What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1988:#1 – Guns n’ Roses – Sweet Child o’ Mine (1 Viewer)

They were an amazing live band. Their first album was non stop in HS for me
I saw them on the Monsters of Funk tour at Headliners in Madison WI late 80s with Thelonious Monster and RHCP. I had seen them featured in a John Cusak movie - Tapeheads.  The tour tshirt said “Rock Out With Your C*** Out” on the back and both Kiedis and Flea obliged that night, but Fishbone stole the show. 

I saw them on the Monsters of Funk tour at Headliners in Madison WI late 80s with Thelonious Monster and RHCP. I had seen them featured in a John Cusak movie - Tapeheads.  The tour tshirt said “Rock Out With Your C*** Out” on the back and both Kiedis and Flea obliged that night, but Fishbone stole the show. 

I think I saw them with RHCP at least once. The LA bands seemed to play together in SF when they came up.

Untouchables, another band I know I saw them with at least once...more mainstream, almost soul, ska.

#95 - Debbie Gibson - Out of the Blue

Here's the @Smoobat signal, @Ramsay Hunt Experience.  The best track from Debbie Gibson's debut album was released as her third single in January 1988.  I had no love for Tiffany or NKOTB or Rick Astley or other teen nonsense, but "Out of the Blue" is a great pop song.  And Debbie had awesome taste in hats too.  I'm not gonna apologize.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D80VtTDOk0g
I always enjoyed Debbie Gibson is Pregnant with my Two Headed Love Child by Nixon and Roper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I saw them with RHCP at least once. The LA bands seemed to play together in SF when they came up.

Untouchables, another band I know I saw them with at least once...more mainstream, almost soul, ska.
On some podcast I was listening to earlier this year, the host and guest were coming up with a list of juvenile song titles.  Fishbone got a nod for Bonin' in the Boneyard but they were no match for RHCP.

#88 - Pat Benatar - All Fired Up

Between 1979 and 1988, Pat Benatar charted 15 top 40 Singles and won 4 consecutive grammies.  If I was doing 1984 instead, "We Belong" might actually break my top ten.  "All Fired Up" was her last hit, reaching #19 in the summer of '88.

All Fired Up
Where I lived (New England), All Fired Up came out and was played hourly on every rock station for a week or two. The song was everywhere. Then it quickly fell out of rotation and pretty much was never heard again. It was shaping up to be a mega hit and then was in the discount bin in a heartbeat. I don’t remember other songs that flamed out so quickly. 

#97 - Robert Plant - Tall Cool One

I don't think I heard of Led Zepellin until I was like 13. All I knew of Robert Plant was the video for "Big Log," which I hated with a passion and couldn't understand why MTV insisted on playing it almost every hour in the summer of 1984. I still think "Big Log" is boring as hell, but "Tall Cool One," featuring Jimmy Page, isn't half bad.

Tall Cool One
At the time, Now And Zen was hailed as Plant's "return to rock" after spending 7 years (and 3 albums) in a staunchly anti-Zep new-wave-ish musical direction. In retrospect, the album's tone was arguably closer to his previous solo work than it was to "Whole Lotta Love". Much of the album's musical content was created and produced by a guy named Phil Johnstone (RIP May 2021), who earned the ire of Zep fans for having the audacity of not being Jimmy Page. Many have argued that if not for Johnstone, Plant would have abandoned his solo career and agreed to do a full-bore Led Zeppelin reunion. And it's probably true. But such a reunion would have ultimately tainted the legacy of Zep and dropped them into the tiers of the Deep Purples and Vanilla Fudges of the world. So, for that, I'm glad that Now And Zen exists.

Add 1988 was the year I was a disc jockey for KFMU the World's Only Wind Powered Radio Station (at least at that time) so I'll definitely be doing a Next-100 on this list when you're done.
I might volunteer to do a 3rd 100 for 1988 when you're done. Then again, I threatened to do a 4th 100 for 1969 and I never got around to finishing that, so...

I might volunteer to do a 3rd 100 for 1988 when you're done. Then again, I threatened to do a 4th 100 for 1969 and I never got around to finishing that, so...
Definitely will be a lot to still choose from, especially from mainstream rock and pop.  

