What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Oakland Raiders Regular Season Thread (2 Viewers)

32 Counter Pass said:
It is a hunch on my part. If you were in Reggie's shoes would you really want to bet on a guy with questionable work habits? Reggie's tenure will hinge on this draft with a focus on the first pick. Also consider that the trend seems to be on picking high chacater guys with early picks.
Probably shouldn't be throwing that out there as fact.

32 Counter Pass said:
It is a hunch on my part. If you were in Reggie's shoes would you really want to bet on a guy with questionable work habits? Reggie's tenure will hinge on this draft with a focus on the first pick. Also consider that the trend seems to be on picking high chacater guys with early picks.
If Reggie is looking for defensive help at the #5 spot Khalil Mack will be the way to go in my opinion. The more I see of him the more I like him. I'm really looking forward to his combine workout.

32 Counter Pass said:
If Reggie is looking for defensive help at the #5 spot Khalil Mack will be the way to go in my opinion. The more I see of him the more I like him. I'm really looking forward to his combine workout.
Think I heard Mayock say he'd take him at 1 overall

Everywhere you turned in Indianapolis, you saw front-office men chatting with agents. Drew Rosenhaus tweeted he met with all 32 teams here. That’s because the start of free agency is 15 days away, and the crop could be very good … and the average NFL team is about $17.8 million under the projected $130 million cap number. That should mean that after three years of an essentially flatlined NFL salary cap (2011: $120.4 million; 2012: $120.6 million; 2013: $123 million), teams will be tempted to spend like they haven’t in the past couple springs.

It’s basically a time of implicit tampering, when agents are taking the temperature on their potential free-market players. No deals are supposed to be made before the March 11 opening of the market, but it’s naïve to think deals aren’t discussed. Not by every team, but certainly some.

The heightened activity this year is also because the meter is running on the salary cap in every NFL front office. There was a provision in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement that most in the public have forgotten but that’s soon going to come into significant play. In the four cap years 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, each NFL team must spend a minimum of 89 percent of its cap money. And the league must spend a collective minimum of 95 percent of its cap money. That was put in to stop teams from hoarding money and not spending it. Oakland, for instance, has a substantial amount of cap money available—about $70 million—and the Raiders will be almost forced to spend a large amount of it or deal with onerous league sanctions at the end of the four-year period, in 2017.

There’s an estimated $470 million in cap money available to teams to spend this contract season, and GMs know they can’t hoard that money for long.
Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Raiders out there high on Latavius Murray? Assuming DMC is gone and Jennings takes a FA contract somewhere else, he might have an inside shot at the starting job. I watched a few of his highlights and got the impression that although he's huge and fast, he run's fairly upright without great pad level. But the size/speed combo is enticing.

Chances he starts at RB for the raiders in +1 game next season?

Any Raiders out there high on Latavius Murray? Assuming DMC is gone and Jennings takes a FA contract somewhere else, he might have an inside shot at the starting job. I watched a few of his highlights and got the impression that although he's huge and fast, he run's fairly upright without great pad level. But the size/speed combo is enticing.

Chances he starts at RB for the raiders in +1 game next season?
You know, it's possible. Looking at his college highlights, I wasn't particularly impressed, which, I know, isn't worth much. I thought he looked like an upright runner, nor particularly shifty. Kind of like DMC, but not as special an athlete. But there was some positive buzz last summer, which also isn't worth much.I doubt DMC is back, the question becomes who does Oakland bring in to compete? Jennings is a backup, so Murray will probably be competing with a rookie and another vet.

[SIZE=16pt]Oakland Raiders anxious to see healthy Latavius Murray [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Paul Tenorio Orlando Sentinel[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]INDIANAPOLIS -- Oakland Raiders coach Dennis Allenhttp://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/sports/football/dennis-allen-PESPT0016431.topic is anxious to see a healthy Latavius Murray in camp this summer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Speaking at the NFL Scouting Combinehttp://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/sports/football/nfl-scouting-combine-EVSPR000225.topic on Thursday, Allen discussed the potential of the former UCF running back.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]"I think Latavius is one of those guys that we’re anxious to see be healthy and get out there and play," Allen said. "He’s a big back that’s got excellent speed and excellent size. He runs tough. Unfortunately, he had the injury this past wasn’t able to go out and compete. We’ll find out a lot more about Latavius Murray as we go through the offseason program and into training camp."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Murray, a 6-3, 230-pound back, was an all-Conference-USA selection in his senior season with the Knights, rushing for 2,424 yards and 44 touchdowns in his career at UCF. Drafted in the sixth round in 2013, Murray was ultimately sidelined by an ankle injury and was placed on injured reserve before the start of his rookie season. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Murray did flash potential before the injury, however, and the Raiders hope he can sustain that over the course of a season.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]"He was never fully healthy, and every time he got healthy, the ankle reared its ugly head again and he was back down," Allen said. "There were a couple of plays in there. I think it was the Dallas game maybe where he got a run over on the sideline and was able to lower his shoulder and really finish a run off really well. So there are plays in there I can think of that are exciting and encouraging to me. But, again, he’s got very limited experience and limited exposure." [/SIZE]
Someone asked about Latavius Murray. Here's a recent article from the combine in Indy asking Dennis Allen about Murray. There's some interesting nuggets here, but the general consensus is we really don't know enough about Murray to say one way or the other that he's going to be able to replace Rashad Jennings should push come to shove. From what little I saw of Murray, I don't think the upright running style is going to be that much of a liability. In fact, I think he was able to get some good leverage on that run that Dennis Allen was talking about (if it's the same one I'm thinking about). He's got the tools to replace Jennings, and certainly DMC. I'm done apologizing for DMC. He had lousy vision and insincts, but when he did choose the right cutback lane he was lethal in open space. But too many runs straight into blockers backs, and it's nice to see what a pedestrian back like Jennings could do last year. In the end, I expect Jennings to be signed and in a committee with Murray.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1971932-raiders-sign-taiwan-jones-to-contract-extension#articles/1971932-raiders-sign-taiwan-jones-to-contract-extension

Reggie signes Taiwan Jones to a contract extension. The money spending's just starting. Get the checkbook humming Reggie!
Have to ask. I've always liked Taiwan's talent, but he hasn't produced on the field, has he?

Per RW, this is over $1.3 mill per year, isn't that a lot for him? Is there some secret plan here, is he really "one of the NFL’s best special teams players"? I still think he should be a RB, sure seems like they're paying him like one.

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Raiders-Sign-Taiwan-Jones-to-Contract-Extension/e96cac12-9562-45c8-858d-0db6ac27a9d5

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1971932-raiders-sign-taiwan-jones-to-contract-extension#articles/1971932-raiders-sign-taiwan-jones-to-contract-extension

Reggie signes Taiwan Jones to a contract extension. The money spending's just starting. Get the checkbook humming Reggie!
Have to ask. I've always liked Taiwan's talent, but he hasn't produced on the field, has he?

Per RW, this is over $1.3 mill per year, isn't that a lot for him? Is there some secret plan here, is he really "one of the NFL’s best special teams players"? I still think he should be a RB, sure seems like they're paying him like one.

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Raiders-Sign-Taiwan-Jones-to-Contract-Extension/e96cac12-9562-45c8-858d-0db6ac27a9d5
Taiwan is a very good special teams player and he can also play CB and RB. He played at all three positions last season. He is very versatile.

Has he shown any progress in his conversion to DB? That's a serious question because I don't have any idea.

I guess they figured since they spend some effort on him already, they may as well keep working with him. I'm guessing he's being paid near the minimum.

Has he shown any progress in his conversion to DB? That's a serious question because I don't have any idea.

I guess they figured since they spend some effort on him already, they may as well keep working with him. I'm guessing he's being paid near the minimum.
Had 14 special teams tackles and excelled as a gunner on kickoffs. Serviceable with help as a nickel corner. Not anyone you want to rely on as a starter. Can return kicks. A jack of all trades and paid like one. His RB days are behind him.

I think if Bridgewater is there at 5, we should take him. We could spend money to obtain Schaub (or a lesser pick like Vick, who might give us 6 games, or Freeman, who I can't see turning our O around), but QB has been a huge hole for us since Gannon and if a talent like Bridgewater is there to build pieces around, we should leap.

My feeling is that Bridgewater, Bortles (another guy I think we should consider at 5 if he's there), and Clowney would help us right away towards solidifying a long term path back to excellence -- but more than likely all will be long gone. Despite the obvious talent, I think Manziel is a risk in transitioning to the pros physically or (especially) mentally.

If that's the case, would love Mack there to help give us skill at the position and adding help anywhere and everywhere over the line. We might also consider Sammy Watkins -- we desperately need a #1 WR, and he's clearly top of the class. Jake Matthews would also be good to shore up our front 5.

One other way to go is trading down -- not sure Reggie has shown true proficiency in selecting talent, but the club has been willing to swap picks for depth over the last few years, and we have a lot of early picks in the first 5-6 rounds. We could look into capitalizing a few trade downs and loading up on some quality depth with BPAs -- and could still address QB which looks comparatively deep this year. Stockpiling talent at areas of most need, we could then fill in key pieces with proven talent in free agency.

With our deep pockets, signing Veldheer and Houston and keeping other critical pieces on the team is a must. From there, we might even bring in a guy like Tate, though he's almost as injury prone as DMC. Spending on a guy like Maclin, Decker or Britt, and Dansby, Beason, Orakpo or Shaun Phillips may also fill the gaps mentioned above if we don't draft that way. Vick is interesting, but I think has way more value if the team was sold on trying to develop Pryor.

Very, very interesting year, and agree that this is THE make or break year. Not just for Reggie and the staff. We've been working towards this exact situation -- tons of cap room, good draft spots, and solid talent in the draft and coming out of free agency -- for a long time. If we can't tangibly turn it around this year, I am not sure we ever can.

Per Rotoword the Raiders resigned Khalif Barnes.

Good grief. Seriously? This is the best they can do with all the cap space? And why AREN'T they focused on getting Veldheer and Houston resigned.

Not very happy about the return of "speed bump."

:kicksrock:

I dont get it when people say, even when healthy, or playing unhealthy, DMC hasnt done anything impressive.

2011 Season (points)

2010 he put up monster numbers!

I dont see where its too "far off" to say he will have a pretty damn good season if he plays 17 games. I think a full blown RBBC with DMC would be a GREAT look for him... especially statistically. (With the way he can rack up REC yds/td, he only need a 3-5 catches a game with 10-15 carries.)

This is the money pick this year. Spot on, the type of player that could put you over the top, or be the guy you need to replace because you trusted him, and it just wasn't working out.

32 Counter Pass said:
Per Rotoword the Raiders resigned Khalif Barnes.

Good grief. Seriously? This is the best they can do with all the cap space? And why AREN'T they focused on getting Veldheer and Houston resigned.

Not very happy about the return of "speed bump."

:kicksrock:
I actually don't mind Khalif Barnes getting re-signed. It's only for 1 year and I'm sure at low cost. I'm thinking he is being brought back as a backup which I like because he can play multiple positions on the line. He can play LT, RT, and guard. It is nice to have a versatile player like that at a low cost on your team.

Barnes got done already because it was a fairly simple contract to get done I'm sure. Veldheer and Houston will take more time, I'm not worried.

Kind of wish they lost one more game last year to have a higher pick. HAVE to hit a home run with the 5 pick.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders trade down.

I think there are enough unique talents in the top 5 at different positions, there will likely be some interest in moving up to 5.

Watson, Robinson, Mathews and Mack all feel like can't miss prospects that should be available for the Raider's first pick. I know that Wr is a big need, but not as big as getting more talent up front on both sides of the ball. If they trade down, they better get more than they did last year. And they better stay in reach to get either Donald or Hageman to shore to the DLine.

Rotoworld:

According to Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, "word is" the Raiders liked Fresno State QB Derek Carr "more" than Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "coming out of the Combine."
In Farmer's March 2 mock draft, he has the Raiders selecting Carr at No. 5 overall, and Manziel slipping to the Vikings at No. 8. Farmer is plugged-in both nationally and locally, so his reporting is always notable. There does seem to be an increasing sentiment that quarterbacks are generally rated more highly by draftniks and casual mock drafters than they are amongst NFL decision makers. Both Manziel and Carr are already polarizing prospects.

Related: Raiders

Source: Los Angeles Times

Rotoworld:

According to Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, "word is" the Raiders liked Fresno State QB Derek Carr "more" than Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "coming out of the Combine."
In Farmer's March 2 mock draft, he has the Raiders selecting Carr at No. 5 overall, and Manziel slipping to the Vikings at No. 8. Farmer is plugged-in both nationally and locally, so his reporting is always notable. There does seem to be an increasing sentiment that quarterbacks are generally rated more highly by draftniks and casual mock drafters than they are amongst NFL decision makers. Both Manziel and Carr are already polarizing prospects.

Related: Raiders

Source: Los Angeles Times
If the Raiders take Carr over Manziel at 5 that may be my last straw with this regime. If they take Carr period at 5 that may be it for me. I have zero confidence in Reggie as a talent evaluator and taking Carr would be about what I would expect from him, sadly.

Rotoworld:

The Raiders didn't use the franchise tag on LT Jared Veldheer or RE Lamarr Houston by Monday afternoon's deadline.
It means there's nothing to stop Veldheer or Houston from reaching the open market if that's their heart's desire. It's a surprising decision from the Raiders, who have not only the league's worst roster, but also the most cap space. GM Reggie McKenzie must be confident he can get Veldheer locked up before the start of free agency, or believes he has a foolproof back-up plan. We wouldn't count on it. Veldheer will have no shortage of suitors if he reaches the open market, and they'll all be more competent than the team that made him the No. 69 pick of the 2010 draft.

Related: Lamarr Houston

Source: Contra Costa Times

I fail to see the logic behind not tagging Veldheer or Houston, especially given the cap space.

I agree, it's hard to see the logic in this, but there's a bigger picture we won't understand until after the Draft and Free Agency are over.

I agree, it's hard to see the logic in this, but there's a bigger picture we won't understand until after the Draft and Free Agency are over.
There are not tons of guys in FA that are better than these two guys. What this tells me is that they are OK with losing both and that is unacceptable to me. I do not want to believe it, but maybe the fact that Al drafted these guys is a factor here.

There are not tons of guys in FA that are better than these two guys. What this tells me is that they are OK with losing both and that is unacceptable to me. I do not want to believe it, but maybe the fact that Al drafted these guys is a factor here.
Just 'cause Oakland has a ton of cap, would you feel better if we handed Houston a blank check? Do you really feel he's worth it? There's no telling what Houston and his agent are asking... Either a.) Someone else hands him funny money (ala Wheeler), we then sign someone else who is actually worth their price tag. (ala Burnett) or b.) he tests the market and comes back to sign for a reasonable price.

I'm with you on Veldheer though. No telling wether we're far apart in contract talks or about to announce a new contract this week.

Just 'cause Oakland has a ton of cap, would you feel better if we handed Houston a blank check? Do you really feel he's worth it? There's no telling what Houston and his agent are asking... Either a.) Someone else hands him funny money (ala Wheeler), we then sign someone else who is actually worth their price tag. (ala Burnett) or b.) he tests the market and comes back to sign for a reasonable price.

I'm with you on Veldheer though. No telling wether we're far apart in contract talks or about to announce a new contract this week.
It would not be a blank check. If they could not work out a long term deal with Veldheer the tag would have been about $11 million. If they tagged Houston and could not work out a long term deal it would have been about $13 million. If anything the tag would have given them leverage to work out a long term deal. Either the player signs a long term deal or they risk playing next year on a one year deal. Players do not want to get tagged because it gives the team leverage, now they can both go out and sign anywhere they want when FA starts.

I fail to see the logic behind not tagging Veldheer or Houston, especially given the cap space.
It's pure genius. Let the left tackle walk, draft Derek Carr and start making excuses as to why he sucks. Keep job as you fix all the 'excuses' like they did in Houston all those years until they had no excuses left. Casserly and Capers kept their gigs for 4 years running this scheme.

I would feel better if Reggie had used the transition tag on Houston, just like the Browns did with Mack. (Good grief, how bad is it when we have to point top the Browns as a preferred method of doing business?) The Raiders would have then had the opportunity to match any offer. Since Reggie did not even use the transition tag on either Veldheer or Houston there is a good chance they lose the best two players on the roster with no compensation.

I have tried to remain open minded and positive about Reggie, but this latest news strains my ability to remain optimistic. Makes no sense and seems to indicate the Raiders are more concerned about money than winning.

ETA: :hot:

Pretty much how I feel as well. I really hope my feeling of mark Davis doing everything on the cheap is unfounded, we shall see.

If we lose both of those guys and then draft a qb at 1.05......... The end is near. :(

And to top if off, Gil Brandt mentioned rumors of the Raiders wanting to trade UP to get a QB. That would be the kicker: They loose their left tackle., Trade a bunch of picks to move up –– despite the fact that Reggie has hid behind the lack of draft choices excuse for two years –– to pick a rookie QB. Then surround him with no protection and talent.

If that is how this unfolds then: :tfp:

and I start a campaign to hire Pat Shumur as the next coach. (You heard it here first!)

It would not be a blank check. If they could not work out a long term deal with Veldheer the tag would have been about $11 million. If they tagged Houston and could not work out a long term deal it would have been about $13 million. If anything the tag would have given them leverage to work out a long term deal. Either the player signs a long term deal or they risk playing next year on a one year deal. Players do not want to get tagged because it gives the team leverage, now they can both go out and sign anywhere they want when FA starts.
I'm ok with the tags not being used on Veldheer and Houston, Neither are worth that amount of money.

Agree with most here -- there better be a plan and some daylight here to sign both to long term deals.

Letting either or both Houston and Veldheer simply waltz into FA without what appears like even trying is inexcusable. I do not subscribe one iota to any GM, owner, coach, etc. feeling they can risk true talent leaving to another squad simply because they didn't draft the guy.

I'm ok with the tags not being used on Veldheer and Houston, Neither are worth that amount of money.
You don't know what amount of money either player is seeking so how can you make that statement? As I said before using the transition tag wouldn't have commited the Raiders to over spend, only allow them to match. Failing to use the tag allows for the possibility of their best two players walk without compensation. It just doesn't make any sense because of the lack of talent on the team, and large cap space available.

You don't know what amount of money either player is seeking so how can you make that statement? As I said before using the transition tag wouldn't have commited the Raiders to over spend, only allow them to match. Failing to use the tag allows for the possibility of their best two players walk without compensation. It just doesn't make any sense because of the lack of talent on the team, and large cap space available.
I stand by what I said. :shrug: I'm obviously not as worried about it as you all are.

You must be related to Reggie.
For me its just that I'm not going to panic until free agency starts. If by that time one or both of them are not signed then I won't be a happy camper but we have some time left yet to get a deal done. I would be more upset losing Veldheer then Houston. However, I do want both back.

I still don't understand the reasoning behind not using at least the transition tag. If you look at the $60+ million or so that Reggie has to spend toward's this year's cap, it leverages at least one player to own up to a front loaded (100%) short term deal with no cap hits going forward. Other GMs have used the tag against the player as a tool to coerce a hometown discount. Now that the tag deadline is past, there's really nothing to stop either Houston or Veldheer from testing the market. Now Reggie has nothing to hold over their heads. It will be interesting to see if he can pull off a long term deal with either of them between now and the next few days when the bidding wars open. The roster is so devoid of talent, losing either or both of them will be a huge hit on the core of this team. If the plan is to build from the deconstruction phase, losing top shelf talents like Houston and Veldheer will be going sideways, even if they have a great draft and pull of some nice free agent buys. The whole point of having a ginormous cap space was to build, not change spare parts for like parts. I don't understand what Reggie's plan is, but it seems awfully risky going into a "no excuses" year.

Rotoworld:

Raiders re-signed exclusive rights free agents RB Jeremy Stewart, RB Jamize Olawale, OL Matt McCants, LB Kaelin Burnett, and FS Brandian Ross.
With Darren McFadden and Rashad Jennings free agents, Stewart is penciled in as the Raiders' No. 2 running back behind Latavius Murray. He carried the ball just two times last season after toting it 25 times for 101 yards in 2012. Ross played 982 defensive snaps at safety but was torched in coverage.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

I still don't understand the reasoning behind not using at least the transition tag. If you look at the $60+ million or so that Reggie has to spend toward's this year's cap, it leverages at least one player to own up to a front loaded (100%) short term deal with no cap hits going forward. Other GMs have used the tag against the player as a tool to coerce a hometown discount. Now that the tag deadline is past, there's really nothing to stop either Houston or Veldheer from testing the market. Now Reggie has nothing to hold over their heads. It will be interesting to see if he can pull off a long term deal with either of them between now and the next few days when the bidding wars open. The roster is so devoid of talent, losing either or both of them will be a huge hit on the core of this team. If the plan is to build from the deconstruction phase, losing top shelf talents like Houston and Veldheer will be going sideways, even if they have a great draft and pull of some nice free agent buys. The whole point of having a ginormous cap space was to build, not change spare parts for like parts. I don't understand what Reggie's plan is, but it seems awfully risky going into a "no excuses" year.
Well said, my man.

i have zero faith in this current regime. i am in a holding pattern of wait and see. so far, and i know it's early, i don't like what i'm seeing.

and i'll again state for the record; i do not want a qb at 1.05.

I'm in the minority here. I love what McKenzie has done from the moment he arrived.

I've been dreaming for years of the post-Al day where we blow the whole place up and start from scratch. Making moves that actually make sense on the CAP, with the culture and on the field. I don't think it feels right to most of you because it isn't what you're used to. We aren't going to overpay for average players just because they're home grown. We aren't going to give away draft picks for other team's throwaways. We won't make the big FA splash signings and we're no longer going to draft HWS guys off their 40 time.

Stick with it, have faith. Don't be so short-sighted. McKenzie is in the middle of cleaning up one of the worst messes in the history of sport, I don't say that in jest either. It's crazy how bad this organization got. Some of you will whine no matter what. The same posters who were here complaining when Al was around are still emo even though we're doing the opposite.

Us Raiders fans fall in love with mediocre players because it's all we have. Let's see what the lens of other NFL GMs reveal. I'm fine with letting the league set market value and not overpay for Veldheer/Houston because you're afraid of the unknown. Sack up, they aren't elite, if they walk, big deal. We'll stand our ground, capitalize on good players and contracts and build this franchise the right way. The Raiders are not winning the Super Bowl this year, "Getovah it" (RIP AL). However, we are setting ourselves up for long term success and the opportunity to capitalize on smart investments when wise opportunities arise down the line. Wether you notice or not, Reggie is bringing in a different type of man to wear the Silver and Black. Good character, strong work ethic, lovers of the game. These things will all add up and pair well with new talent to form the new Raider culture. It'll attract better players and detract the negativity we've had to endure over the last decade.

Also, just because we're still the whipping stick of the sports media it doesn't mean they're right. I've seen media outlets, draft pundits and fantasy writers get all over every move the Raiders make. Right now we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. I promise every player we drop will be a bad move and every player we sign will be written up as a weak pickup by Oakland. But guess what ...the organization deserves every bit of it for what it's done over the last decade. However, over the last few years we aren't repeating the same mistakes. We've written a new plan and it's going to take more than 2 or 3 years to construct it. Heck, it took 2 years just to burn it down.

Patience, my fellow Raiders. The best is yet to come.

Veldheer and Houston are very highly regarded talents by most NFL folks. Just take a look at any top 100 free agent lists, or listen to former GMs on Sirus or other the NFL network. As Pat Kirwin says, you replace talent with talent, and you do not let good talent go if you can help it. Reggie has the cap space to avoid the risk of losing these two players and did not exercise it.

Can you honestly say that if the Raiders are better if they loose Veldheer and Houston? We will see how the draft and free agency unfolds but I fell like this could be a bad omen. Gil Brandt said that he could not explain Reggie's thinking and that it didn't make any sense to not tag either player.

It is easy to say the best is yet to come when we have had back to back 4 win seasons? It can't get much worse?

I'm in the minority here. I love what McKenzie has done from the moment he arrived.

I've been dreaming for years of the post-Al day where we blow the whole place up and start from scratch. Making moves that actually make sense on the CAP, with the culture and on the field. I don't think it feels right to most of you because it isn't what you're used to. We aren't going to overpay for average players just because they're home grown. We aren't going to give away draft picks for other team's throwaways. We won't make the big FA splash signings and we're no longer going to draft HWS guys off their 40 time.

Stick with it, have faith. Don't be so short-sighted. McKenzie is in the middle of cleaning up one of the worst messes in the history of sport, I don't say that in jest either. It's crazy how bad this organization got. Some of you will whine no matter what. The same posters who were here complaining when Al was around are still emo even though we're doing the opposite.

Us Raiders fans fall in love with mediocre players because it's all we have. Let's see what the lens of other NFL GMs reveal. I'm fine with letting the league set market value and not overpay for Veldheer/Houston because you're afraid of the unknown. Sack up, they aren't elite, if they walk, big deal. We'll stand our ground, capitalize on good players and contracts and build this franchise the right way. The Raiders are not winning the Super Bowl this year, "Getovah it" (RIP AL). However, we are setting ourselves up for long term success and the opportunity to capitalize on smart investments when wise opportunities arise down the line. Wether you notice or not, Reggie is bringing in a different type of man to wear the Silver and Black. Good character, strong work ethic, lovers of the game. These things will all add up and pair well with new talent to form the new Raider culture. It'll attract better players and detract the negativity we've had to endure over the last decade.

Also, just because we're still the whipping stick of the sports media it doesn't mean they're right. I've seen media outlets, draft pundits and fantasy writers get all over every move the Raiders make. Right now we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. I promise every player we drop will be a bad move and every player we sign will be written up as a weak pickup by Oakland. But guess what ...the organization deserves every bit of it for what it's done over the last decade. However, over the last few years we aren't repeating the same mistakes. We've written a new plan and it's going to take more than 2 or 3 years to construct it. Heck, it took 2 years just to burn it down.

:goodposting: The best post in the thread yet. Well said One.

:goodposting: The best post in the thread yet. Well said One.
:goodposting:

That was a very nice pep talk about the meaning of patience. Don't get me wrong, some of it ring true. But a lot of comes off as big time Reggie apologist speak. What has he done to the roster to build a core since he took over? Any stud picks to speak of? His first draft class was almost a complete washout. His second draft included a top 3 pick, and that pick has so far is nothing more than a lick and promise. 16 draft picks and what do we have to show for it? Sio Moore and Mike Rivera? Meanwhile Seattle was busy putting back to back to back drafts the last year culling through the late rounds for impact performers to the their super bowl run. Meanwhile Kansas City turned around a moribund franchise in one year.

Mark Davis has already come out in an interview with Vic Tafur recently and said he's very dissappointed with Reggie's progress. That consecutive 4-12 records are not what was expected. Reggie and DA are both on notice for their jobs. Reggie is responsible for building back the talent around a core of players. Yesterday DA mentioned the core players and you could count them on two hands. And they included Veldheer and Houston.

The fatal flaw I have with the "just patience baby" argument is that Reggie is operating on borrowed time. He can no longer take steps to dismantle and build back up. That was last year and maybe even the year before. Today's reality is that he's expected to build the franchise back up. Add without subtracting. Losing Veldheer and/or Houston distrupts the momentum. So say Reggie does have an active free agency and brings in new high dollar blood. It's still two steps forward and one step back. It won't be enough change, enough talent, enough culture shock to jumpstart a team in need of a defibulator. We are a 4-12 team. We suck. We deserve to be chastized by the other fans and the press. We own that record. We are going into next season facing the toughest schedule in the NFL. It's not going to be purty. And yet Reggie is GMing for his life. What's it going to take to save his and DA's job? Or are those mutually exclusive? 8 wins? 9 wins? playoffs? playoffs? playoffs? puleeeze!

TL:DR regarding the fatal flaw, if Reggie can't get some serious momentum going soon building the core, his butt is going to hit the street soon, and we get to start this entire dysfunctional merry-go-round all over again. How much fun!

Just patience baby!

Users who are viewing this thread