What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Official Dallas Cowboys thread (1 Viewer)

Question for you Cowpkes fans (JK  :P ). Has the success of the team this year changed any of your thoughts on Romo? i know some of the losses in the past were due to him being injured, but do you really think the team would be 10-1 if Romo never got injured in the beginning of the year? And should the Cowboys looked for a QB little sooner (not an immediate replacement over Romo but a QB to groom)? And if you think it wouldn't be any different, i would love to hear you explain that because I can't see that at all
Could we be 10-1 or better right now if Romo never got hurt?  I don't know because I don't have a crystal ball.  Romo is an excellent QB so it is possible.  Romo has played very well for us and he came to us unexpectedly while we were in the midst of a QB drought in the years after Aikman so for that I will always be a fan of his. 

Dak Prescott is kind of the same thing.  We were struggling to find a backup to Romo who unfortunately appeared to be snake bit when it came to injury now and low and behold in our second 4th round pick we found arguably the best QB prospect to come into the NFL since Dan Marino. 

In one draft we go from wondering what to do after Romo to "How many Superbowls can we win in the next 15 years?" It's quite a remarkable feeling.  

Thank you for asking.  

I dont really have an issue with Romo. I think he was asked to do more with less then most QBs and he did it. He had no line and no defense for most of his career. They sacrificed the line to bring in guys like (WR) Roy Williams and draft projects that never panned out. Romo was a great QB and made my team worth watching even if those years took years off the end of my life.

I thank him for his time and hope he is willing to sit on the bench his last two years. He really doesn't have much of a choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thank him for his time and hope he is willing to sit on the bench his last two years. He really doesn't have much of a choice.
Jerry Jones can give him a choice if other teams show interest in him, and he wants to start for another team. Drew Bledsoe had just signed a new big contract when he got hurt in NE, and Brady filled in for him. He was traded the following year to the Bills.

Jerry Jones can give him a choice if other teams show interest in him, and he wants to start for another team. Drew Bledsoe had just signed a new big contract when he got hurt in NE, and Brady filled in for him. He was traded the following year to the Bills.
 That was before ( partially ) guaranteed contracts. It's cost prohibitive to trade or cut Romo. The best financial move that makes any sense from a team standpoint is for him to retire. 

The Cowboys are not eating $15 million just to help Romo make another team better and the Cowboys worse.

That was before ( partially ) guaranteed contracts. It's cost prohibitive to trade or cut Romo. The best financial move that makes any sense from a team standpoint is for him to retire. 

The Cowboys are not eating $15 million just to help Romo make another team better and the Cowboys worse.
You don't know what Jerry (or Romo) will do.

Why would Romo retire?  I could see him renegotiate his deal in order to work out a trade to a team of his choosing but I wouldn't expect him to retire.  

Why would Romo retire?  I could see him renegotiate his deal in order to work out a trade to a team of his choosing but I wouldn't expect him to retire.  
I don't think he will retire. I said that was the best option from a financial standpoint.

I can see your second sentience coming true.

According to Spotrac in 2017 Romo will cost 24,7m to keep and 19,6m if cut or traded (this is the remainder of the signing and restructuting bonuses that have already been paid out).

So, Romo would seem tradeable for a high pick or two. The Bradford and Bledsoe deals seem relevant here.

The new team will inherit a 3 year contract with nothing guaranteed and base salaries of 14, 19,5 and 20,5m respectively. That will be renegotiated for more guaranteed money in possibly a five year contract with all the guaranteed money in the first year or more likely two. If he is traded, obviously.

If he is kept in 2017, he is all but certain to be gone from DAL come 2018.

My guess is that Jerry trades him out of the NFC, although if the schedule does not pair NFC North with NFC East in 2017 I suppose CHI could also be an option.

I'm looking for a Frederick Jersey, but can't find one.  They make Jerseys for all the players, don't they?

Somewhat off topic considering he won't play for us this year but can someone nutshell the jaylon Smith situation for me? I keep hearing the whole the nerve has to fire and who knows when that will be. What exactly does that mean? And what can he not do on a football field not that he will be able to once the nerve fires again? 

Jist not a situation I'm familiar with as generally with acl/mock tears there's rehab and you can kind of have a feel for how far along someone is. Obviously that's not the case here so just curious for some clarification. 

Somewhat off topic considering he won't play for us this year but can someone nutshell the jaylon Smith situation for me? I keep hearing the whole the nerve has to fire and who knows when that will be. What exactly does that mean? And what can he not do on a football field not that he will be able to once the nerve fires again? 

Jist not a situation I'm familiar with as generally with acl/mock tears there's rehab and you can kind of have a feel for how far along someone is. Obviously that's not the case here so just curious for some clarification. 
He has to wear a special brace to keep his foot in position. As in w/o that brace his foot would just drag along with him, he can't make steps with that foot.  So the answer your question, other than light jogging with a brace on he can't do anything athletically yet. He is hoping that the nerve in his knee will "re-fire".  There is no guarantee that this will happen. 

They were at the hopeful enough not to put him on injured reserve this year so that's a good sign but as far as I can tell the nerve has not re-fired. Other than the knee he is in great shape from what I've read over the past few months. 

I sure hope it re-fires because this dude is essentially Dak Prescott between the ears, just on the defensive side of the ball.

It's not cost prohibitive to trade or cut Romo. He has a $20 million cap number this year; next year, his cap number will be $24 million if the Cowboys keep him as a back-up, or $19 million of dead money if he is cut or traded. For that extra $5 million, I would keep Romo one more year. He is the best back-up in football, assuming you are not counting on him having to start the whole season. Because Dak has a 4th round QB salary, that allows the Cowboys to not have to cut Romo for salary reasons.

I'm looking for a Frederick Jersey, but can't find one.  They make Jerseys for all the players, don't they?
Was shopping for a jersey for my son for Christmas, and while researching, ended up over at the Top Selling Jerseys page at NFLShop. You have Zeke number one overall, Dak number two overall and and Dez coming in at number 14 in the league. Add in Witten as the second most popular TE behind Gronk, and Dallas is well represented in overall jersey sales right now.

Everyone loves a winner.

Listening to sports radio yesterday, I was thinking about what the local radio station said. Now granted it's a local station, and there's tons of homerism in it, but at the end of the discussion I couldn't come up with an argument against it? What they said was, that if RIGHT NOW you put all this year's draft picks back in a pool and re-picked based on what we know now and what they've done in the NFL, is there any reason why you wouldn't think that Dallas took the #1 and #2 player in the draft? In other words, if you redrafted, would Dak Prescott not go number one overall, and Zeke Elliot go number two (Or maybe vice versa)? As crazy as that sounds-and I was laughing thinking this is Dallas DJs saying that- I can't argue against it? I'm high on Wentz, and feel like he has a long  successful future in Philly, but wouldn't take Wentz over Dak or Zeke.

To think that we got Zeke at #4 and no one took him before us,(granted one and two had already traded the farm for their quarterbacks so we were only sweating #3)- but then we grab Prescott at the back of round four (#135), just shows how lucky and how well we did in this draft. Poor Cleveland had 8 pics before us and didn't take him!
There were SEVEN QB's taken before Dak, and I wouldn't trade straight up for any of them.
If Jaylon Smith comes back and is just 3/4 of the player he was projected to be – well then we have a dynasty, boys. It's good to be a Cowboy fan and I know for a fact it sucks to be in the NFC East with us.

The Redskins are in good hands with Scott Mcloughanhhan and will only improve (unless they lose Cousins to FA)

The Giants are still the Giants with an improved D, but just a RB and TE away from being very good.

The Eagles have Wentz who will only get better.

IT aint gonna be easy.

I agree it's gonna be a tough division, didn't mean to imply it wasn't. Just saying that they can't be happy with what Dallas has put together. I am excited to get back to some serious powerhouse competion instead of being the "Weak East"

Listening to sports radio yesterday, I was thinking about what the local radio station said. Now granted it's a local station, and there's tons of homerism in it, but at the end of the discussion I couldn't come up with an argument against it? What they said was, that if RIGHT NOW you put all this year's draft picks back in a pool and re-picked based on what we know now and what they've done in the NFL, is there any reason why you wouldn't think that Dallas took the #1 and #2 player in the draft? In other words, if you redrafted, would Dak Prescott not go number one overall, and Zeke Elliot go number two (Or maybe vice versa)? As crazy as that sounds-and I was laughing thinking this is Dallas DJs saying that- I can't argue against it? I'm high on Wentz, and feel like he has a long  successful future in Philly, but wouldn't take Wentz over Dak or Zeke.

To think that we got Zeke at #4 and no one took him before us,(granted one and two had already traded the farm for their quarterbacks so we were only sweating #3)- but then we grab Prescott at the back of round four (#135), just shows how lucky and how well we did in this draft. Poor Cleveland had 8 pics before us and didn't take him!
There were SEVEN QB's taken before Dak, and I wouldn't trade straight up for any of them.
If Jaylon Smith comes back and is just 3/4 of the player he was projected to be – well then we have a dynasty, boys. It's good to be a Cowboy fan and I know for a fact it sucks to be in the NFC East with us.
Well, regarding the bolded, that will always be true. But if you are implying that Giants, Redskins, and Eagles fans are lamenting being in the NFC East because Dallas is very good, we will never admit that. We will just assume that until the Cowboys do get to the Super Bowl and win it, that the Cowboys will find a way to blow it. And please stop the dynasty talk before you have even gotten to your first conference championship game in 21 years, let alone won the Super Bowl.

And just so you know, I do think the Cowboys are the favorite to win the NFC, and they did have a helluva draft. How some of these QB needy teams did not take a chance on Dak before he got picked astounds me, especially with the quality college QB resume he had.

Well dhockster, we are in a Cowboys thread, so Dynasty talk is "tongue and cheek". Didn't mean to offend an Eagle in here?.  But Bro, I said "if we get JS back" (big if). But if you want to bring up our 21 year drought in here which we are TOTALLY aware of, maybe give us the Eagles Super Bowl count? ?

Tough and ugly win last night but they did it again. I was more concerned about getting through this game without any serious injuries than winning. I think everyone made it through ok though I remember seeing Lucky limp off at one point.

So, do you start Romo the last two games?  It's exceedingly likely that the HFA will be locked up with just 1 win in next 2 games, and perhaps sooner if Seattle craps the bed again like they did vs. TB.

With the ties I'm not sure what the magic number is for the 1 seed.  I assume it's 2.  But who the #### knows.

Well dhockster, we are in a Cowboys thread, so Dynasty talk is "tongue and cheek". Didn't mean to offend an Eagle in here?.  But Bro, I said "if we get JS back" (big if). But if you want to bring up our 21 year drought in here which we are TOTALLY aware of, maybe give us the Eagles Super Bowl count? ?
No offense taken. Eagles have 3 championships, 0 super bowl wins. 56 year championship drought. What do I win?

There are plenty of mid season mock re-drafts out there.  Most of them have Zeke #1 and Dak usually goes in Zeke's old spot around #4.

So, do you start Romo the last two games?  It's exceedingly likely that the HFA will be locked up with just 1 win in next 2 games, and perhaps sooner if Seattle craps the bed again like they did vs. TB.

With the ties I'm not sure what the magic number is for the 1 seed.  I assume it's 2.  But who the #### knows.
I'd give him the last game for sure.  Speculation is that Jerry will at least do that for him, an audition of sorts.

Posted this in the game thread:

I think the Dallas special teams was great; they did what they needed to do to contain Patterson, both kickers are outstanding and the turn over was the difference in the game.

The Dallas offense was bad; the turnovers and penalties (two penalties that were really bad calls, imo)  kept them from grinding out the time of possession and taking control of the game.  Makes me a little less confident if we face another really good defense in the playoffs, like Seattle.  The good thing is turnovers and penalties are fixable.

The Dallas defense wasn't good, but, that's what this defense is; bend don't break.  They did exactly what they needed to to win the game, nothing more.  That's what they've done every game; they don't win games, they just don't loose them.    

I think the Dallas coaching was good.  I didn't really like Garrett early on, but, he's really became a fantastic coach.  After he immediately called for a 1 point conversion after the touch down in the fourth quarter (2 points would put them up two field goals instead of 5 points) the game played out exactly how he envisioned:  Get another field goal and the Vikings who you've been able to hold to field goals all game would  have to drive the length of the field, score, and complete a 2 point conversion to catch you.  An almost impossible feat for that offense.

The only way to be a dynasty is:

1. Have a great FO & HC who can keep coaches or is great at replacing them.
2. Players buy into it and take less $ to stay. Brady takes less. Norman goes for the jackpot. Seahawks have lost some of their D in the last 2 years.

Other teams cannibalize winners. There is only 1 dynasty in the NFL. The Cowboys will be cannibalized.

tonydead said:
Jack hole of the thread award, at a minimum.  
He's actually a pretty good poster usually in the Eagles thread, maybe he just wandered in the wrong thread. I get his frustration, but the Eagles are turning it around and making some good moves. Wentz and Pederson are good guys and should have success. I hope we have a decade of great battles again.

as far as what you won DHock- I would say 3 Democratic participation trophies? ?

dhockster said:
How am I a being a Jack hole for calling out someone for saying this Cowboys team could be a dynasty when they haven't won even one SB yet? Geez, sensitive....
Again, I said it in OUR THREAD tongue and cheek. I think you may be the one sensitive.?

He's actually a pretty good poster usually in the Eagles thread, maybe he just wandered in the wrong thread. I get his frustration, but the Eagles are turning it around and making some good moves. Wentz and Pederson are good guys and should have success. I hope we have a decade of great battles again.

as far as what you won DHock- I would say 3 Democratic participation trophies? ?
Thanks for the props, G. No, I didn't wander in here by mistake, I post here periodically. Sometimes to contribute useful information, sometimes to just poke fun at you guys. That was what my post was trying to do. I apologize if I came off Snarky. And now with Gronk being hurt, the Cowboys may have just moved from being favorites to win the NFC, to being favorites to win the Superbowl. I will always root against the Cowboys, but I have to acknowledge when you guys have a good team, and you currently have a very good team.

And believe me nobody ever has to remind me that the Eagles haven't won anything in my lifetime. I am aware of that everyday of my life.

tonydead said:
Jack hole of the thread award, at a minimum.  
Dhockster is fine imo. No history of trolling. Cut him a little slack. He doesn't have to agree to post in here as long as he isn't being a dooshnozzle - which I see no signs of. I post opinion in the Eagles threads from time to time, I do it respectfully, but they don't always agree with me either.

Dhockster is fine imo. No history of trolling. Cut him a little slack. He doesn't have to agree to post in here as long as he isn't being a dooshnozzle - which I see no signs of. I post opinion in the Eagles threads from time to time, I do it respectfully, but they don't always agree with me either.
Thanks BG

Thanks for the props, G. No, I didn't wander in here by mistake, I post here periodically. Sometimes to contribute useful information, sometimes to just poke fun at you guys. That was what my post was trying to do. I apologize if I came off Snarky. And now with Gronk being hurt, the Cowboys may have just moved from being favorites to win the NFC, to being favorites to win the Superbowl. I will always root against the Cowboys, but I have to acknowledge when you guys have a good team, and you currently have a very good team.

And believe me nobody ever has to remind me that the Eagles haven't won anything in my lifetime. I am aware of that everyday of my life.
I am a die hard Toronto Maple Leafs fan, while they have won Stanley Cups. None of them have happened in my 43 years. It's rough, I empathize fan to fan.

Not that I want to see an Eagles SB...but you get where I am coming from.

If you put Romo in Dak's place and have him slide a 1/2 yard short of the sticks, then shortly thereafter fail to be able to handle a snap I'm pretty sure the internet would have caved in on itself.  But it's Dak so it's cool.  

If you put Romo in Dak's place and have him slide a 1/2 yard short of the sticks, then shortly thereafter fail to be able to handle a snap I'm pretty sure the internet would have caved in on itself.  But it's Dak so it's cool.  
WE won?

If we lost....not so much.

I'm in the Eagles thread often, D's cool.  How's this cliche' in the day of racial tension:  "Some of my friends are Eagle fans"

Well that's me. ? :thumbup:

Question for you Cowpkes fans (JK  :P ). Has the success of the team this year changed any of your thoughts on Romo? i know some of the losses in the past were due to him being injured, but do you really think the team would be 10-1 if Romo never got injured in the beginning of the year? And should the Cowboys looked for a QB little sooner (not an immediate replacement over Romo but a QB to groom)? And if you think it wouldn't be any different, i would love to hear you explain that because I can't see that at all
Could they be 10-1 with Romo...sure, certainly possible as long as we can include the same performance that we've been getting from Zeke. To me that's been a huge difference maker

Users who are viewing this thread