What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Oakland Raiders thread (1 Viewer)

From the anticipation leading up to the Karl Joseph pick to making it into the playoffs...fun season. Looking forward to next year, obviously we gotta get better at ILB, but we really need to get a dependable WR3. Seth Roberts ain't gonna cut it. 
Holmes looked great 

Holmes looked great 
Roberts clutch during year & Holmes fine as a 4.With Crab & Coop, WR3 should be way down our list of needs. Just get those top 2 better gloves or stickum. Draft & free agency needs to focus on D once again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rough break at the end of the season Raider fans, but you guys had a great season and a lot of reason to be optimistic about the future. Good luck next year.

Non raider homer point of view....still gonna be a tough division moving forward so the progress was nice but as some have said...kind of lightning in a bottle this year and may have been a little smoke and mirrors more than lightning in a bottle....only beat SD by a FG twice and if they get Allan and Woodhead back they get better....Chiefs have already shown they are the better team and DEN is still mega talented if they get the o line and QB figured out.....I'm not sure even with Carr that OAK beats NE, KC, or PIt for that matter.....I think it was kind of fun to get excited by the winning some of the games they normally lose....but I'm just not sure the page has really been turned....they aren't even the best team in the west....would anybody really be surprised if OAK misses the playoffs next year....?

Non raider homer point of view....still gonna be a tough division moving forward so the progress was nice but as some have said...kind of lightning in a bottle this year and may have been a little smoke and mirrors more than lightning in a bottle....only beat SD by a FG twice and if they get Allan and Woodhead back they get better....Chiefs have already shown they are the better team and DEN is still mega talented if they get the o line and QB figured out.....I'm not sure even with Carr that OAK beats NE, KC, or PIt for that matter.....I think it was kind of fun to get excited by the winning some of the games they normally lose....but I'm just not sure the page has really been turned....they aren't even the best team in the west....would anybody really be surprised if OAK misses the playoffs next year....?
Or wins the division?  They are a team on the cusp of being a contender.  It's harder to become one of those teams than it is to get up off of the mat that they have been laying on for 14 years, but they are on the right path and have the right blueprints.  They have also come to that crossroads at a blistering pace from where they were at the end of Al's ####-storm of lost draft picks and salary cap hell.  It's hard enough to overcome one of those hurdles in the time frame that they have.

The gut punch end to the season was also a back door blessing.  We had hopes, but no real expectations of being able to win a Lombardi this year, just a puncher's chance.  Bounced early from the playoffs also bounces them up 3-9 spots in the draft vs getting that first round bye.  They also get to play a 2nd place schedule next year instead of a (theoretically) tougher 1st place schedule.  They should be drafting in what many project to be a sweet spot for what they need in the first round.  There should be one of the 3 potential first round safeties left if they want to go there, but there is also a clump of CBs in that 18-25 spot that could fit very nicely, as well as a couple OTs and a stud TE.  The Raiders will be in the end of that run before a real drop off after picks 25-28.  Chiefs are gonna miss that spot.  I think we can also agree that the Raiders have had some pretty good success with the draft lately.  No reason to believe that won't continue, and that the Silver and Black are still on an upward trend.  I seriously doubt that this team is a one-season-wonder.

Yes, the Chiefs are a more complete team right now.  Things change.  Chiefs have some aging studs that could be gone at any time, and Andy is a fine coach, but not a hero.  His Eagles fans were always frustrated with his game plans and tendencies.  Whatever you think the Chiefs gain this year, unless it's a Super Bowl win, they lose out on beginning in April.  That said, I think the Chiefs match up very well with the Steelers and the Patriots and could actually get in to the Dance.  They are the most under-respected team over the last two seasons, and for all of Andy Reid's failures, all the same crap was said about Bill Cowher until he finally did it.

RAIDERS FOR LIFE....I live in the heart of Patriot land...my father was the biggest pats fan id ever known...he showed me by example what being committed to a team means ...but why do we love the teams that we do? is it just because we live in the area that the team plays in? Or is it something else...for me i fell in love with the Raiders during Black Sunday...Super Bowl XVIII ...i relate to the persona of the Raiders ...the bad boys of the NFL...always looking for a fight and never backing down from one ...those crazy bastards used to party with the Oakland chapter of the Hells Angels... Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels could be found on bar stools next to Ken Stabler, John Matuszak, and Phil Villapiano. You might even find Barger on the sideline of a Raiders football game.....the look ...the feel...the image..rebels with a cause...it pains me to see the team lose the way they did ...they didnt stand a chance without Carr driving the team... they will be back...but no matter what i will always bleed black and silver.....The Autumn Wind is a raider,

raidergil said:
Roberts clutch during year & Holmes fine as a 4.With Crab & Coop, WR3 should be way down our list of needs. Just get those top 2 better gloves or stickum. Draft & free agency needs to focus on D once again.
Especially at CB.  Sean Smith wasn't the acquisition that we thought he would be, 

But all in all, I was extremely proud of the Beloved Silver and Black.   We're going to be good for a long time with our core nucleus.  

