What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 New York Jets: Robby Anderson has been arrested in Florida for the second straight offseason. This is why we can't have nice things. (3 Viewers)

This is totally fantasy football, but I would love to see them continue to purge and clear enough room to go for Cousins.  Trade the first pick (I am not too hot any of these guys at the top) to Washington and let Washington parlay that pick to NE for Garrapolo.  They get a QB at a cheaper price, and we get someone who should be good for a while.  Another option would be to move Richardson and a lower pick, but I am not sure they would want to deal with him (and what could be a contentious contract negotiation).

Mangold cut - end of an era......dude was the best center in the league for a long time....plus a great teammate/locker room guy.....it was the right move under the circumstances but still hurts....one of my favorite all time Jets...everything Revis is not.  I wish him well and hope he plays for a contender if he comes back - outside the AFC East of course! 

$18M under the cap with Revis, Harris, Marshall and lots of other possible cuts...probably will end up around $40M under - good base to rebuild with youth

Wondering from you guys how much you think Mangold still has left in the tank.  seems like a clear cut at that price but how has his play been?  My Bengals have the worst starting center in the league - does Mangold offer any hope (not that I think we'd actually, y'know, sign him).

Thx

-QG

Wondering from you guys how much you think Mangold still has left in the tank.  seems like a clear cut at that price but how has his play been?  My Bengals have the worst starting center in the league - does Mangold offer any hope (not that I think we'd actually, y'know, sign him).

Thx

-QG
It's been tougher for him to stay healthy the last couple of years, but he can still play. His age and salary and the fact that Johnson played fairly well in his place are the reasons he was released. He can still help a contending team.

Revis will be released per twitter 

I admire the Jets acknowledging the situation and cutting bait on these guys, but it doesn't jive with keeping Bowles around. Only logical explanation  (as if the Jets would ever be logical) is that he's basically a sacrificial lamb so that whoever they hire next year will have a 100 percent clean slate along with a potential number 1 pick

Revis will be released per twitter 

I admire the Jets acknowledging the situation and cutting bait on these guys, but it doesn't jive with keeping Bowles around. Only logical explanation  (as if the Jets would ever be logical) is that he's basically a sacrificial lamb so that whoever they hire next year will have a 100 percent clean slate along with a potential number 1 pick
Or they plan on keeping Bowles around through the rebuild - which seem like a poor idea but maybe his style will mesh better with a young team.

Yes, that would be worse.

It's not just a coaching style thing with Bowles. It's a "he has no idea what he's doing" thing.

Yes, that would be worse.

It's not just a coaching style thing with Bowles. It's a "he has no idea what he's doing" thing.
I agree. Generally I'm all for stability but said a while back that if they are blowing up this thing they should start with a whole new staff and let them grow with the team. Say they do draft Watson or Trubisky at 6 - do we really want to have either learn a whole new system after their rookie season?

I hope that releasing all of these veterans (with hopefully more to come) means they will really embrace the full rebuild this team needs. If they clear all of this cap space just to turn around and sign more veteran band aids to terrible contracts I am going to be doing this :wall:  all offseason.

This cap space must either be used to sign young up and coming players or be carried over for future years. Hopefully last season opened some eyes, and Big Mac was given assurances that he does not need to make the playoffs to keep his job.

Not to sound like a broken record, but please stay away from Romo and Cutler. I'm coming around a bit on DeShaun Watson, but if they pass on him (or the other rookie QBs) just bring in a super cheap veteran on a one year deal like Hoyer or Gabbert, for depth and emergency situations, and let Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg start all season. I doubt either is the long term answer but we need to see if they could be, and if not "earn" a high enough pick next season to get a QB.

Jets coach Todd Bowles said the team is "looking into" veteran quarterbacks.

"We have our eye on a few people," Bowles added. With just Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg under contract for 2017, the Jets have to add a veteran during free agency. They have been linked heavily with Bucs backup Mike Glennon.
I liked Glennon as a rookie, but I just can't shake the feeling that this would turn out to be a huge mistake (maybe it's just because of years and years of being beaten down). "Looking into" veteran QBs also scares the heck out of me as it indicates that this team may not embrace the full rebuild it should and will try and put band aids in place in order to try and win and keep their jobs. There will be nothing worse than a 7-9 record next season while using up cap space on veteran players..

Dr. Octopus said:
I liked Glennon as a rookie, but I just can't shake the feeling that this would turn out to be a huge mistake (maybe it's just because of years and years of being beaten down). "Looking into" veteran QBs also scares the heck out of me as it indicates that this team may not embrace the full rebuild it should and will try and put band aids in place in order to try and win and keep their jobs. There will be nothing worse than a 7-9 record next season while using up cap space on veteran players..

From the cuts being made I am optimistic that they understand what needs to be done....Gelnnon is young with upside so as long as they dont throw crazy money at him Im ok with it....if not Glennon though I am fine with creaky vet to mentor Petty/Hack and let em sink or swim.  If bomb then should have a top pick for a real franchise QB....if they develop then problem solved....

From the cuts being made I am optimistic that they understand what needs to be done....Gelnnon is young with upside so as long as they dont throw crazy money at him Im ok with it....if not Glennon though I am fine with creaky vet to mentor Petty/Hack and let em sink or swim.  If bomb then should have a top pick for a real franchise QB....if they develop then problem solved....
From what I'm reading, Glennon will command at least $15-16MM, which is why I've soured on signing him. I'm just not convinced his ceiling is any higher than a middle of the road starter.

I feel the same way that these recent cuts could/should be viewed as a positive - but until I see the results there's still a part of me that is afraid they are just going to use that money to try and stay competitive.

Marshall released. Well they seem to be doing the right thing.

I read yesterday that Glennon wants to sign somewhere with stability so that he can be successful. I'm guessing that he will likely avoid the Jets now unless they overpay (which would obviously be a mistake by them).

Decker could be next from what I've read, as his injuries put him in jeopardy for the start of the season anyway. 

I like the young WRs on this team, so it will be interesting to see them getting a chance.

NJ Advance Media's Connor Hughes reports the Jets are expected to target free agent S Tony Jefferson.

Jefferson is the top safety available after Eric Berry re-signed with the Chiefs earlier this week. Jefferson just turned 25 in January and played the first two years of his career for Jets coach Todd Bowles in Arizona. The Cardinals want Jefferson back but already have a lot of money tied up in their secondary. Jefferson showed elite run-stopping skills as a box safety in 2016.

From what I'm reading, Glennon will command at least $15-16MM, which is why I've soured on signing him. I'm just not convinced his ceiling is any higher than a middle of the road starter.

I feel the same way that these recent cuts could/should be viewed as a positive - but until I see the results there's still a part of me that is afraid they are just going to use that money to try and stay competitive.
In Jet mode today so heres some thought to mull

I agree with Doc - would pass on Glennon at $15-16M yr...my max would be $12M tops with an out clause after yr 2.....if thats not enough then so be it...grab a journeyman and go with the kids.

I'd dump Gilchrist, Decker (coming off 2 major surgeries) and Harris (guy cant cover anymore and $6M way too high) - this would free up another $14M...I'd then trade Sheldon for the best offer.....no need to play poker like they did with Mo....his value has been nuked with off field nonsense and stupidly playing him out of position last year....I think they get a 3rd which is what they would get in 2 yrs if he walks so just take it and move on....it does save another $8M which is nice so we are looking at around $47M of space (plus would give them 3 3rd rd picks) ....I also think Revis signs somewhere for cheap but would likely add back $2M to put them around $50M 

As far as a rebuild goes, I dont think that has to mean not spending $ on FA's but rather spending $ on the right ones....they have enough $ to land a nice base and at least 2 big FAs and one solid one- that would fill some massive holes..I can see them going in on Bouye (26 yrs old) and Tony Jefferson (25 yrs old) to fix the secondary....then get some young depth to compete on the OL...so besides QB the team is not a disaster....I can see the below being competitive

QB: Hack/Petty with McNown as vet ins - key to the team....one of the kids steps forward could be 8-8 or better....they flop its a 4 win team

