What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Green Bay Packers thread (3 Viewers)

I don't know about that. House played four seasons in Green Bay and was a solid reserve or 3/4 corner. He left for a crack at a starting job and while it went OK in year one, he didn't do quite as well last season.

If you get four decent years out of a fourth round pick, I'd say that pick worked out OK. He was never great, but the odds of finding great in the fourth aren't that high to begin with.
I agree with this. I think he was a very good 3/4 corner, but not good enough to be a starter. He took starter money (and why not). It was very smart of Ted to not go after him. I was hoping that meant we'd try to keep Heyward but obviously not. 

Maybe Ted will bring him back as a 3/4 corner... Can't be worse than what we already have. In fact, I'd say he'd probably be our best corner. 

I don't know about that. House played four seasons in Green Bay and was a solid reserve or 3/4 corner. He left for a crack at a starting job and while it went OK in year one, he didn't do quite as well last season.

If you get four decent years out of a fourth round pick, I'd say that pick worked out OK. He was never great, but the odds of finding great in the fourth aren't that high to begin with.
To be honest, a decent 3 or 4 would probably be our best corner right now.  

Letroy is surely gone, right? Never was "Packer People" and plays like he'd rather be just about anywhere else. I don't see how they can carry him through another suspension.

First...quoting me from March 2016? :lmao:

And a DB trying to avoid a double block in that kind of play and get around it is gutless?

cmon man!
Seen it here first.  Randall is garbage.  He’s literally running away from the guy with the ball.  Been doing it for years! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen it here first.  Randall is garbage.  He’s literally running away from the guy with the ball.  Been doing it for years! 
He is literally avoiding the blocks...not running away from the guy with the ball.

there are plenty of things to criticize him for in his play...that wasn’t really one of them.  He has actually played more physically this year...his coverage blows.

He is literally avoiding the blocks...not running away from the guy with the ball.

there are plenty of things to criticize him for in his play...that wasn’t really one of them.  He has actually played more physically this year...his coverage blows.
Lol, so the exact thing I criticized him for two years ago shows up on film and I'm still making it up?  

How did avoiding those blocks help in anyway? And he very clearly is running away from the guy with the ball, the guy with the ball is directly  behind the blockers, which he ran away from. Why not take on both blockers (even if he just fell in front of them) which would then probably slow down the rb and either force him out of bounds sooner or would have allowed the LB to tackle him earlier

How did avoiding those blocks help in anyway? And he very clearly is running away from the guy with the ball, the guy with the ball is directly  behind the blockers, which he ran away from. Why not take on both blockers (even if he just fell in front of them) which would then probably slow down the rb and either force him out of bounds sooner or would have allowed the LB to tackle him earlier
So you expect a small DB to take in two larger blockers on his own.  And that will help the play?  Again...a lot to criticize him for...that play seems odd and nitpicking.

And a DB trying to avoid a double block in that kind of play and get around it is gutless?

cmon man!
Eh, come on... he ran like 10 yards away from the blockers. Esentially those blockers were successful without even touching him. At least take on those two blockers freeing up someone else to make the play. Isn't that what they teach DEs these days? Did when I played... take one for the team and let the LBs clean it up. Granted, Randall is one of the last defenses there but there appeared to be someone else behind him (Clinton-Dix I think- looked like 21)

Yeah this is where I stand on this play. 

First, he avoids the block from the WR, which is a great thing, you don't want to be blocked, but then he scampers away as if he's in pop warner... that's the kind of stuff you'd expect to see from a 5th grader. Most NFL players understand if one guy can take two blocks out of a single play, that's a win for the defense, no? 

So you expect a small DB to take in two larger blockers on his own.  And that will help the play?  Again...a lot to criticize him for...that play seems odd and nitpicking.
Yes. Clinton-Dix was behind him, no other blockers were in front. If Ryan were not there to make the play from behind essentially, and it was up to Randall/Clinton-Dix to make that tackle- that's 2 vs 3 (including the runner). If Randall takes on two blockers then it's Clinton Dix vs the runner. I like those odds better

Eh, come on... he ran like 10 yards away from the blockers. Esentially those blockers were successful without even touching him. At least take on those two blockers freeing up someone else to make the play. Isn't that what they teach DEs these days? Did when I played... take one for the team and let the LBs clean it up. Granted, Randall is one of the last defenses there but there appeared to be someone else behind him (Clinton-Dix I think- looked like 21)

Yeah this is where I stand on this play. 

First, he avoids the block from the WR, which is a great thing, you don't want to be blocked, but then he scampers away as if he's in pop warner... that's the kind of stuff you'd expect to see from a 5th grader. Most NFL players understand if one guy can take two blocks out of a single play, that's a win for the defense, no? 

Yes. Clinton-Dix was behind him, no other blockers were in front. If Ryan were not there to make the play from behind essentially, and it was up to Randall/Clinton-Dix to make that tackle- that's 2 vs 3 (including the runner). If Randall takes on two blockers then it's Clinton Dix vs the runner. I like those odds better
Is that what they teach DEs?  Yes...a bit different taking up blockers on the line as a DE than linemen running downhill at a DB.

Ryan is the one in position here...Ha Ha may be coming in from the side...but he may take the route behind the blockers...which means Randall is taking them out of the play that way.

Could he have taken one of them on and been tossed out of the play and helped a bit more...sure?

Would I call this a sign of being gutless and anything other than being a bit nitpicky on him?  No.

Is that what they teach DEs?  Yes...a bit different taking up blockers on the line as a DE than linemen running downhill at a DB.

Ryan is the one in position here...Ha Ha may be coming in from the side...but he may take the route behind the blockers...which means Randall is taking them out of the play that way.

Could he have taken one of them on and been tossed out of the play and helped a bit more...sure?

Would I call this a sign of being gutless and anything other than being a bit nitpicky on him?  No.
What I mean is on a play such as an option... the DE is in charge of the QB. Let the LB worry about the RB. Or, a better example, DE is in charge of taking up the first blocker on a sweep play (lets say a guard pulls- DE tries to engage that guard, force the RB toward the middle of they can). It's the job of the next guy to get the ball carrier or take up the next blocker. The goal is to at the very least disrupt the ball carrier's path and if possible force him middle. 

In this case, where you have two blockers coming at you, typically if you can't get by them in a reasonable way, you should at least try to get the blockers to get in the way of the ball carrier; disrupt his path to hopefully force toward where you have help- back toward the middle. Using 2 blockers on 1 defender is a huge win for the defense, every time. 

He ran 10 yards the opposite direction- even if he did get around those blockers doing what he did, he would have been so far out of position. Which is why I say he made as much of a bad decision running like a fool in circles as he would have if he just let himself be blocked; the blockers took him out of the play and unfortunately it was with zero physical effort. If they had at least been physically engaged with him, they wouldn't be able to make a block on a different player and the ball carrier would have likely changed his path in what was back toward the middle of the field where the help is.

There are 4 "defenders" in that video: Ryan, Randall, Haha, and the sideline. For Randall to run away from the sideline, he could not force the ball carrier back toward the inside of the field, where Ryan and Haha were. I feel like this is defense 101 for football and basketball players- use the sideline as an additional defender, force your opponent back toward your help. I'm kind of surprised to see this basic rule violated at an NFL level. It's almost comical to watch

How'd we get in the 2016 thread? 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/B_DEROUIN/status/920048187183857670

There, finally caught what I was talking about on video.  Gutless. Always was.  
As noted in the response to this tweet, he probably bailed when he saw the flag thrown.  Its no excuse, play to the whistle, etc. etc., and there's no doubt this guy does not like contact, but he's clearly calling for the obvious illegal man downfield flag, and sees the flag thrown, before he turned tail and ran.

CletiusMaximus said:
As noted in the response to this tweet, he probably bailed when he saw the flag thrown.  Its no excuse, play to the whistle, etc. etc., and there's no doubt this guy does not like contact, but he's clearly calling for the obvious illegal man downfield flag, and sees the flag thrown, before he turned tail and ran.
So, let's unpack that.  The flag is throw for what? Illegal man downfield or something?  There are still benefits to be gained on the play.  You could get an illegal block downfield, unsportsmanlike, ref might pick up the flag (happens often).  Should the defense just let the play score any time there is a flag?  I stand by my comments from two years ago.  He's a gutless player.  Cut him already. 

it is pretty funny to see him run away like that.  not often you see someone in the NFL actually turn away from the play and run the other direction  :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread