What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Oakland Raiders Regular Season Thread (1 Viewer)

<script language='javascript'> </script>

I'm in the minority here. I love what McKenzie has done from the moment he arrived.

Wether you notice or not, Reggie is bringing in a different type of man to wear the Silver and Black. Good character, strong work ethic, lovers of the game. These things will all add up and pair well with new talent to form the new Raider culture. It'll attract better players and detract the negativity we've had to endure over the last decade.
I think Veldheer and Houston fit that description.

What exactly has Reggie done? All he did was blow the whole thing up. That was the easy part. Anyone could have decided to let everyone walk and not sign anyone of note till the cap situation was in good shape. The hard part is building it back up and bringing in good players. Part of the reason to get in a good cap situation is to keep the good players you already have.

He had a top 3 pick last year that he desperately needed to hit on. He traded that pick for less than fair value based on every similar trade down in the last 20 years. He then reached for a player who almost died with huge question marks who so far has not worked out. He took the second round pick he got in that deal and drafted a project who missed almost the whole year with injury. We still have no idea if either player will be a guy that can contribute to turning this thing around. That is miserable. Oh and he took a player in the fourth round that did not even make the team. It is very rare for a fourth round pick to be such a miss that he does not even make the team.

I think he is in over his head and is not a good talent evaluator.

Has this guy brought in any young talent since he arrived? Not a Raider fan but I am having trouble thinking of one impact player this team has under contract.

What do you Raider fans think of the WR situation in Oakland? I was a long-time fan of Denarius Moore, but it looks like he's just never going to pan out to what his potential looked like a few years ago, for whatever reason. At times in the second half of the season, he was overtaken by Streater and Holmes.

Speaking of Streater, he had 60/~900 as a second year last year, mostly under the red-headed QB, but I can't get crap for him in the trade market. Despite the fact that he's going into this 3rd year, the QB situation should hopefully improve, and he's 6'3''.

Seems like one way or another, they are in need of a true WR1, pushing Streater to #2 and Moore to the slot, with Holmes as a high(ish) upside backup.

I've seen quite a few mocks with the Raiders taking the best WR on the board in the first, either Watkins or Evans.

Dennis Allen: Raiders must 'make something happen'

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Before last season, we anointed Dennis Allen as one of our prized "Making the Leap" candidates for 2013.

The Raiders coach failed to make us soothsayers, churning out a second consecutive four-win campaign that saw Oakland crash hard down the stretch. The result is a coach under more pressure than any other in the AFC West.

"There's no question that this is the year we have to make something happen," Allen recently told the San Francisco Chronicle. "We need to show significant improvement this season. We have to show that this is a team on the rise ... and the record needs to show that."

Allen correctly has interpreted the demands of owner Mark Davis, who told the newspaper last month that his hand-picked coach has "no built-in excuses anymore." Same goes for general manager Reggie McKenzie, who successfully tugged the Raiders out of financial hell and now has more salary-cap room to play with than any decision-maker in football.

"This is (the offseason) that we've been building toward the last few years," said Davis, sounding much like his father. "So, yeah, there is no question. We have to hit it right now."

We pondered on the latest "Around The League Podcast" why a team with so much loot and so little talent would allow left tackle Jared Veldheer and pass-rusher Lamarr Houston to waltz untouched into free agency.

Letting your only stars walk is extremely frustrating for Raiders fans to swallow and far from the beginning of the "hit it right now" offseason Davis is chanting about. We'll patiently wait to see if McKenzie manages to ink Veldheer or Houston, or both, to long-term deals before questioning his game plan.

If he fails to do so, and if the Raiders don't find a quarterback or lace both sides of the ball with significant talent, it's tough to predict anything beyond another four-win misadventure. Another season like that will have Allen and McKenzie making the leap out of Oakland for good.

The latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast" weighs in on Monday's franchise-tag surprises and unpacks all the 49ers drama out west.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you Raider fans think of the WR situation in Oakland? I was a long-time fan of Denarius Moore, but it looks like he's just never going to pan out to what his potential looked like a few years ago, for whatever reason. At times in the second half of the season, he was overtaken by Streater and Holmes.

Speaking of Streater, he had 60/~900 as a second year last year, mostly under the red-headed QB, but I can't get crap for him in the trade market. Despite the fact that he's going into this 3rd year, the QB situation should hopefully improve, and he's 6'3''.

Seems like one way or another, they are in need of a true WR1, pushing Streater to #2 and Moore to the slot, with Holmes as a high(ish) upside backup.

