What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 WR Class = 2009 WR Class? (2 Viewers)

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares how many WRs (may) get drafted in the 1st round this year. The only one I like is DeAndre Hopkins.

I would easily put Nicks and Britt above anyone in this class. Patterson, Austin, and Allen are overrated.
It's funny how full circle this thing has come. In January people said this class sucks....only 1 maybe 2 WR's worth taking in the first round. Now people are seeing 4 predicted and they are saying it's now overrated. The whole point of this thread is that they were underrated....now they are rated correctly. http://forumimages.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gifYou are right though.....who cares how many first rounders? What matters is what they are doing 3 years from now. I think we will all be wishing we had a piece of this year's WR crop.

I agree, I love Hopkins too. I also love Allen and Austin.......Patterson, I'm not too high on.
The real point of all this is that this WR class was not even close to the 2009 class... That's the point , that's the comparison you were trying to make .. And again, with the first round over , it's still as ridiculous as I thought it was back in January lol

Annnnnddddd one more courtesy bump for good measure lol :)
how about a link to that fantastic blog too.
Oh boy you two really got me! Way to wreck my day.....the good ole boys from WI made me cry!! ;) I was wrong about 4 WRs, but still close with 3. There will be plenty that go round 2-3......how many do you think? 8-10 in day two? I still think this draft is great for WR prospects. No Green's or Calvin's, but a lot of potential WR1's and starters. My favorites are still Patterson, Allen, Austin, and Hopkins. I still think the only reason Allen dropped was because of his red flag knee.....which sucks because I do think he's WR1 material if ever healthy.

Keep coming down on that number. From everything I can tell, there are only 2 almost sure 1st rounders. Patterson and Allen. Maybe more get taken, but its a guess right now.
What information are you going off of? Just curious?I have a source that everyone else has as well. I was watching the Senior Bowl and the announcers were talking about the week and discussions they had with NFL scouts and team GM's during the entire week. This is basically what they said...."In normal years Terrance Williams of Baylor would be a 1st round pick, but this isn't a normal year. This draft class has FOUR underclassman WR's that are consensus 'slam dunk first round picks' coming directly from the mouths of scouts and GMs".Again what are your sources? I am not a scout or a film watcher, but when I hear statements like I just posted above that came directly from scouts and GM's I listen up. Hopkins, Patterson, and Allen are all first rounders......Woods will likely sneak into the first as well.
Having someone "likely sneak into" the first round is very different than a "slam dunk first rounder". Based on the dozens of different scouting websites, I also am not certain that Hopkins is a slam dunk first rounder, either.
"Slam Dunks" were the GM and Scouts words per the announcers. 'Sneak in' were my words.....so what's your point? 4 first rounders are 4 first rounders!I don't understand why people get so pissy about this stuff
I think people are annoyed by the title claiming the 2012 class is as good as the 2009 class. 2009 had 4 WR's go in the first 22 picks - this one will be lucky to have 2 go that early.I actually like this class but if I had to compare it to another class I'd say it's 2012 without Blackmon. I see 8 guys who would go in first two rounds but no obvious studs.
I'll stick with my initial assessment. I think 5 more WR's could go in the 2nd.

Rookie Mini Camp First Impressions by John Clayton. I like what I'm hearing about Hopkins and especially Woods.

The rookie-camp phase of the offseason has ended. Next, the OTAs begin.

Over the weekend, 23 teams held rookie minicamps. Last week, the other nine teams completed their rookie camps.

What have we learned over the past two weeks?

• The Houston Texans might have found the right help on the other side of Andre Johnson. The Texans used a first-round pick on wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, and he lived up to his billing "He's special," Houston coach Gary Kubiak said. "His ball skills are extremely special. He's going to help us early."

Robert Woods of the Buffalo Bills might be a steal for new coach Doug Marrone. Woods looked smooth running his routes during the week, and the Bills were desperate for a threat on the other side of Steve Johnson. The only reason Woods slipped into the second round is Southern California featured Marqise Lee last year. The Bills might be the benefactor.

• Ted Thompson created a great situation for the Green Bay Packers' backfield. Not only did he draft Eddie Lacy, but he also drafted Johnathan Franklin. They were roommates during minicamp and got along. The competition between the two could create the best backfield situation for Green Bay in years.

The Packers also made news by reshuffling their offensive line. Although vets weren't able to take part in rookie camp, Mike McCarthy was serious about fixing line issues. Bryan Bulaga has moved to left tackle. Rookie David Bakhtiari could challenge former left tackle Marshall Newhouse for the right tackle spot. Josh Sitton switched places with guard T.J. Lang, with Sitton moving to left guard and Lang at right guard. Evan Dietrich-Smith takes over for Jeff Saturday at center.

Geno Smith is a work in progress with the Jets, but he has a chance. Smith showed he prepared well for the minicamp; decision-making was a problem, but that was understandable. If the defensive alignment was new to him, Smith would double-clutch, but he can work his way through that. Smith's showing doesn't guarantee Mark Sanchez will be with the team, although Sanchez remains the favorite to be New York's starting quarterback.

Montee Ball lived up the billing that he could be the next Terrell Davis for the Denver Broncos. Ball's productivity in college and running style make him look like a perfect fit for the Broncos' offense. He's already being projected as the team's rushing leader for 2013.

• The addition of Tyler Eifert will change and improve the Cincinnati Bengals' offense. The Bengals can give more two-tight end looks and create major matchup problems for defenses -- try matching up against Jermaine Gresham and Eifert. Cincinnati was already loaded with promising young receivers along with the proven A.J. Green. Combine that with Jay Gruden's play calling, and the Bengals have a roar to their offense.

• The Oakland Raiders are not only in transition on the football field, but they remain in transition in the front office, as CEO Amy Trask resigned Saturday. She was among the highest ranking women leaders in sports and a loyal employee of the late Al Davis. Trask did great work for Davis, but the organization continues to reshape itself under Al's son, Mark.

• The rookie pool is working. Approximately 91 draft choices reached contract agreements since the draft. The entire draft classes of the Detroit Lions and New Orleans Saints are under contract. With the slots being well defined, there is no reason for players not to accept their deals, collect their signing bonuses and lock themselves in for four years.

I think this 2013 class is extremely underrated and will compare quite nicely to the gold mine class of 2009. Draft them early and often in your rookie drafts.Allen, Patterson, Woods, Hopkins, Hunter, Williams all impress me. There won't be as many first round NFL picks amoungst this class, but I think it will turn out as good as 2009 (Crabtree, Harvin, Nicks, Maclin, Britt, and Wallace....might be missing someone). Not sure what to think of Austin yet.
Oh sorry.....I apologize.....I'm pretty sure I was wrong when I made this comment! It should have read:

2013 WR CLASS >>> 2009 WR CLASS

Yes, I'm going to brag a bit already! I completely got ripped to shreds for even comparing 2013 WRs to 2009 WRs in tearms of overall talent, but on first view it looks like 2013 class with Allen, Patterson, Hopkins leading the way is actually going to be BETTER than the 2009 class.

Just call me Nostradamus! To all you people out there last year saying "this year's draft class sucks" in regards to the 2013 draft class........SUCK IT! While I am reeping the rewards of gobbling up young talent, you are still wondering what happened. If you want to win your leagues, you had better start listening to the Dead Liver!

I think this 2013 class is extremely underrated and will compare quite nicely to the gold mine class of 2009. Draft them early and often in your rookie drafts.Allen, Patterson, Woods, Hopkins, Hunter, Williams all impress me. There won't be as many first round NFL picks amoungst this class, but I think it will turn out as good as 2009 (Crabtree, Harvin, Nicks, Maclin, Britt, and Wallace....might be missing someone). Not sure what to think of Austin yet.
Oh sorry.....I apologize.....I'm pretty sure I was wrong when I made this comment! It should have read:

Yes, I'm going to brag a bit already! I completely got ripped to shreds for even comparing 2013 WRs to 2009 WRs in tearms of overall talent, but on first view it looks like 2013 class with Allen, Patterson, Hopkins leading the way is actually going to be BETTER than the 2009 class.

Just call me Nostradamus! To all you people out there last year saying "this year's draft class sucks" in regards to the 2013 draft class........SUCK IT! While I am reeping the rewards of gobbling up young talent, you are still wondering what happened. If you want to win your leagues, you had better start listening to the Dead Liver!
I will call you Nostra-something alright.

So you are disagreeing that the 2013 WR class is super talented? Interesting. LOL

I can give you credit for liking the 2013 class and seeing fantasy relevance - but I think you're being premature with claiming any victory on this, at the present time. It seems a little premature.

Keenan Allen had a great season. Hopkins was so-so. Patterson and Austin showed some flashes of athletic talent, but haven't established themselves as great receivers yet.

Crabtree, Nicks, Harvin, Maclin, Britt and Wallace all have at least one season of top production - and if all stay healthy (and if Britt ever grow up) should continue to be highly productive.

I can give you credit for liking the 2013 class and seeing fantasy relevance - but I think you're being premature with claiming any victory on this, at the present time. It seems a little premature.

Keenan Allen had a great season. Hopkins was so-so. Patterson and Austin showed some flashes of athletic talent, but haven't established themselves as great receivers yet.

Crabtree, Nicks, Harvin, Maclin, Britt and Wallace all have at least one season of top production - and if all stay healthy (and if Britt ever grow up) should continue to be highly productive.
I agree with what you say above about premature, but it's looking promising that 2013 will exceed 2009.

RE 2009: Maclin, Crabtree, and Harvin haven't stayed healthy....which is a big part of production. Britt is a headcase and doesn't belong in the league or in this converstaion. Wallace isn't the same in MIA and was more of a byproduct of Big Ben and the Steeler offense in general.

RE 2013: You failed to mention Terrance Williams, who is going to take over very productive WR#2 role in Dallas. Allen far exceeded expectations and actually finished ahead of every WR from the 2009 this past season. Patterson is going to be the best in this class IMO.....he's a freak and was showing signs of learning route skills towards the end of this past year. Hopkins looks fantastic too. I haven't even mentioned Wheaton, Woods, and Stills. I'm less sold now on Austin and Hunter, but those guys could still come around. It's funny you mention Kenny Britt......I'd much rather have Justin Hunter and it's not even close!

Carl Eller said:
Terpman22 said:
Carl Eller said:

So you are disagreeing that the 2013 WR class is super talented? Interesting. LOL
No. I just like calling people names. I am on the same page as you. I saw an opportunity in this last draft when most people were saying it wasn't that great, acquired a good amount of picks and grabbed a few of these guys. Allen and Woods are the only guys that you mentioned that I did not draft on a team last year.

Carl Eller said:
It's funny you mention Kenny Britt......I'd much rather have Justin Hunter and it's not even close!
So would I - but that's not really the point.

If you could start a dynasty team with Crabtree, Nicks, Maclin, Harvin, Britt and Wallace v. Allen, Hopkins, Patterson, Williams, Hunter and Austin - which would you choose?

I guess it could come down to philosophy of "proven" v. "potential", but I think an argument can be made that 2009 has more potential as well if they stay healthy. That's the thing Harvin and Nicks have had some injury concerns - but for all we know Allen and Patterson could suffer the same fate. Injuries are fluky, we can't really predict them.

Carl Eller said:
It's funny you mention Kenny Britt......I'd much rather have Justin Hunter and it's not even close!

If you could start a dynasty team with Crabtree, Nicks, Maclin, Harvin, Britt and Wallace v. Allen, Hopkins, Patterson, Williams, Hunter and Austin - which would you choose?

I guess it could come down to philosophy of "proven" v. "potential", but I think an argument can be made that 2009 has more potential as well if they stay healthy. That's the thing Harvin and Nicks have had some injury concerns - but for all we know Allen and Patterson could suffer the same fate. Injuries are fluky, we can't really predict them.
It's very close for me if I had to choose, but I'd go with the younger group AND healthier group! You'd also have to lump Wheaton, Woods, and Stills into that 2013 class as well......it looks like those guys could turn into very nice players too, especially Woods and Stills.

Carl Eller said:

It's very close for me if I had to choose, but I'd go with the younger group AND healthier group! You'd also have to lump Wheaton, Woods, and Stills into that 2013 class as well......it looks like those guys could turn into very nice players too, especially Woods and Stills.
You also have Dobson and darkhorse Da'Rick Rodgers in this group.

THis is an interesting discussion because Harvin and Crabs carry the '09 class and we remember that, when healthy, Nicks and Maclin were great too, but I can easily see that 2-3 years from now, there is both enough great athleticism in this draft (patterson, austin, Hunter, Rodgers, etc), and solid producers to where we might look back and give this to the '13 class just based on sheer depth.

If Allen is Allen and Williams basically becomes Maclin and any of these guys like Austin, Hopkins, Hunter, Patterson, really explode, I think they take this, looking back.

Carl Eller said:

You also have Dobson and darkhorse Da'Rick Rodgers in this group.

THis is an interesting discussion because Harvin and Crabs carry the '09 class and we remember that, when healthy, Nicks and Maclin were great too, but I can easily see that 2-3 years from now, there is both enough great athleticism in this draft (patterson, austin, Hunter, Rodgers, etc), and solid producers to where we might look back and give this to the '13 class just based on sheer depth.

If Allen is Allen and Williams basically becomes Maclin and any of these guys like Austin, Hopkins, Hunter, Patterson, really explode, I think they take this, looking back.
And Nicks isn't even startable anymore........I had to suffer owning him the past 2 years in a dynasty league and he basically cost me the title.

I think this one is still up in the air. The '13 class became good value over the '09 class because you could get Mr. Allen later in the 1st or the 2nd. The rest of the '13 class really hasn't done anything or had enough time to get hurt or be a headcase.

It's completely irrelevant if the 2013 class turns out better than the 2009 class, that's not what the conversation was about.

in fact , I'd be surprised if the 2009 class didn't turn out more successful than the 2009 class, which has completely fallen apart.

we were comparing them as PROSPECTS, not what they actually turned into.

It's completely irrelevant if the 2013 class turns out better than the 2009 class, that's not what the conversation was about.

in fact , I'd be surprised if the 2009 class didn't turn out more successful than the 2009 class, which has completely fallen apart.

we were comparing them as PROSPECTS, not what they actually turned into.
Actually the conversation was suppose to be comparing the 2013 class to 2009 class based on talent level......then it quickly turned into a pissing match over if there would be 3-4 first round WR's selected, because some were saying no more than 1 would be drafted in the 1st. Honestly, the whole point of this thread was to prove a point.....that the 2013 WR class might be extremely good and deep. Many were complaining that the 2013 class as a whole, not just the WRs, was weak. This post was intended to take the other side to that argument..........buy now, especially WRs. Hopkins, Patterson, Austin, Allen could all be special.....that's all. Whether the 2013 class turns out to be better than or worse than 2009 class wasn't really my point. My point was this class DOESN'T suck as most were saying.

Users who are viewing this thread