RB: Powell, Forte - solid - could be spectacular with Fournette but could hold the fort another yr easily between the 2

WR: Enuwa, Anderson, Peake, Jalin Marshall, D Smith - young with upside....wouldnt be shocked if they added a WR as BPA early in draft but for now its fine

OL - W Johnson, Carpenter, Winters, Shell, Ijalana with a 2d or 3rd rd LT prospect drafted - not a mauling OL but not bad...no great young LT in FA and 1st rd so they may go mid rd value and fill in for 1 more yr....LT big weakness

TE - ASJ and 3rd rd pick to compete - need to solidify this position as its been irrelevant 

DL - Wiliams, Mo, McClendon - darn good DL even without Sheldon.

LB - Lee, Jenkins, Young FA or 2d rd pick - need to replace Harris so I can see a decent FA or early pick here. 

CB - Bouye, Williams/Burris/Skrine - Bouye shores it up nicely - wont be the old days but should be fine

S - Jefferson, TBD - Jefferson is a beast and has Bowles connection so can see him being his Bart Scott...I think Pryor gets dealt for a 4th or 5th rder to make room and they grab another safety more suited to play next to Jefferson - maybe Hooker or Adams in the 1st?  

Looking at the above this is not a horrific team...there is talent and less drama in locker room without Sheldon and BM.....I dont have a problem making a big FA splash or 2 if on the right young players that will be here in 3 yrs when they make a real run....1st rd pick is key - do they solidify defense with one more stud or finally get a playmaker on O.....either way this is a team that could easily compete but everything turns on the QBs....if they stink then no amount of talent will help...and im ok with that..keep filling holes and see what the kids can do....if its a flop then there is a top pick and a very good QB draft waiting for them.

Problem is as Dr alludes there is conflict on the team in that Bowles is in a must win now where MAc may have a longer leash...it's dumb and what did in Rex/Idzik...they should be on the same page or it wont work....hopefully from the way the cuts have gone Mac has authority and is in for the long term not win in 2017.  

whew a lot for MArch but why not - offseason is all we have to look fwd to!  

Marshall released. Well they seem to be doing the right thing.

I read yesterday that Glennon wants to sign somewhere with stability so that he can be successful. I'm guessing that he will likely avoid the Jets now unless they overpay (which would obviously be a mistake by them).

Decker could be next from what I've read, as his injuries put him in jeopardy for the start of the season anyway. 

I like the young WRs on this team, so it will be interesting to see them getting a chance.
What is the latest on Decker?  I've always liked him...if the Jets cut him I would love to see the Pats pick him up...I think he would be a fantastic fit in their offense...the fact he is still recovering (as well as already having made some good money) could make him even more affordable...especially if you don't need him right away...

Odds on favorite to pick #1 in 2018 draft. Front runner for Sam Darnold which is a good thing. Of course, he may not even declare.

What is the latest on Decker?  I've always liked him...if the Jets cut him I would love to see the Pats pick him up...I think he would be a fantastic fit in their offense...the fact he is still recovering (as well as already having made some good money) could make him even more affordable...especially if you don't need him right away...
Hanging out banging his smoking hot wife. 

The latest reports are that he will miss camp and may not be ready for Week 1. I like him a lot as well, but with the Jets current situation I think it would make sense to release him and there's speculation that they will.

Odds on favorite to pick #1 in 2018 draft. Front runner for Sam Darnold which is a good thing. Of course, he may not even declare.
Jets arent that bad or lucky....I think we are looking at worst at another #5-7 pick even if they stink...

Brock O 2.0 - pass on this please......

According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, "multiple NFL sources" anticipate free agent Mike Glennon landing a deal worth $14-15 million per year.
It's only $3-4 million short of last year's Brock Osweiler benchmark. (Osweiler landed $18 million annually from the Texans.) Glennon showed plus decision-making skills as an 18-game starter his first two years in the league, but he is timid in the pocket and a poor downfield passer, offering what amounts to a game-manager skill set. He may end up as 2017's most overpaid free agent.

Kiddnets said:
Brock O 2.0 - pass on this please......

According to Yahoo's Charles Robinson, "multiple NFL sources" anticipate free agent Mike Glennon landing a deal worth $14-15 million per year.
It's only $3-4 million short of last year's Brock Osweiler benchmark. (Osweiler landed $18 million annually from the Texans.) Glennon showed plus decision-making skills as an 18-game starter his first two years in the league, but he is timid in the pocket and a poor downfield passer, offering what amounts to a game-manager skill set. He may end up as 2017's most overpaid free agent.
I'd pass at that price tag.

This is kind of interesting as a stopgap/what the heck type option - assuming he'd come very cheap (7th round pick). At 30 he could at least be part of the future if he showed well and has a cheap contract for a starter ($7MM).

NJ Advance Media's Connor Hughes believes Chase Daniel would be the "best possible option" for the Jets.
The Eagles have made Daniel available for trade with his $7 million salary hefty for a backup, and the Jets are looking for a veteran bridge quarterback as they embark on a rebuild. Daniel has experience in West Coast systems, and new OC John Morton figures to bring one to New York. Both Morton and Daniel cut their teeth under Sean Payton with the Saints. Mar 5 - 11:25 AM

This is kind of interesting as a stopgap/what the heck type option - assuming he'd come very cheap (7th round pick). At 30 he could at least be part of the future if he showed well and has a cheap contract for a starter ($7MM).

im intrigued but agree on only if a late pick/salary dump - I'd even go 6th this yr with a late pick next yr with upside to a 4th if he has a great year. 

I'd pass at that price tag.
I'd pay it, but cite Osweilier as the reason to only guarantee the first year salary with performance options to guarantee future money.  Win/win.  You know the player is always going to bet on himself and if he earns it the team will fall all over themselves to pay him.  There was nothing wrong with taking the shot at Osweiler, and just about any other team would be willing to develop him another year, but he was so, so awful, and they are legit contenders with that defense, it's just untenable for Houston right this moment.  I think it's totally unfair to give up on him after just one year in the system, but I get it given their situation.

Actually, a team flush with cap space should trade for Osweilier.  Houston would only eat $6M in dead money and thus save $10M, I bet they'd give him away at this point, and the new team can walk away next year scot free so there's near zero risk to a non-contender.  If you're a team confident in your QB coach/OC why not?  With the required minimum spending and how much room teams like Cleveland and SFO have I'd consider it if I didn't love my other options.  Spending the 1.02 on a guy you're not in love with, or a 7th on a guy you're not in love with is an easy decision for me.

I'd pay it, but cite Osweilier as the reason to only guarantee the first year salary with performance options to guarantee future money. 
Under those circumstances I may as well, but I'm assuming that he gets at least his first two seasons guaranteed on the open market. I suppose the demand may not be there to the extent some reports suggest, but I've read that there's a few other teams interested as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under those circumstances I may as well, but I'm assuming that he gets at least his first two seasons guaranteed on the open market. I suppose the demand may not be there to the extent some reports suggest, but I've read that there's a few other teams interested as well.
Easy to walk away in that case.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports the Jets do not believe free agent Mike Glennon is worth $14 million per year.

Reports suggest that is what the Bears are willing to pay, meaning the Jets will likely be out of the running. Glennon did have his moments as a young starter in a bad situation with the Bucs, but he has thrown 11 regular-season passes since 2014. Signing him to a big-money deal would certainly be a risk.

Should knock that suspension to half. It didn't help him concentrate on holding on to the football.

If the bidding is at $14M I agree with passing on Glennon...way too risky.  Any thoughts on Plan B?  My fave is Chase Daniels for a late rder.  Young with upside....let him battle it out with Hack/Petty and all 3 very affordable.  McNown/Hoyer are old bones placeholder worst case.  

As for J Marshall - he did show some potential - very poor decision and timing for the kid....may have had a chance to grab a major role...now on outside looking in.  

FA starts in a few hrs - who do you think the 1st target will be?  I can see all in on Jefferson....if they are not in on any big names early could be a sign they will just be conservative and save $ for next yr and go with mid tier FAs.  

I honestly just have no interest in anything the Jets do this off-season. Just don't screw up by spending the farm on Glennon or giving up anything of value for a qb stopgap like cutler. 

Wake me up in a year when things might get relevant again.

If the bidding is at $14M I agree with passing on Glennon...way too risky.  Any thoughts on Plan B?  My fave is Chase Daniels for a late rder.  Young with upside....let him battle it out with Hack/Petty and all 3 very affordable.  McNown/Hoyer are old bones placeholder worst case.  

As for J Marshall - he did show some potential - very poor decision and timing for the kid....may have had a chance to grab a major role...now on outside looking in.  

FA starts in a few hrs - who do you think the 1st target will be?  I can see all in on Jefferson....if they are not in on any big names early could be a sign they will just be conservative and save $ for next yr and go with mid tier FAs.  
I think the Chase Daniel speculation is their best course of action as well. He's a cheap "veteran" that still has some upside, but he wouldn't demand a commitment from the team should Petty or Hack outplay him in training camp and earn the starting job.

He'll be 31 in October!

If the biddinthes at $14M I agree with passin g on Glennon...way too risky.  Any thoughts on Plan B?  My fave is Chase Daniels for a late rder.  Young with upside....let him battle it out with Hack/Petty and all 3 very affordable.  McNown/Hoyer are old bones placeholder worst case.  

Nitpicking but it is Daniel. I don't want the Jets chasing one Daniel let alone multiple ones.

Quarterbacks I would be okay with the Jets signing for a year

Josh McCown

Brian Hoyer

That is it. 

I really don't care what else they do. I am sure it will be stupid, though. 

I've just about had it as a fan.

I really don't care what else they do. I am sure it will be stupid, though. 

I've just about had it as a fan.
You'll probably end up being right (this is the Jets), but from everything I have been reading I'm starting to have some faith that they are going to try and rebuild in the right way. The only free agent they've really been connected with is Jefferson who is a top strong safety and only 25 years old. They already decided to pass on Glennon at his price tag and have made all the correct cuts so far.

It's being reported Glennon going to Bears for around $15M per yr - glad Jets passed on that.

As for Hoyer - I'm ok with him as a cheap vet mentor but it better be Hack or Petty starting

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the 49ers and Jets are showing "strong interest" in free agent Brian Hoyer.

Hoyer played for now-49ers coach Kyle Shanahan in Cleveland back in 2014. Hoyer started 13 games that year, but had a brutal 55.3 completion percentage and 12:13 TD:INT mark. In five starts for the Bears last season, Hoyer completed 67 percent of his throws with six touchdowns and no picks. Hoyer is probably better and will be much cheaper than Mike Glennon.

FA flying - nothing for the Jets except locking up their own mediocre on the OL which had to be done I suppose....

Rebuild is obviously on as they passed on all the big names which Im ok with....but they need to start making some type of moves....rumors of Cutler and Siemian dont exactly get me excited...

The Siemian rumors were batted down (per Chris Mortensen), for now. I still worry about Cutler. Schefter saying the list for him "starts with the Jets."

Last edited by a moderator:
The Siemian rumors were batted down, for now. I still worry about Cutler. Schefter saying the list for him "starts with the Jets."

I have been dead set on Cutler - but if they sign him on a semi-cheap deal that they can easily get out of next year and continue to stay in rebuild mode, that would be fine. If he's a true "stop-gap" guy and they are not signing him in an effort to try and compete, there's really no harm and he may actually help their tanking effort by throwing the ball to the other team.

Jets projected starting line-up as of today - obviously QB is an unknown and the o-line would be a bit shaky but it's not as terrible as one may think (still a bottom team though). Will add through the secondary free agent market and draft as well of course.

:

• QB – Bryce Petty
  • RB – Matt Forte
  • TE – Austin Seferian-Jenkins
  • WR – Quincy Enunwa
  • WR – Robby Anderson
  • WR – Eric Decker
  • LT – Ben Ijalana
  • LG – James Carpenter
  • C – Wesley Johnson
  • RG – Brian Winters
  • RT – Brandon Shell