I've seen quite a few mocks with the Raiders taking the best WR on the board in the first, either Watkins or Evans.
I don't want to oversell you on the trio of Holmes-Streater-Moore going into the 2014 season. But I think the group as a whole is highly underrated. Well at least insofar as their potential. What's missing here is a franchise QB. A young rookie QB who can paint an accurate crosshair on his target downfield and get them the ball in space. Now I'm not saying Peyton Manning would convert this group into D Thomas, Welker, Decker, J Thomas... but I am telling you it would be a world of difference in getting to that level.

Raiders have drafted 3 QBs in the first round since 1980. Everyone remembers the last time we took a QB high in the first round and bit us in the butt. We can't be afraid to take a chance on one of the potential franchise QB's in the draft. Personally Teddy B is my favorite, but whoever we settle on we need to go strong and fix the most key position on the field. The rest of the WR production will follow. I love me some Sammy Watkins too, but we need to swing for the fences this draft and take a potential franchise QB over a sure fire stud like Watkins. History shows it's really the only way to jump start this team from its long QB-less coma.

Has this guy brought in any young talent since he arrived? Not a Raider fan but I am having trouble thinking of one impact player this team has under contract.
I think Sio Moore definitely deserves some mention. Not that I'm giving Reggie a passing grade on his evaluation skills. Rivera the rookie TE out of Tennessee deserves some props too. McGee had a nice rookie year. Still holding question marks over the heads of the first round corner DJ Hayden and second round tackle Watson. It's not a failing grade, but it's definitely below avg.

That was a very nice pep talk about the meaning of patience. Don't get me wrong, some of it ring true. But a lot of comes off as big time Reggie apologist speak. What has he done to the roster to build a core since he took over? Any stud picks to speak of? His first draft class was almost a complete washout. His second draft included a top 3 pick, and that pick has so far is nothing more than a lick and promise. 16 draft picks and what do we have to show for it? Sio Moore and Mike Rivera? Meanwhile Seattle was busy putting back to back to back drafts the last year culling through the late rounds for impact performers to the their super bowl run. Meanwhile Kansas City turned around a moribund franchise in one year.

Mark Davis has already come out in an interview with Vic Tafur recently and said he's very dissappointed with Reggie's progress. That consecutive 4-12 records are not what was expected. Reggie and DA are both on notice for their jobs. Reggie is responsible for building back the talent around a core of players. Yesterday DA mentioned the core players and you could count them on two hands. And they included Veldheer and Houston.

The fatal flaw I have with the "just patience baby" argument is that Reggie is operating on borrowed time. He can no longer take steps to dismantle and build back up. That was last year and maybe even the year before. Today's reality is that he's expected to build the franchise back up. Add without subtracting. Losing Veldheer and/or Houston distrupts the momentum. So say Reggie does have an active free agency and brings in new high dollar blood. It's still two steps forward and one step back. It won't be enough change, enough talent, enough culture shock to jumpstart a team in need of a defibulator. We are a 4-12 team. We suck. We deserve to be chastized by the other fans and the press. We own that record. We are going into next season facing the toughest schedule in the NFL. It's not going to be purty. And yet Reggie is GMing for his life. What's it going to take to save his and DA's job? Or are those mutually exclusive? 8 wins? 9 wins? playoffs? playoffs? playoffs? puleeeze!

TL:DR regarding the fatal flaw, if Reggie can't get some serious momentum going soon building the core, his butt is going to hit the street soon, and we get to start this entire dysfunctional merry-go-round all over again. How much fun!

Just patience baby!
I can't take you serious when you are comparing the Raiders to the Chiefs turn around. The Chiefs had a LOT of talent on the team when Reid took the team over. You can't even compare the talent on the Chiefs and the Raiders. Just about everyone knew that Crennel would be a disaster in Kansas City, he is a horrible head coach. As soon as they got a decent head coach with the amount of talent that team had of course they would turn things around.

Because he make one statement that may be questionable doesn't invalidate everything else in his post. He has a solid take.

I am not willing to go as far as him regarding Reggie, but failing to tag either of their best players really shakes my confidence level in Reggie.

Because he make one statement that may be questionable doesn't invalidate everything else in his post. He has a solid take.

