What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 PDSL1 Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

BassNBrew said:
Jeff Pasquino said:
BassNBrew said:
Thoughts on Brees at 3.11?

I had planned on going RB at that pick and may end up regretting it. Brees usually goes in the 2nd round in these. Not sure the loss of Graham drops him that much. Dude still put up close to 5000 yards last year and over 30 TDs. Was tempted to take Manning but don't see that much more upside over Brees for the downside risk.

By going Brees I don't have to worry about the QB run as much and can risk waiting on sleeper QBs.
FWIW:

Coach Sean Payton said the Saints are trying to "reduce the amount of points you may need to score to win a game."

The Saints are trying to shift their identity from a fastbreak, pass-happy, offensive juggernaut to more of a ball-control team. It's a massive schematic shift, but one that was probably necessary with Drew Brees showing signs of decline at age 36 and zero trips to the NFC title game since winning the Super Bowl in 2009. Expect the 2015 version of the Saints to lean heavily on power back Mark Ingram while placing an emphasis on major defensive improvement. Brees, who has lost Jimmy Graham and Kenny Stills this offseason, can't be counted on for the 650 attempts we're accustomed to. Mar 24 - 8:38 AM

Source: ESPN.com
Dang…should have gone Manning.
really want to comment here but will wait

BassNBrew said:
How do you guys rank these RBs in this format

Hyde / Forsett / Gurley / Bernard / Ellington / Gordon / Bell

Here's how I had them

Forsett - Complete back. Low milage, likely to come close to last year's numbers

Bell - Bought into the FBG Bell/Bush hype last year and played dearly. Don't understand why his numbers aren't better. Will get points consistently. Catches the NFC west. (note - although I had him higher than Gurley, I swung for the fences).

Gurley - Maybe the highest ceiling but may be limited early. With more teams around may be able to survive early until he comes on.

Bernard - Also catches the NFC west. I think he will be highly variable week to week which scares me in survivor.

Hyde/Ellington - Unless you're a beast, I'm not taking a guy who will be likely playing two NFC west opponents during our 2 week final. Like Ellington better in this ppr format but that's offset by the chance of Arizona bringing in another back.

Gordon - Maybe short sighted on my part but I'm thinking Ball or Dayne part three.
I am not big on any except the rookie RB's. Why I went Forte early as beyond the top 7 guys or so, it gets ugly IMO. Knew you could get a not bad WR later. Even late 2nd RB looks bleak. Any of the other guys except Bernard could be replaced with a rookie pick. But Gio has Hill. Not big on that situation. Someone is going to lose here. Probably not Hyde because they have Bush and Hunter back who is a jack of all trades but I am not big on RB's with running QB's and quality guys to cut into carries. And who knows how he handles the load. Montee Ball anyone at this time last year.

Forsett, Ellington especially and Bell could all have rookie 'RB's taken with Gurley or Gordon in the equation for each team. I almost bet one of them will have one of these rookies drafted.

Frank Gore at 4.14 may be the steal of the draft...

Did you guys not see him since his ADP was crap, or am I missing something?

Le'Veon Bell

Gore

K Benjamin

Olsen

Le'Veon Bell

Gore

K Benjamin

Olsen
He's going to be 32 this May. The analytics are against him. Emmitt, Walter, LT all took sharp downturns at this age. Maybe he's the exception but I'm not going to chase after exceptions. The Colts should runaway with their division, they should be thinking about keeping tread on Gore's tires for the playoffs.

24th RB off the board?

In PPR...

And yes, he'll be 32.. I get that. Prolific offense tho, with little competition for carries... and to be honest, his career number of carries is low for a 3 down back. even just look at the last 5yrs.

We'll see. I'm just saying I didnt expect a back of that quality and opportunity at this pick

Le'Veon Bell

Gore

K Benjamin

Olsen
He's going to be 32 this May. The analytics are against him. Emmitt, Walter, LT all took sharp downturns at this age. Maybe he's the exception but I'm not going to chase after exceptions. The Colts should runaway with their division, they should be thinking about keeping tread on Gore's tires for the playoffs.
Even though there has been little to no buzz about Indy drafting a back since they signed Gore, you'd have to think that as deep as this draft is expected to be at RB that they would have to consider drafting backfield depth. I'm not saying that they would go RB early, as they have more pressing needs, but when the lead back is 32, they know he's not a long-term solution.

