hang out at Plaza de Santa Ana, which is pretty centrally located, just east of Sol.

I recall watching some Prem at an English bar called James Joyce on Alcalá near Retiro.  There was another bar closer to Sol that I can't recall the name or location, but I watched the Trinidad - England WC2006 match there where that ####### Crouchy pulled the dudes dreds to score. I nearly got my ### kicked as I was pulling for T&T the whole time and talking a bunch of trash to the English fans. Maybe I'm lucky Crouch scored...
Too late! But I did ok. First half sucked. Figured any Irish Bar would be good but but 2 had music on. Took a walk at halftime and O'Brian's had the sound in the game and people who were up for talking to me. Which is it's own rarity. 

It's 2:27am and I'm drinking Cava in bed after drinking some amazing cocktails after my visit to a great brewpub which was preceeded by dinner at the oldest restaurant in the history of the world of history. 

I was going to ask if it’s like that for all four corners, according to the comments it is. Crazy
yeah, it is amazingly tiny.  I think someone measured it once and it was much smaller than what NYCFC claims it is for width.

Sadly NY is probably even tougher to build in than Boston is and we have seen how well that has gone up here.

That was pretty similar to the game winner he hit against Sampdoria Saturday, only that one was to the far corner instead. 
You guys have invoked @DJackson10 twice now with that goal... I hope he comes back. Av bets less serious than gbs in the soccer thread- even if they're the wrong kind on inter fan. Come back, gb! 

yeah, it is amazingly tiny.  I think someone measured it once and it was much smaller than what NYCFC claims it is for width.

Sadly NY is probably even tougher to build in than Boston is and we have seen how well that has gone up here.
Yeah, I don't like AU having to play there at all.  If Almiron isn't available I could see us getting knocked out.

I know people don't follow South American soccer too much but if you were ever going to watch a final, I implore you to see if you can find time to watch the Copa Libertadores two legged final.  For the first time ever, arguably the greatest rivalry in the entire sporting world plays against each other in the Copa finals.

Boca Juniors vs River Plate.   

This is a game that was once described by a British journalist as making the Old Firm look like a primary school  kick about.

The last time these teams met in the Copa three years ago, the game had to be abandoned due to fans attacking the players in the tunnel with pepper spray.

Dis going to be nuts!

It is is a two legged final.   I pray for the security teams.  Even the president of the country is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know people don't follow South American soccer too much but if you were ever going to watch a final, I implore you to see if you can find time to watch the Copa Libertadores two legged final.  For the first time ever, arguably the greatest rivalry in the entire sporting world faces each other in the Copa finals.

This is a game that was once described by a British journalist as making the Old Firm look like a primary school  kick about.

The last time these team met in the Copa three years ago, the game had to be abandoned with fans attacking the players in the tunnel with pepper spray.

Dis going to be nuts!

It is is a two legged final.   I pray for the security teams.  Even the president of the country is concerned.
When is it and what channel! 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I know people don't follow South American soccer too much but if you were ever going to watch a final, I implore you to see if you can find time to watch the Copa Libertadores two legged final.  For the first time ever, arguably the greatest rivalry in the entire sporting world faces each other in the Copa finals.

The last time these team met in the Copa three years ago, the game had to be abandoned with fans attacking the players in the tunnel with pepper spray.

Dis going to be nuts!

La Pelicula - Boca vs River - Semifinal de libertadores 2004

El Floppo said:
You guys have invoked @DJackson10 twice now with that goal... I hope he comes back. Av bets less serious than gbs in the soccer thread- even if they're the wrong kind on inter fan. Come back, gb! 
Don't think we technically ever agreed on who'd it be though. I've been either at work or busy with a lot of stuff and only caught up on a few of the threads Im in 

Just started watching the ars v Liv game...ars seem to be dominating- has that been the case for the rest of the half?

No. Liverpool controlled much of the first half of the first half. Both teams have had chances, Liverpool has already hit woodwork twice.
Thanks. Yeah- they just showed the highlights. Outside of the ten minutes I watched, looks like it was all Liverpool.

Thanks. Yeah- they just showed the highlights. Outside of the ten minutes I watched, looks like it was all Liverpool.
Arsenal probably with the better of the play overall.  They've had a lot of runners find space.

Liverpool with a goal a post and another great chance alone in front for VvD though. 

Users who are viewing this thread