What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Oakland Raiders Thread (2 Viewers)

I'd be surprised if the Titans pick Mariota (or Winston). Far more likely iMHO that they trade with another team (Jets?) a bit further down and pick a pass rusher. Or if there are no takers pick Leonard Williams (if he projects to 3-4 DE for them - I've seen people saying yay or nay on that)
I don't think anyone knows.

The people that get paid to talk about it brought up Mettenberger, but I certainly haven't head the Titans say he's their guy, not the way the Raiders have about Carr, or the Vikes have about Teddy B.
Agreed.

I never thought Mettenberger was the long term solution in Tenn but who knows what they believe in house. Their defense was middle of the road in sacks and pass defense but their run d was 31st in the league. In my opinion that reflects as much on their defensive personnel as their offensive ineptitude. I would not be surprised if they went with Williams but IMO if they are going to pass on the QB it will be to move down.

From the article linked inside the one you posted...

“Julius is here to get his money and get out,” one teammate told me last week. “That’s just how some guys are. He didn’t grow up playing this game and it’s just not in his DNA to put it all out there.” When asked if Julius Thomas was soft like some say, he said, ” where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” According to the teammate, Julius Thomas was healthy enough to play multiple times last season but refused to. In one instance Julius Thomas was heard saying, “I’m about 90% – I’m getting close.”

To most NFL players, 90% is as good as new. Most can’t fathom the idea of sitting out at 90%. We would eventually find out that Peyton Manning, at 38 years old, played with a torn quad. To think that Julius Thomas put himself before the team, angered some players. “You have guys taking shots just to get through the half and this dude can’t even play with a minor sprain” one teammate told me. “You can’t win with guys like that,” he added.

Julius Thomas missed 28 total games in his first four years and a report like this may explain some of the reasoning behind it. 2014 brought more of the same. He sprained his ankle early in the Rams game in week 11 and after sitting out the next three games, never returned to form. In the final eight games of the 2014 season, he registered just 66 total receiving yards.
No way would I sign this guy to a blockbuster deal. If he'll take a Reggie special (i.e. contract with few guarantees and zero cap hit if cut after any season), then I don't mind paying him a decent amount per year, but this situation reeks of a guy looking to get paid and then fold. Hopefully JDR has enough inside info to protect the Raiders here.

I give Mark Davis a ton of credit for thinking and acting outside of the box in ways his father never would. Teaming up with the Chargers. Moving to the NFC. ZERO chance big Al would've even remotely considered such options, even though they are absolutely reasonable calls in this situation IMO. The Raiders (and Chargers) need a new stadium in the worst way. Sharing one is a great option if Oakland can't or won't assist with public funds.

From another article:

Prospects for new venues in San Diego and Oakland are bleak and, as is in L.A., there is no appetite to commit public money to build a stadium. The Carson proposal calls for the teams to be equal, as opposed to one acting as landlord to the other.
Kudos, Mark. This is much better alternative then renting the Niners stadium IMO.

Two questions about this deal if it happens, which I consider to be unlikely at this time:

1) Have the Raiders agreed to move to the NFC if necessary? Seems to me it should be the Chargers as it really seems that every other team in the division loves beating Oakland more than any other team which means them leaving would be a bigger blow to the AFC overall. Send the Chargers to the NFC West and, likely, send the Cardinals to the AFC West.

2) I heard that the Raiders and Chargers have already purchased the land in Carson. Is there verification of that?

Why does the move to LA with the Chargers necessitate the raiders moving to the NFC? I'm sure it's something obvious I've forgotten or I'm missing. TIA

Why does the move to LA with the Chargers necessitate the raiders moving to the NFC? I'm sure it's something obvious I've forgotten or I'm missing. TIA
I really dunno, but I am guessing they really don't want teams having an 'extra' home game every year. That might be all the treason they need.

I'd love the team to stay in Oakland, but thgat comes from a place of nostalgia. Being in LA might be a LOT better for the long term prospects of the team.

I'd be surprised if the Titans pick Mariota (or Winston). Far more likely iMHO that they trade with another team (Jets?) a bit further down and pick a pass rusher. Or if there are no takers pick Leonard Williams (if he projects to 3-4 DE for them - I've seen people saying yay or nay on that)

The people that get paid to talk about it brought up Mettenberger, but I certainly haven't head the Titans say he's their guy, not the way the Raiders have about Carr, or the Vikes have about Teddy B.
Agreed.

I never thought Mettenberger was the long term solution in Tenn but who knows what they believe in house. Their defense was middle of the road in sacks and pass defense but their run d was 31st in the league. In my opinion that reflects as much on their defensive personnel as their offensive ineptitude. I would not be surprised if they went with Williams but IMO if they are going to pass on the QB it will be to move down.
Agree with both of you, but I would be surprised nonetheless. And I really think they should move down

Agreed.

Agree with both of you, but I would be surprised nonetheless. And I really think they should move down
Much easier said than done. Once Williams and the QBs are gone, you could argue that any player you take will have a similarly graded player available 10 picks later.

Amari Cooper? Parker or White.

Randy Gregory? Fowler, Ray, etc.

Now, there is always the possibility that a team falls in love, like the Bills and Watkins last year. Happens every year. As it stands now, I'm praying WIlliams slips to us, or we can move Mariota to the Jets or Cleveland.

If we stay put, and take Cooper like everyone says? That's fine too. Not exciting, but makes a ton of sense.

I really dunno, but I am guessing they really don't want teams having an 'extra' home game every year. That might be all the treason they need.

I'd love the team to stay in Oakland, but thgat comes from a place of nostalgia. Being in LA might be a LOT better for the long term prospects of the team.
I asked the same in another thread, the response seemed to be about TV rights and revenue. Fox would want NFC games in LA, and who would broadcast what games in home market blah blah. I don't know the broadcasting rules, so probably legit questions, but man that seems like blasphemy for either team to consider moving to the NFC.

Hankmoody said:
massraider said:
joey said:

I asked the same in another thread, the response seemed to be about TV rights and revenue. Fox would want NFC games in LA, and who would broadcast what games in home market blah blah. I don't know the broadcasting rules, so probably legit questions, but man that seems like blasphemy for either team to consider moving to the NFC.
Guess that makes sense if two teams move to LA. Thanks. But if somehow all 3 teams. Move to LA, then I guess Oak, SD and STL could all just stay in their current division (except the "home" games for the Raiders vs. SD would be odd)

I understand why one of them would have to move but when looking at historic rivalries, something they always look at when realigning, it seems like the Raiders are the AFC West and the Chargers have kind of always been the division's afterthought. Not saying the Chargers are a historically bad franchise but I don't think Oak, Den or KC consider them their primary division opponent. If you polled the fans, former and current players from KC, Den and SD don't you think they would pretty much overwhelmingly say that the Raiders are their most hated division rival? Maybe there is a change going on over the last decade with the Raiders ineptitude but I still think everyone gets up a little more for the Raiders.

If Mark Davis volunteers to move the Raiders to the NFC that would be a ##### move IMO.

I understand why one of them would have to move but when looking at historic rivalries, something they always look at when realigning, it seems like the Raiders are the AFC West and the Chargers have kind of always been the division's afterthought. Not saying the Chargers are a historically bad franchise but I don't think Oak, Den or KC consider them their primary division opponent. If you polled the fans, former and current players from KC, Den and SD don't you think they would pretty much overwhelmingly say that the Raiders are their most hated division rival? Maybe there is a change going on over the last decade with the Raiders ineptitude but I still think everyone gets up a little more for the Raiders.

If Mark Davis volunteers to move the Raiders to the NFC that would be a ##### move IMO.
How was the SD OAK rivalry before Marty imported it from KC?

How was the SD OAK rivalry before Marty imported it from KC?
Oakland is far and away San Diego's most hated rival and it's been that way for decades. A big part of that is because tons of Raider fans live in the area and always show up to games en masse and there have been several very ugly incidents during the games. The loss of the Raiders in the division would hurt the San Diego fan base far more than the other way around.