I am not willing to go as far as him regarding Reggie, but failing to tag either of their best players really shakes my confidence level in Reggie.
It wasn't just that one statement. I pretty much disagree with everything he said. :shrug:

Its a strange time to be a Raider fan. I think the thing that drives most of us fans crazy is all of the unknowns. When Al Davis was alive we knew in his own unorthodox way he was going to try to build a winner. Now that didn't work out so well the last 10 years of his reign when he lost his edge (to put it mildly, but thats a completely different topic). My point being, I don't trust Reggie yet. I question his draft picks and most of his decisions so far. I just don't see any direction with the team. Are they trying to build through the trenches? Are they wanting to make the defense the strength of the team? More importantly I don't think they have a clue as to who the QB of the future will be anymore than all of you or I. That's the frustrating part for me. Wheres the leadership on and off the field? Who are the Raiders going to be in the post Al Davis era?

All we have is a blank canvas, which will either turn into a masterpiece or a kindergarten art project.

It is an odd time to be a Raider fan - I completely agree with Bruno2.

I flip flop on my opinion of Reggie's tenure. At times I'm frustrated, but yet realize he was dealt a horrible hand. I'm happy that he has been given time to make his changes, yet frustrated that I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I like his prove it contracts, but hate to see players leave. But the draft picks, those are the most concerning from me.

I don't expect every guy to be a home run. And I don't expect every guy to be on the field immediately. I was happy with the Hayden pick when it was made, but have been disappointed that Hayden hasn't been on the field as much. I'm not willing to throw Reggie under the bus for the fact that a player was injured during the season, it's football. Every player is at risk of that. I was excted about Murray, but he too was injured. Maybe this season we finally get to see some of Reggie's players on the field for an extended period. And yet the biggest disappointment for me was the Tyler Wiilson pick - oddly enough, I seem to be upset about a 4th rounder! I can't recall another time in my life where a 4th round pick bothered me.

I'm not ready to leave the Raider Nation, and won't even give it any thought right now (although i was close during some of the late Al Davis years). I just want to see some postive change on the field. I think that starts with finding a leader, and a big one. I think that is missing right now specifcally on the O side of the ball. Woodson seemed to play that role on D last year, hopefully he will return for some consistancy to carry forward.

@NFLDraftBites: Hear Raiders could have 5 Year deal w/ 6th year option on Jared Velhdeer next 2 days prior to FA. 5 Years 50M & 18-25M Guaranteed type deal
Sounding like a deal will be done by Friday.

Its a strange time to be a Raider fan. I think the thing that drives most of us fans crazy is all of the unknowns. When Al Davis was alive we knew in his own unorthodox way he was going to try to build a winner. Now that didn't work out so well the last 10 years of his reign when he lost his edge (to put it mildly, but thats a completely different topic). My point being, I don't trust Reggie yet. I question his draft picks and most of his decisions so far. I just don't see any direction with the team. Are they trying to build through the trenches? Are they wanting to make the defense the strength of the team? More importantly I don't think they have a clue as to who the QB of the future will be anymore than all of you or I. That's the frustrating part for me. Wheres the leadership on and off the field? Who are the Raiders going to be in the post Al Davis era?

All we have is a blank canvas, which will either turn into a masterpiece or a kindergarten art project.
If they come out of this draft with Mallett and Watkins they are suddenly a team to deal with.

@NFLDraftBites: Hear Raiders could have 5 Year deal w/ 6th year option on Jared Velhdeer next 2 days prior to FA. 5 Years 50M & 18-25M Guaranteed type deal
Sounding like a deal will be done by Friday.
this is great news! a little more than I think he's worth, but with free agency about to explode in a few days, this deal has to get done.

Anyone else intruigued by Brandon Browner? I know he has to serve a 4 game suspension which could mean the Raiders could get him on the cheap. But he could be the shutdown corner they need. At the very least he would be a huge upgrade. Also Orakpo coming off the edge would be a great addition they sorely need.

Anyone else intruigued by Brandon Browner? I know he has to serve a 4 game suspension which could mean the Raiders could get him on the cheap. But he could be the shutdown corner they need. At the very least he would be a huge upgrade. Also Orakpo coming off the edge would be a great addition they sorely need.
No, doesn't fit Reggie's profile. He's one more strike from a year long suspension. Would be walking on egg shells. Also, as good as Browner was, his replacements were a tad better. Orakpo I think has already been frachise tagged.

No, doesn't fit Reggie's profile. He's one more strike from a year long suspension. Would be walking on egg shells. Also, as good as Browner was, his replacements were a tad better. Orakpo I think has already been frachise tagged.
Yes, and yes.

Thanks guys. Guess I should have checked on Orakpo's status first. As for Browner, it couldn't hurt to bring him in for a visit. Maybe he's willing to clean his act up.

