What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2007 Cleveland Browns Thread (1 Viewer)

erymer said:
Bobcat10 said:
So how long will our rags and radio stiffs keep harping on Braylon for missing one voluntary practice and now running routes on the 3rd team? This is not a story at this time, media lowlifes.
Key Word right there.... Voluntarywasn't he at the charity function he just set up for the kids scholarship funds. The media applaud's him for setting up the charity and it's major news. He misses a voluntary workout and now he's a cancer again. Gimmie a break. Again.....this is a non story. Braylon will break out this year.
It supposedly was not charity....personal issue that was unavoidable or something like that.Maybe he's working with the third team to get more reps with a certain QB? Hmmm, they'd never think of that though.
good point, but that seems kinda silly to me.if they want Quinn to have reps with Edwards, just give Quinn reps with the entire first team. :goodposting:
I thought Braylon also took reps with the 2nd team, as did Wilson. Seems to me they are just having the WRs go through and work with every QB on the roster for now. That would make sense as it's an open QB competition. Let all three QBs get a chance to toss around now and then make them fight for it in camp.
Braylon and all the other WRs take reps with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams all year long. Complete non-issue.

So how long will our rags and radio stiffs keep harping on Braylon for missing one voluntary practice and now running routes on the 3rd team? This is not a story at this time, media lowlifes.
Key Word right there.... Voluntarywasn't he at the charity function he just set up for the kids scholarship funds. The media applaud's him for setting up the charity and it's major news. He misses a voluntary workout and now he's a cancer again. Gimmie a break. Again.....this is a non story. Braylon will break out this year.
It supposedly was not charity....personal issue that was unavoidable or something like that.Maybe he's working with the third team to get more reps with a certain QB? Hmmm, they'd never think of that though.
good point, but that seems kinda silly to me.if they want Quinn to have reps with Edwards, just give Quinn reps with the entire first team. :unsure:
I thought Braylon also took reps with the 2nd team, as did Wilson. Seems to me they are just having the WRs go through and work with every QB on the roster for now. That would make sense as it's an open QB competition. Let all three QBs get a chance to toss around now and then make them fight for it in camp.
Braylon and all the other WRs take reps with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams all year long. Complete non-issue.
i figured there was a reasonable explanation. thanks.

Bentley update. We've all heard he wants to play this year. If he tries that and the Browns let him play, and gets reinjured, his career will likely be over. That said, his career might be over already.

I say the Browns should not let him return this year unless he was deemed 100%. Then just have him keep working hard for '08 to get as strong as possible and set that as his ultimate goal.

Bentley's third knee operation called off

Wednesday, June 06, 2007Tony GrossiPlain Dealer Reporter

A scheduled third surgery on LeCharles Bentley's left knee was canceled Tuesday, leaving the star-crossed Browns center's playing future as cloudy as ever.

Agent Jonathan Feinsod confirmed the surgery "is not going to be happening today" but declined to comment on whether it might be rescheduled.

Browns General Manager Phil Savage, who termed the development "a positive sign," said Bentley would re-evaluate his situation in three to four weeks.

"I'm told we'll be given some feedback at that time, in terms of where he's going to be when training camp rolls around," Savage said.

But Savage would not speculate on Bentley's chances of playing in 2007 or thereafter. And there are no indications that Bentley is in the team's plans, at least for now.

Bentley, the team's marquee free-agent signing of 2006, tore the patella tendon in his left knee on July 27 and had surgery the next day.

In the next month, a staph infection set in and he underwent another operation.

Since then, the Browns and Bentley apparently have been miles apart - literally and figuratively - on the course of his rehabilitation.

Bentley has rehabilitated outside the auspices of the club. He has worked mostly in a training facility in Arizona - the identity of which Savage would not disclose - and partially in Columbus.

Savage said he has not seen or spoken with Bentley since the start of free agency in March.

"LeCharles and I talked before free agency and we had some good conversations," he said. "I know that several people both in the medical area and the administrative side have spoken to LeCharles over the spring. The conversation then was that he would go to Arizona, get away, do rehab and figure out where he's going to go with all of this.

"With a player like LeCharles, you have to give him some freedom and some room to operate. Obviously, we've had some communication with his representatives."

Feinsod would not comment on the relationship Bentley currently has with the Browns.

"Nothing's going on," Feinsod said.

Feinsod previously has said he expected Bentley to play in 2007. But the Browns turned that page when they re-signed Hank Fraley to a four-year contract in March.

Bentley has not participated in the team's off-season program and has been away while the team is installing a new offensive system.

Asked if Bentley has a copy of the Browns' playbook, Savage said: "I can't answer that question. I'm thinking the offensive line coaches and Chud [offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski] have talked to LeCharles at least on one occasion."

Savage termed it "a unique situation."

"He's a hometown guy, got a big contract and it all ended in one day," Savage said. "So it's definitely a little different situation from some of our other players who've had injuries. But he's a unique player and talent."

Bentley was signed to a six-year contract for $36 million with a $12 million signing bonus. His base salary is scheduled to be $2.4 million in 2008, $3.4 million in '09, $5.9 million in '10 and $5.9 million in '11.

Savage said in the past Bentley would remain a member of the Browns in 2007, but the club would re-evaluate his status after that.

Bentley will count $3.4 million on the Browns' salary cap in 2007. He would count $8.6 million if they released him. In 2008, he would count $4.4 million if he stayed on the roster and $5.6 million if the club released him.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=6850

Puppy 'dawgs' a hit in Canton

Steve King, Staff Writer

As he introduced the featured speaker Tuesday in a tent on the Pro Football Hall of Fame grounds, Canton (Ohio) Repository sports writer Steve Doerschuk expounded on the fact that the Browns' top dawg, he-doesn't-look-his-age head coach Romeo Crennel, will turn 60 in a little less than two weeks.

But by the time the Canton Browns Backers' third annual Evening with the Cleveland Browns was over, it was three other young pups in particular -- and countless others in general -- about whom everybody was barking.

As the event wound down with a live auction, offensive tackle Kelly Butler, just 24, finally won a bidding war with a member of the audience for the first item on the block, an AKC pug that was just 2½ months old and only about the size of a kitten. After his offer of $3,500 -- enough to buy a whole kennel full of pugs -- was accepted by Crennel, acting as the auctioneer at that point, the fourth-year pro cradled the dog and walked over to a table near the front of the room and handed it to a boy who had helped auction workers bring the animal to the podium.

"Here, this is yours. You keep it," Butler said to stunned 12-year-old Logan Jones, a sixth-grader at Jackson Memorial Middle School in suburban Canton's Jackson Township and the son of Tim Jones, Canton Browns Backers secretary and a member of the board of directors of The Friends of The Children's Network of Stark County.

Holding the puppy as securely as if it were a football and he were carrying it into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown, Logan Jones wore a smile seemingly as wide as the 6-foot-7 Butler's wingspan as the audience roared its approval.

It was that kind of night, for the young and the young at heart, as proceeds benefit The Friends of The Children's Network, a 20-year-old community partnership of caring professionals who help children and their families cope with exposure to violence and the sexual and severe physical abuse of children.

"This is a great turnout for a really good cause," Crennel said.

Moving the event outdoors to the tent was a way for the Browns Backers to attract a bigger crowd. It worked, as attendance was a full house of about 300, or 85 more than could be housed in the HOF's banquet room, where the event was held the previous two years.

More people means more money. Canton Browns Backers president Chuck Schuster said the inaugural event in 2005 raised $19,000, with $39,000 being generated in '06. A goal of $50,000 was set for this year. It's not known if that was reached, but Butler's contribution got the effort off to a rousing start.

A lot happened before that, however. After holding a brief press conference with the media, Crennel, Butler, fullback Lawrence Vickers, defensive end Simon Fraser and former Browns stars Bob Gain and Tom Cousineau signed autographs, talked to fans and posed for photos.

Afterwards, Crennel offered encouraging words about the team.

"The Browns are making progress," he said. "We're off to a good start after the number of good players we added in free agency and the draft. We're beginning to build a good nucleus."

Crennel said that in spite of what many people think, the success of the Cavaliers and Indians this season is not putting pressure on the Browns.

"We put pressure on ourselves to do well," he pointed out.

He then said that while a lot has been made about the history of the Browns, which he respects, his focus is on today.

"The only thing any of you care about is what the Cleveland Browns are going to do this year," Crennel said. "And we're trying to make this year meaningful."

It is already, based on all of the good things that came out of the event.

And as Crennel spoke, one could see through the plastic windows of the tent that, for the first time all day, the skies were clearing and the sun was breaking out, plus the temperature seemed to be rising a few degrees, warming the hearts of everyone as the auction continued.

Indeed, then, with the help of Mother Nature, youth was being served.

Well, dawg-gone.

I didn't see this one posted, and I thought it was worthy. A back-up making the league minimum does something like this! That's alot better than all the arrest stories from a lot of other teams.

I say the Browns should not let him return this year unless he was deemed 100%. Then just have him keep working hard for '08 to get as strong as possible and set that as his ultimate goal.
Agreed.
I think that an 80% Bentley is the best option that they have at center. The sooner they can get him to play and have Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, LeCharles Bentley....that would be very good news for Brady Quinn.

Fraley is actually a pretty good center and Friedman is a good option if he goes down. I wouldn't mind if they played it safe with Bentley this year.

Lewis running for the Browns now

John Clayton

ESPN.com

BEREA, Ohio -- At a recent minicamp practice just outside of Cleveland, Jamal Lewis took a handoff, made one cut to his left around the guard and rambled 30 yards downfield.

It was like old times with a new twist. Lewis has been running all over the Browns' defense since he entered the NFL in 2000. In 12 games spread over six seasons, Lewis turned the Browns' defense black and blue, gaining 1,524 yards with a staggering average of 5.6 yards per carry. That's almost 20 percent of his 7,801 career rushing yards. Cleveland might rock, but Lewis always has rolled when he sees a Cleveland uniform.

