What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 New York Jets: Robby Anderson has been arrested in Florida for the second straight offseason. This is why we can't have nice things. (1 Viewer)

Looks like the only play makers are Forte and Quincy....maybe Bilal too as they project to be behind a bunch.

Not sold on Robby yet but I've been wrong before.

Even in a crap offense, those guys might have value as SOMEONE will have to score/gain yards right?

Still quiet....I think Cutler is a good QB option but not for a rebuild....I'd much prefer sinking or swimming with the kids or bringing in another young arm with upside to compete...bringing in someone like Cutler guarantees a 6-8 win season and yet more mediocrity.  Either break out or stink and build up!  

I have somebody in a 12 team non-ppr dynasty league really pushing Robby Anderson in a trade for a late round rookie pick. Would you give up a 4th for him? a 5th round rookie pick?

I have somebody in a 12 team non-ppr dynasty league really pushing Robby Anderson in a trade for a late round rookie pick. Would you give up a 4th for him? a 5th round rookie pick?
tough to say....as of now I still dont think the 2017 QB is on the roster...Anderson should be in the rotation regardless and has some nice upside though...id try to get him a bit cheaper now as Jets look toxic...could be a nice dynasty pick up though

tough to say....as of now I still dont think the 2017 QB is on the roster...Anderson should be in the rotation regardless and has some nice upside though...id try to get him a bit cheaper now as Jets look toxic...could be a nice dynasty pick up though
Cheaper than a 5th?  I would jump on that in a flash, why bother getting cheaper and risk losing him?  Hell I'd jump on the 4th in a flash as well. 

Hightower visiting today - man I'd love to sign this beast....hurts a division rival, young and would really cement the defense.....unfortunately I believe he is simply using the Jets to get more $ out of NE...I hope they shock me by not letting him leave the building.  Even if they have to pay him $12M - cut Harris and you replace him with a much younger/better version for only an additional $6M.  

Also with Foles going back to Philly looks like Daniel is close to being cut/dealt....I'd flip a late rder for him.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Hightower visiting today - man I'd love to sign this beast....hurts a division rival, young and would really cement the defense.....unfortunately I believe he is simply using the Jets to get more $ out of NE...I hope they shock me by not letting him leave the building.  Even if they have to pay him $12M - cut Harris and you replace him with a much younger/better version for only an additional $6M.  

Also with Foles going back to Philly looks like Daniel is close to being cut/dealt....I'd flip a late rder for him.  
I like the Chase Daniels idea over Cutty.  I know there are those who are like "go with the young guys and let them sink or swim", but honestly, I don't think we are good enough to support an effort like that.  What would we learn if we go 3-13 and the QB gets killed dropping back all the time?  Better to have someone who can navigate a pocket, and then determine whether it is a team or QB issue (or likely both).  I just don't think you learn anything by throwing one of those guys out there.

Very slow on the QB market for the Jets despite a lot of options....besides media speculation they really arent shown to want anyone available.....maybe the lack of signing a QB is proof that they really like a QB in the draft?  Doubt they carry 4 QBs again and probably dont want to dump Petty so perhaps they draft a QB high after all...

I like the Chase Daniels idea over Cutty.  I know there are those who are like "go with the young guys and let them sink or swim", but honestly, I don't think we are good enough to support an effort like that.  What would we learn if we go 3-13 and the QB gets killed dropping back all the time?  Better to have someone who can navigate a pocket, and then determine whether it is a team or QB issue (or likely both).  I just don't think you learn anything by throwing one of those guys out there.
We are not good enough to support any QB they decide to sign. May as well go young. I don't think we'd learn anything by throwing Cutler, McCown or whatever vet QB is the flavor of the week out there either. What are they worth in terms of games they may win over a young unproven starter? My guess is not many at all

I hope they don't throw huge money at Hightower. Seems kind of pointless considering how far away they are from contending. Better off with budget FAs and building through the draft until we get closer before spending big money on a 27 year old ILB

No chance Hightower signs.  He's using the Jets to drive up his number. 

And since they have no qb, anyone else they sign is kinda pointless

If Hightower wanted to sign, he would have already. He doesnt want to play for us and can anyone blame him? Not a good time right now.

We are not good enough to support any QB they decide to sign. May as well go young. I don't think we'd learn anything by throwing Cutler, McCown or whatever vet QB is the flavor of the week out there either. What are they worth in terms of games they may win over a young unproven starter? My guess is not many at all
It is a slippery slope...I agree with the thought on Cutler and McCown, but management can't trot out Hackenburg or Petty as Plan A...they just can't.  They have to deliver a somewhat watchable product (or intend to), and anything less is unfair to the people buying tickets.  I bleed green, but I also have a lot less on the line than "Sal from Queens" who pays money to support the team.  I see one away game per year with my 12 year old, but that is almost as much about seeing a new city (we went to the Browns game last year), than it is watching the game.  I don't have nearly the amount of skin in the game as a season ticket holder.  I'd love to say, "cut anyone over 28 and trade anything for picks", but that is just not realistic.  The Browns game I went to was barely half filled; they are perpetually rebuilding, but no one cares unless they know the team has a chance to win that day.

I still think if you have someone who can navigate a pocket, you know better whether your line is effective, etc., than some kid who does not know his head from his ### and constantly  gets sacked.

It is a slippery slope...I agree with the thought on Cutler and McCown, but management can't trot out Hackenburg or Petty as Plan A...they just can't.  They have to deliver a somewhat watchable product (or intend to), and anything less is unfair to the people buying tickets.  I bleed green, but I also have a lot less on the line than "Sal from Queens" who pays money to support the team.  I see one away game per year with my 12 year old, but that is almost as much about seeing a new city (we went to the Browns game last year), than it is watching the game.  I don't have nearly the amount of skin in the game as a season ticket holder.  I'd love to say, "cut anyone over 28 and trade anything for picks", but that is just not realistic.  The Browns game I went to was barely half filled; they are perpetually rebuilding, but no one cares unless they know the team has a chance to win that day.

I still think if you have someone who can navigate a pocket, you know better whether your line is effective, etc., than some kid who does not know his head from his ### and constantly  gets sacked.
True fans of the team should understand that a 6-10 record with Jay Cutler starting is not in the team's best interest.

...and honestly the real money comes from the television contracts and not ticket sales. Of course ideally they want a full house each week but how much worse do you really think the attandance will be in December if the team is 2-12 instead of 5-9?

Also I am Sal from Queens (originally) :)  

Chase Daniel would now cost them nothing, since he was releasd, but a cheap veteran minimum contract. At 30, I still think he's the best option for the team as he can start the year off and unless he looks very good (and if so, great) there would be no issue with giving Petty and/or Hack the second half of the season.

Chase Daniel blows and hasn't thrown more than three passes in a season since college. (I exaggerated a little.)

The Jets should sign him and further slow the development of Petty and Hackenberg. 

Well more good news......it's Mehta so take it with a grain of salt but man if this is true....

Daily News - 

The Jets might have a weighty issue on their hands that they frankly don’t need.

The Daily News has learned that defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson isn’t exactly in the best shape of his life at the moment. Several scouts at Temple Pro Day in Philadelphia last week were aghast upon seeing a bloated Wilkerson, who appears to have let himself go after the worst season of his career.

Wilkerson, who starred at Temple before the Jets took him in the first round in 2011, looked like he had been plucked from the nearest buffet, according to people in attendance.

One scout texted me a picture of a Goodyear blimp with an accompanying: “Sloppy.”

“He looked like a pedestrian with a huge gut,” another scout said. “I was shocked.”

Jets sign Morris Clairborne....solid young CB...biggest problem is staying healthy...no numbers in yet but Im a fan of this one as well....

Well more good news......it's Mehta so take it with a grain of salt but man if this is true....

Daily News - 

The Jets might have a weighty issue on their hands that they frankly don’t need.