#87 - Happy Mondays - Wrote for Luck

I think maybe half of my favorite bands are from Manchester.  It's why I picked Man City as my club back in the day (shout out to Noel Gallagher and Johnny Marr).  In 1998, Manchester nightclubs like The Hacienda became the epicenter for the UK's Second Summer of Love - fueled by indie/dance/rave music and lots of cheap ecstasy.  Thus "Madchester" was born, with Happy Mondays as its most drugged out flag bearers (as the video pretty much bears out).  Now please excuse me while I go marvel at Pablo Zabaleta modeling Madchester apparel.

Wrote for Luck

#87 - Happy Mondays - Wrote for Luck

I think maybe half of my favorite bands are from Manchester.  It's why I picked Man City as my club back in the day (shout out to Noel Gallagher and Johnny Marr).  In 1998, Manchester nightclubs like The Hacienda became the epicenter for the UK's Second Summer of Love - fueled by indie/dance/rave music and lots of cheap ecstasy.  Thus "Madchester" was born, with Happy Mondays as its most drugged out flag bearers (as the video pretty much bears out).  Now please excuse me while I go marvel at Pablo Zabaleta modeling Madchester apparel.

Wrote for Luck
You are not alone 

#86 - Cinderella - Gypsy Road

I always thought Cinderella was underrated and, like Tesla, transcended the "hair metal" moniker.  Admittedly, at least for Cinderella, the clothes and the hair did have something to do with them getting lumped in.  "Gypsy Road" was the first single off of 1988's "Long Cold Winter" but it only made it onto the Mainstream Rock charts.  It was subsequently re-released as a single in '89 after the band almost cracked the Top 10 with their second single and biggest hit of their career.

Gypsy Road

Even when I was knee deep in hair rock in the later 80s, I never thought Cinderella was anything more than just okay.  The ballad from the 2nd record was the biggie that every girl in high school loved. Gypsy Road is solid. Next. ;)  

Even when I was knee deep in hair rock in the later 80s, I never thought Cinderella was anything more than just okay.  The ballad from the 2nd record was the biggie that every girl in high school loved. Gypsy Road is solid. Next. ;)  
Just the opposite for me.  I always thought that Cinderella was underrated compared to some bigger bands such as Poison or Warrant.   I liked the bluesy style of hair metal that Keifer was doing.  

Just the opposite for me.  I always thought that Cinderella was underrated compared to some bigger bands such as Poison or Warrant.   I liked the bluesy style of hair metal that Keifer was doing.  
That's where I was going.  I would say Cinderella was firmly towards the top of the second tier for hair metal bands.  But especially by their third record,  the bluesy rock that had bled into Long Cold Winter was now front and center.  Still love "Shelter Me."

Young rockaction loved the first Cinderella album and played it out on a family trip to Florida one year. "Nobody's Fool" is still a very cool song, and I agree that Cinderella were rightfully lumped into hair metal because they were willing, but the sound had a little more substance than some of the others. The second album, Long Cold Winter, had a cool cover and cassette inlay, but that was as far as I got with the album. 

#86 - Cinderella - Gypsy Road

I always thought Cinderella was underrated and, like Tesla, transcended the "hair metal" moniker.  Admittedly, at least for Cinderella, the clothes and the hair did have something to do with them getting lumped in.  "Gypsy Road" was the first single off of 1988's "Long Cold Winter" but it only made it onto the Mainstream Rock charts.  It was subsequently re-released as a single in '89 after the band almost cracked the Top 10 with their second single and biggest hit of their career.

Gypsy Road
Has one of the best lyrics in all of hair metal, "And who's to care if I grow my hair to the sky!?"

Gypsy Road is awesome. 

While they never achieved the popularity of the best hair bands, they probably have the most songs I like from any hair band other than Motley Crue. Night Songs is a great album and a triple shot of Shake Me/Hell On Wheels/Somebody Save me will rock your proverbial socks off.