Blah blah blah. We have Reggie McKenzie drafting and $50 MM in cap space next year. All you have is a smelly shirt.

It was a great season. I'm proud of how the team rallied under Carr's leadership this year. At the beginning of the season no one predicted 12 wins and a playoff berth. I'd bet money they even exceeded the front office's expectations. And judging by how the rest of the team performed after Carr went down Reggie and Mark know the team isn't quite there yet. Carr's injury revealed a lot of deficiencies and the injuries that started to accumulate showed the team still needs depth. But the Raiders are on the rise! We now have a competent front office and GM. A core of young rising stars, most importantly at QB. This year was the year they set the bar for themselves. 2016 was the year they got a taste for winning. 2016 was the foundation building year. Now it's time to fortify that defense and Oline and prepare to do some real damage in 2017. 2016 will be remembered as the year the Raiders came back from the dead. GO RAIDERS!! 

Blah blah blah. We have Reggie McKenzie drafting and $50 MM in cap space next year. All you have is a smelly shirt.
It WAS lightning in a bottle to a degree. The only team they blew out was the Jags.

They only outscored teams by 31 points the whole season. They could have very easily been 8-8. The Colts outscored teams by 19 points and were 8-8.

Hopefully it's not as bad as the last rookie QB's first playoff start for the Raiders on the road. :X

12 of 23, 140 yards and 4 picks

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariTo00/gamelog/post/

Ah, Robo QB. The 30 for 30 on him was fantastic, if you haven't seen it. Feel for the guy in a lot of ways. Imagine if we had taken Farve at that pick instead....

And yes, he was horrific. But at least he had the benefit of starting some regular season games -- I think I remember him being pretty solid in his debut against the Chiefs when Pigface Schroeder went down late season. He definitely played poorly when facing them again in the playoffs.

Then he started a bunch of games in 92 and won, but had a game against the Eagles where he threw 3 INTS in his first 10 passes. Yanked and never played again.

Good or bad, at least there was some experience there.
Hey, it was close!! :D

Marinovich 12 of 23, 140 yards, 4 picks

Cook 18 of 45, 161 yards, 3 picks and a TD pass

Not a Raiders fan, but you guys have a very bright future and are building the team the right way. You have your franchise QB in Carr, have built a brick wall in front of him with your great o-line and have some good weapons around him. As a Bucs fan, I am very jealous of that as we have done very little to help Jameis.

Just gotta fix that defense over the next off-season or 2, and the Raiders will be a damn scary team.

We saw exactly how important Carr was to the team, and saw that we have holes to fill on defense.  I didn't really care about the outcome,  No Carr, no Penn, Crabtree and Hudson getting banged up, at one point, I was just watching the clock roll, and rooting for it.  

Might seem a little weird, but it's the way I felt.  'OK, we are done for the year, let's wrap it up, and get to the offseason'.  

I haven't looked at the draft, which is a nice feeling you get when you have a good team.  But I have been paying attention to the free agency cap stuff, because I am a geek for that stuff for some odd reason.  

Link to our 2017 salaries The important columns are the last 3.  2017 cap number, 'dead' money if we cut them, and net cap savings if we cut player.  When you see a zero under dead money, that's either a young guy with a teeny contract and no guarantees, or a McKenzie Special.  Guys like Aldon, Dan Williams, Reggie Nelson, and Lee Smith.  Free agents that are essentially year to year, and can be cut for the sake of salary cap purposes at any time. I stress any time, because it's a little bit of a luxury if you think about the timing of free agency and the draft. We can cut Reggie Nelson or Dan Williams for cap space in March, but we don't have to.  Some teams have to make cuts by a certain time in March, or a bonus kicks in. We can hang onto Nelson, and let's say a top free safety prospect lands in out  laps in the 2nd round?  Reggie can wait and see how training camp goes, and make a decision in August.   

Pending Free Agents

DJ Hayden--I dunno how the Raiders think about him, for all I know they are willing to let him walk, or like him as a nickel guy but not much more.  He's had some nice moments as a nickel, but many more as a liability.  My guess is they will let him test FA, and might be willing to bring him back for a bargain contract.  Only because of the position he plays.  If he was any other position, ANY other, I would say that he's gone.  