That said, at this time Gore is the unqestioned lead back on potentially the league's best offense, one that should be on the field for passing downs and at the goalline. At the very end of round 4 in a 16-team league is very nice value and like you wrote, a potential steal of the early draft. Excellent start for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.05 - Eddie Lacy, RB GB (RB4)
2.12 - DeSean Jackson, WR WAS (WR16)
3.05 - Jordan Mathews, WR PHI (WR18)
4.12 - Latavius Murray, RB OAK (RB24)

Really like my starting backfield here. Lacy is a true three-down stud - although McCarthy's making a lot of noise about capping his workload, we all know who's gonna be getting the rock 20-25 times on those frozen December Sundays at Lambeau. Latavius is IMO a steal at RB24 ... he went around RB19 on average in the WSLs (where there was considerable uncertainty about the Raiders bringing in a guy like DeMarco to be their workhorse) ... now we see that his competition is going to be a complementary piece in Helu and draft bust extraordinare T-Rich, and he's going later? Don't get it, but I'm happy about it.

WRs ... good but not great. I think deep threats like D-Jax can be sneaky value in best-ball since his occasional 2/25 weeks won't kill you, and while the Eagles are going to run the life out of the ball I still see Mathews being the go-to guy on a Chip Kelly offense. I'll take one of those every day of the week. We'll see if passing on Benjamin for D-Jax comes back to haunt me.

It's been a while since I went 4 rounds in one of these without either a stud QB or TE, but the second tier at both positions is just so deep this year that this doesn't worry me as much as it would in years past.

Not my best start ever in one of these, but not my worst either.

24th RB off the board?

In PPR...

And yes, he'll be 32.. I get that. Prolific offense tho, with little competition for carries... and to be honest, his career number of carries is low for a 3 down back. even just look at the last 5yrs.

We'll see. I'm just saying I didnt expect a back of that quality and opportunity at this pick
I thought you were talking about Steven Jackson when he went to the Falcons, but then i realized he was much younger than 32.

The same Steven Jackson who is a full year younger + has exactly 300 more carries to his name?

This, despite having only 347 combined carries in the last 2 seasons?

SJax was used and abused his entire career. Can't even compare the 2.

SJax 3 top rush season had 346, 330, 324 carries... Gore's? 312, 282 and 276

Much, much fresher... and frankly.. a much, much better back.

don't even think it is a debate and sometimes we tend to overthink things........Gore is great value there

Was going to take Big Ben in the 3rd... waited it out, and shocked he was there in the 5th.

Happy.

Was going to take Big Ben in the 3rd... waited it out, and shocked he was there in the 5th.

Happy.
3rd round would have been a huge reach and really set your team back. If you keep doing these leagues you can pencil in Ben in the 5th in every draft.

Miller

Mason

Stewart

Landry

Gronkowski

Definitely had Edelmen queued up #1, he was sticking out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately did not make it. Stewart was just too much value as the last of the sure thing starters at RB. Will need to swing for the fences at WR so I started with Landry who could be a PPR star.

Happy.
3rd round would have been a huge reach and really set your team back. If you keep doing these leagues you can pencil in Ben in the 5th in every draft.
He was absolutely dominant last year, though... And his weapons are only getting better.

I wouldnt have lost sleep if I took him in the 3rd, but I remember someone mentioning QBs run a bit late in this draft, so I tried it out. Glad I did.

Much muchhh rather him in the 5th than 3rd

Happy.
ben scored less than 20 pts less than brees who you took in the 3rd

agree with the reach but not with the really set your team back bit

Happy.
ben scored less than 20 pts less than brees who you took in the 3rd

agree with the reach but not with the really set your team back bit
By set back his team I meant that he wouldn't have Kelvin Benjamin.

