What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1988:#1 – Guns n’ Roses – Sweet Child o’ Mine (2 Viewers)

I took a web design class in the Library Science department at UW-Milwaukee a long time ago. This super nerd (mid 30s) in my class signed off on everything as the Electric Youth Renegade. Chilling. 
LOL.  If that happened 100 miles north, it actually could have been Smoo.

#95 - Debbie Gibson - Out of the Blue

Here's the @Smoobat signal, @Ramsay Hunt Experience.  The best track from Debbie Gibson's debut album was released as her third single in January 1988.  I had no love for Tiffany or NKOTB or Rick Astley or other teen nonsense, but "Out of the Blue" is a great pop song.  And Debbie had awesome taste in hats too.  I'm not gonna apologize.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D80VtTDOk0g
Kirk lived across the street from me growing up. I was friends with his youngest sister - he was about 10 years older than me.

#96 - JJ Fad - Supersonic

OK, now this is fun. The bass thump.  The electro-funk fills.  Baby D's speed rap at the 3:23 mark.  I love everything about this song.

JJ Fad was the first act signed to Ruthless Records and the lead single from their debut album seemed to be everywhere in the summer of 1988 (even in the podunk town where I grew up).  "Supersonic" only made it to #30 on the Hot 100 but that probably says more about how the charts were determined then the songs popularity.  

Supersonic
:wub:  

Taking a big spotlight risk that there won't be more from the Out of the Blue album, but I always thought Foolish Beat was even better. Talented young lady.
Yeah, plenty of artists justify two or even three entries.  I love Foolish Beat as well, but decided to go with chipper Debbie instead of sad Debbie.

Last edited by a moderator:
#94 - Van Halen - Finish What Ya Started

As far as Van Halen goes, I much prefer the DLR version to the Sammy version.  Despite that, I really liked 5150.  But man, I just found OU812 to be way too "grown up."  On the plus side, the album sounds great.  I was relistening the other night on my stereo and Eddie's guitar work totally sparkles and shimmers and Sammy soars.  At least "Finish What Ya Started" is a little bit fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp5Nd93gQ5I

And I swear that when Sammy says "C'mon Baby" he sounds just like the Connie the Hormone Monstress from Big Mouth.  Is it just me?

#94 - Van Halen - Finish What Ya Started

1994-1995, several of us in our college dorm bonded over going and seeing Van Hagar live. Finish What Ya Started was always a crowd pleaser live, Sammy got to be vulgar explaining the song and there were always two or three lovely ladies willing to show their up-tops on the video board. 

Sammy got to be vulgar explaining the song and there were always two or three lovely ladies willing to show their up-tops on the video board. 
I saw Metallica and GnR at RFK in 1992.  The only "positive" about Axl taking hours to come on stage was the stadium video guy roaming around and broadcasting girls gone wild in the audience before those vids were actually a thing.  Which in hindsight really isn't a positive, but as a 20 year old dude, I wasn't complaining.

Permanent Vacation to me was a pretty excellent rock record and would have almost certainly made my top ten of the year in 1988 (or whatever year)

Magic Touch , St. John

Way better than Done With Mirrors, which did have good cover shtick

I still have the P-Vac tape with the embossed case
Let the Music Do the Talking was probably better than any song on PV though.  PV really sounds dated now, pretty awful actually.   I do like the two songs you linked.

#95 - Debbie Gibson - Out of the Blue

Here's the @Smoobat signal, @Ramsay Hunt Experience.  The best track from Debbie Gibson's debut album was released as her third single in January 1988.  I had no love for Tiffany or NKOTB or Rick Astley or other teen nonsense, but "Out of the Blue" is a great pop song.  And Debbie had awesome taste in hats too.  I'm not gonna apologize.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D80VtTDOk0g

She continues to hold the record for youngest person to ever write, perform, and produce a #1 hit, for Foolish Beat off of that same album. But I agree that Out of the Blue is the best song on that album.

She continues to hold the record for youngest person to ever write, perform, and produce a #1 hit, for Foolish Beat off of that same album. But I agree that Out of the Blue is the best song on that album.

Taylor Swift came close to beating her, by six months or so, but Debbie still holds.

