What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (3 Viewers)

I noticed a bunch of MLS games went deep into injury time.

Does any one know if MLS is employing the injury time rules that were used in the WC (which I liked and was disappointed they were not adopted by the Euro leagues)?

I noticed a bunch of MLS games went deep into injury time.

Does any one know if MLS is employing the injury time rules that were used in the WC (which I liked and was disappointed they were not adopted by the Euro leagues)?
I haven't heard anything but it seems clear they are adding a lot of time. But I didn't notice that in the 1h like at the World Cup so I'm not sure what it's about.

Really strange refereeing in this Chelsea-Tottenham game. Ziyech makes a bad tackle and tempers flare. He gets up and slaps Emerson Royal in the face while standing a foot from the ref.

VAR rules it a straight red. Ref looks at it and deems it only a yellow. Gives Ziyech a yellow but he was given a yellow for the initial tackle and yet is still on the field. My guess is he never officially gave him the yellow for the tackle but for the life of me I can't see how slapping a guy in the face isn't at least a yellow offense. I know VAR can't intervene in that but the ref and the assistant ref had to have seen it.

Guys, I think I can get behind this blend of Apple's top notch production values, and MLS's insane drunken MLS after dark vibes.

Tom Bogert
@tombogert

The first 730pm ET window of MLS matches on matchday 1 had:
- 89th min winner (New England)
- 90th min equalizer (D.C. United)
- 98th min winner (D.C. United)
- 99th min winner (Atlanta United)

The chaos is back.
86th min winner didn't even make the cut

OptaJack

@OptaJack

@stlCITYsc is the second team in @MLS history to record a come-from-behind win in its inaugural MLS match, after the Tampa Bay Mutiny in 1996

Really strange refereeing in this Chelsea-Tottenham game. Ziyech makes a bad tackle and tempers flare. He gets up and slaps Emerson Royal in the face while standing a foot from the ref.

VAR rules it a straight red. Ref looks at it and deems it only a yellow. Gives Ziyech a yellow but he was given a yellow for the initial tackle and yet is still on the field. My guess is he never officially gave him the yellow for the tackle but for the life of me I can't see how slapping a guy in the face isn't at least a yellow offense. I know VAR can't intervene in that but the ref and the assistant ref had to have seen it.
Remember that stretch when if you even grazed a guys face with your hand it was an auto red? I guess that ship has sailed

Not hyperbole - that may be the greatest combined two free kicks goals in ET ever. That’s ridiculous.

• Thiago Almada (90'+3', 90'+9')

ETA - I’m an idiot (and drinking) - first goal wasn’t a free kick but still two ridiculous strikes
have to say I have to thank the new AppleTV deal because I watched all this live. The freekick was nice and it was last kick of game but the first goal was :chefkiss:

I meant to ask this yesterday but I forgot. Is that technique new on the free kick goal? I don't remember ever seeing a wall in front of the wall before.....

For those that did not see it, it is the second goal at this link, look at how the Atlanta players line up

Just now got to watch the final. United has gotten really good of late in locking down in defense and then taking their chances. They weren’t head and shoulders better but it was just another professional performance and in the end was a comfortable win. In ETH we trust!

Not hyperbole - that may be the greatest combined two free kicks goals in ET ever. That’s ridiculous.

ETA - I’m an idiot (and drinking) - first goal wasn’t a free kick but still two ridiculous strikes
have to say I have to thank the new AppleTV deal because I watched all this live. The freekick was nice and it was last kick of game but the first goal was :chefkiss:

I meant to ask this yesterday but I forgot. Is that technique new on the free kick goal? I don't remember ever seeing a wall in front of the wall before.....

For those that did not see it, it is the second goal at this link, look at how the Atlanta players line up

First time I can remember seeing it - I’m still unclear the purpose - I’m guessing to obstruct the keepers view more and maybe obstruct the defenders in the wall?? I could see then maybe doing a set piece routine off of it later in the year.