Naaaaaasty QB run we started there...

Was mostly convinced on taking Crowell, but I had a feeling a run would start before 20+ picks were made and it got back to me.
Moving this from the draft thread...

That was just a normal little run here. Naaaasty doesn't occur until another 5-7 QBs are gone.

What's the deal on Crowell? He seems to be a fave around here and not really sure why? Cleveland's a mess, the OL sucks, and AFAIK, he doesn't have a lock on the job. Someone needs to 'splain things to me.

Naaaaaasty QB run we started there...

Was mostly convinced on taking Crowell, but I had a feeling a run would start before 20+ picks were made and it got back to me.
Moving this from the draft thread...

That was just a normal little run here. Naaaasty doesn't occur until another 5-7 QBs are gone.

What's the deal on Crowell? He seems to be a fave around here and not really sure why? Cleveland's a mess, the OL sucks, and AFAIK, he doesn't have a lock on the job. Someone needs to 'splain things to me.
7 QBs just went, almost in a row! That, while 3-4 were already off the board. That's a nasty run, imo.

As for Crowell, all my thoughts are in his thread. Sig Bloom also a very big fan. Watch him run and you'll see what the hype is about. Think he takes the lion's share sooner than later.

Ryan

Charles

Hilton

Sanders

Edelman

Wasn't planning on Edelman but the RB run killed my RB2 thoughts. I must like Edelman more than others, as he keeps appearing on my teams. Not a lot of TDs with my WRs but should be PPR/yardage gold. Now need to piece together whatever remains at RB2 and TE.

Miller

Mason

Stewart

Landry

Gronkowski

Definitely had Edelmen queued up #1, he was sticking out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately did not make it. Stewart was just too much value as the last of the sure thing starters at RB. Will need to swing for the fences at WR so I started with Landry who could be a PPR star.
Didn't think you'd go RB again and I thought about Stewart but just can't draft him. Don't really see it as a value pick here...nor a sure thing. When was the last time sure thing and Stewart were mentioned in the same sentence. :lol:

Big Ben

Le'Veon Bell

Frank Gore

Kelvin Benjamin

Greg Olsen

.... I really can't complain, aside from the fact I anticipated having already drafted 3 WRs by this point. Learning curve these types of drafts have

Team Holloway

QB - Peyton Manning 3.12

RB - Arian Foster 2.05

WR - Calvin Johnson 1.12

WR - Jeremy Maclin 4.05

TE - Antonio Gates 5.12

TE - Jason Witten 6.5

6.09 Ryan Tannehill QB MIA

4.09 Melvin Gordon RB ROOKIE

5.08 Isaiah Crowell RB CLE

2.09 Mike Evans WR TB

3.08 Brandon Cooks WR NO

1.08 Jimmy Graham TE SEA

2.16 L Miller

3.01 T Mason

5.01 J Stewart

6.16 E Decker

4.16 J Landry

7.01 B LaFell

1.01 R Gronkowski

Looks like I won't have to get crazy at WR after all with a couple solid WR3s in Decker and LaFell. Not too pretty, but I should have some decent ROI with where I got them. I'm just hoping the AFC East doesn't all have a bye the same week.

2.16 L Miller

3.01 T Mason

5.01 J Stewart

6.16 E Decker

4.16 J Landry

7.01 B LaFell

1.01 R Gronkowski

Looks like I won't have to get crazy at WR after all with a couple solid WR3s in Decker and LaFell. Not too pretty, but I should have some decent ROI with where I got them. I'm just hoping the AFC East doesn't all have a bye the same week.
I just looked it up and, while I knew LaFell was an enormous steal last year, I'm flabbergasted that Decker managed to finish at WR26 with the roaring dumpster fire the Jets had at QB. I would have bet money he didn't finish top 36, never mind top 26.

For where you got them that has to be the best-value trio of WRs I've seen in a while.

