What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Free Agency news thread (1 Viewer)

If you chopped one of Bradshaw's feet off, he is better than DuJuan Harris.
Thanks for that quality addition to the topic.
Harris is a classic case of fesh legs looking decent in short spurts in the later part of the season. He isn't really all that good.
Could be...though, Ill trust the Packers brass over your credentials on this.
James Starks looked promising too late in the season due to fresh legs. Jerome Harrison, Evan Royster, many RBs are overrated due to a couple of good games late in the season.
And Starks has not been healthy yet.My point earlier in the thread...that not one person every answered was to disagree with someone claiming there were 15 FA running backs better than Harris.Now all of a sudden that is being taken as me somehow thinking Harris is some great back that is going to get a ton of work.People might want to try reading what was actually said for once.
Why are you defensive? I commented on fresh legs only. Not about 15 FA RB's, or you said Harris was a great back. Perhaps your reading comprehension is down
For those asking why people don't want discussion in the news thread, here's your answer.

If you chopped one of Bradshaw's feet off, he is better than DuJuan Harris.
Thanks for that quality addition to the topic.
Harris is a classic case of fesh legs looking decent in short spurts in the later part of the season. He isn't really all that good.
Could be...though, Ill trust the Packers brass over your credentials on this.
James Starks looked promising too late in the season due to fresh legs. Jerome Harrison, Evan Royster, many RBs are overrated due to a couple of good games late in the season.
And Starks has not been healthy yet.My point earlier in the thread...that not one person every answered was to disagree with someone claiming there were 15 FA running backs better than Harris.Now all of a sudden that is being taken as me somehow thinking Harris is some great back that is going to get a ton of work.People might want to try reading what was actually said for once.
Why are you defensive? I commented on fresh legs only. Not about 15 FA RB's, or you said Harris was a great back. Perhaps your reading comprehension is down
You commented on an ongoing conversation...with the context of it and all...Though, will apologize for the other comments that could have been better pointed at the others.

'Concept Coop said:
Cruz put up 1500/9 in 14 games 2 years ago. 1,100/10 this year. If he's not a #1, then the term is pointless.
in fantasy i'll agree he can be considered a #1 WR. but i don't think the NFL sees him that way. he definitely put's up the numbers, but why would the giants let him get to free agency, even if it's a first round RFA tender? you just don't do that to franchise players or #1 WR's in my eyes.
If there are less than 32 #1's, then what is the point of the word? If you want to say he's not top 10, I understand that. Top 15 and I'll listen. But he's better than the average top option on NFL teams. The Giants are in a unique spot in that they have a lot of talent they are, or will need to pay very soon, including another top WR. They're just being financially smart about it.

As for the comments that he's a slot guy, that's partly true. He plays in both 2 and 3 WR sets, and moves around between two spots. That's the NFL today. It's about mismatches and schemes; it would be silly not to put this guy in the slot in 3 WR sets. I don't think that makes him less valuable, as he can hold his own at flanker too.
If you are talking about the #1 wide receiver on a team then yes. If you are talking about a guy who could be the #1 wide receiver on almost any team he went to then no.It's the same with pitchers in the MLB ... Certain pitchers are considered #1's no matter what team they are on ... If you have two #'1 pitchers they are usually referred to as 1a & 1b

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) tweeted at 5:02 PM on Sat, Mar 16, 2013:

49ers announced they have signed (former Ram) S Craig Dahl to a three-year deal.

ETA: [url=" %5Burl="http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/03/49ers-sign-safety-craig-dahl-to-a-three-year-deal.html%5DLink%5B/URL%5D"%5Dhttp://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/03/49ers-sign-safety-craig-dahl-to-a-three-year-deal.html%5DLink%5B/URL%5D%5B/url%5D
:yucky:
3 years/$5mil. No way is that starter money. They will draft a safety early IMO.
Agreed. I'm waiting for the Nmadi signing. Its a great fit :thumbup:
I'm hearing that the Saints and Nmadi "hit it off" over the weekend.