You made my day, Smoo!  Hope all is well. 

Jzilla and I were talking about playing spades with you and @Ramsay Hunt Experience(while @fatguyinalittlecoatwas passed out on the couch) only hours before Zilla's gall bladder exploded.  Epic night!

I see what you did there

Me:  I can't believe how into MIndcrime I was when I was 16.  I'm so over that now.

:Eyes of a Stranger comes on Hair Nation:

Me:  People always TURN AWAAAAAAAAAAAY!
14 year-old rockaction was SUPER DUPER (he wouldn't use those words though) into Mindcrime when he was a teen. It seemed to go perfectly with his hi-tops and acidwash jeans. 

I picked them in Genrepalooza. Suite Sister Mary. 

Sister Mary, I feel the rain coming down...

C'mon baby, rock n' roll never forgets...

"Punk Rock Girl" got a young rockaction in trouble for mooning cars out of the back of a school bus field trip

"Touch Me, I'm Sick" would be discovered by a way-over-Mindcrime rockaction in late 1990. Add to that the Superfuzz Bigmuff EP compilation, and the record player he bought in a clearance aisle as a new Sub Pop Loser, and he found love with Mudhoney who would became his favorite band, pre-Nirvana explosion, he'll have you know. 

These songs are a nostalgia trip. Before I Hipple the thread, I'll stop and let others comment. But I was fifteen in 1988 (The Mindcrime age was wrong, I think. I was probably fifteen and not fourteen) and I remember being excited about Roth's new solo effort. (I hated Van Hagar and "The Best Of Both Worlds" and all that flatbed-loving jingoism that Van Halen seemed to appropriate into their songs.) "Just Like Paradise" was certainly passable, but not a great song. The rest of the album? Very lamentable. The worst of the songs was "Hot Dog And A Shake," which made the lyrical dexterity and subtlety of Van Hagar look like Leonard Cohen comparatively. "Poundcake?" Yes, please. More poundcake. 

#92  - Public Enemy - She Watch Channel Zero

My hometown was highly segregated in 1988 (and still is).  There were four bands I remember "mattering" above all others - two hip-hop and two rock/metal - and neither really crossed over.  They'll figure disproportionately in this countdown.

If you walked  down the hall of my HS that year, Africa medallions, PE t-shirts, and skidz were de rigeur among the Black kids.  "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back"  was the soundtrack.  Built on a Slayer riff, "She Watch Channel Zero" seems both timeless (just substitute Facebook/Instagram) and ironic given Flava Flav's starring role in so many bad reality TV shows.  So good though.

She Watch Channel Zero

i thought Gibson could have grown into sumn decent
She has talked about this before, wistfully not angrily. There wasn't a place for her to fit in. The musical landscape when she entered her adult years was filled with grunge and hip-hop. She didn't have the outsized vocals of Mariah Carey to carry her along, or the image shifting ability of Madonna to stay relevant. 

It's too bad, maybe if life had broken a little differently Debbie could have had a career putting out lyrics like Natalie Merchant combined with the image of Taylor Dayne.  

She has talked about this before, wistfully not angrily. There wasn't a place for her to fit in. The musical landscape when she entered her adult years was filled with grunge and hip-hop. She didn't have the outsized vocals of Mariah Carey to carry her along, or the image shifting ability of Madonna to stay relevant. 

It's too bad, maybe if life had broken a little differently Debbie could have had a career putting out lyrics like Natalie Merchant combined with the image of Taylor Dayne.  
I saw her play Sandy in Grease on the West End in 1994. 

that's where A&R comes in

i had a client backinaday - bigass chops, bigass voice, bigass brain, bigass ###. like most women artists of the era, the songwriting confidence wasnt there, she already been handled by men before (and this was an era when they were all looking for "the next Janis" so it was a double pain) and would be happy never to be handled again and just wanted to play&play&play.

i had a take for her. it wasnt much different than what female hiphop artists  do now - be blatant that you got what they want and all they gonna hear is you telling them slimy bastages how they can be worthy of some - but it was a way different take in 1974. but she was so bigassbadass, she couldnta sold anyone that she was broken or wise like Janis, Laura Nyro, Joni Mitchell had done. my client loved my "hoochie power" take cuz she loved the blues and "hoochie power" was a very blues take. we were just working on it when my boss didnt like what he was seeing and took me off her. i had to steal her to "save" her, got caught, fired & sued out da bidness. three years later, she was living with a Yooper pig farmer, doin butt nuttin and never did all that much again before dying this summer. oh, well...