The new twist this season is that he's running for the Browns instead of over them. Though he had been a symbol of Baltimore's power offense, both he and the Ravens were looking for change this offseason.

"It's real odd," Lewis said of his transition. "Sometimes change is good. I needed a fresh start. I needed one last year."

It was hard for both the Ravens and Lewis to part ways. They had a lot of special moments together. Lewis got a Super Bowl ring in Baltimore. In 2003, he rushed for 2,066 yards. Instead of franchising him last offseason, the Ravens worked out a lucrative three-year extenion, which in reality was a one-year deal that paid Lewis $6 million for the 2006 season. Even though he was coming off a disappointing 2005 season in which he rushed for just 906 yards, he was still only 26 years old at the time.

This offseason the Ravens were forced to release Lewis to clear salary cap room. While Lewis and the Ravens kept in touch with the hopes of reuniting, in the end, Lewis signed a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Browns. If he plays well, Lewis' salary could be boosted to $5 million.

"I didn't fit in Baltimore," Lewis said. "They wanted to spread it around and get a back to get the ball to through the air. That's what they wanted. You know me. I'm a physical runner. They wanted to pay more attention to spreading it around and throwing it around."

That's a league-wide trend these days. Teams are turning more to two-back rotations and moving away from having one back pound the ball on the ground all game. Spread offenses need halfbacks who have the ability to get into routes and force coverage in the secondary to free up receivers.

That's not Lewis. He's never had a 50-catch season. He's Jerome Bettis with speed. Though coaches still like to wear down defenses occasionally with one big back, the focus now is to confuse and create with different formations. At 27, Lewis is kind of a dinosaur, albeit a well-conditioned, talented dinosaur.

"I'm 27 years old but I'm still fresh and still healthy," Lewis said. "I had the ankle problems over the past two years, but I had the surgery. Mentally, I'm good. I just needed to get into the right situation."

Cleveland is a good fit because it is a franchise that needs just about everything. The Browns had the NFL's second-worst running attack last season and averaged just 14.9 points per game. General manager Phil Savage, who was involved in drafting Lewis in Baltimore, believes Lewis is a back who can get them through this season.

"I think if Jamal stays healthy and our offensive line comes along and becomes the offensive line we want it to be, I think he'll have a chance for a rushing title," Browns coach Romeo Crennel said.

Former Browns great Jim Brown watched this week's minicamp and he was impressed with Lewis. "Good speed, knocks people down, he's what you call a horse," Brown told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

What Lewis likes about the Browns is there is more of a commitment to run than what he saw in Baltimore the last two years. The new offense features more motion. It disguises the run and the pass. He also likes what the team is doing with the offensive line, giving $7 million a year to guard Eric Steinbach and drafting left tackle Joe Thomas in the first round.

The Ravens' offensive line was getting younger, something Lewis didn't like and he struggled last year. While he rushed for 1,122 yards in 2006, Lewis averaged just 3.6 yards per carry.

What he hopes to run away from this season are questions about his diminished speed. He hopes the ankle surgery will bring back his speed.

Lewis normally trains at 255 pounds, but he came to minicamp this year at 248 pounds. On the advice of coaches, Lewis plans to lose 10 more pounds to get to 238 for training camp to give him an extra bounce in his step.

"I don't buy the thought that people say I'm out of gas and I don't have anything in the tank,'" Lewis said.

He'll get a chance to prove that this year for the team he used to fill his tank up against.
Link

Quinn working through early growing pains

John Clayton

ESPN.com

BEREA, Ohio -- Charlie Weis prepared Brady Quinn for just about everything at Notre Dame.

Weis taught Quinn an NFL offense and gave him the ability to unleash it against college defenses. In some ways, Quinn was like a master's student in a classroom of freshmen. Quinn learned the West Coast offense from Tyrone Willingham. Weis took him to new levels with his imaginative schemes. He was a great student.

What Quinn wasn't prepared for was what happened since he left South Bend. Draft day was a disaster. He sat in the Green Room watching team after team pass on him. Although he was elated to be rescued by the Browns with the 22nd pick in the first round, he felt as battered as David Carr during a 70-sack season.

His first few minicamp performances have been filled with inaccurate passes, which shouldn't be a surprise. The Browns are installing a completely new offense, a copy of the Mike Martz-Norv Turner-Air Coryell system. Passes hit the ground more often in Browns minicamp than at most minicamps currently going on, but those incompletions aren't limited to Quinn. Receivers are also learning the steps, and Charlie Frye and others are adjusting to the terminology.

The problem for Quinn is that criticism of his accuracy was one of the reasons he slipped in the first round. Quinn is fighting an uphill battle in his role at Browns camp.

"I don't think I'm quite there yet," Quinn said. "It's hard to put down a percentage on it. There's a lot of time left. Hopefully, we'll have a better indication once training camp starts."

That's another problem for Quinn. To report to training camp, Quinn needs to sign a contract, and that won't be easy. Arguably, he lost $20 million to $30 million in guarantees by dropping from the top of the draft to the 22nd pick. He's in a slot that merits a five-year contract that would average less than $1.8 million a year. Quinn is on a team that paid a guard (Eric Steinbach) $7 million a year, and a tackle not expected to start (Kevin Shaffer) more than $6 million a year.

How can the future quarterback of the Browns lock himself into a deal in which he would make that much less than the blockers in front of him?

"I am just focused on what is front of me," said Quinn, who's leaving the finances to his agent, Tom Condon.

Quinn doesn't look like he doesn't belong, even though he's alternating with Ken Dorsey as the third or fourth quarterback. His footwork coming back from center isn't as precise as it will be once he's more comfortable with the terminology and the receivers around him. His passes aren't awful -- some are a little high. Some miss the mark, but part of that is due to the fact that the Browns' receivers aren't exactly among the NFL's elite. Most of them are long striders in an offense that works best with quick-footed receivers who get in and out of their routes quickly.

Browns coach Romeo Crennel summed up Quinn's situation best.

"I would say the experienced guys are the experienced guys, and you know, I favor those guys a little bit, and the rookie is still the rookie," Crennel said with a small smile.

What helps Quinn is his attitude. He's a good guy and his teammates like him. Returning offensive players favor Frye as the starter because he's been through the NFL wars with them the past couple of seasons. Local observers, though, don't discount Derek Anderson's chances of being the opening day starter because he seems the most natural of all the quarterbacks in dropping back, studying the defense and getting rid of the ball. Players like Quinn's demeanor and work ethic. He lifts with the offensive linemen because he's one of the strongest quarterbacks to come into the league in years. At the combine in Indianapolis, he benched 225 pounds 24 times.

"The toughest thing for Brady is just not being too hard on himself," wide receiver Braylon Edwards said. "The situation he is in, a lot is expected of him. He needs to try and please the people and the crowd. He had the first-round situation. He has the quarterback controversy, all of those things. All he needs to do is focus on the playbook."

Edwards understands because he was a high first-round pick with plenty of expectations playing on a franchise that has been operating under a cloud. The Browns haven't had a winning season since 2002. The offense has been stuck in neutral, averaging 17 points or less the past four years. In 2006 and 2005, respectively, the Browns scored 14.9 and 14.5 points a game.

The Browns' offense is operating on the assumption Frye will be the starter. Sure, players understand Cleveland football fans. They are rabid about their Browns. They also root for hometown heroes. LeBron James saved the Cavs. They expect the same out of Quinn, who grew up in Columbus and went to Dublin High School.

Frye also understands he's in a tough spot. If he struggles early -- and that is expected as the offense tries to come together -- fans will be calling for Quinn, who very well could be the third-string, inactive quarterback heading into the regular season. If Quinn has a long holdout, that could be a lock.

"Going into this offseason, I kind of expected a new quarterback was going to be added to the team," Frye said. "I just approached this offseason as if I am the starter and that is how I prepared. You have to prepare yourself that you are going to go out there and just lead this team and just to make strides."

Whether fans will be patient depends on the how the team starts. The pressure is on everyone to start quickly. The Browns have their three division home games and a game against the Raiders in September. If the team starts slow, Crennel might be in danger of losing his job by the team's Week 7 bye.

The offense is changing running backs with Jamal Lewis replacing Reuben Droughns. The Browns are breaking in a new left side of the line with Steinbach and first-round choice Joe Thomas. Quinn is trying to make the best of his situation before awaiting a tricky contract negotiation. It hasn't been easy.

"It was more like my senior year of college football with the ups and downs,'' Quinn said of his post-Notre Dame days. "In the end, it ended up, not necessarily the way you dreamt of, but you are in the right place and you are more than happy to be here."

Quinn loves wearing the Browns' colors. What Weis couldn't prepare him for is the struggle that came with earning that honor.
Link

I think Browns fans are going to love what Chud brings to the table. I know I already do. :shock:

Rob Chudzinski runs the distance to Browns

New offensive coordinator ready to tackle unit's problems with fresh energy

By Patrick McManamon

Akron Beacon Journal

BEREA - Rob Chudzinski couldn't play, so he ran.

He turned away from the video camera he had been assigned to operate, and he ran. Back and forth, across the gravel-covered roof of the building that overlooked the University of Miami practice field.

He ran sprints and distances, and then he ran some more.

And down below, where the team practiced, nobody knew that the kid who had lugged the video equipment up a ladder with his left hand wrapped and bandaged was running.

Chudzinski had been relegated to camerawork because the too-slow, too-this, too-that kid from Toledo had mangled his left wrist and hand putting it through a plate-glass window during a summer basketball game. It was a bloody mess that left Chudzinski with severed tendons and nerves and no feeling in the fingers of his left hand.

But he was on scholarship, the UM folks figured, so while he healed, he'd film practice.

Then they'd see if he'd play again.