1.14 14. Norseman Green, A.J. CIN WR

2.03 19. Norseman Luck, Andrew IND QB

3.14 46. Norseman Hyde, Carlos SFO RB

4.03 51. Norseman Bryant, Martavis PIT WR

5.14 78. Norseman Abdullah, Ameer FA RB ®

6.03 83. Norseman Ajayi, Jay FA RB ®

Didn't mean to pick Andullah in the 5th. Wanted Ajayi there, and since he was still there in the 6th I said why not double up. Won't need RB for a while.

2.16 L Miller

3.01 T Mason

5.01 J Stewart

6.16 E Decker

4.16 J Landry

7.01 B LaFell

1.01 R Gronkowski

I just looked it up and, while I knew LaFell was an enormous steal last year, I'm flabbergasted that Decker managed to finish at WR26 with the roaring dumpster fire the Jets had at QB. I would have bet money he didn't finish top 36, never mind top 26.

For where you got them that has to be the best-value trio of WRs I've seen in a while.
I don't normally like to use the "if you take away that play" or if "you take away that game" when discussing fantasy but it applies a little to Decker I think.....if you take away week 17 (10-221-1)......he drops to 38 and you would have won some money.......that last week had him leapfrog 12 guys......

2.10 Randall Cobb

At this pick it was down to Cobb or TY Hilton. Cobb won out for me do to the additional offensive weapons added by the Colts this year.

3.07 Alfred Morris

Predrafted a list of 4 with Morris at the top. Needed a RB here after the WRx2 start. List was Morris, Hyde, Ingram, and Peyton Manning. Happy to get Morris - 26 and no real competition on the roster. Trying to continue with safe picks and value.

So far

QB: Stafford, Kaepernick. Both could be inconsisten but both are capable of huge scores in any one week. Hopefully they take turns. Nice combo to have for the SL

RB: Forte, Veeren. I like the duo here. I got a stud and a PPR guy. Need more for sure

WR: Allen, Hopkins. It is not bad. I will probably draft a few here and hope each week

TE: Ertz. Will he breakout in year 3 with the weapons depending on him more right now. It is okay and needs more for sure

I am off to a solid start but only QB is a forsure nice unit at this point. Rest will be wait and see

I'll be honest, my 8.14 wasn't going to be Sam Bradford, until I saw BroadwayG had NO qbs rostered.... Thinking he may take 2, and seeing the garbageness of the remaining crop, I had to pull the trigger on him. Needed a high upside 2nd QB for contingency

Big Ben leading the charge, and on Byes or bad weeks, hopefully Bradford thrives in the PHI system and puts up some solid #s

QB R Wilson

QB J Winston

RB D Murray

RB J Forsett

RB T Coleman ®

RB J Langdon ®

RB R Hillman

WR J Nelson

WR R White

WR L Fitz

WR E Royal

WR Blackmon

WR M Sanu

TE C Clay

TE T Wright

TE S Chandler

K D Carpenter

K K Forbath

DST Lions

DST Ravens

Actually pretty happy with this group, so far. Need a few to step it up though.

8.16 B Bortles

9.01 A Smith

2.16 L Miller

3.01 T Mason

5.01 J Stewart

6.16 E Decker

4.16 J Landry

7.01 B LaFell

1.01 R Gronkowski

Couldn't have asked for a better result after 9 rounds. Was expecting to have to grab 2 QBs from the same team from one of the question mark teams, definitely nice to get 2 definite starters, albeit the last two on my board. Lots of roster flexibility going into halftime.

Roethlisberger

Bradford

L. Bell

Gore

McKinnon

K benjamin

A Cooper

D Parker

G Olsen

......... for the type of league, I am pretty darn happy where I am now. Being best ball format, Im less worried about my WR corps than I would be in redraft... I got a few tricks up my sleeve as well.

So far, so good.

QB: Brees

RB: Peterson, Gurley

WR: OBJ, Floyd, Harvin

TE: Reed, Rudolph

Pretty happy with this core. Should be competitive.