@VicTafur Just told that there has been no discussion at all about either #Raiders or #Chargers moving to NFC

Peter King was interviewed on the Herd this morning...he mentioned the idea of switching the Rams and the Chargers to create a division rivalry between the chiefs and rams. This would also make the NFC West a true west coast division with the Chargers, Seahawks, 49ers, and Cardinals.

Suh - not tagged

Justin Houston - tagged

JPP - tagged

Devin McCourty - not tagged

Dez Bryant - tagged

Demaryius Thomas - tagged

Last edited by a moderator:
Suh - not tagged
Yes, please. I'm drooling just thinking of the inside-outside havoc he would cause with Mack. But that contract would be crippling in addressing all of our needs. Nice to dream about though.
They might have enough cap room where it would not be crippling. Guys like Suh almost never become available in their prime. Maybe if you get him it helps lure other guys as well. I will be very disappointed if they do not make a strong play for him.

The Raiders have to at least make a strong play for Suh. If the bidding war gets out of hand, you step away and let someone else overpay. Not sure you can overpay for Suh though. He seems to bring it all of the time. I guess it is more important not to overpay now and for the next few years which could hinder building the rest of the team. This team has many pieces of the puzzle to fill.

Suh - not tagged
Yes, please. I'm drooling just thinking of the inside-outside havoc he would cause with Mack. But that contract would be crippling in addressing all of our needs. Nice to dream about though.
They might have enough cap room where it would not be crippling. Guys like Suh almost never become available in their prime. Maybe if you get him it helps lure other guys as well. I will be very disappointed if they do not make a strong play for him.
Yes.

We can actually give a lot of money over the next three years, more than most teams. We can overpay players like Cobb or Suh up front, and have lower cap numbers down the road. We don't have to worry about re-signing top rookies for two more years.

As to making a push, I truly believe Suh has 32 messages on his phone. Every team in the league will make him an offer, even if it's financially insulting. Maybe the best FA available in a decade. If he gives his agent a list, and we ain't on it, that's that.

Raiders should be making offers with huge cap numbers this year, offering a market deal, but with a higher percentage guaranteed, and up front. Put pressure on other teams to use more cap than they can really afford, because we can.

Just to add to the Suh conversation, I honestly think that if the Raiders sign him it will be a watershed moment very much like when the Packers signed Reggie White. Imagine having a player of that caliber that could push the pocket against two statuesque QBs in Payton and Rivers. Dreaming of better days...

Hoping for Knighton/Cobb.

I really think if Suh was considering Oakland, we would have heard it. If there was serious interest, his people would be happy to leak it.

Unfortunately for Oakland (and Jax) I think many agents will use them to drive up the price of their FAs before signing with other teams.

Maybe, but like mass alluded to up in post 281, we have more cap space room projected out into the next 3 years than anyone save for Jax maybe.

So why is that important?

Other teams can offer a 6 year $100 million contract, but their caps are unsettled into the 2016 and 2017 seasons. They will need to cut or restructure players to accomodate Suh. Whereas in Oakland (or Jacksonville) he could walk onto the roster without poisoning it into outyear caps. Raiders (or JAX) can build with Suh without having to tear anything down.

And then there is the stadium issue of the Raiders maybe moving to LA. That can only help land Suh if anything. Landing Cobb and drafting Cooper would be a huge one year swing under new HC Del Rio.

I'm probably dreaming, but don't wake me from my dream. It's only a few days a year a Raider fan can dream big dreams!

massraider said:
Hoping for Knighton/Cobb.

I really think if Suh was considering Oakland, we would have heard it. If there was serious interest, his people would be happy to leak it.
I don't agree. Smart teams (which might not apply to the Raiders) do not show their true intentions at this time. As Bill Polian said yesterday on Sirius, we know nothing right now.As for Knighton, I think Suh is twice the player and my worry that Knighton will be the dreaded 30 yo free agent---much higher bust rate than a younger player like Suh.

All said, I think Knighton will ultimately end up in Oakland given his connection with JDR.

If Reggie lands Suh and Cobb I'll do cartwheels. One but not the other and I'll have me a beer and crack a small smile. Neither and I'm back to leading the pitchfork committee.

Users who are viewing this thread