That wasn't good enough for Chudzinski, who was given one of the last scholarships at Miami in 1986.

``I love when people say I can't do something,'' said Chudzinski, the Browns' new offensive coordinator, during a recent interview at the team's practice facility. ``I love when people say that because it motivates me and drives me to prove them wrong.''

So he ran.

And before the year ended, he wound up playing in a national championship game win over Oklahoma. Before his career ended with the Hurricanes, Chudzinski had won two national titles for two coaches and been an integral element of a Hurricanes offense that featured many NFL players.

On a team of personalities and characters, Chudzinski was the undersized but dependable tight end who gained as much respect as his more famous teammates (such as Michael Irvin and Bennie Blades).

``I was kind of the classic overachiever guy,'' he said. ``Undersized. Underspeeded, if that's a word. Under-athletic. All those kind of things.''

To this day, he does not have feeling in the fingers of his left hand. Yet that did not stop him.

``I think it's just one of those things that you figure out a way,'' he said.

Call that his mantra, for Chudzinski seems to figure it out every time he's told the way is impossible.

Chudzinski has spent almost every day since January trying to figure out a way to get a new offense installed with the Browns. He has the responsibility of pulling together an offense that has been downright offensive the past few years. The Browns' offense has not finished better than 26th in the league in the past four years, has no set quarterback and is going through yet another rebirth.

Focused, hands-on style

Much is made, and rightly so, of the Browns' three first-day draft picks, but the team's fortunes this season could rest as much on the hiring of Chudzinski.

``He's the best coach I know,'' said Browns tight end Kellen Winslow, who learned under Chudzinski at Miami. ``My father taught me the game, but (Chudzinski) took me under his wing and taught me everything I needed to know.''

How does Chudzinski attack the challenge with the Browns? The same way he attacked things at Miami -- by running. And running. And running some more.

``I've been back to San Diego for one day to pack up my office,'' he said of his former home. ``Otherwise I've been in the office nearly all day, every day.''

The story goes that Bear Bryant once saw the light on in his defensive coordinator's office late at night, and Bryant told a reporter: ``There he is again, making me look like a genius.''

``He's always here,'' Browns backup quarterback Ken Dorsey said. ``No matter when you come to the facility, he's up there working.''

Late nights in the office are merely a start, though. If hours worked guaranteed wins, every NFL coach would be undefeated. Chudzinski tries to take the attitude that worked in Miami to the practice field.

In the team's rookie minicamp, Mike Mason, an undrafted player from Tennessee State, ran the wrong route on one of the first 11-on-11 plays.

``Get Mason out,'' Chudzinski yelled as the offense re-huddled.

Another player took his place, but a few plays later, Mason was lined up wide. He ran down the field, and quarterback Brady Quinn threw short, clearly expecting Mason to break off the route.

Mason slapped himself in the head after the play, and receivers coach Wes Chandler let Mason know he had made a mistake.

Chudzinski yelled to Chandler to take Mason out.

The rookie wound up watching most of the rest of practice, standing alone.

The tough-love scene is not untypical in the NFL, but it was a glimpse into the approach of the new offensive coordinator, who was as demanding of an undrafted player in a rookie minicamp as he is the team's starter in a full-squad practice.

``That's the first thing that can kill you, if a guy is not doing what he's supposed to do,'' Chudzinski said.

Chudzinski probably would hate that Mason is being mentioned -- and Mason remains on the roster -- but the coach clearly holds players accountable and wants precision in every play of every practice.

``That's all you need,'' he said. ``Eleven guys going out executing, doing their job. If you have 11 guys doing it, you'll be fine.''

Former Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon was a silent type who stood far back from players. He was hardly heard at practices, and players complained that when he was heard, it was negative.

Chudzinski seems to be everywhere.

``Don't quit on that route,'' he yelled to Kendrick Mosley during a receivers drill.

``Come out of it,'' he yelled to another receiver running an out.

``That's it -- now get back into it,'' he said after the receiver caught the ball and turned up the field.

When a running back stopped about 15 yards downfield and started to turn back to the huddle, Chudzinski sprinted down the field, pointed to his left and yelled: ``The end zone is that way.''

When the veterans reported, part of one practice included Chudzinski telling receivers where to line up on plays.

``That's three yards,'' he would say, pointing to the spot three yards outside the tackle. Not 3 ½ or four. Three.

``He came in the first day and started talking about precision,'' receiver Joe Jurevicius said. ``He's always talking about splits, he's always talking about depth.''

Precision. Accountability. Attention.

All seem to be his focus, and it almost seems as if it's his focus because that's how he had to approach things when he played.

Chudzinski grew up in or near Toledo, moving several times in the area. His family followed the Browns, and he jokes that a photo of him much like Quinn's exists, wearing a Browns jersey around the age of 4.

``Classic '70s, though,'' Chudzinski said. ``I had on the bell-bottoms with the stripes.''

He played basketball and football, and ran track.

As he described his track career, he laughed. ``I was kind of the guy in the meet that if they needed somebody to do something, I'd go, but I wasn't winning anything,'' he said.

The only schools that recruited Chudzinski out of St. John's Jesuit High School were Mid-American Conference schools, until at the last minute Miami called. It was January, so he figured what the heck, he'd make the flight south, never expecting a scholarship.

But at the end of the visit, Jimmy Johnson called him in and offered him one.

``My jaw about hit the ground,'' he said. Baffled, he asked if he could go home first. Johnson agreed, and Chudzinski called soon after arriving home to take it.

Chudzinski redshirted his first year, then went back home in the summer. During a pickup basketball game with friends, he went for a loose ball, and his left hand found the plate-glass window.

Arteries were partially severed, the tendons that go to his middle finger were cut and the nerve that controls the sensation in his hand was severed.

``It was pretty significant,'' he deadpanned.

Many thought his career was over. UM coaches sent him up on the roof to videotape practice. He used the occasion to stay in shape, and by the opener of the next season, he was starting and catching a 19-yard touchdown pass in a 31-0 drubbing of rival Florida State, then ranked No. 1.

Those were wild days in football in Florida.

The season started with the Seminoles celebrating their No. 1 ranking with a video dubbed the ``Seminole Rap.'' The Hurricanes, though, were the team with the reputation for dancing and celebrating.

It also was a team with amazing talent -- and an attitude in practice that would make some teams flinch. Miami practices were more physical than games, with players celebrating big hits and taunting teammates after plays. The games were merely an extension of practice.

How did a slow, undersized tight end succeed?

``The bottom line was that if you weren't tough, if you weren't competitive, you were not going to survive,'' Chudzinski said. ``If you were weak, not mentally tough, you weren't going to make it.

``That's another thing that helped me evolve.''

Career path

Chudzinski knew he had few professional prospects -- ``I didn't get drafted, and there were 12 rounds in the draft then,'' he said -- so he stayed at Miami and worked on his MBA. Soon after, he started to work for a business consulting company, where he was until he ran into Hurricanes coach Dennis Erickson.

``He asked out of the blue when I was going to come coach for him,'' Chudzinski said.

``I remember that,'' said Erickson, now the coach at Arizona State. ``When he played, he was always a smart player, an overachiever. He approached things the right way. Some guys, you can just tell. Some will be good coaches, some won't.

``He was one I always thought would work out because he had the approach and the demeanor.''

Chudzinski stayed one year as a graduate assistant while working toward his master's, then was promoted to tight ends coach when Butch Davis became coach.

When Davis came to the Browns, his successor, Larry Coker, made Chudzinski offensive coordinator. While Chudzinski was coaching, Miami made the cover of Sports Illustrated when the magazine suggested the football program be abolished. ``That was the low point,'' Chudzinski said.

He remembered hearing that folks said the team could never get back to where it was.

``That for me was a motivation -- to be part of helping the program get back to where it was,'' he said. ``We did that.''

In his three years as coordinator, the Hurricanes won one national title, played for another and won 11 games the third year. In 2002, Miami's offense set school records for points (527), total yards (6,074) and rushing touchdowns (33) and averaged 40.5 points per game.

Davis brought him to the Browns to coach tight ends and to work with Winslow, but that lasted one year. When Davis ``resigned,'' Chudzinski went to the San Diego Chargers for two years.

Browns General Manager Phil Savage then tabbed him in this offseason to take over the team's offense.

Chudzinski brought a whole new playbook and a whole new play-calling system. It's based on many facets of his experience, but its terminology goes back to the days of Air Coryell, on which Norv Turner based his offense with the Dallas Cowboys in the '90s -- an offense that Chudzinski worked with at Miami.

He sees no shortcuts and has no magic elixir that will transform things. His play calling is logical but won't revolutionize football. He said there are no ``magic plays,'' but there is something to ``timing and execution.''

``The key to offensive football is knowing what your people can do and putting them in the best positions to win,'' he said. ``Utilizing their skills. And execution. Stressing execution. You can run the simplest plays, you can run the most complicated plays. But you have to execute.''

So a split has to be precise, and a route has to be correct, even if it's run by an undrafted free agent at one of the first practices of a rookie minicamp.

Chudzinski does not shy from the reality of his situation. He knows Browns coach Romeo Crennel might be on the hot seat this season, and he knows that if Crennel goes and a new coach comes in, he might go as well.

But he said that reality goes with the territory. And he need only point to his former team, where Marty Schottenheimer was let go after the Chargers went 14-2 last season.

The pull of home, the pull of the Browns meant too much to Chudzinski not to return.

``This place is close to my heart,'' he said.

Ask him who influences his thinking, and Chudzinski names almost every coach he has worked for, but he made a point to remember Fred Beier, his high school coach at St. John's.

``He instilled a lot of things in me that I'm trying to instill now as far as work ethic, toughness, determination and teamwork,'' Chudzinski said.