What free agents do you guys think would be a good fit for the Raiders? With all that cap space they have to be targeting certain players. Who's on your wish list?

Thanks guys. Guess I should have checked on Orakpo's status first. As for Browner, it couldn't hurt to bring him in for a visit. Maybe he's willing to clean his act up.

What free agents do you guys think would be a good fit for the Raiders? With all that cap space they have to be targeting certain players. Who's on your wish list?
I really hope that Reggie goes for at least one of the marquee edge rushers, Johnson, Bennett. And we could use some help at the corners with Verner or Vontae Davis. I'm pretty sure he'll make a mild splash on a free agent QB. But I hope the plan is to address the QB situtation in the draft. We need to throw our money on the defensive upgrades and draft offense if BPA falls to us.

Conjecture, but always fun to hear your team could have a hat in the ring.
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Michael Bennett won't re-sign with the Seahawks before the start of free agency, and plans to test the open market.
Bennett has been tossing bouquets the Seahawks' way all offseason, but has made it clear he won't be re-signing for less than top dollar. There's now a good chance he'll get that somewhere other than Seattle. According to FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo, the Jaguars and Raiders are "lurking" as potential suitors. Bennett is Rotoworld's No. 3 free-agent end.
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m Seattle has made an offer to Michael Bennett, who has left it on the table to seek others. Will see if he returns. Oak, Chicago, others wait

The Oakland Raiders may have just re-signed one of, if not the most important piece to the future of the team. Chris Hansen of The Bleacher Report has said that sources are telling him the Raiders and Veldheer have come to terms on a five year contract.

Source tells me the #Raiders and Jared Veldheer have agreed to 5-year deal with 6th year option. $23 guaranteed. Total value $55M.

— Christopher Hansen (@ChrisHansenNFL) March 7, 2014
Let me reiterate that the deal hasn’t been signed yet. Could be final wrinkles to iron out.

I believe the total value includes the 6th year for Veldheer.

This is HUGE news for the Raiders and shows that general manager Reggie McKenzie is still staying true to his word to keep home grown talent in Oakland if at all possible. The Raiders certainly waited until the last minute to get Veldheer under contract, but if the numbers are correct, Veldheer and the Raiders both look to have come out ok. Veldheer gets a good deal and the Raiders lock up one of the most important positions in football for five and maybe six years.

UPDATE:

Per Scott Bair of CSN Bay Area, the deal may take some time to be finalized and Veldheer may take his time and wait until Monday before signing it.

Source indicated that Veldheer will take time, possibly through weekend, before making final decision. #Raiders

— Scott Bair (@BairCSN) March 7, 2014

Looks like Jared Veldheer signing is almost a done deal.

The Oakland Raiders may have just re-signed one of, if not the most important piece to the future of the team. Chris Hansen of The Bleacher Report has said that sources are telling him the Raiders and Veldheer have come to terms on a five year contract.

I believe the total value includes the 6th year for Veldheer.

— Christopher Hansen (@ChrisHansenNFL)
https://twitter.com/ChrisHansenNFL/statuses/441760482072875009March 7, 2014
https://twitter.com/ChrisHansenNFL/statuses/441760482072875009

Let me reiterate that the deal hasn’t been signed yet. Could be final wrinkles to iron out.

https://twitter.com/ChrisHansenNFL/statuses/441759160011468800March 7, 2014
https://twitter.com/ChrisHansenNFL/statuses/441759160011468800

Source tells me the
https://twitter.com/search?q=#Raiders&src=hash#Raiders
https://twitter.com/search?q=#Raiders&src=hashand Jared Veldheer have agreed to 5-year deal with 6th year option. $23 guaranteed. Total value $55M.

https://twitter.com/ChrisHansenNFL/statuses/441758017881513985March 7, 2014
https://twitter.com/ChrisHansenNFL/statuses/441758017881513985
This is HUGE news for the Raiders and shows that general manager Reggie McKenzie is still staying true to his word to keep home grown talent in Oakland if at all possible. The Raiders certainly waited until the last minute to get Veldheer under contract, but if the numbers are correct, Veldheer and the Raiders both look to have come out ok. Veldheer gets a good deal and the Raiders lock up one of the most important positions in football for five and maybe six years.

UPDATE:

Per Scott Bair of CSN Bay Area, the deal may take some time to be finalized and Veldheer may take his time and wait until Monday before signing it.

Source indicated that Veldheer will take time, possibly through weekend, before making final decision.
https://twitter.com/search?q=#Raiders&src=hash#Raiders
https://twitter.com/search?q=#Raiders&src=hash

— Scott Bair (@BairCSN)
https://twitter.com/BairCSN/statuses/441767884469964801March 7, 2014
https://twitter.com/BairCSN/statuses/441767884469964801
Looks like Jared Veldheer signing is almost a done deal.
Why would he wait? Seems like the contract/offer is more than fair for his services. Sign the contract and allow the team to focus on the next player acquisition.

The desire to play for a winner would be one explanation. If he could get similar money playing for someone like the Ravens I could understand why he would take that deal over the Raiders offer. Which brings us back to not tagging him with the transition tag...

The desire to play for a winner would be one explanation. If he could get similar money playing for someone like the Ravens I could understand why he would take that deal over the Raiders offer. Which brings us back to not tagging him with the transition tag...
Ah....there it is...

It all comes full circle. Reggie had two months to negotiate with Veldheer and now at the 11th hour his offer is getting shopped. That's on Reggie. If the tag was used, JV is already signing that alleged deal. Now he can shop the market and smell other pastures to see if he likes it better. He warned Reggie about this a month or so ago. Said he really wanted to stay in Oakland but didn't feel management was being proactive. Houston just sounds like he wants out regardless. We have to wait and see and hope the JV contract gets signed soon and they hash out the details. But I'm not at all optimistic regarding Houston. And meanwhile the Reggie apologists will claim the tag wasn't necessary because JV or LH weren't worth it. Well, they might just get a dose of some bad tasting medicine soon. Reggie could have avoided all this drama with a simple tag.

Ah....there it is...

It all comes full circle. Reggie had two months to negotiate with Veldheer and now at the 11th hour his offer is getting shopped. That's on Reggie. If the tag was used, JV is already signing that alleged deal. Now he can shop the market and smell other pastures to see if he likes it better. He warned Reggie about this a month or so ago. Said he really wanted to stay in Oakland but didn't feel management was being proactive. Houston just sounds like he wants out regardless. We have to wait and see and hope the JV contract gets signed soon and they hash out the details. But I'm not at all optimistic regarding Houston. And meanwhile the Reggie apologists will claim the tag wasn't necessary because JV or LH weren't worth it. Well, they might just get a dose of some bad tasting medicine soon. Reggie could have avoided all this drama with a simple tag.
Can you provide a Iink to 'all this drama'?

Rotoworld:

Both NFL.com and the San Francisco Chronicle report there's "nothing imminent" between the Raiders and free agent LT Jared Veldheer.

A Twitter report suggested the sides were on the verge of agreeing to a five-year, $55 million deal, but that's not the case. According to reporter Ian Rapoport, Veldheer is "going to take his decision into the weekend, weigh his options and the market." It remains baffling that the Raiders decided not to place the franchise tag on either Veldheer or DE Lamarr Houston.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 6 - 9:41 PM

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Ah....there it is...

Can you provide a Iink to 'all this drama'?
The fact that Veldheer is not signed is not enough?

When a potential free agent re-signs with the team, it happens last minute. That's when it happens. There isn't a rush on either side to get it done. If a guy is a potential franchise tag free agent, and he re-signs before free agency, it happens in the 11th hour.

If we get Veldheer done, and his deal is what these numbers are saying, we are locking him up long term, for much less 2014 dollars than 11 mill. That's a good deal. If we don't? Well, we have to see how free agency and the draft plays out. Houston for 13 mill? No way, man. Come on. The Raiders not franchising, or transitioning, Houston was the smart move. Doesn't matter if you have 90 mill in cap room, Houston isn't a top 10 DE in this league. To put this in perspective, Demarcus Ware is about to get cut from the Cowboys because they don't want to pay him 12 mill this year. Shoot, we could probably get Ware for 3 years, averaging 2 mill less than what Houston's franchise tag would be.

I think the Raiders are willing to pay Houston what he is worth, and I think they are willing to let Houston find out what that is. I think they know what Houston is: a LE that can push the pocket, grab 5-6 sacks, and hustle. Those guys are worth 5-6 mill per year. Not 13. I think the Raiders also realize Houston is a 4-3 guy, not a 3-4 guy, cutting down his free agent options considerably. So, how many teams have holes at 4-3 LE, and have money to spend, and could possibly outbid Oakland? Here's a link to 2014 cap numbers: http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/ Check that list. Find a 4-3 team that needs a LE. Look at their space compared to ours. This is all a guess on my part, of course. Houston may be dying to leave, and Oakland may be going after Bennett for all I know. But it's what makes sense to me, and what I am hoping, Houston is one of my favorite current Raiders.