7.08 Carson Palmer QB ARI

2.09 Mike Evans WR TB

3.08 Brandon Cooks WR NO

8.09 Kendall Wright WR TEN

9.08 Victor Cruz WR NYG

1.08 Jimmy Graham TE SEA

Team Holloway

QB - Peyton Manning 3.12

QB - Marcus Mariota 9.12

RB - Arian Foster 2.05

RB - Rashad Jennings 10.05

WR - Calvin Johnson 1.12

WR - Jeremy Maclin 4.05

WR - Mike Wallace 7.12

WR - Kenny Stills 8.05

TE - Antonio Gates 5.12

TE - Jason Witten 6.5

Aged everywhere, but mostly solid contributors for the past few years. Was lucky to get Mariota as QB29, taken almost two rounds later than he went in my WSL draft. Maclin has been solid, but shifts from the Kelly Eagle offense to Alex Smith and the Chiefs so shouldn't count on many (any)TDs.Like Wallace and Stills, particularly in best ball leagues. RB is weak, but I typically downplay that position in best ball survivors.

8.16 B Bortles

9.01 A Smith

2.16 L Miller

3.01 T Mason

5.01 J Stewart

11.01 TJ Yeldon

6.16 E Decker

4.16 J Landry

7.01 B LaFell

10.16 D Baldwin

1.01 R Gronkowski

Not very exciting pick of Baldwin, but I wanted a little bit of consistency at the WR4 spot. Had DGB lined up to pair with him as a speculative pick, but he didn't quite make it. Fallback option was a lottery ticket in the Dallas RB draft, Yeldon is my guy.

7.08 Carson Palmer QB ARI

10.09 Reggie Bush RB SF

11.08 David Cobb RB ROOKIE

2.09 Mike Evans WR TB

3.08 Brandon Cooks WR NO

8.09 Kendall Wright WR TEN

9.08 Victor Cruz WR NYG

1.08 Jimmy Graham TE SEA

8.16 B Bortles

9.01 A Smith

2.16 L Miller

3.01 T Mason

5.01 J Stewart

11.01 TJ Yeldon

6.16 E Decker

4.16 J Landry

7.01 B LaFell

10.16 D Baldwin

1.01 R Gronkowski

Not very exciting pick of Baldwin, but I wanted a little bit of consistency at the WR4 spot. Had DGB lined up to pair with him as a speculative pick, but he didn't quite make it. Fallback option was a lottery ticket in the Dallas RB draft, Yeldon is my guy.
I thought about Baldwin (and draft nothing but WRs under 6' lol) but have him in the WSLs and wanted a change. You know what you're getting with him -- about 60-800-4 for 160 pts/yr, good for ~ WR40...probably score for you 4-6 times. He's not exciting and there isn't any huge upside with him so he's usually a slight value where he's usually drafted.

I have BIG question marks about Cruz this year (and possibly career) and I think Randle is being under-drafted this year. There are still some issues (drops, maturity) with Randle but he's still young at 23yo and hopefully will continue to improve. NYG seem to like him and will stick with him. And I think he's their WR2 this year, not Cruz.

I probably flip flopped a dozen times between Randle and Baldwin as the 'conservative' pick of the turn while I was setting up predrafts.

I probably flip flopped a dozen times between Randle and Baldwin as the 'conservative' pick of the turn while I was setting up predrafts.
I flipped a couple times between them, Crabtree and a couple others that haven't been drafted yet. I almost said screw it and didn't draft a WR and let the draft decide/dictate and just draft whomever was still available next turn. But I looked again and all the TEs were gone....doesn't help when there are 2 teams with 3 TEs already after 10 rounds. WTF. Don't think I've ever seen that in these leagues.

I flipped a couple times between them, Crabtree and a couple others that haven't been drafted yet. I almost said screw it and didn't draft a WR and let the draft decide/dictate and just draft whomever was still available next turn. But I looked again and all the TEs were gone....doesn't help when there are 2 teams with 3 TEs already after 10 rounds. WTF. Don't think I've ever seen that in these leagues.
Yup - If olsen gets hurt, my season is over.

The TE pickins are zero now. Ridiculous

Users who are viewing this thread