I'm not going to back the ref on this, because it was a cluster... but evidently Ziyech did not get a yellow for the initial tackle. The ref had it out for Mount, who had a tackle right before the Ziyech tackle. Still think Ziyech should have been sent off, but it didn't matter in the end. Chelsea is a complete :tfp:

Remember that stretch when if you even grazed a guys face with your hand it was an auto red? I guess that ship has sailed
Or if you were holding a guys collar VAR would send you off?

Just now got to watch the final. United has gotten really good of late in locking down in defense and then taking their chances. They weren’t head and shoulders better but it was just another professional performance and in the end was a comfortable win. In ETH we trust!
They actually seem to have some passion and aggression and are working for each other. Varane has brought the leadership. Casimiro has helped as well with his positioning and game management. That's been missing in the back for awhile.

First time I can remember seeing it - I’m still unclear the purpose - I’m guessing to obstruct the keepers view more and maybe obstruct the defenders in the wall?? I could see then maybe doing a set piece routine off of it later in the year.
More bodies for the defenders and keeper to try and see the ball through. Slows down the walls ability to jump, keeper picking up the flight, etc. Now that you have to be a yard away from the wall, you are seeing more of it instead of them joining the wall. I've seen it periodically over the years even before the newish rules.

I did not see the game, but I did see the replays of the incident... and pretty much none of it happened as you described it :shrug:

Feed freezes from OT and West Ham take the lead while the feed is out. I can only assume Maguire did something stupid
Ball rolled out of bounds, refs allow WHU to play on, Maguire doesn't close the man down and he curls it upper v far post. Nice goal actually.

But its a David Moyes team so goals by OWN, Garnacho and Fred win it for United.

The Draw:
City v Burnley
United v Fulham
Brighton v Grimsby
Sheffield v Blackburn

Feed freezes from OT and West Ham take the lead while the feed is out. I can only assume Maguire did something stupid
Ball rolled out of bounds, refs allow WHU to play on, Maguire doesn't close the man down and he curls it upper v far post. Nice goal actually.

But its a David Moyes team so goals by OWN, Garnacho and Fred win it for United.

The Draw:
City v Burnley
United v Fulham
Brighton v Grimsby
Sheffield v Blackburn

Have they determined the semis draw? Outside City, Fulham probably the next hardest draw. Would love us to get City at some point but I’d be fine with a Burnley upset.

Predictions - City, United, Brighton, SHU

The Draw:
City v Burnley
United v Fulham
Brighton v Grimsby
Sheffield v Blackburn

Have they determined the semis draw? Outside City, Fulham probably the next hardest draw. Would love us to get City at some point but I’d be fine with a Burnley upset.

Predictions - City, United, Brighton, SHU
Yeah Fulham was the 2nd hardest draw. Let's hope Kompany can upset his old club. But yes, I could see a City v United final happening if both get through this round.

And with another Spursy result, one can only dream about Wrexham having held on vs Sheffield and would now be hosting Blackburn with a semi final birth on the line.

A league game today in Holland has a scoreline of 13-0 and still not over yet.

I won't be shocked if they have to investigate this game in terms of bets placed.

I won't be shocked if they have to investigate this game in terms of bets placed.

It was top against what's now third from bottom, IIRC the Dutch league does occasionally have some games that are huge mismatches (didn't Ajax put ten past someone earlier this season?), this is what I guess it looks like when Zwolle want to boost their goal difference.

As for bets placed, nobody is getting rich off of betting Zwolle to win, and any sort of correct score fixing in this spot would be ludicrous. Can only assume Den Bosch had some key players injured/suspended or are just generally rubbish

It was top against what's now third from bottom, IIRC the Dutch league does occasionally have some games that are huge mismatches (didn't Ajax put ten past someone earlier this season?), this is what I guess it looks like when Zwolle want to boost their goal difference.

As for bets placed, nobody is getting rich off of betting Zwolle to win, and any sort of correct score fixing in this spot would be ludicrous. Can only assume Den Bosch had some key players injured/suspended or are just generally rubbish
I agree entirely.

That being said, it does sound like if anyone was on the take it was the Bosc keeper. The xG in the game was only 4. Zwolle scored 13 on only 16 shots on target. Very very uncommon occurrence to say the least. Although I am sure the entire team was crap on the day as well.