He then goes through Johnson, Gary Stevens (his offensive coordinator at Miami and a Cleveland native), Erickson (whom he credits for changing football with the one-back, spread-offense system), Davis, Turner and Coryell.

Then he mentioned one other person.

Someone not in football, named Barbara Vogel. She's Chudzinski's aunt and was a big part of his life when he grew up.

``You ask why I'd come back to this situation and all, and she always said something to me that will always be a part of me,'' he said. ``And that's to remember where you came from.''

Chudzinski the man came from Ohio, and he wanted to return.

And Chudzinski the player and coach came from the roof, where he started running when folks told him he couldn't make it at Miami with a bad hand.

Now he's come to the NFL, to a team that has struggled and an offense that has had almost no success.

And he's still running.

And I expect Eric Wright to be the starting CB opposite Leigh Bodden come Sept. 9th...

Wright off to a strong start

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Tony Grossi

Cleveland Plain Dealer

The best rookie at Browns minicamp wasn't either of the first-round picks, tackle Joe Thomas or quarterback Brady Quinn.

The one draft choice who stood out was cornerback Eric Wright, the second-round pick from Nevada-Las Vegas.

"If anybody stood above anybody, I think probably Wright's ability stood above because he does have good ability and that showed up," coach Romeo Crennel said.

Wright began the minicamp with the second-team defense and ended it sharing reps on the first unit. Some of that had to do with Leigh Bodden missing all five practices after off-season ankle surgery.

But make no mistake, Wright is off to a good start in challenging for a starting spot come September.

"I see a very intelligent player. He's very instinctual and he's aware. And he's very coachable," said secondary coach Mel Tucker Jr.

"He seems comfortable in the surroundings. He's not overwhelmed. He's not a guy that gets easily rattled."

Wright came advertised as a first-round talent who dropped in rankings because of an off-field transgression as a red-shirt freshman at Southern California. Wright transferred to UNLV, rather than serve a lengthy suspension, and played only one full season before leaving early for the draft.

Wright had only 10 career starts in college, six at UNLV. Thomas had 37 starts at Wisconsin. Quinn had 46 at Notre Dame. Yet Wright easily was the most impressive of the three in five noncontact practices.

"Just because I'm seemingly inexperienced doesn't mean that I can't play. I think I showed people I belong here," Wright said.

Thomas and Quinn, like the veterans surrounding them, fell victim to the numbing mental responsibilities of the new Rob Chudzinski offense. Thomas stayed with the second-team unit throughout the three days. Quinn was with the third team.

Wright flowed freely and easily into a secondary begging for a shutdown cornerback to stabilize the position opposite Bodden. Wright had at least three interceptions in minicamp.

Nobody is projecting Wright just yet as a starter.

"Right now, you can't see him making contact, making open-field tackles, playing run support, being a willing contact player," Tucker cautioned about the "touch football" element of minicamp. "Now, we know what he's done in the past and I don't expect to be disappointed in that regard. I saw [on college video] a player that will get done what we ask him to get done."

Grossi's Minicamp observations:

Personal views after observing eight Browns practices - three in the OTA portion and five in minicamp:

The one veteran addition to the defense that could make the biggest impact is nose tackle Shaun Smith. At 6-2 and 325 pounds, he looks the part of a gap-clogging nose in the 3-4. Until this position is filled by a competent young player, the Browns can't realistically expect that much improvement in their run defense.

Coaches must have said a dozen times, "Everybody looks good in shorts." The cliche refers to the absence of a live pass rush and simulated physical contact, which tends to hide the deficiencies of players. The myth was debunked at minicamp. Personally, I have never seen so many thrown balls hit the ground in this touch football setting. Quarterbacks, backs and receivers were way off. When the ball was on target, receivers dropped it an alarming number of times.

Running back Jamal Lewis looked in great shape and should be a quantum improvement over Reuben Droughns. Still, the depth behind him is questionable.

Inside linebacker D'Qwell Jackson may be as big as he's going to get. He didn't seem much bigger than his rookie playing dimensions of 6 feet, 228 pounds.
Love the blurb about Jamal Lewis. :lmao:

Browns announce dates for 2007 training camp

Posted by Cleveland Browns press release June 15, 2007 16:44PM

The Cleveland Browns officially open the 2007 National Football League campaign with the start of training camp on Friday, July 27 at the Browns training facility in Berea, Ohio. Training camp practices are open to the public free of charge and will conclude on Thursday, August 23.

The Browns will be on the field a total of 22 days with 29 practices scheduled in Berea. Seven evening practices will take place throughout camp which will allow families to attend after the work day. Event details including specific dates and times for training camp will be announced next month.

The Browns and AT&T present Family Night at Cleveland Browns Stadium, in association with Cleveland Clinic Sports Health, cleveland.com and National City Bank on Friday, August 3rd beginning at 7:00 p.m. The team will break away from their daily training camp practice schedule in Berea to practice at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Fans can enjoy music, inflatables and numerous giveaways starting at 5:00 p.m. outside the Stadium on Alfred Lerner Way.

Tickets for Family Night are available at www.clevelandbrowns.com, the Cleveland Browns ticket office, www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations or by calling Ticketmaster (216) 241-5555. Tickets are $5 with proceeds benefiting the Cleveland Browns Foundation.
:banned:

Anderson reminds Browns he's in mix at QB

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Mary Kay Cabot

Cleveland Plain Dealer

Derek Anderson, after hearing for the hundredth time that Charlie Frye has a leg up in the quarterback competition, reminded Browns coach Romeo Crennel that he, too, has a leg.

Two of them, in fact.

"I run a long ways, like 33 yards," joked Anderson, who's not known for his Michael Vick-like wheels but still ripped off a 33-yard run against Kansas City in over time last sea son to set up the game-win ning field goal.

While most folks assume that it's a two-horse race between Frye and No. 1 pick Brady Quinn, dark horse Anderson still is a good bet.

"I'd say my chances of starting are good," Anderson said. "That's just my sense. I think they're going to give us an equal opportunity. Whoever performs well and moves the team the best is going to be that guy."

Crennel acknowledged that Anderson has the best arm among the three, but it takes more than that to get the job done.

"Along with that, you have to be able to run the offense," Crennel said. "He's getting an equal number of reps as the rest of those guys. He's in the competition and we'll see how it plays out."

During minicamp and organized team activities, Frye and Anderson split the first-team reps, with Quinn and Ken Dorsey backing them up. Anderson said nothing should be read into the fact that he was the first man up in the two-minute drill on the last day of minicamp.

"No, we've been rotating back and forth pretty much every day and getting reps and mixing guys in and out," Anderson said. "When I get in there, I just try to make the most of my opportunities."

Of course, none of the quarterbacks managed a touchdown or even a field goal in their first crack at the two-minute drill, and the entire offense was forced to run gassers as a result. Anderson and Frye fared better the second time, each producing field goals.

"They're all struggling," Crennel said of the quarterbacks. "We've got a lot of offense in and we haven't really honed in on it well enough yet."

Anderson said he feels comfortable in offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski's new system because it focuses on two of his strengths, timing throws and down-the-field throws.

"With my limited mobility, throwing on time is obviously part of my thing," Anderson said. "Making those timing throws and getting the ball out on time helps the whole system, the whole line, the running game - it helps everything. I think I do a pretty good job of that most of the time and I'll keep working on that, too."

But Anderson insists he's not merely Lurch lumbering around in the pocket.

"I can move a little bit," he said. "I've got a guy back home [in Oregon] that I work on some agility stuff with and our strength coaches do a pretty good job of that, too. I'll stay on top of that and keep the feet moving."

Anderson gained favor with some of the Browns coaches last season when he came off the bench to rally the team from a 14-point deficit and beat Kansas City in overtime. The following week, he made his first NFL start in Pittsburgh and showed tremendous poise and ability to sidestep the rush - but was victimized by dropped passes. The next week, he was sacked five times in Baltimore, but still managed to complete 13 straight passes in the loss and spread the ball to eight receivers.

But a week later against Tampa Bay when he completed 10 passes and was intercepted four times for a 12.3 rating before leaving with a separated shoulder. But by then, he had intrigued Crennel enough to force a legitimate competition for the job.

Still, Anderson knew the Browns were probably going to either draft a quarterback or sign one in free agency.

"When Brady Quinn started to drop on draft day, I kind of expected something might happen," Anderson said. "It's just the way this league is. They're always looking for something better. I didn't really get down. I was talking to my wife and said 'I'm just going to go do it and whatever happens, happens.' I've just got to know when it's all over that I gave it all I had."

For now, the mystery of the front-runner is as big to the quarterbacks as it is to everyone else.

"We just come in and put our work in and we'll let the chips fall where they may during training camp," Anderson said. "Eventually they'll have to make a decision."

wadegarrett said:
The Browns and AT&T present Family Night at Cleveland Browns Stadium, in association with Cleveland Clinic Sports Health, cleveland.com and National City Bank on Friday, August 3rd beginning at 7:00 p.m. The team will break away from their daily training camp practice schedule in Berea to practice at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Fans can enjoy music, inflatables and numerous giveaways starting at 5:00 p.m. outside the Stadium on Alfred Lerner Way.

Tickets for Family Night are available at www.clevelandbrowns.com, the Cleveland Browns ticket office, www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations or by calling Ticketmaster (216) 241-5555. Tickets are $5 with proceeds benefiting the Cleveland Browns Foundation.
:pickle:
free Staph infection for the first 1,000 fans through the gate!

wadegarrett said:

<_<
NICE! The Cleveland Clinic is loaded with them.

wadegarrett said:

:thumbup:
:shrug: And a free torn ACL to take home!

LeChuck to suit up this year

Bentley will try to come back this year

Told last fall his career was over, Browns center hopes to defy odds by returning to field

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Mary Kay Cabot

Plain Dealer Reporter

Despite being told he'd never play football again, Browns center and hometown favorite LeCharles Bentley said this week he'll try to make a comeback this season.