This is the put up or shut up year. No doubt. There's going to be 20-30 new Raiders within 40-60 days here, and we could probably use 40 new Raiders.

Because we need SO many bodies, I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't as active in the initial free agent flurry. All those guys that sign big deals the first few days, almost ALL of them are overpaid, and have a team that regrets the deal within a year. That second wave of free agents, those guys tend to be bargains. I'd really love to see teams blasting out checks for Eric Decker and Ben Tate and Alex Mack, and the Raiders filling up the shopping cart with bargain free agents.

Looking over the free agents (http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/45947/309/2014-nfl-free-agents?pg=1) the kind of guys I am talking about:

Ahmad Bradshaw (will cost nothing)

Kenny Britt (doubtful, I know, with his checkered past. But will with risk be worth it, if he is on an incentive-laden deal?)

Jermichael Finley

Brandon Pettigrew

Dustin Keller--(We need a TE, or two)

Offensive Guard--Yeah, we need one, badly.

Everson Griffin

Justin Tuck

Corey Wootton

Anthony Spencer---There's a lot of guys available. Re-signing Houston and

going after Ware?

1. Henry Melton
2. Linval Joseph
3. B.J. Raji
4. Jason Hatcher
5. Randy Starks
6. Paul Soliai
7. Clinton McDonald
8. Jonathan Babineaux
9. Kevin Williams
10. Alex Carrington
11. Pat Sims
12. Earl Mitchell
13. Vance Walker

14. Tony McDaniel
16. Ziggy Hood
17. Ryan Pickett
19. Fred Evans
21. Mike Patterson
22. Terrence Cody

Give me two of any of these guys, please.

Jon Beason

Perry Riley

Cortland Finnegan?

If Veldheer was franchised I think he would have already signed the long term deal that is reportedly being offered. Now there is a chance he walks. I do think there are a lot of good defensive linemen the Raiders could potentially sign. As far as Finnegan I think he is done. I would rather bring back Porter.

Also, now is not the time to go dumpster diving at the end of free agency. This team needs good players. The guys left at the end of free agency are usually guys you can bring in to complement a roster that is already good. I am not saying go out and go nuts overpaying guys, but what good is cap room if you do not use it to keep the good players you already have or bring in new ones that are highly regarded?

Also, now is not the time to go dumpster diving at the end of free agency. This team needs good players. The guys left at the end of free agency are usually guys you can bring in to complement a roster that is already good. I am not saying go out and go nuts overpaying guys, but what good is cap room if you do not use it to keep the good players you already have or bring in new ones that are highly regarded?
I agree with you about the need to stop dumpster diving. There was a time and day for that back when we were carrying all the dead money contracts. But now we sit on the most cap reserves in the league. Free agency, especially day one is going to be chock full of bloated contracts to guys who may not deserve them or ever live up to them. But we are in build mode now and the deconstruction is over, unless Veldheer and Houston are stray leftover remnants of it. This is a 4-12 team with arguably the worst top to bottom talent in the NFL. It's been stripped to its core in anticipation of the day it could be rebuilt. Now's not the time to be meek about how we go about doing that, or living in the nightmares of the ghost of Al Davis. We really need to be bold and sign a headline grabbing free agent or two to jump start the process of the rebuild. This is a team that will be given no excuses for not competing at the end of the year. If we keep waiting till the 3rd tier of free agency, the end of the McKenzie regime is inevitable.

:lmao: Bradshaw. Britt. Pettigrew. Keller.

Some of you poor saps have some low standards. Most cap room by far. No stars to speak of. Ha let's wait til all the good players are gone and get the scraps that awesome teams sign cheap as role players. If you have to overpay for a couple of studs, now's the time to do it. Or wait for the scraps and enjoy picking in the top 10 every year.

Dumpster diving is what we did last year. We couldn't even afford to pick up 2nd tier free agents.

Those players are not garbage. Michael Bennett was a 2nd tier free agent. Cliff Avril, John Abraham, Glenn Dorsey, Cullen Jenkins.

The Big Deals last year??

Paul Kruger: 5 yr, 41 mill

SJax: 3 yr, 12 mill.

Reggie Bush: 4 yr, 16 mill

Mike Wallace: 5 yr, 60 mill

Greg Jennings: 5 yr, 45 mill

Danny Amendola: 5 yr, 27.5 mill

Jared Cook: 5 yr, 35 mill

Ryan Clady: 5 yr, 52.5mill

Jake Long: 4 yr, 34 mill

Andy Levitre: 6 yr, 46.8 mill

Desmond Bryant: 5 yr, 34 mill (Holy Crap)

Connor Barwin: 6 yr, 36 mill.

Phillip Wheeler: 5 yr, 26 mill

Daniel Ellerbe: 5 yr, 35 mill

Chris Houston: 5 yr, 25 mill

Derek Cox: 5 yr, 20 mill

Dashon Goldson, 5 yr, 41 mill

William Moore, 5 yr, 29 mill

Glover Quin: 5 yr, 23.5 mill

And on and on. Those were the big splashes. Lot of WTF contracts there, and a lot of regret already among some fan bases. Don't learn from history? Doomed to repeat it. The fact is, you can cherry pick three of the top contracts, and get 10 better players for less than the total value of those contracts.

We need good players. Not statements that the Raiders are big spenders. That we are making a move. We need to acquire good players for contracts that allow us to acquire MORE good players.

Some of you poor saps have some low standards. Most cap room by far. No stars to speak of. Ha let's wait til all the good players are gone and get the scraps that awesome teams sign cheap as role players. If you have to overpay for a couple of studs, now's the time to do it. Or wait for the scraps and enjoy picking in the top 10 every year.
I hate to say it, but you are dead right. And until we recognize the need to overspend on a few key free agents, the draft is not going to be enough to get this franchise out of picking top 10 year after year. Ideally, you build around your draft. But this is a team that's flat lined on talent. A couple of key marquee free agents could revive some life and get it back to competitive at least. If we keep waiting on value free agents, other teams fans have every right to come into our Raider boards and :lmao: at us.

Some of these guys are vet minimum guys. Some are better than that. I posted a list of the "good" players from last year. I didn't say wait till the good players are gone, I said I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders let the Michael Johnsons and the Eric Deckers sign elsewhere, and be aggressive in the 2nd wave. Where frankly, the value is.

See, what I don't want to do is wind up like a team like the Browns. Throwing money at people like Kruger and Bryant.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Some people have short memories.

We need good players. Not statements that the Raiders are big spenders. That we are making a move. We need to acquire good players for contracts that allow us to acquire MORE good players.
You have to ask the question though. Why would a free agent choose Oakland? Give me the sales schpiel, I'm interested. Is it the HOF level veteran coaches on long term contracts? Is it the stellar assistants? Is it the modern facilities and stadium? Is it the long time commitment to being playoff contenders? Why would anyone want to come to the Oakland ####hole? (Sorry if I offend anyone from Oakland.) The only good reason I can think of is to overpay.

Once we establish the team as on an upward track, then maybe we get the better free agents at market value. But till then, we have to be willing to pay a premium just to get them consider us.

You have to ask the question though. Why would a free agent choose Oakland? Give me the sales schpiel, I'm interested. Is it the HOF level veteran coaches on long term contracts? Is it the stellar assistants? Is it the modern facilities and stadium? Is it the long time commitment to being playoff contenders? Why would anyone want to come to the Oakland ####hole? (Sorry if I offend anyone from Oakland.) The only good reason I can think of is to overpay.

Once we establish the team as on an upward track, then maybe we get the better free agents at market value. But till then, we have to be willing to pay a premium just to get them consider us.
There are very few free agents that take less money to go to a certain city.

Any free agent Oakland signs is going to get their best offer from Oakland. That is true in Minnesota, St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, and on and on. Players want money, playing time, and wins. Most of the time, in that order.

I am simply saying that the 2nd tier of free agency offers value, and quantity. Which frankly, is what we need. The team needs a RT, maybe a LT, at least on OG, at least one TE, at least one RB, a QB, two DE, at least one DT, at least one OLB, a MLB of the future, at least one CB, and a FS of the future.

For real, look at that list of big deals up above. How many of those look good to you?

I hate to say it, but you are dead right. And until we recognize the need to overspend on a few key free agents, the draft is not going to be enough to get this franchise out of picking top 10 year after year. Ideally, you build around your draft. But this is a team that's flat lined on talent. A couple of key marquee free agents could revive some life and get it back to competitive at least. If we keep waiting on value free agents, other teams fans have every right to come into our Raider boards and :lmao: at us.
The frustrating part is that this year's crop of free agents save a couple OTs and DL seem pretty weak and riddled with question marks. There are no saviors out there. What do they do? Bring in Vick and Hakeem Nicks for a year or two and pray they stay healthy and provide some leadership and an offensive threat the team sorely needs and groom Bridgewater/Manziel/Bortles? There isn't much out there to get excited about.

Massraider,

With the kind of money we have to spend under the cap, and the projected cap increases over the next few years, all I'm saying is we could take a couple of the following names on the list, specifically I went defense because this looks like a deep free agent class defensively and a weakish class offensively.

Give me any two of the following: Aqib Talib, Alterraun Verner, Vontae Davis, Sam Shields, Michael Johnson, Michael Bennett. I don't think breaking the bank for two of them would mean we're out of the second wave of free agents. Of the list you had up in an earlier post, I like Melton coming off injury and Soliai the best. We have $64 million, we should be able to make a day one splash this year. And not just to make a splash, but to build a core for the incoming draft class to work with. It's going to take more than a slew of 2nd tier free agents to save Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen's jobs.

The frustrating part is that this year's crop of free agents save a couple OTs and DL seem pretty weak and riddled with question marks. There are no saviors out there. What do they do? Bring in Vick and Hakeem Nicks for a year or two and pray they stay healthy and provide some leadership and an offensive threat the team sorely needs and groom Bridgewater/Manziel/Bortles? There isn't much out there to get excited about.
No to Vick and no to Nicks. Both of them are past their prime physically, and Nicks just doesn't have any explosiveness any more. And forget about them leading this team anywhere. We really have no choice but to draft a franchise QB, sign a "bridge" vet QB and hope the rookie can surprise in training camp and overtake him. From there, if Reggie gets a few key defensive free agency gems, this team can be competitive very quickly. But you are right. It won't be easy and it's probably not very likely. Expecting a turnaround with Vicks and Nicks is like hanging onto a lead filled lifesaver.

No to Vick and no to Nicks. Both of them are past their prime physically, and Nicks just doesn't have any explosiveness any more. And forget about them leading this team anywhere. We really have no choice but to draft a franchise QB, sign a "bridge" vet QB and hope the rookie can surprise in training camp and overtake him. From there, if Reggie gets a few key defensive free agency gems, this team can be competitive very quickly. But you are right. It won't be easy and it's probably not very likely. Expecting a turnaround with Vicks and Nicks is like hanging onto a lead filled lifesaver.
I agree. I was just throwing a senario out there to make a point. Offensively speaking, there are no elite skill players available. What else is there to do but build through the draft, try to find a franchise QB (there are no Lucks and RGIIIs to draft or Rodgers and Brees' to throw a bunch of money at), lock up Veldheer and hopefully Houston and sign some of the stronger FAs on defense like Bennett, Melton, Johnson, Verner and Talib and hope they gel and be competitive. All easier said than done....

massraider said:
RBM said:

Some of these guys are vet minimum guys. Some are better than that. I posted a list of the "good" players from last year. I didn't say wait till the good players are gone, I said I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders let the Michael Johnsons and the Eric Deckers sign elsewhere, and be aggressive in the 2nd wave. Where frankly, the value is.

See, what I don't want to do is wind up like a team like the Browns. Throwing money at people like Kruger and Bryant.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Some people have short memories.
:goodposting:

Raiderfan32904 said:
massraider said:

great post. I would also add the the taxes in Cali are much higher than elsewhere.

I am not advocating the Raiders to over spend on FA signings. But I expect at least a couple of signings that make a splash, particularly along both lines or DBs.

I agree that Houston wasn't worth the franchise tag, but Reggie could have used the transition tag. It would have covered him as a backup plan if he can't sign some of the other FAs. Now there is a possibility the Raiders get shut out and take a step backwards at the DLine position.

Veldheer should have been franchised, but hopefully he accepts the deal on the table and it becomes a non-issue.

Rotoworld:

Scout Inc.'s Todd McShay believes the Raiders would like to trade back in the first round.
McShay thinks Oakland would snap up UFC's Blake Bortles or Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater if either fell to No. 5. If neither does, they'll begin to work the phones in an effort to plug multiple roster holes, according to the analyst, who mentions WR Mike Evans, CB Justin Gilbert or OT Zack Martin as possible targets if they're able to consummate a swap. "If the Raiders are stuck here, I think they'll take the best player available, and in this scenario that would be either Greg Robinson or Watkins," McShay wrote. "I'll go with Watkins, who would bring big-play ability and an elite skill set at the receiver position."

Source: ESPN Insider

Thoughts on the Raiders taking Watson @ 5?

I feel we have bigger needs but if Watson's game translates to the NFL then he would solve a big need for an offensive playmaker.

Users who are viewing this thread