The Daily News has learned that defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson isn’t exactly in the best shape of his life at the moment. Several scouts at Temple Pro Day in Philadelphia last week were aghast upon seeing a bloated Wilkerson, who appears to have let himself go after the worst season of his career.

Wilkerson, who starred at Temple before the Jets took him in the first round in 2011, looked like he had been plucked from the nearest buffet, according to people in attendance.

One scout texted me a picture of a Goodyear blimp with an accompanying: “Sloppy.”

“He looked like a pedestrian with a huge gut,” another scout said. “I was shocked.”
If any reporter deserves to be punched in the face, it's Womanish. He's known for trying to trash players that won't talk to him and he's infamous for his anonymous sources.

Wilkerson posted a pic last week on Instragram where he looked the same as always. I guess it could have been an old pic, but who knows. Womanish is a dirtbag.

I like the Claiborne signing today, but I haven't seen any contract info yet.

The Jets really do have the worst beat reporters. Cimini is a smarmy  (but not at all clever like he thinks he is) hack. 

He ends every article for espn with some stupid little one liner that you just know he thinks is HILARIOUS 

If any reporter deserves to be punched in the face, it's Womanish. He's known for trying to trash players that won't talk to him and he's infamous for his anonymous sources.

Wilkerson posted a pic last week on Instragram where he looked the same as always. I guess it could have been an old pic, but who knows. Womanish is a dirtbag.

I like the Claiborne signing today, but I haven't seen any contract info yet.
Mehta is a pot stirrer - it's an embaressment having him cover the team.

Chase Daniel blows and hasn't thrown more than three passes in a season since college. (I exaggerated a little.)

The Jets should sign him and further slow the development of Petty and Hackenberg. 
I'm not sure how he would do that - especially if he did "blow". He'd be dirt cheap so it would be easy for them to turn the reins over to Petty or Hack. 

Josh McCown has at least played and could be a good influence. Daniel, Hackenberg, and Petty together is like having three inexperienced passers. I realize one has been in the league since 1997 (exaggerating a tad), but this wouldn't be good. It is best to have one guy with legitimate experience who could impart some wisdom on the younger quarterbacks. With McCown it is not playoff-winning experience but it is something. With Daniel it is nothing. "Bryce, here is how you hold a tablet on the sideline during a game." 

Daniel I could live with. Give him the first half of the year and then throw hackenberg into the fire. If he doesn't show a pulse after a year and half in bubble wrap, you know what you have

Daniel I could live with. Give him the first half of the year and then throw hackenberg into the fire. If he doesn't show a pulse after a year and half in bubble wrap, you know what you have
Yeah, I like this too...I'd almost be "scared" that McCown would get us to 6-10, and that really gets us nowhere.  If Daniel does the same, at least we know there could be a future.  And I agree with skipping Petty for Hackenberg.  

Nothing from petty showed me that he's a potential starter,  even a below average one. Backup? Maybe but that's obviously not worth any game time with the Jets situation.

Hackenberg was known for a strong arm and an advanced ability to read a defense for a young players  ( his freshman year before Obrien left). If thats not the case, I think it will show pretty quickly. If he can't at least show some progress in his footwork and accuracy after a year and half, it's time to cut bait

agree with all of this...Daniel is an unknown but young enough if he looks good they can roll with him a few yrs...I'd expect him to be up and down enough where Hack gets a shot next year...definitely need to know if they have a QB or not going into 2018 draft....McCown and Cutler would be good enough to win 6-8 games...whats the point!  

I'd rather have Daniel than McCown based on the unknown being better than the poop that is known. Unfortunately it will most likely turn out that he is poop, too. Need to find out about Hackenberg at some point though.

I don't want Daniel or McCown starting. Petty or Hackenberg should be starting. I believe McCown would be a better mentor/tablet holder. 

And it's not Jay Cutler. :thumbup:  That's my silver lining.
Deal is for $6 mil guaranteed plus incentives.

Also agree with Fariq's comments about the value of his experience and being a good influence.

Seems like Mccown was best option for what Jets needed.  He's not terrible and seems like like in the best position to play the mentor role.

Josh McCowan is a very good signing.  His primary concern is durability but he is an excellent influence and locker room presence.  He can start in a pinch but his primary role should be to nurture a young QB.  Hue Jackson liked him so much that he wanted him on his coaching staff but Josh still wanted to play so good luck to him.  Wishing him nothing but the best. 

McCown is fine - mostly because he won't last three quarters before getting injured so Petty or Hack will be forced to play. He's more like a glorified QB coach. 

I also put it in the plus column that it's not Cutler.

agree with all the comments....not a sexy signing but it is telling....it's time for the kids to sink or swim....can't imagine they are expecting much if anything out of him besides mentoring.....if the kids dont beat him outright in camp that is pretty telling.  

And he has a sense of humor.

https://twitter.com/JoshMcCown12/status/784515785548976128

ETA- Here are the incentives. Unless they make the playoffs, they are capped at $2 mil.:
Per the terms of the contract: McCown will receive $125,000 for each game that he plays 50 percent or more of the snaps — at a $2 million maximum. He’ll also receive an additional $2 million if the Jets make the playoffs with him playing 65 percent of the time, another $1.5 million if they reach the Super Bowl with him playing 65 percent of the time and $1.5 million if they win the Super Bowl with him playing 65 percent of the time.

And he has a sense of humor.

https://twitter.com/JoshMcCown12/status/784515785548976128

ETA- Here are the incentives. Unless they make the playoffs, they are capped at $2 mil.:
Per the terms of the contract: McCown will receive $125,000 for each game that he plays 50 percent or more of the snaps — at a $2 million maximum. He’ll also receive an additional $2 million if the Jets make the playoffs with him playing 65 percent of the time, another $1.5 million if they reach the Super Bowl with him playing 65 percent of the time and $1.5 million if they win the Super Bowl with him playing 65 percent of the time.
I wonder how much laughter there was in the room when they were discussing those Super Bowl incentives.

I spent McCown day watching more OJ Howard...... Just put on DraftBreakdown Vids and let it play. You watch a game of his like his Auburn game,

JESUS... You watch the entire game and it should be set to music like a highlight tape.. The Blocking, the catches, the YAC...

I see a lot of Jet fans on the Safety Hooker....  

Anyone you pick at 6 has to be All-World so either way you better be getting Greg Olson or Eric Berry....

And I'd hope Bowles would nail a Safety pick - tho that blew up in my face when I hoped Rex could pick a LB

That said.... Having that Top tier TE could do wonders for whatever young Jet QB they attempt to develop... Add that player to the young WR core, add that blocking to the Run Game!!!!

So, On this Day (subject to change) My pick at 6 is OJ Howard...

Granted trading back and getting a TE AND a S or OLB is ideal

Isn't there a rule that the incentives have to be realistic to count against the cap?
I'm not sure - but even though we all know the Jets' have no shot at the Super Bowl (heck the playoffs are even a joke), it's arguable that it is a "realistic" possibility.

I'm not sure - but even though we all know the Jets' have no shot at the Super Bowl (heck the playoffs are even a joke), it's arguable that it is a "realistic" possibility.

I bet that was supposed to be some kind of funny..... like Funny Ha ha

Isn't there a rule that the incentives have to be realistic to count against the cap?
There are "Not Likely To Be Earned (LTBE)" incentives and they don't count against the current year's cap, but common sense isn't a factor - they are based on the player's and/or team's previous seasons' performance.  Even so, if a player does hit an NLTBE incentive, the money is charged to the team's cap the following season so there's not a lot of incentive to load up the contract with NLTBE just to bypass the cap.  The NFL has pretty much nailed down any way to cheat the cap - if it's paid, it's hitting the cap.

I like the idea of a trade down for the stud TE...pick up another 2d rder and fill a position that has been a literal gaping hole since the 1980s...miss Mickey Shuler!  

Users who are viewing this thread