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) tweeted at 9:01 PM on Mon, Mar 18, 2013:

Well that didn't take long. Colts plan to sign former Titans QB Matthew Hasselbeck, who was released today, on Tuesday.

'Chachi said:
Kellen Winslow to Oakland.
Will he be #1 on the depth chart? If Palmer is still around, that could be noteworthy at the very least.
Assuming he's healthy, yes. I thought Ausberry held potential but he's still a blocking liability.
The San Francisco Chronicle says the Raiders don't view TEs David Ausberry and Richard Gordon as starting-caliber players.Oakland is set to lose Brandon Myers in free agency, and they're going to need a replacement. Ausberry and Gordon aren't those guys. The Chronicle says free agents Anthony Fasano and Kevin Boss "might want to keep their cell line open." Mar 11 - 8:47 PM

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Phil Dawson tweeted he's joining the 49ers. So San Franciso now adds top kicker on the market.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefterPhil Dawson tweeted he's joining the 49ers. So San Franciso now adds top kicker on the market.
Faux John Madden ‏@FauxJohnMadden 2m49ers answer Seahawks free agent moves by acquiring the Browns entire offense, kicker Phil Dawson. :lmao:

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 7m

Ed Reed tells me via text that he's going to the Texans -- "Nothing official, but unless something changes, yes." So there you have it.

Edit:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 5m

Ed Reed's deal with the Texans is for 2 years. While he struggled w/leaving BAL, his only team, the Texans courted him heavily all along

Last edited by a moderator:
Bears announced Urlacher won't be back.

Also:

vaughn mcclure ‏@vxmcclure23 12m

Just got off the phone with Brian Urlacher.Said Bears gave him a take it or leave it offer of one-year, $2 million.

Retweeted by Adam Caplan
Slap in the face if true.
Unfortunately it's the nature of the business. Its a no win situation when teams deal with their old superstars.
yeah I know. its a business

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 7mEd Reed tells me via text that he's going to the Texans -- "Nothing official, but unless something changes, yes." So there you have it.Edit:Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 5mEd Reed's deal with the Texans is for 2 years. While he struggled w/leaving BAL, his only team, the Texans courted him heavily all along
What do the IDP types here think about Reed in Houston? Does he make a good defense better or is he completely past his sell-by date at this point?

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 7mEd Reed tells me via text that he's going to the Texans -- "Nothing official, but unless something changes, yes." So there you have it.Edit:Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 5mEd Reed's deal with the Texans is for 2 years. While he struggled w/leaving BAL, his only team, the Texans courted him heavily all along
What do the IDP types here think about Reed in Houston? Does he make a good defense better or is he completely past his sell-by date at this point?
Houston had two safeties who could stay deep, come up to the line, or cover (Quin is a former corner). Now they have one, and Reed who is a stay deep safety, whose tackling isn't what it once was. They won't be able to disguise coverage and scheme as well anymore. The biggest gain would be Reed's ball hawking skills and his veteran leadership, which I wouldn't undersell given that the Texans lost their defensive leaders last year and Cushing was out most of the year. Watt is an obvious one to look to as a leader, but he's still young. Overall I expect the change from Quin to Reed to be a little bit of a downgrade. Reed isn't the same guy at 35 that we all remember. But they might have a few more interceptions than they would have with Quin. The re-signing of nickel corner Brice McCain is a pretty big deal in my mind. After J-Jo and K. Jackson Houston didn't have anything worthwhile at corner... while McCain is amongst the best slot corners in the league.I won't be surprised if Houston takes a safety in the first 3 rounds (they have an extra 3rd as a compensatory pick for Mario) and gradually work him in with Reed. Texans also use a number of 3 safety formations.

49ers announced they have signed (former Ram) S Craig Dahl to a three-year deal.

ETA: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/03/49ers-sign-safety-craig-dahl-to-a-three-year-deal.html'>Link
3 years/$5mil. No way is that starter money. They will draft a safety early IMO.
Nnamdi is done. Nothing more than a name now.

