What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (6 Viewers)

Was watching some of the Dortmund game.  Dortmund looked good.  Did miss the crowd noise, but loved being able to hear the calls on the field, just wish I spoke German so I knew what they were saying.  Plus the announcers were more noticable.

Did feel like a preseason freindly and some of the action appeared the same.  Felt like the tackling and intensity was low.  But overall good to have it back.

Was watching some of the Dortmund game.  Dortmund looked good.  Did miss the crowd noise, but loved being able to hear the calls on the field, just wish I spoke German so I knew what they were saying.  Plus the announcers were more noticable.

Did feel like a preseason freindly and some of the action appeared the same.  Felt like the tackling and intensity was low.  But overall good to have it back.
I watched most of that too... and posted similar comments (comparing to old MLS games for pace, shape, skill and crowd involvement).

both teams' shape was noticeably off- fitness, team training, concentration... probably all of the above. but that halaand kid still gots it. really reminds me of the zlat in terms of size to body-control and skill ratio along with abosulte supreme confidence. he looks like he just expects to score every time he near the box. 

Eintracht Frankfurt with two quick goals after going down 3-0 to put a but of pressure on Bayern.  Watching a real match again is great, certainly.  Interesting to hear all the communication on the field clearly compared to a match with a crowd.  The echoes are very odd as well.

ETA:  Frankfurt then proceeds to give the ball away in a ghastly manner to Davies in the 6 yard box and he gives Bayern a little breathing room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alphonso Davies has gone from never playing LB to being arguably in the top 5 in the world at that position (especially offensively) in just the span of one interrupted season.  Holy crap is he good and at just 19 his next move is going to be a huge one if Bayern want to cash in.

Davies is so good he is almost assuredly going to be playing for a top 10 team in the world for the rest of his prime years career which means he is almost always going to be on the front foot which plays to his strengths.  It is probably going to take knock out round Champions League play to really see his defensive chops.

I have no idea how Canada will best use him as it would seem playing him at LB would be a waste when he is by far and away their best player.

NewlyRetired said:
Alphonso Davies has gone from never playing LB to being arguably in the top 5 in the world at that position (especially offensively) in just the span of one interrupted season.  Holy crap is he good and at just 19 his next move is going to be a huge one if Bayern want to cash in.

Davies is so good he is almost assuredly going to be playing for a top 10 team in the world for the rest of his prime years career which means he is almost always going to be on the front foot which plays to his strengths.  It is probably going to take knock out round Champions League play to really see his defensive chops.

I have no idea how Canada will best use him as it would seem playing him at LB would be a waste when he is by far and away their best player.
Bayern is using him more like a wing back than a true FB for sure.  I think that will transfer to a full out winger when he's playing for the Canadian team.  His speed on the edges is unreal.  I think he's gonna be comparable to TAA within a year or two.

NewlyRetired said:
He just signed a new contract and Bayern don’t „need“ money. I can’t see him leaving anytime soon. 

He just signed a new contract and Bayern don’t „need“ money. I can’t see him leaving anytime soon. 
The last thing they would want would be for a player of his quality to leave on his own so the new contract makes perfect sense because they retain control of him.

Bayern rarely if ever sell young talent(like say Dortmund makes a living off of) but Real Madrid have supposedly already started poking around and RM might be one of the very small handful of teams that could make an offer BM can't refuse.

I certainly don't see him leaving any time soon either but in 3-4 years when he is starting to enter his prime?  Who knows....Of course much of this assumes his continues his rocket ship trajectory.  There is an equal chance he may not.  You can never tell.

Mainz stadium pumping in crowd noise is really enhancing the experience.  Haven’t noticed any other stadiums doing this.  Hope it catches on :thumbup:

Mainz stadium pumping in crowd noise is really enhancing the experience.  Haven’t noticed any other stadiums doing this.  Hope it catches on :thumbup:
Is it random with songs/chants, or do they have a dj reading the game and having the noise respond to the action in real time?

Poked my head in and saw the third goal go in. 

Horrible red card by VAR on Wolfsburg on a 50-50 ball
That was terrible.  Shouldn’t have been any card, and arguably not even a foul.  I was kind of rooting for Dortmund and it still annoyed me.  
I'm going contrarian on this one.  Red is harsh, but justified.  The player can't complain imo with this type of reckless play.

Edit:  My 15 year-old son, a ref, emphatically says no card.  "No way. A foul."

Last edited by a moderator:
Really pulling for Dortmund on Tuesday in the game against Bayern, as an unbiased fan.  If Dortmund can find the full three points, it will set up and awesome end run to the season for the Bundesliga crown.
My only day off is that day so I'm super excited about this. I really have nothing in this as I like Both clubs anyway. If Pulusic was still with Dortmund probably would've swayed me more to them. 

Most annoying part of watching soccer on Fox: Alexi Lalas or costant NASCAR promotion?
NASCAR Promotion. Not a real sport and honestly can't stand it. Also personal hatred for it as My grandparents had a house in the Pocono Mountains 15 mins from the Speedway. Race day made a nice quite area seem like NYC Traffic. One way streets constantly and for me or my parents or anyone to get from point A to Point b which took us usually 10 mins took us 45 mins-1hr to complete and the fans are obnoxious and ignorant there too. We had the lake club and could go fishing and such but when my Pop-Pop,uncle my other Uncle who's also my God father and I wanted to do some real fishing at the state park well we had to plan on not doing it on a race day which sucked. We usually planned most fishing trips back in those days in the state Parks on Sunday as it was less crowded then Fri/Sat plus its usually the only day my GF Uncle was able to get up there with us. He's come up Saturday morning spend time with us at the lake then the Next day we'd all wake up for some quality fishing. 

So yeah NASCAR Promotion for me annoyed with a passion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Zigg