"I've been fortunate enough to have worked myself into a position to even think about playing football again," Bentley said in an exclusive interview with The Plain Dealer. "In spite of some major hurdles, I've been truly blessed all along the way to the point where I might possibly play this year."

Bentley, who will be in Berea for the first day of training camp July 27, revealed that he has undergone four surgeries over the past 11 months instead of the two that have been previously reported.

The first was to repair the torn left patella tendon suffered on the first day of contact drills last July. The next two were to clean out a life- and limb-threatening staph infection that penetrated the joint following the initial surgery. Those were each followed by a 30-day stay at the Cleveland Clinic. And the fourth operation, performed by Giants team physician Dr. Russell Warren in New York in November, was to clean out more staph and remove a portion of the tendon that was eaten away by the infection.

It was after that fourth surgery that Warren, one of the nation's most prominent orthopedic surgeons, told Bentley -- a two-time Pro Bowler with a lifelong dream to play for his hometown Browns -- that he'd never play football again.

"He told me to retire and he basically bet his license that I'd never play football again," said Bentley, who grew up in Cleveland and played at St. Ignatius and Ohio State.

Undaunted, Bentley, 27, rehabbed in Cleveland and then flew to Phoenix in January to focus entirely on his recovery.

"At that point, it was more just about living a normal life than playing football again," Bentley said. "I was trying to learn how to walk up the stairs again."

Bentley flew back and forth to New York to see Warren, who scheduled a fifth surgery for June 3. This time, Warren would most likely use a cadaver tendon to rebuild Bentley's ravaged patella.

But after an examination in May, Warren decided against the surgery.

"He told me my knee was sufficiently healed enough to live a normal life," said Bentley, who was the top-rated free agent when the Browns signed him in March of 2006. "He said, Go retire, go fishing, go live your life.' "

Football was not part of the discussion. But Warren got the wheels turning in Bentley's mind.

"If he's telling me I don't need surgery," Bentley said, "I started thinking, Maybe I can play again.' "

Bentley took his rehab to another level and began working out in Columbus, including some at Ohio State. "I started to feel like a football player again," he said.

When he told Warren about his progress in mid-June, the doctor deemed it remarkable. "He told me to call him in a couple of weeks and that if everything looked good, he'd pass me on my physical," Bentley said.

Bentley, who's rehabbing again in Phoenix, called Browns coach Romeo Crennel about a week ago and told him he'd be coming to camp and that he'd try to play this season.

"He said great and that he'd see me then," Bentley said.

Bentley said he'll most likely start camp by working out individually and then ease his way into position drills. "I don't anticipate any contact until at least three weeks into it," he said.

He said he'll take it one day at a time, but that his goal is to play in the opener Sept. 9 against Pittsburgh.

"I want to fulfill my promise to Browns fans to come back and help this team win," he said. "I don't want to let anybody down."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

Well this could be huge for the Browns. If he plays and Thomas is signed and in camp then bump the Browns up a notch for sure, especially the run game. What will be interesting to see is if this changes the Browns plans to sign Quinn and get him going this year.

Good read by Lane Adkins over at the OBR Scout boards.

Go to the link for the full article but some good tidbits.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=2&c=655736

... Five not-so-offensive quick hitters..........

1. Following free agency and the draft, the Browns’ ability to acquire guard Eric Steinbach in free agency has been viewed as the most important move made by the team. While the addition of Steinbach and Joe Thomas certainly provides athleticism and talent to this once deficient aspect of the team, something tells me running back Jamal Lewis is going to be an outstanding acquisition and provide the boost long-needed in the backfield. If the off-season work put in by Jerome Harrison proves to be effective, he could see enough playing time to display his excellent quickness and vision. The difference between the 2006 and 2007 version of Harrison is about 15 pounds of weight and muscle and a year of experience and confidence.

2. Wide receiver Braylon Edwards has been displaying early signs of maturity in camp and has been nothing but a positive influence. Edwards has been quick to put in extra time with the quarterbacks and talk with his position coach. Coming off a 2006 season which was marred with controversy and locker room dissent, Edwards is heeding the advice of many within the organization and league. Edwards has been told to become a leader and give maximum effort - not only on the field, but also in the locker room, where success and respect begins.

3. While Chudzinski is pushing the right buttons thus far with the mental aspect of the offensive unit, we would be amiss for not noting the contributions of receivers coach Wes Chandler. The Browns’ receivers were a group of undisciplined players (Joe Jurevicius was an exception) that deviated from the plan (or perhaps lack of one) frequently last season. Discipline and effort has been Chandler's theme throughout practice sessions which should lead to improved chemistry between the receivers and quarterbacks. Early indications are Edwards and second-year receiver Travis Wilson have benefited the most with the addition of Chudzinski and Chandler, as both players were not in the best graces of the former position coach Terry Robiskie and head coach Romeo Crennel.

4. During the off-season, the Browns signed a little known tight end Ryan Krause, a former San Diego Charger to fill a role at the position, as Kellen Winslow recuperates from off-season knee surgery. Coming to Cleveland with knowledge of the new offense, Krause has impressed the coaching staff with his work ethic. As Winslow will practice on a limited basis, Krause will gain additional time on the field, especially early in camp. He could be a valuable acquisition as the learning process of the offense forges ahead. During the off-season training activities and mini-camp, Krause was a standout participant during team drills.

5. With the selection of left tackle Joe Thomas in the draft, the Browns potentially could have quality and depth along the offensive line - a luxury for this organization. Kevin Shaffer, the starter at left tackle last season could be moved to the right tackle spot, paving the way for Thomas. Such a move should make the competition at right guard interesting to say the least, as Ryan Tucker, the starter at right tackle prior to his issue is back and healthy after battling through a medical condition last season will see practice time at right guard. Along with Tucker, off-season acquisition Seth McKinney and Isaac Sowells will compete for the starting right guard spot. Surprised? Most will be, but Sowells is a player that the coaching staff and Phil Savage increasingly believe is going to be a solid fit on the line. If Shaffer is traded (which remains a legitimate possibility), Sowells could see practice time between guard and tackle. Depth is a beautiful thing.

Only from what we’ve been told……….

• Rookie quarterback Brady Quinn has taken some hits from media due to his less-than-impressive performance during the off-season activities and mini-camp. An associate of the Notre Dame Football program informed the Orange and Brown Report that the quarterback is the type of individual that will digest everything and suddenly break onto the scene. While at Notre Dame, Quinn struggled in early practices as a freshman player, and the story was the same when Charlie Weis took over the program and installed a new offense. From what we’ve been told, the theme here is Quinn may not be the best practice player, but he beginning to display his ability to understand the offensive scheme, and once comfortable he should begin to establish himself.
Lots more at the link.

LeChuck to suit up this year

Bentley will try to come back this year

Told last fall his career was over, Browns center hopes to defy odds by returning to field

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Mary Kay Cabot

Plain Dealer Reporter

Despite being told he'd never play football again, Browns center and hometown favorite LeCharles Bentley said this week he'll try to make a comeback this season.

"I've been fortunate enough to have worked myself into a position to even think about playing football again," Bentley said in an exclusive interview with The Plain Dealer. "In spite of some major hurdles, I've been truly blessed all along the way to the point where I might possibly play this year."

Bentley, who will be in Berea for the first day of training camp July 27, revealed that he has undergone four surgeries over the past 11 months instead of the two that have been previously reported.

The first was to repair the torn left patella tendon suffered on the first day of contact drills last July. The next two were to clean out a life- and limb-threatening staph infection that penetrated the joint following the initial surgery. Those were each followed by a 30-day stay at the Cleveland Clinic. And the fourth operation, performed by Giants team physician Dr. Russell Warren in New York in November, was to clean out more staph and remove a portion of the tendon that was eaten away by the infection.

It was after that fourth surgery that Warren, one of the nation's most prominent orthopedic surgeons, told Bentley -- a two-time Pro Bowler with a lifelong dream to play for his hometown Browns -- that he'd never play football again.

"He told me to retire and he basically bet his license that I'd never play football again," said Bentley, who grew up in Cleveland and played at St. Ignatius and Ohio State.

Undaunted, Bentley, 27, rehabbed in Cleveland and then flew to Phoenix in January to focus entirely on his recovery.

"At that point, it was more just about living a normal life than playing football again," Bentley said. "I was trying to learn how to walk up the stairs again."

Bentley flew back and forth to New York to see Warren, who scheduled a fifth surgery for June 3. This time, Warren would most likely use a cadaver tendon to rebuild Bentley's ravaged patella.

But after an examination in May, Warren decided against the surgery.

"He told me my knee was sufficiently healed enough to live a normal life," said Bentley, who was the top-rated free agent when the Browns signed him in March of 2006. "He said, Go retire, go fishing, go live your life.' "

Football was not part of the discussion. But Warren got the wheels turning in Bentley's mind.

"If he's telling me I don't need surgery," Bentley said, "I started thinking, Maybe I can play again.' "

Bentley took his rehab to another level and began working out in Columbus, including some at Ohio State. "I started to feel like a football player again," he said.

When he told Warren about his progress in mid-June, the doctor deemed it remarkable. "He told me to call him in a couple of weeks and that if everything looked good, he'd pass me on my physical," Bentley said.

Bentley, who's rehabbing again in Phoenix, called Browns coach Romeo Crennel about a week ago and told him he'd be coming to camp and that he'd try to play this season.

"He said great and that he'd see me then," Bentley said.

Bentley said he'll most likely start camp by working out individually and then ease his way into position drills. "I don't anticipate any contact until at least three weeks into it," he said.

He said he'll take it one day at a time, but that his goal is to play in the opener Sept. 9 against Pittsburgh.

"I want to fulfill my promise to Browns fans to come back and help this team win," he said. "I don't want to let anybody down."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670
That's the first time I heard about a 5th surgery, every other paper reported that he was foregoing his 3rd surgery.
Well this could be huge for the Browns. If he plays and Thomas is signed and in camp then bump the Browns up a notch for sure, especially the run game. What will be interesting to see is if this changes the Browns plans to sign Quinn and get him going this year.
I still don't think he plays much this year. They'll put him on the PUP and make a decision in week 10. If Fraley and Freidman aren't hurt, they'll wait till next year.
Good read by Lane Adkins over at the OBR Scout boards.

Go to the link for the full article but some good tidbits.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=2&c=655736

... Five not-so-offensive quick hitters..........

1. Following free agency and the draft, the Browns’ ability to acquire guard Eric Steinbach in free agency has been viewed as the most important move made by the team. While the addition of Steinbach and Joe Thomas certainly provides athleticism and talent to this once deficient aspect of the team, something tells me running back Jamal Lewis is going to be an outstanding acquisition and provide the boost long-needed in the backfield. If the off-season work put in by Jerome Harrison proves to be effective, he could see enough playing time to display his excellent quickness and vision. The difference between the 2006 and 2007 version of Harrison is about 15 pounds of weight and muscle and a year of experience and confidence.

2. Wide receiver Braylon Edwards has been displaying early signs of maturity in camp and has been nothing but a positive influence. Edwards has been quick to put in extra time with the quarterbacks and talk with his position coach. Coming off a 2006 season which was marred with controversy and locker room dissent, Edwards is heeding the advice of many within the organization and league. Edwards has been told to become a leader and give maximum effort - not only on the field, but also in the locker room, where success and respect begins.

3. While Chudzinski is pushing the right buttons thus far with the mental aspect of the offensive unit, we would be amiss for not noting the contributions of receivers coach Wes Chandler. The Browns’ receivers were a group of undisciplined players (Joe Jurevicius was an exception) that deviated from the plan (or perhaps lack of one) frequently last season. Discipline and effort has been Chandler's theme throughout practice sessions which should lead to improved chemistry between the receivers and quarterbacks. Early indications are Edwards and second-year receiver Travis Wilson have benefited the most with the addition of Chudzinski and Chandler, as both players were not in the best graces of the former position coach Terry Robiskie and head coach Romeo Crennel.

4. During the off-season, the Browns signed a little known tight end Ryan Krause, a former San Diego Charger to fill a role at the position, as Kellen Winslow recuperates from off-season knee surgery. Coming to Cleveland with knowledge of the new offense, Krause has impressed the coaching staff with his work ethic. As Winslow will practice on a limited basis, Krause will gain additional time on the field, especially early in camp. He could be a valuable acquisition as the learning process of the offense forges ahead. During the off-season training activities and mini-camp, Krause was a standout participant during team drills.

5. With the selection of left tackle Joe Thomas in the draft, the Browns potentially could have quality and depth along the offensive line - a luxury for this organization. Kevin Shaffer, the starter at left tackle last season could be moved to the right tackle spot, paving the way for Thomas. Such a move should make the competition at right guard interesting to say the least, as Ryan Tucker, the starter at right tackle prior to his issue is back and healthy after battling through a medical condition last season will see practice time at right guard. Along with Tucker, off-season acquisition Seth McKinney and Isaac Sowells will compete for the starting right guard spot. Surprised? Most will be, but Sowells is a player that the coaching staff and Phil Savage increasingly believe is going to be a solid fit on the line. If Shaffer is traded (which remains a legitimate possibility), Sowells could see practice time between guard and tackle. Depth is a beautiful thing.

Only from what we’ve been told……….

• Rookie quarterback Brady Quinn has taken some hits from media due to his less-than-impressive performance during the off-season activities and mini-camp. An associate of the Notre Dame Football program informed the Orange and Brown Report that the quarterback is the type of individual that will digest everything and suddenly break onto the scene. While at Notre Dame, Quinn struggled in early practices as a freshman player, and the story was the same when Charlie Weis took over the program and installed a new offense. From what we’ve been told, the theme here is Quinn may not be the best practice player, but he beginning to display his ability to understand the offensive scheme, and once comfortable he should begin to establish himself.
Lots more at the link.
Great article Bracie! I've been thinking a lot of the same things, it's nice to see them reinforced.

interesting that the same doctor who told him his career is over, said he would sign off on him if he continued to improve.

eta- reason being if it were a 2nd opinion, then we would just have conflicting opinions, and imo an unclear picture of what is going on.

the fact that it was the same guy, and he was willing to change the prognosis, means a lot more to me than if he simply found some other doc to give him the go-ahead.

in other words, i think this is very good news.

i would still rather see him take it slowly and be cautious with it, but on the other hand, i certainly understand his desire to return asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
additionally, i think this validates the rumors that were flying around about the staph infection (i don't think it was ever official till now, but i could be wrong about that.)

i also think the clinic needs to get their #### together and figure out what's going on. (as opposed to that once over they did and declared everything ok last year.)

Gosselin giv'n the Brownies sum luv.

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/spo...0.a82695a7.html

Future not so bleak for Browns

12:58 PM CDT on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

... it's easy to predict doom and gloom for the Browns again in 2007. But let's look below the surface.

I've long believed that there are six cornerstone positions for a successful NFL franchise: quarterback, running back, wide receiver, left tackle, pass rusher and cover corner.

Five of them might now be in place in Cleveland.

The Browns used first-round picks in the 2007 NFL draft on the quarterback (Brady Quinn) and the left tackle (Joe Thomas). They used a first-round pick in 2006 on the pass rusher (Kamerion Wimbley) and a first-round pick in 2005 on the wide receiver (Braylon Edwards). That's four of the cornerstones.

The Browns believe Eric Wright, their second-rounder in 2007, can be that cover corner. He started at Southern Cal on a national championship team before running into legal problems and transferring to Nevada-Las Vegas for his final college season.

If Wright was clean of character, he likely would have been a top 15 pick in the 2007 draft. There's no questioning his talent. But there are questions about his character, which is why the Browns were able to find him in the second round. So Wright could be a fifth cornerstone in place.

All the Browns are lacking is the running back – and former NFL rushing champion Jamal Lewis was signed as a one-year patch to get Cleveland through the 2007 season.

If the team's talent evaluators are correct on Quinn, Edwards, Thomas, Wimbley and Wright, the Browns might be a lot closer to contention than anyone realizes.

Is a transformation from pretender to contender going to happen overnight for the Browns? Not likely. Remember, the Cowboys finished 7-9 in 1990 with Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin in their first season together. Two years later they were Super Bowl champions.

Young players tend to develop fast and give a franchise hope. For the first time in a long time, the Browns and the city of Cleveland have hope.

Darren McFadden

I've gotten several e-mails in recent months projecting the Browns to finish with a top-five pick in the 2008 draft. Dallas owns Cleveland's first-round pick as the result of that 2007 draft-day deal for Quinn – and Cowboys fans are hoping that pick is high enough to put a star on the helmet of Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. But let's ease up on the gas pedal for a second here …

I was receiving the same sort of e-mails after the 2004 draft when the Cowboys traded their first-round pick to Buffalo so the Bills could take quarterback J.P. Losman. Cowboys fans were projecting the Bills to play their rookie quarterback that season and surrender a top 10 pick to Dallas in 2005.

It didn't quite work out that way. The Bills wound up having a better season than the Cowboys. Buffalo finished 9-7 and Dallas 6-10. The Cowboys did wind up with a top 10 pick – their own – and the Bills turned over the 20th overall selection.

Let's see how this one plays out.
Go to the link for much more, not just Browns items on tap.

So let's look at the big news.

all top 3 draft choices (LT Joe Thomas, QB Brady Quinn, and CB Eric Wright) are holdouts. Ok, but what does that mean? Its hard to say. We live in an age where these athletes train all year long. They complain that training camp is too long as it is. But I'll add more later.
C LeCharles Bentley has been cleared by his doctors to play. Great news!Where are the Browns now? Well, I think its fairly certain that Romeo Crennel is on the hot seat. While no-one is asking him to win a super bowl with this group, if he truly is THE coach we need, one would think he could get his club to overachieve once in 3 years. I don't care who you are, you don't get a mulligan for 36 months. The defense struggled a year ago, and they really didn't do a lot of infuse a lot of talent in that unit. The offense has been revamped.

A new offensive coordinator in Rob Chudzinsky, who comes to us from a job as TE coach of the Chargers, thru Butch Davis as TE coach in Cleveland in 2004.
A new OL, with LT Joe Thomas, LG Eric Steinbach, and C LeCharles Bentley.
A new QB-of-the-future in Brady Quinn.Will all of that pan out? For Romeo to keep his job, all these changes on offense will probably have to. The mantra for 2007 seems to be "Outscore your opponents, or update the resume". We'll see if it works.

all top 3 draft choices (LT Joe Thomas, QB Brady Quinn, and CB Eric Wright) are holdouts. Ok, but what does that mean? Its hard to say. We live in an age where these athletes train all year long. They complain that training camp is too long as it is. But I'll add more later.
C LeCharles Bentley has been cleared by his doctors to play. Great news!Where are the Browns now? Well, I think its fairly certain that Romeo Crennel is on the hot seat. While no-one is asking him to win a super bowl with this group, if he truly is THE coach we need, one would think he could get his club to overachieve once in 3 years. I don't care who you are, you don't get a mulligan for 36 months. The defense struggled a year ago, and they really didn't do a lot of infuse a lot of talent in that unit. The offense has been revamped.

A new offensive coordinator in Rob Chudzinsky, who comes to us from a job as TE coach of the Chargers, thru Butch Davis as TE coach in Cleveland in 2004.
A new QB-of-the-future in Brady Quinn.Will all of that pan out? For Romeo to keep his job, all these changes on offense will probably have to. The mantra for 2007 seems to be "Outscore your opponents, or update the resume". We'll see if it works.
I think you're underestimating the defense. The secondary was absolutely decimated with injuries, and the defense was on the field wayyyy too much. The Browns were 23rd in the league in time of possession, and only Oakland had a worse turnover ratio.

I think its great that we selected Joe Thomas, but that's just a good start. Our future should not hinge on how he performs. The Patriots and Steelers have been the 2 premier teams in conference this decade. What area of the team have the Patriots addressed the most with their first 4 picks? The OL. The Patriots have selected TWELVE players on the OL (7 offensive linemen and 5 TEs). How about the Steelers? The OL. The Steelers have selected NINE players on the OL (7 offensive linemen and 2 TEs).

They select more players than you need at the position. They go to the point of excess. That gives them a pipeline of talent. They've got nice depth, where if some guys go down, another kid taken with a high choice can step in. That's where the Browns need to be. BTW, what area of the team have the Browns addressed the most with their top 4 choices? WR. Up until the last draft it was WR:

2002.2: Dennis Northcutt

2000.3: JaJuan Dawson

2001.2: Quincy Morgan

2002.2: Andra Davis

2005.1: Braylon Edwards

2006.3: Travis Wilson

Altho by taking CB Eric Wright and DB Brandon McDonald, DB has now tied this at 6. But look at all those WRs selected high. The first thing that pops into your head is the Detroit Lions drafts. And the Lions didn't get very far selected WRs high all the time, either. Those picks are chances wasted. Chances to find good OL (and DL) to help protect the QB and open running lanes. Chances to find good run-stuffers or pass-rushers. This is why I balked when some "draft gurus" around the Shark Pool kept suggesting that the Browns needed to draft WR this year. I wanted to puke.

I just hope that the Browns don't view adding Joe Thomas and Eric Steinbach and the "end game". They should still select OL.

I think you're underestimating the defense. The secondary was absolutely decimated with injuries, and the defense was on the field wayyyy too much. The Browns were 23rd in the league in time of possession, and only Oakland had a worse turnover ratio.
Agree here. They do need to improve on stopping the run and could use some DL help. Having a year under their belts for both Wimbley and Jackson is nice too.ETA: I don't see Bentley playing C. Fraley will stay there and Bentley, if he plays, would play RG.

Just crunched some numbers:Browns TOP in 2005 and 2006

25:47 - 27 points

24:49 - 24 points

28:22 - 13 points

28:46 - 10 points

22:25 - 16 points

22:43 - 13 points

29:04 - 19 points

32:24 - 14 points

23:37 - 34 points

35:28 - 0 points

27:44 - 24 points

30:17 - 20 points

30:48 - 23 points

26:22 - 7 points

28:21 - 41 points

30:26 - 16 points

503 seconds / 60s = 8m + change

8m x 60s = 480s

503s - 480s = 23s

8m 23s

439m

447m 23s Total TOP

27:14 - 19 points

25:55 - 34 points

28:09 - 15 points

37:06 - 21 points

31:15 - 20 points

22:45 - 17 points

35:11 - 13 points

32:54 - 32 points

31:38 - 13 points

32:13 - 24 points

22:10 - 30 points

34:54 - 28 points (OT)

21:13 - 27 points

29:49 - 27 points

22:44 - 22 points

38:06 - 14 points

436s / 60s = 7m + change

7m x 60s = 420s

436s - 420s = 16s

7m 16s

466m + 7m 16s

473m 16s total TOP

-------------

Summary: The Browns time of possession (TOP) improved from 2005 to 2006. It went from 447m 23s to 473m 16s. and yet, the defense was significantly WORSE when the TOP was higher. Therefore, I dispute the notion that TOP was the problem.

I've poked around in different forums and consensus seems to be that Romeo Crennel needs to go 8-8 to keep his job.

With the 1st pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, The Dallas Cowboys (via Clevland) select: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

Thanks again Cleveland!!

BGP said:
I've poked around in different forums and consensus seems to be that Romeo Crennel needs to go 8-8 to keep his job.
7-9 might do it, if they get hot towards the end.if they could somehow get a wildcard at 9-7, they'd likely give him a huge extension.i don't know what to think about this team.. seems like they are stocking some good talent, but it doesn't seem to be coming together yet, and with them looking for huge contributions from three rookies that aren't even signed yet, i think the first half of the season could be rough. hate to say it, but this season, all we can look for is some improvement, and then it's going to be the 08 season where they better make some noise.

btw, i'm going to the Browns' practice tomorrow afternoon.

i'll report back, but i probably won't have much to say other than, 'damn, those dudes is BIG!'

BGP said:
7-9 might do it, if they get hot towards the end.if they could somehow get a wildcard at 9-7, they'd likely give him a huge extension.i don't know what to think about this team.. seems like they are stocking some good talent, but it doesn't seem to be coming together yet, and with them looking for huge contributions from three rookies that aren't even signed yet, i think the first half of the season could be rough. hate to say it, but this season, all we can look for is some improvement, and then it's going to be the 08 season where they better make some noise.
Yah I think it will just come down to the fact that, if Crennel is THE guy, then he should be able to take what he has and overachieve at least ONCE in his first 3 years. That doesn't mean win a super bowl but, win several more games than anyone thought. That would be a sign that this coach is clearly making a difference. This coach is special. I don't really think that is asking a whole lot.

BGP said:

8m x 60s = 480s

503s - 480s = 23s

8m 23s

439m

447m 23s Total TOP

436s / 60s = 7m + change

7m x 60s = 420s

436s - 420s = 16s

7m 16s

466m + 7m 16s

473m 16s total TOP

-------------

Summary: The Browns time of possession (TOP) improved from 2005 to 2006. It went from 447m 23s to 473m 16s. and yet, the defense was significantly WORSE when the TOP was higher. Therefore, I dispute the notion that TOP was the problem.
The problem with the defense was turnover differential.http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-...ar?sort_col_1=9

Turnovers Offense - Turnover Margin

Takeaways Giveaways Net

Team G Tot Int Fum Tot Int Fum Diff

Baltimore 16 40 28 12 23 14 9 17

St. Louis 16 32 17 15 18 8 10 14

San Diego 16 28 16 12 15 9 6 13

New England 16 35 22 13 27 12 15 8

Chicago 16 44 24 20 36 22 14 8

Indianapolis 16 26 15 11 19 9 10 7

Cincinnati 16 31 19 12 24 13 11 7

Atlanta 16 26 12 14 20 15 5 6

Philadelphia 16 29 19 10 24 9 15 5

Kansas City 16 30 15 15 26 12 14 4

Minnesota 16 36 21 15 32 20 12 4

Arizona 16 33 16 17 30 17 13 3

Miami 16 27 8 19 25 19 6 2

Tennessee 16 28 17 11 26 19 7 2

Jacksonville 16 24 20 4 23 14 9 1

Dallas 16 31 18 13 30 21 9 1

New York (A) 16 25 16 9 25 16 9 0

Denver 16 30 17 13 30 18 12 0

New York (N) 16 28 17 11 28 18 10 0

Green Bay 16 33 23 10 33 18 15 0

Houston 16 22 11 11 25 13 12 -3

New Orleans 16 19 11 8 23 13 10 -4

Buffalo 16 24 13 11 29 14 15 -5

Washington 16 12 6 6 17 10 7 -5

San Francisco 16 27 14 13 32 16 16 -5

Carolina 16 22 14 8 27 17 10 -5

Pittsburgh 16 29 20 9 37 23 14 -8

Seattle 16 26 12 14 34 22 12 -8

Detroit 16 30 12 18 39 22 17 -9

Tampa Bay 16 20 11 9 32 18 14 -12

Cleveland 16 27 18 9 42 25 17 -15

Oakland 16 23 18 5 46 24 22 -23

The primary culprit was Charlie Frye who has a fifteen game turnover streak of either throwing an interception or fumbling the ball away from his rookie season in 2005. That fifteen game turnover streak may be an ALL-TIME NFL record since I've never heard of a QB going ten games, let alone FIFTEEN continuous games with a turnover.

If Frye is replaced our turnover differential should go down which will even things up with our defense just based on the fact that last year the opposition had 15 more possessions just due to our offense turning the ball over. TOP doesn't reflect quick scores given up by a defense defending a short field due to turnover. TOP helps to manage a game but you can't manage a game if your offense constantly gives the ball away at an average of one more turnover per game than the opposition.