Latavius Murray--I don't want him back.  Like, really don't want him back.  His vision and instincts are below average.  He has this weird habit of turning his back when fighting for yardage, and someone is gonna crack his vertebreae one of these days.  The RB position is better with a platoon of the Dwarf Twins, I don't think he does anything better than either of them now.  I doubt he gets a big deal from anyone really, but definitely not from a team that has to re-sign Carr/Mack/Coop in the next few years.  I'd be shocked if he returns.

Malcolm Smith--Has been a fine, cheap starter, a nice bargain bin find for Reggie.  I kind of hope he comes back for at least another year, we have nothing but questions at LB, and another year might give us a bit more clarity about James/Ball/Heeney/Riley.  Toss up, tho.  He might get a little more money elsewhere, or re-sign right away.  

Menelik Watson--I think he's worth more to us than someone else.  Other teams haven't seen enough to know if they can count on him, the Raiders at least have had him in practice when he was healthy.  I am hoping the team locks him up for a team-friendly deal, getting a right tackle for a song because of his injury history.  

Matt McGloin--I think he returns.  Who likes him more than us?  Who knows him better?  Bill O'Brien gonna bring him in to compete with Oz and Savage?  Nah.  

Mychal Rivera--Weird rumors he was gone last spring, he's a FA, and we have Lee Smith and Gabe Holmes coming back (Holmes is Exclusive-rights FA, he's not going anywhere).  Rivera is off to his next stop.  

Andre Holmes--4th string outside WR, who actually had a nice year on special teams.  Not a bad last WR, but made 2 mill last year.  I assume he wants a raise.  I would guess he moves on.  

Stacey McGee--I think he could return on a short term deal, trying to raise his value, especially because I think Dan could be moved out.  Had a few nice moments.  I could see a 2017 DT rotation of McGee/Latham/Jelly/Mario.  Hoping they re-sign him.  I could also potentially see a team make a speculative grab for him with a medium-big deal (4 mill a year-ish).  I say that because a LOT of teams have cap space, and there isn't enough good players to spend the money on.  Some people are going to get overpaid.  M. Smith could as well, come to think of it.  

Perry Riley--I think the Raiders give him a nice guarantee of a few mill, and give him a 2 or three year deal.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't stay, for a nice raise, but nothing crazy.  

Brynden Trawick/Darren Bates--Two special teams demons, your guess is as good as mine if they are re-signed.  Feel like I saw Bates around the ball more, but I can't say with any conviction that I know the kind of year either guy had.  

Nate Allen--Cheap backup veteran safety.  I'm fine with keeping him, but he may have to wait until after the draft to see how the roster shakes out.  He's in that 2nd wave of free agency, I bet.  

I would not mind bringing back Andre Holmes and i wish he was more involved in the offense.  Plus he's a very good special teams player.

Didn't expect a win, but man what a disappointing performance by everyone on offense in a game that was totally winnable.  Lack of depth was totally exposed and OL was awful.  Dropped passes were the most discouraging.  For us to have a chance (and we had a lot of them) we needed everyone not named Cook to be helping carry him.  Instead they dragged him down with them - and given how he played, hard to believe there was a "down" from there.  But there was.  Defense wasn't terrible but we always knew they were going to win us zero games and the best we could ask for was for them to keep us close.  They did that for the most part.  We blitzed a whole lot and used Trawick really well and didn't really get burned by it.  Different D when Joseph is in there. 

Overall pretty thrilled with the year.  We have our franchise QB first and foremost.  Anything can happen once that's solved.  Someone needs to fix Cooper that dude is on autopilot way too often.  Second straight year he disappears late and in big games and the lack of attention to detail will keep him from any elite potential he might have - I'm definitely not sold yet.  Overall talent has improved drastically over the last few years and we just need to keep that momentum.  Depth got exposed a lot this year - our starters held their own, especially on D, but once someone went down opponents attacked the replacements and had a ton of success. 

Raiders signed TE Cooper Helfet, CB Kenneth Durden, DE Jimmy Bean, WR K.J. Brent, DE Demetrius Cherry, WR Jaydon Mickens, TE Ryan O'Malley, and OGs Ian Silberman and Oni Omoile to reserve/future contracts.
Helfet is a former Seahawks player. Bean went undrafted out of Oklahoma State last year despite prolific college pass-rush stats.

Raiders signed TE Cooper Helfet, CB Kenneth Durden, DE Jimmy Bean, WR K.J. Brent, DE Demetrius Cherry, WR Jaydon Mickens, TE Ryan O'Malley, and OGs Ian Silberman and Oni Omoile to reserve/future contracts.
Helfet is a former Seahawks player. Bean went undrafted out of Oklahoma State last year despite prolific college pass-rush stats.
and on that note

Just heard the Raiders won't be renewing Musgraves contract. Sounds like Todd Downing will get a promotion. And Norton apparently is coming back. 

Users who are viewing this thread