Also:

Just got off the phone with Brian Urlacher.Said Bears gave him a take it or leave it offer of one-year, $2 million.

Retweeted by Adam Caplan
Rumors going wild the Vikings want urlacher, but does he have anything left in the tank
Only thing he will help with is jersey sales. 2 mil is too much. Finley was right about Urlacher.

Also:

Retweeted by Adam Caplan
Rumors going wild the Vikings want urlacher, but does he have anything left in the tank
Only thing he will help with is jersey sales. 2 mil is too much.
Probably still better than Hawk.

Bernard Pollard to Tennessee.

“I’ve agreed to sign a one-year deal with the Titans,” Pollard told Josina Anderson of ESPN.

Bernard Pollard to Tennessee. “I’ve agreed to sign a one-year deal with the Titans,” Pollard told Josina Anderson of ESPN.
Nice deal for them...needed safety help.Can now draft one mid rounds or earlier to try and groom.Was hoping GB would take a shot on him if cheap.

ETA: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/03/49ers-sign-safety-craig-dahl-to-a-three-year-deal.html'>Link
I don't think he's done. He may be over-paid but he wasn't used correctly (man coverage) in Philly.

'cstu said:
'Snotbubbles said:

I don't think he's done. He may be over-paid but he wasn't used correctly (man coverage) in Philly.
How is that? He lined up in man in oakland all the time.

'Greg Russell said:
'wdcrob said:
'Greg Russell said:
Houston had two safeties who could stay deep, come up to the line, or cover (Quin is a former corner). Now they have one, and Reed who is a stay deep safety, whose tackling isn't what it once was. They won't be able to disguise coverage and scheme as well anymore. The biggest gain would be Reed's ball hawking skills and his veteran leadership, which I wouldn't undersell given that the Texans lost their defensive leaders last year and Cushing was out most of the year. Watt is an obvious one to look to as a leader, but he's still young. Overall I expect the change from Quin to Reed to be a little bit of a downgrade. Reed isn't the same guy at 35 that we all remember. But they might have a few more interceptions than they would have with Quin. The re-signing of nickel corner Brice McCain is a pretty big deal in my mind. After J-Jo and K. Jackson Houston didn't have anything worthwhile at corner... while McCain is amongst the best slot corners in the league.I won't be surprised if Houston takes a safety in the first 3 rounds (they have an extra 3rd as a compensatory pick for Mario) and gradually work him in with Reed. Texans also use a number of 3 safety formations.
Here's an article that goes into more detail that I think is pretty much on the same page as I am about the impact. It requires ESPN Insider though I believe.http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9077518/2013-nfl-free-agency-how-ed-reed-improves-houston-texansI won't cut and paste the whole article since it's premium content, but here's the summary he had:
In assessing the Reed addition, it's natural to keep coming back to Quin and whether or not the Texans improved as a football team. While the versatility lost from Quin's departure will be missed, Reed's value is undeniable as a leader and center fielder for the secondary, even though he's not the same player who was once among the most dominant in all of football.The Texans won 12 games a season ago, but entered the offseason with a punch list of areas to improve, including the secondary. Holes on the roster remain (they need to add an inside linebacker and a wide receiver to complement Andre Johnson), but Reed is an addition that will make the secondary and entire defense better right away, and Houston remains on the inside track to be one of the top four teams in the AFC in 2013.

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) tweeted at 5:04 PM on Thu, Mar 21, 2013:

Former 49ers WR Ted Ginn is signing a one-year deal with the Carolina Panthers.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Phil Dawson tweeted he's joining the 49ers. So San Franciso now adds top kicker on the market.
Dawson was an excellent kicker and finding kickers can be tricky.Speaking of tricky, check out who the Browns are looking at to replace Dawson.

A trick-shot kicker from Europe.

=======================

Håvard Rugland‏@MrRugland5h

On my way back to San Diego after a nice trip to Cleveland!! http://instagr.am/p/XIHhpFTd3q/

=======================

This is pretty impressive trick-shot kicking highlight reel if you haven't seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread