What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Oakland Raiders Thread (1 Viewer)

Never heard anything about his coaching, we shall see.

The only thing I do know is coaches tend to bring in FA they know, so I am wondering if any of these new hires can earn their keep by bringing in some FAs.
If this is the case, he may have contact with some strong candidates (haven't compared this list to the current FA list - or what any of their contract status is) from his days at USC..

Stolen from the article on raiders.com:

Prior to joining the NFL coaching ranks, Norton, Jr. spent six seasons coaching on the defensive side of the ball at USC. He joined USC in 2004 as the school’s defensive assistant/linebackers, before being promoted to the linebackers coach from 2005-08. He was elevated to assistant head coach of the defense/linebackers in 2009.

During his career at USC, Norton, Jr. tutored an impressive group of linebackers who have gone on to have success at the NFL level. Among those players are: Houston Texans LB Brian Cushing, Green Bay Packers LB Clay Matthews, Buffalo Bills LB Keith Rivers, Cincinnati Bengals LB Rey Maualuga and former Seahawks LB Lofa Tatupu. Cushing, Matthews and Rivers were all NFL first-round draft picks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/charles-woodson-wants-ndamukong-suh-in-oakland/

Hopefully Woodson and Tuck are good recruiters, and there's a Bleacher Report piece out there that Suh is on our radar, but right now it seems like a lot of smoke without much fire.

I still place the likeliehood at about 10% that Suh winds up here, he's going to have a LOT of attractive offers. Of course Suh would be great, but I don't think it makes or breaks the offseason. We need to add as many free agents as we can.

Blitzing in today's NFL is overrated. Good QB's check the defense on pre snap reads and get the ball out in a hurry to the hot read. I'm hoping Ken Norton Jr. brings his 4 man natural pressure like the Hawks were using. They didn't have a lot of girth up front but lots of speed to swallow the edge, and great QB pressure from all angles. I think KNJ is just what the Raiders need. Tough, disciplined, hard nosed, fiery, not afraid to get into player's faces. And while he lacks coordinator experience, he's in a great spot to learn the tricks of the trade under JDR, who isn't going to let him bite off more than he can chew. Expect Del Rio's defense to be stellar at stopping the run, but it may take awhile to get the secondary all sorted out.

Love the hire of KNJ. I'm pumped for the season already!

Mike Tice was a real good OL coach a million years ago. That might be the most significant hire

Ken Norton jr is a great hire. Did some great work developing LB talent in Seattle. Sad to see him go.

Mike Tice was a real good OL coach a million years ago. That might be the most significant hire
Sparano was a good OL coach too, the Raiders O-line was surprisingly solid last season. Seems like a push at best.

Sparano was a good OL coach too, the Raiders O-line was surprisingly solid last season. Seems like a push at best.
Your glass is always half-empty, isn't it.
Is it? I think I have been one of the most positive, and vocal, supporters of what McKenzie has done with the roster. The coaching staff otoh...well I'm just calling it like I see it which had been retread city until the Norton hire.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-s-film-review--analyzing-last-year-s-rookie-quarterbacks-180424935.html

Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders

Of all these 2014 rookie quarterbacks we’re talking about, I think Carr has the best combination of arm strength, pocket play and movement. He has a really good arm. There are times he snaps it off like Aaron Rodgers in the pocket.

Here’s a good example of high-level quarterbacking, and from a rookie. It came against San Francisco late in the season. His initial read was to the three-receiver side but the 49ers took that way with “Cover 3 lurk” with the safety Eric Reid as the lurk defender. Carr came back to the boundary lock side with Perrish Cox in man-to-man on Andre Holmes for 16 yards. It was a great read with full command of the pocket, and most importantly his feet followed his eyes so he threw on balance with good lower-body mechanics, which you can really see from the end-zone angle.

Like the others, he has a lot to work on too. Most notably, to take the next step I think he’ll have to see things a little more clearly at the intermediate level and turn it loose on those throws. I don’t think he saw things well at that level (and that’s OK for a rookie quarterback) and often got rid of the ball short. That’s something that can improve with experience, and we’ll see how that progresses in a new offense this season.