Miss Gibson looked damaged but sharp enough to be clever about it. I thought she coulda been the musical equivalent of Working Girl (a popular flick of the time), woke up by what Madonna was doing but too common and commonsensical to be that extravagant. LOT of Working Girl songs STILL aint been writ. oh, well...

I wasn't that wild about OU812 or Finish What Ya Started for a long time, but I have really come around on both.  Good song.

Just Like Paradise is classic DLR rocking silliness.  The video is a hoot. 

#91 - The Pursuit of Happiness - I'm an Adult Now

Boy from Alberta moves to Toronto in search of fame.  Forms a band and releases a single that becomes huge but only north of the border.  They get a record deal, Todd Rundgren produces the first album, and that original Canadian single gets re-recorded and released in the US to minor acclaim in 1998  (#6 on Billboard Modern Rock chart).  The band makes six more albums - that pretty much sell only in Canada - and gets inducted into the Canadian Indie Hall of Fame.  

I'm an Adult Now

Never in the upper elite league they were sometimes placed in... still, Anthrax were riff machines, solid as hell and super fun. 

Many of their best tracks are covers and for MY money they made their best music later with John Bush on vox

Me:  I can't believe how into MIndcrime I was when I was 16.  I'm so over that now.

:Eyes of a Stranger comes on Hair Nation:

Me:  People always TURN AWAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Still my favorite album by my favorite band.  It blew me away when it came out and it still amazes me when I sit down and really listen to the pieces of the songs.  Tate’s vocals are simply amazing.   The guitar work is beautiful.   

Let the Music Do the Talking was probably better than any song on PV though.  PV really sounds dated now, pretty awful actually.   I do like the two songs you linked.
Done with Mirrors is the last Aerosmith album that I like.  That album is rough, raw, and choppy but Aerosmith still tried to rock like they did in their glory days.  Aerosmith chose to shift to a more pop sound and I don’t fault them for chasing money.  Some folks probably prefer albums like PV over Toys in the Attic or Rocks.  

Done with Mirrors is the last Aerosmith album that I like.  That album is rough, raw, and choppy but Aerosmith still tried to rock like they did in their glory days.  Aerosmith chose to shift to a more pop sound and I don’t fault them for chasing money.  Some folks probably prefer albums like PV over Toys in the Attic or Rocks.  
I'm also a much bigger fan of their earlier output, but every so often they could still put out a catchy song. My favorite of those is Jaded. 

Ironic considering you've adopted Scott Ian's look in your adult life.
Last year, I bought a car in PA - did the deal via Zoom before driving up to get it.  When I got to the dealership, the salesperson's boyfriend was sitting with her to meet me.  She explained "I told him that I had this customer coming in that looks just like Scott Ian and he didn't believe me."  I'm not really sure I would go with "just like" in any case.

#89 - Fishbone - Freddie's Dead

In any college dorm in the early 90s, there was always one guy (it was always a guy) that was prone to talk in detail for hours about Fishbone if you said something as innocuous as "Yeah, they're pretty good."  In that regard, Fishbone were like a ska-funk-punk Queensryche.

"Freddie's Dead" - a Curtis Mayfield cover - was the first track and lead single from 1988's "Truth and Soul."

Freddie's Dead

#89 - Fishbone - Freddy's Dead

In any college dorm in the early 90s, there was always one guy (it was always a guy) that was prone to talk in detail for hours about Fishbone if you said something as innocuous as "Yeah, they're pretty good."  In that regard, Fishbone were like a ska-funk-punk Queensryche.

"Freddie's Dead" - a Curtis Mayfield cover - was the first track and lead single from 1988's "Truth and Soul."

Freddie's Dead
They were an amazing live band. Their first album was non stop in HS for me

Users who are viewing this thread