=====

For any US fans out there, the once hoped for prospect Zelalem plays for Den Bosc

Last edited:
I am really missing the sane, real stoppage time we got a taste of in the World Cup.

Watching the Spurs/Wolves game today was ridiculous. In the 1st half there were two MAJOR injuries that without hyperbole took more than 20 minutes of real time (Diego Costa had to be carted off, and another player had to make a uniform change after his got all bloody; after rolling around on the ground for 5 minutes of course). Then 2 other minor injuries, and of course all the regular stoppage time all added up to....8 minutes of extra time.

I'd be shocked if they actually played even 30 minutes of football in the 1st half.

Then at the end of the game there were 4 added minutes, of which they actually played maybe 45 seconds. The other 3 minutes+ were just guys standing/walking around for a couple corner kicks and throw-ins.

Last edited:
I am really missing the sane, real stoppage time we got a taste of in the World Cup.

Watching the Spures/Wolves game today was ridiculous. In the 1st half there were two MAJOR injuries that without hyperbole took more than 20 minutes of real time (Diego Costa had to be carted off, and another player had to make a uniform change after his got all bloody; after rolling around on the ground for 5 minutes of course). Then 2 other minor injuries, and of courses all the regular stoppage time all added up to....8 minutes of extra time.

I'd be shocked if they actually played even 30 minutes of football in the 1st half.

Then at the end of the game there were 4 added minutes, of which they actually played maybe 45 seconds. The other 3 minutes+ were just guys standing/walking around for a couple corner kicks and throw-ins.
In case you did not see it, I posted this in the soccer thread

========

International Football Association Board (Ifab) will have its general meeting this Saturday. One important item they will be discussing is how to lay out guidelines for all leagues to follow in regards of how to handle injury time. The hope is that the guidelines that were used in the WC will be then used across all leagues.

60 minute games with clock stopping is still being considered but many consider this likely too big a change to be approved by the Ifab.

Liverpool is such a volatile team, wow
I normally love to favor the offense in these type of games but I just watched every goal and the United defense was laughable on almost every goal. It is like they completely forgot how to play the sport (and probably some level of "I quit" mixed in....)

So with this result, if Man City get any sort of point penalty, Arsenal is going to win the title with out even caring too much about the last 5 games.

That was amazingly bad. No words to describe it. Let's hope they can brush it off and take care of Real Bettis this week.

I sometimes think a complete and utter disaster like that, really a once in a multi generation type result, should be far easier to get over than say blowing a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2.

It was so flukey and so against their current form, that they might be able to simply ignore it. I would not even waste time watching the film as trying to fix that level of incompetence seems like a waste of time.

I think as a coach you roll the dice and hope it was really a one time thing, and continue to prepare your team as you always have. You can re-evaluate if it goes sideways again.

That was amazingly bad. No words to describe it. Let's hope they can brush it off and take care of Real Bettis this week.

I sometimes think a complete and utter disaster like that, really a once in a multi generation type result, should be far easier to get over than say blowing a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2.

It was so flukey and so against their current form, that they might be able to simply ignore it. I would not even waste time watching the film as trying to fix that level of incompetence seems like a waste of time.

I think as a coach you roll the dice and hope it was really a one time thing, and continue to prepare your team as you always have. You can re-evaluate if it goes sideways again.
Agreed. With the amount of games, and high pressure games (Barcax2, league cup, fa cup) a game like this was inevitable. Just unfortunate it was against their arch rivals.

Agreed. With the amount of games, and high pressure games (Barcax2, league cup, fa cup) a game like this was inevitable. Just unfortunate it was against their arch rivals.
Particularly with how good ManU have looked. Betis did hold Real Madrid yesterday, but shouldn't be a big obstacle.

Particularly with how good ManU have looked. Betis did hold Real Madrid yesterday, but shouldn't be a big obstacle.
Betis is 5th in La Liga. RM isn't playing so well either lately. But either way, if United gets up for the game like they have been, they should advance. They just have to get past this.

Users who are viewing this thread