Carr’s tendency to get rid of the ball short isn’t a bad thing. The Raiders’ sack numbers were way down. He didn’t stand there and hold the ball with a deer-in-the-headlights look. That tells me his processing was functioning. He didn’t always throw to the right guy, but he didn’t get stuck in the pocket. He struggled at times with lower body mechanics, but he had the instincts and feel of a pocket quarterback. And he showed progress with his lower body mechanics as the season went on.

Carr played well as a rookie, and as long as he progresses as he should in seeing things at the intermediate level, there’s a lot to like with him going forward.

This is what I saw last season as well. Carr has been portrayed as a player willing to put in the work to be great. Most of his short comings can be overcome with practice and hard work. Someone mentioned his low YPA number in the past, which I think will improve with better weapons. Protection and staying injury free are the keys to Carr's future success.

Victor Cotto@cottovic 9h9 hours ago
Clive Walford is a guy that last few weeks, McKenzie & scouts have raved about. #Raiders regional scouts submitted high reports on him to RM

No idea how good this guy's info is, but that 2nd round pick seems like a good spot for a LB or a TE.
Walford played just one season of high school football at perennial power Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Central, and he redshirted as a true freshman at Miami in 2010. He became a three-year starter for the Hurricanes and was a part-time starter in the other season.

He had 44 receptions for a team-high 676 yards this season and was second on the team with seven TD receptions. He had 14 TD receptions and averaged 14.5 yards per catch over his career.

Walford has some work to do as a blocker, but teams will draft him to be a receiving threat. He can get down the seam and be a deep threat. He also is a solid athlete.

I think they have bigger needs than TE. Besides Rivera made some nice progress this year. WR, DLine and CB are much greater needs. After that MLB, RB and depth on the Oline. Then TE. Don't misunderstand, I endorse the rumor of the Raiders signing JThomas in free agency, but not using a high draft choice on a TE.

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) — Oakland coach Jack Del Rio confirmed that the Raiders plan to incorporate the no-huddle offense into their system next season.

Just how much the Raiders will employ the hurry-up schemes will likely vary from week to week depending on the opponent. But Del Rio, a former NFL linebacker whose background is on defense, said that it will be a consistent part of the offense.

Speaking at an informal lunch with reporters on Thursday, Del Rio outlined some of the plans he has for the team in 2015. He also spoke about his relationship with offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, whom he fired when both men were coaching in Jacksonville.

Del Rio's comments on Oakland using the no-huddle come on the heels of reports quoting quarterback Derek Carr saying the Raiders would have it as a significant part of their offense.

"We will have that ability to attack people in that manner," Del Rio said. "Bill Musgrave has a wealth of knowledge. We're going to, as a staff, sit down and determine what the Raider way is going forward. But I do know that that is an element that he brings to the table."

Musgrave was the quarterbacks coach in Philadelphia last season and said last month he intends to bring some of the elements of the Eagles' high-octane offense to Oakland.

The Raiders finished the 2014 season last in the league in total offense and rushing. They were also 31st in scoring at 15.8 points a game.

Using the no-huddle, Del Rio said, will enable the Raiders to be more diverse on offense.

"That's something that we will want to be able to do when we decide we want to do it," Del Rio said. "We want to be able to go at different speeds. If we want to go fast, we'll go fast. If we want to play at a no-huddle but methodical pace, we can do that. If we want to huddle and really milk it, we'll know how to do that."

Del Rio has spent the past month getting acclimated to his new job. He recently filled the final vacancies on his coaching staff and has been reviewing Oakland's roster while prepping for the NFL scouting combine next week.

If they are going a lot of no huddle they better bring in some offensive talent. Otherwise the defense will be on the field more than they should. Never good. (Insert Pete Carroll joke here). How about Julius Thomas and Larry Fitzgerald? Another thought, wouldn't it be ironic if Maclin ended up in Oakland... after they passed on him and took DHB instead? The real splash signing would be Dem Thomas. Ya, I know, a pipe dream... Still should be entertaining.

32 Counter Pass said:
If they are going a lot of no huddle they better bring in some offensive talent. Otherwise the defense will be on the field more than they should. Never good. (Insert Pete Carroll joke here). How about Julius Thomas and Larry Fitzgerald? Another thought, wouldn't it be ironic if Maclin ended up in Oakland... after they passed on him and took DHB instead? The real splash signing would be Dem Thomas. Ya, I know, a pipe dream... Still should be entertaining.
This is very true. You can put any offense you want in place in Oakland but the lack of talent is going to hold it back.