I meant to do a third 100 from 1971 this year — which rockaction and wikkid thought I had already done — but life and work got way too busy. So you’re not the only countdown slacker. 

I meant to do a third 100 from 1971 this year — which rockaction and wikkid thought I had already done — but life and work got way too busy. So you’re not the only countdown slacker. 
Not only have I messed up thinking that you'd done one that you never did, I've forgotten that I even thought that. 

Slipping here. 

She continues to hold the record for youngest person to ever write, perform, and produce a #1 hit, for Foolish Beat off of that same album. But I agree that Out of the Blue is the best song on that album.

THERE HE IS!

#84 - Brian Wilson - Love and Mercy

As a kid, I didn't have any idea of the Brian Wilson story - the intra-band squabbles, the mental illness/Eugene Landy controversy, the genius of Pet Sounds.  All I knew was the hits.  I remember reading a cover story in Rolling Stone in the summer of '88 that got into all the details and hailed Wilson's new self-titled release (his first real effort in more than a decade) as a triumphant return.  Despite being well over the Beach Boys, I took a chance and bought the cassette.  And I loved it, even if all my friends would make me put on something else when we were in the backyard playing wiffleball.  It was more headphones music anyway.  I've seen Brian Wilson a half-dozen times over the years.  "Love and Mercy" is always a highlight.

Love and Mercy

#83 - The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

Hmmm.  The album is from 1988.  The single is from 1988.  It went to #1 in Australia and #3 in the UK in 1988.  But it was rereleased in the U.S. in 1993 as part of the Benny and Joon soundtrack and made it all the way to #3 on the Hot 100.  Still, I gotta go with '88 on this one.

I know lots of people hate this song.  It brings me joy, at least as long as I only hear it once a month or so. Maybe it's because I'm full-blooded Scot on both sides. Or because of the busker in Glasgow that yelled at a tourist (not me) who requested it - "I'm not playing the ####ing Proclaimers, you ####."  It's certainly not because of Benny and Joon.

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

Hmmm.  The album is from 1988.  The single is from 1988.  It went to #1 in Australia and #3 in the UK in 1988.  But it was rereleased in the U.S. in 1993 as part of the Benny and Joon soundtrack and made it all the way to #3 on the Hot 100.  Still, I gotta go with '88 on this one.

I know lots of people hate this song.  It brings me joy, at least as long as I only hear it once a month or so. Maybe it's because I'm full-blooded Scot on both sides. Or because of the busker in Glasgow that yelled at a tourist (not me) who requested it - "I'm not playing the ####ing Proclaimers, you ####."  It's certainly not because of Benny and Joon.

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
I got tired of this very quickly in 1993.

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
I got tired of this very quickly in 1993.
I never liked it, but it had a funny ongoing bit on How I Met Your Mother.

#82 Kool Moe Dee - Wild Wild West

Alright, let's put this whole Proclaimers business behind us.

There were two Wild Wild Wests getting play in 1988.  One, by a complete throwaway band, hit #1 despite totally sucking.  The other, from a legendary Harlem MC, didn't crack the top 40 even though it totally ruled.  How ya like me now?

Wild Wild West

Feel like sharing, Scoob?
Not much to share.  It was kind of her song of the summer.  I was kind of her dude for the summer (because most people didn't stay in Harrisonburg for the summer).  She used to sing "Paul Anka!" instead of "Na na na!" when the chorus started.  When classes started back up in the fall, the song and I were afterthoughts.

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
Sunshine on Leith is a criminally underrated album.

Not much to share.  It was kind of her song of the summer.  I was kind of her dude for the summer (because most people didn't stay in Harrisonburg for the summer).  She used to sing "Paul Anka!" instead of "Na na na!" when the chorus started.  When classes started back up in the fall, the song and I were afterthoughts.
Didn't I read that story in a Rob Sheffield book?

There were two Wild Wild Wests getting play in 1988.  One, by a complete throwaway band, hit #1 despite totally sucking. 
1988 was my freshmen year of college so a lot of these songs hit an emotional, nostalgic chord.

The Escape Club version blasted at every dorm party. 

Heading for the nineties/living in the eighties 

Users who are viewing this thread