I think our draft board looks like:1. Joe Thomas2. Adrian Peterson3. Calvin JohnsonTo me, we are primed for a great year. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Bentley will play week 1 giving us some depth on the Oline for the first time ever. Here is why I say that:1. Bentley is scheduled to see if surgery will be necessary within the next month. He has been working hard and is in good shape right now. 2. The Browns have been extremely hush, hush on the situation, just like with Baxter. It was assumed with Baxter that his career was over, but now when he speaks, he says he will be back week 1. 3. Bentley said that the day the Browns signed him was the second best day of his life next to his son's birth, obviously, he wants to play with the team, and the will to play may give him an edge to come back this year.
Not to brag or anything, well, maybe just a little, but I look like a psychic. Bentley likely will be on the field week one, there is nothing being reported to say that he won't.Anyways, on to more serious things. This team will surprise the NFL this season and WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. The only way this happens is if our terrible luck continues, and it can't, can it?Points to ponder:1. Our secondary: Last year, this position was destroyed by injuries. Our top 3 CB's, Baxter, Bodden, and McCushion all missed most of the year. Bodden is healthy this year. Bodden, if he stays healthy will likely make the pro-bowl this year. He has good size, great speed, and a great eye for the ball. Eric Wright needs to be as big as he is expected to be, and with Holly and Baxter back, and a couple of youngsters, this unit is solid. Jones and Pool at Safety is a great youth movement that will improve. The depth is slightly week, but if it stays healthy, we are good to go.2. Our Linebackers: Wimbley proved to be a difference maker last year. If he can come back with the same intensity, this unit is going to start to be a unit to be reconed with. With Wimbley on the outside, Jackson and Davis inside, and McGinnist along with Chaun Thompson and that guy that really stepped up at the end of last year with the dreads, and others, this unit is now strong, and DEEP. We will be able to rotate guys in and out like mad.3. Our DLine: This is the area that really didn't improve much from last year. Roye comes back, but his best days are behind him along with Washington. Shaun Smith comes in to compete with Washington, and we bring Robare Smith in on the other side. This is probably the worst position on our team.4. Our OLine: This position, more than any others, improved. Last year, we lost Bentley and Tucker. Andruzzi sucked and whoever was being rotated into that LG spot was also terrible. This year, we have GREAT potential and are as deep as ever. At LT, we have the best LT in the draft in Joe Thomas, at LG, the best guard free agent signing in Steinbach, at C, possibly Bentley, although I'm sure he won't be the same. At RG, Fraley or Bentley or Seth McKinney. At RT, MOTHER TUCKER IS BACK, and will get some competition from Shaffer if Thomas gets into camp soon.5. Our RB's: Lewis isn't much of an upgrade over Droughns, but he is another year away from that prison term, and is finally healthy after foot problems last year.6. Our TE's/WR's: Winslow is about as healthy heading into this season as he was headed into last season. Edwards seems to be maturing, and Travis Wilson has to contribute. If healthy, Edwards and Winslow is all we need here, so I'm not worried even though we did little to help this position this year.

BGP said:

8m x 60s = 480s

503s - 480s = 23s

8m 23s

439m

447m 23s Total TOP

436s / 60s = 7m + change

7m x 60s = 420s

436s - 420s = 16s

7m 16s

466m + 7m 16s

473m 16s total TOP

-------------

TOP wasn't the only thing I pointed to. I mentioned the devastated secondary and turnover ratio.2005 Turnover ratio- (-7)

2006 Turnover ratio- (-15)

It was a combination of factors, but the bottom line is that I have faith that our defense will be able to keep us in most games if the offense does their job.

GREAT NEWS BROWNS FANS! Joe Thomas and Eric Wright have just signed, leaving Quinn as the only unsigned draft pick.

http://rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_new...amp;majteam=CLE

Eric Wright - DB Jul. 26 - 7:27 pm et

Browns agreed to terms with second-round CB Eric Wright on a multi-year deal.

Wright will man the right corner opposite LCB Leigh Bodden as soon as Week 1. His upside is considerable because of his physical tools, but Wright is raw from an experience standpoint and may struggle early as a rookie.

Joe Thomas - T Jul. 26 - 7:19 pm et

Browns agreed to terms with T Joe Thomas, the No. 3 pick overall, on a five-year, $43 million contract. The deal includes $23 million in bonuses.

With Eric Wright also agreeing to a deal, Brady Quinn is the lone Browns draft pick left unsigned. Thomas, a marvelous pass blocker, should be the team's starting left tackle right away. If he progresses quickly, the Browns may consider shopping incumbent LT Kevin Shaffer to the Colts, who recently lost Tarik Glenn to retirement, or re-opening trade talks with the Giants.

Tecumseh said:

8m x 60s = 480s

503s - 480s = 23s

8m 23s

439m

447m 23s Total TOP

436s / 60s = 7m + change

7m x 60s = 420s

436s - 420s = 16s

7m 16s

466m + 7m 16s

473m 16s total TOP

-------------

TOP wasn't the only thing I pointed to. I mentioned the devastated secondary and turnover ratio.2005 Turnover ratio- (-7)

2006 Turnover ratio- (-15)

It was a combination of factors, but the bottom line is that I have faith that our defense will be able to keep us in most games if the offense does their job.
I didn't say that was the only thing you pointed to. I did not dispute the notion that injuries were a part of that. I was only disputing your views on TOP.

Browns Rule! said:
GREAT NEWS BROWNS FANS! Joe Thomas and Eric Wright have just signed, leaving Quinn as the only unsigned draft pick.

Wright will man the right corner opposite LCB Leigh Bodden as soon as Week 1. His upside is considerable because of his physical tools, but Wright is raw from an experience standpoint and may struggle early as a rookie.

Browns agreed to terms with T Joe Thomas, the No. 3 pick overall, on a five-year, $43 million contract. The deal includes $23 million in bonuses.

With Eric Wright also agreeing to a deal, Brady Quinn is the lone Browns draft pick left unsigned. Thomas, a marvelous pass blocker, should be the team's starting left tackle right away. If he progresses quickly, the Browns may consider shopping incumbent LT Kevin Shaffer to the Colts, who recently lost Tarik Glenn to retirement, or re-opening trade talks with the Giants.
:rolleyes: :lmao:

Browns Rule! said:

:excited: :thumbup:
:bye: :pickle:

Browns Rule! said:

:excited: :shock:
;) :pickle:
This is HUGE! The two we needed in are IN BABY!Wright may very well be a gem from this draft.

July 28, 2007By Clark JudgeCBS SportsLine.com Senior WriterBrowns: Five things to know | JudgeBEREA, Ohio -- Attention, Cleveland Browns fans: It's not Brady Quinn you need; it's patience.The Browns feel Jamal Lewis is 'very hungry to prove himself one more time.' (US Presswire) Quinn is not in camp, but he will be. And maybe soon. But forget about Quinn. He won't make a difference this season. The Browns' offensive line could, and that's where this team is beginning to shape up.There's rookie Joe Thomas. There is free-agent guard Eric Steinbach. Free-agent center Seth McKinney is here, too. And I'd throw in last year's free-agent prize, center LeCharles Bentley, if I thought he'd return from a patella injury.But I don't.Yeah, I know what Bentley's physicians say, but I also know the Browns haven't passed him on a physical -- preferring to wait a month before making a decision. That tells me something's amiss, and if I were to make an educated guess I'd say Bentley not only doesn't make it to the season opener; I'd say he doesn't play this season."Like I told him," said coach Romeo Crennel. "I want to see it. I haven't seen it."Well, that's appropriate because people haven't seen much of anything from the Cleveland Browns lately. They have 19 victories in four seasons and a year ago were 31st in offense, 31st in rushing, 27th in defense. Oh, yeah, they were also last in their division.Again.Some of that should change, though the AFC North basement sure looks like home again. Which is why Browns' fans can sit back and relax.When senior vice president and general manager Phil Savage compared this club to a tear-down project in his neighborhood, the message was clear: The club is rebuilding from the ground on up. That takes time, and so, in all likelihood, will success."People are trying to pin us down," said Savage, "and say, 'What's the measure of success? Is there a magic number?' I don't think (the important thing) is the number as much as it is how we get to our final record is."I do think our team will be better. There will be some people who will say they may be better and win a game or two more, and that may be true. But we're going to find out."I don't know many people outside the 440 area code who believe Cleveland can win more than five or six games, and, frankly, I don't care. These guys have their priorities straight, and their priority is building a foundation for the future.For years they looked in vain for the next great running back before getting smart and turning their attention to an offensive line that was among the league's worst. That's why they drafted Thomas and passed on star running back Adrian Peterson.That's why they went after Steinbach and McKinney, too. If you're serious about straightening out a running game that hasn't ranked higher than 20th since returning to the NFL in 1999, then maybe you should concentrate on something other than the next running back.The Browns did."This is where we turn it around," said Steinbach. "I think if we establish ourselves, it takes pressure off the quarterback and pressure off the defense. I always said the offensive line is the nucleus of the team because if you can establish a dominant offensive line you're going to win games."He's right, of course. You look at Indianapolis and what it's done the past few years. Kansas City had a nice run with Will Shields and Willie Roaf in the offensive line. And let's not forget Pittsburgh. Or Philadelphia."I like what's been done with the offensive line," said offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski. "I just always believed it starts up front. That group of five guys are the (ones) the rest of the team feed off in terms of tempo."Chudzinski should know. He coached in San Diego last season where the Chargers' offensive line opened holes for league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson. So he appreciates the value of a tight offensive line and what it can do for a rushing attack.Fantasy FocusTE Kellen Winslow(Kellen Winslow) Jamey Eisenberg's take: Winslow was a stellar Fantasy TE last year with 89 catches for 875 yards and three touchdowns. But he's coming off microfracture knee surgery and is questionable to start the season. If he's healthy, Winslow should do well this year with the improvements the Browns made on offense. If a reliable QB emerges from Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn, Winslow should shine this season. He should still be drafted as a No. 1 Fantasy TE, but make sure you take a solid backup in case Winslow has any problems during training camp.More Fantasy football newsIn San Diego, he had LT. Here he has Jamal Lewis, and this is where the Browns may be taking a gamble. Lewis has a history of big games against the Browns, rushing for a league-record 295 yards against them in 2003, but his effectiveness decreased the past three seasons -- so much so that Baltimore didn't re-sign him.The Ravens thought he lost a step, and the numbers seem to support them. In 2003, he averaged 5.3 yards a carry. Since then, he averaged 3.7. But the Browns believe a change of scenery will produce a change in Lewis, and they're so confident in the guy they're willing to fly without a safety net.I'm not kidding. Look at the depth chart, and tell me who's the second option at running back? Jason Wright? Jerome Harrison? Chris Barclay? Nope, it's Jamal or bust."I think Jamal is very hungry to prove himself one more time," said Savage. "He's been with a winner, and he's not intimidated. He's tough. And we just felt if we upgraded the offensive line, which we're on our way to doing, and added him it gives us a little bit of a hammer."That's something the Browns haven't had in over two decades. Maybe Lewis works out; maybe he doesn't. All I know is that Cleveland's reconstruction project is underway, and it's off to a good start.I also know it's a long way from its conclusion. Patience, people.

Users who are viewing this thread