Thanks for the reminder on the DHB pick. That continues to be embarrassing. That was not Al's worst first round pick but it is up there.

This is a passing league. Carr could be a solid QB but he needs 2 good WRs or a great receiving TE with a great WR. The Raiders have none of that right now. Cooper could be the answer at WR and fits into our draft position well.

WINNERS
1. Latavius Murray, RB, Raiders
The previous Raiders regime wasted Latavius Murray for the first three months of the 2014 season, criminally giving carries to Darren McFadden and Maurice Jones-Drew. New offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave has no plans to commit the same crime.

Upon arriving in Oakland, Musgrave said he’s going to “tailor” the run game so it’s “right up [Murray’s] alley.” This is a play-caller that was part of voluminous years from Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner, Clinton Portis and Fred Taylor in previous stops. Murray will be up to the task, as he’s a 6’3/225 freak with 4.38 wheels. We saw what he’s capable of late last year, rushing 76 times for 413 yards (5.43 YPC) with two touchdowns over the last six games. Murray added 14-124-0 through the air during that span. With the backing of his run-centric offensive coordinator and a defensive-minded/ball control head coach in Jack Del Rio, Latavius’ arrow is pointing straight up.

From Rotoworld:

According to the Denver Post, the Raiders "are expected to pursue" free agent NT Terrance Knighton.
The Post floats five years and $30 million as a potential price tag for Knighton, who is one of the NFL's premier run stuffers. Knighton will be 29 before the 2015 season, however, and consistency has been an issue throughout his career. He is tight with Jack Del Rio, who is the Raiders' new head coach. Knighton is not a fit for new Broncos' DC Wade Phillips' one-gap scheme.

:shock: Really 29 yo? Historically, signing FAs this age hasn't had a high success rate. I don't like it if we shell out big bucks.

How involved was Reggie in Drafting Randall Cobb? And was there enough of a connection that would have him come in for a visit atleast?

Same goes for Tramon Williams being brought in to GB

While landing Suh would be ideal Knighton would be a nice consolation prize. Even if they land either of those guys the Raiders have to be hoping that Leonard Williams falls to them at #4.

How involved was Reggie in Drafting Randall Cobb? And was there enough of a connection that would have him come in for a visit atleast?

Same goes for Tramon Williams being brought in to GB
so we will eventually have all of GB`s WR`s ? i can dig that
Won't make much difference unless they can get Green Bay's QB and Head Coach too.

Kidding, it would be a nice pickup for Oakland.

Maybe it's just me but, while I like Cobb I don't see him as true #1 WR who gives defensive coordinators fits, although that could be a product of the scheme in GB. I am not sure if Cooper is that kind of WR either or if there is a guy in the draft at all who could be that but that is what the Raiders really need at the position, a Calvin, Dez, DT, Jordy type who puts the fear of God into defenses. But who knows maybe Cobb could be an Antonio Brown in the right situation.

Howard experiment at guard might be over. Takes over at RT, and pushing Menelik to who knows where on the depth chart. Looking more and more like a bust pick.

Even if they land either of those guys the Raiders have to be hoping that Leonard Williams falls to them at #4.
As of here and now in February, the best scenario for us, I think, is Williams or Mariota being there. Either get the best player in the draft, or a trade down possibility.

massraider said:
Chaka said:
Even if they land either of those guys the Raiders have to be hoping that Leonard Williams falls to them at #4.
As of here and now in February, the best scenario for us, I think, is Williams or Mariota being there. Either get the best player in the draft, or a trade down possibility.
Would love to get both of Clevelands first rounders for them to move up to take Mariota.

massraider said:
Chaka said:
Would love to get both of Clevelands first rounders for them to move up to take Mariota.
It is difficult to imagine Tampa Bay and Tennessee not going with Winston & Mariota but there are a surprising number of teams who may be interested in going after one of those QBs. Cleveland and Philly are the most obvious options but the Jets are very unsettled at the position and have a new coaching staff. I don't see Washington or Chicago actually pulling the trigger but I haven't seen anything more than a boiler plate endorsement for either RGIII or Cutler. The Rams say they are sticking with Bradford but I can't imagine they aren't at least open to the possibility of moving on from him. The Texans and Bills also have question marks at QB and both can offer a higher first round pick than Philly (although Philly can offer Foles as part of any package, which is a nice consolation prize).

Jax is a bit of a wild card, but they gave up a ridiculous 71 sacks last season (13 more than the next team) but managed a very respectable 45 sacks by their defense, so Williams would be a bit of a luxury. They invested pretty heavily in WRs last year with Robinson & Lee and may have found a gem in undrafted Hurns plus isn't Blackmon eligible to reapply for reinstatement before training camp starts? So Cooper likely isn't high on their needs list. Their most glaring need is on the offensive line so it is hard to imagine them not going in that direction.

I think realistically that regardless of what happens in front of them the Raiders are looking at Cooper and/or Williams and while I lean towards Williams pretty strongly it's a good position for them to be in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are Raider fans following the situation with Brandon Marshall in Chicago? He could be a cap casualty.

He will be 31 in March and maybe he doesn't scare people downfield like he used to (not that he was ever a serious burner) but he's a big, savvy target with pretty good hands.

Terrance Knighton: Broncos lack of interest is “somewhat disrespectful”Posted by Josh Alper on February 19, 2015, 6:21 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg4ngvjzwezztbiymzjzwzknwrlyzazndy3nmq1otmz-e1424344896997.jpeg
APDefensive tackle Terrance Knighton’s former defensive coordinator with the Broncos seems to be a bigger fan of his work than the guys currently calling the shots in Denver.

Raiders coach Jack Del Rio said Wednesday that you “have to have” players like Knighton in the trenches, which suggests Oakland will be interested in bidding on the veteran once free agency opens next month. Knighton spoke to Josina Anderson of ESPN on Wednesday and said Denver hasn’t shown the same interest.

Knighton says he’s told the Broncos he’s interested in returning and raised the possibility of taking a hometown discount to remain with the team, but hasn’t felt the love from the hometown team.

“To be quite honest with you, it’s frustrating and it’s somewhat disrespectful just knowing how important I was to the team and what the defense could’ve been without somebody like me,” Knighton said. “It’s almost like, the longer they wait, the worse it is going to be.”

Knighton said that Del Rio is “definitely the first person” he wants to talk to should things not work out in Denver and there will likely be plenty of other people vying to get into the mix to make sure that Knighton feels less frustrated than he seems to feel right now.

massraider said:
Chaka said:
It is difficult to imagine Tampa Bay and Tennessee not going with Winston & Mariota but there are a surprising number of teams who may be interested in going after one of those QBs. Cleveland and Philly are the most obvious options but the Jets are very unsettled at the position and have a new coaching staff. I don't see Washington or Chicago actually pulling the trigger but I haven't seen anything more than a boiler plate endorsement for either RGIII or Cutler. The Rams say they are sticking with Bradford but I can't imagine they aren't at least open to the possibility of moving on from him. The Texans and Bills also have question marks at QB and both can offer a higher first round pick than Philly (although Philly can offer Foles as part of any package, which is a nice consolation prize).

Jax is a bit of a wild card, but they gave up a ridiculous 71 sacks last season (13 more than the next team) but managed a very respectable 45 sacks by their defense, so Williams would be a bit of a luxury. They invested pretty heavily in WRs last year with Robinson & Lee and may have found a gem in undrafted Hurns plus isn't Blackmon eligible to reapply for reinstatement before training camp starts? So Cooper likely isn't high on their needs list. Their most glaring need is on the offensive line so it is hard to imagine them not going in that direction.

I think realistically that regardless of what happens in front of them the Raiders are looking at Cooper and/or Williams and while I lean towards Williams pretty strongly it's a good position for them to be in.
I'd be surprised if the Titans pick Mariota (or Winston). Far more likely iMHO that they trade with another team (Jets?) a bit further down and pick a pass rusher. Or if there are no takers pick Leonard Williams (if he projects to 3-4 DE for them - I've seen people saying yay or nay on that)

I'd be surprised if the Titans pick Mariota (or Winston). Far more likely iMHO that they trade with another team (Jets?) a bit further down and pick a pass rusher. Or if there are no takers pick Leonard Williams (if he projects to 3-4 DE for them - I've seen people saying yay or nay on that)
I don't think anyone knows.

The people that get paid to talk about it brought up Mettenberger, but I certainly haven't head the Titans say he's their guy, not the way the Raiders have about Carr, or the Vikes have about Teddy B.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread