What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread *** (2 Viewers)

Golden Knights is the worst name in US pro sports with the exception of the Nuggets. I think the logo is cool and they should have modified it and went with something like the Spartans. Hell the Las Vegas shovel knights would have been better.

How does something like that get approved?

How long until they shorten it to just the knights, like Anaheim did, or change the name altogether?
maybe try google?

The NHL Draft Lottery set the order of the first 15 picks, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs established the final 16 selections.The losing conference finalists, the Ottawa Senators and Anaheim Ducks, received picks No. 28 and No. 29, respectively.

The New Jersey Devils won the draft lottery and have the No. 1 selection. They could choose either Brandon center Nolan Patrick or Halifax center Nico Hischier, who are the projected to be top two selections. Patrick (6-foot-2, 198 pounds) and Hischier (6-1, 178) are No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, in NHL Central Scouting's final ranking of North American skaters.

The Philadelphia Flyers won the No. 2 pick in the lottery, and the Dallas Stars won the No. 3 pick. The Vegas Golden Knights, who begin play in October as the first NHL expansion team since the Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild entered the League in 2000, will pick No. 6 in the first round.

The Stars, Arizona Coyotes, and St. Louis Blues each have two picks in the first round.

The Stars will choose No. 3 and No. 29, a selection they acquired from the Ducks in a trade for forward Patrick Eaves on Feb. 24.

The Coyotes have their own pick, No. 7, and own No. 23, on of three draft choices they acquired from the Wild in a trade on Feb. 26 for forwards Martin Hanzal and Ryan White and a 2017 fourth-round pick.

The Blues have the No. 20 and No. 27 picks, the second of which they acquired along with forwards Zach Sanford and Brad Malone from the Washington Capitals in a trade for defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk and goalie Pheonix Copley on Feb. 27.

Rounds 2-7 are June 24 in Chicago (10 a.m. ET; NHLN, SN).

Here is the updated order:

1-New Jersey Devils

2-Philadelphia Flyers

3-Dallas Stars

4-Colorado Avalanche

5-Vancouver Canucks

6-Vegas Golden Knights

7-Arizona Coyotes

8-Buffalo Sabres

9-Detroit Red Wings

10-Florida Panthers

11-Los Angeles Kings

12-Carolina Hurricanes

13-Winnipeg Jets

14-Tampa Bay Lightning

15-New York Islanders

16-Calgary Flames

17-Toronto Maple Leafs

18-Boston Bruins

19-San Jose Sharks

20-St. Louis Blues

21-New York Rangers

22-Edmonton Oilers

23-Arizona Coyotes (from Minnesota)

24-Columbus Blue Jackets

25-Montreal Canadiens

26-Chicago Blackhawks

27-St. Louis Blues (from Washington)

28-Ottawa Senators

29-Dallas Stars (from Anaheim)

30-Nashville Predators

31-Pittsburgh Penguins

Adidas will officially unveil the look for all 31 NHL teams on June 20 at an event in Las Vegas. 12 teams, plus the expansion Vegas Golden Knights, would get brand new uniforms in coordination with the Adidas switch. The list: Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Florida, Minnesota, Nashville, New Jersey and Ottawa.

Billy Bats said:
They discussed this on TSN hockey hour one day, suggesting that why not take 4-5 goalies if there's no worthwhile forwards to select, then flip a couple goalies for better assets/draft picks. 
Yeah that's why I think Howard could be in play for them.  It's probably the best strategy given the confines of the draft, they can probably get some good D men and some goalies but the forwards are gonna be few and far between since the entry level contract guys are protected, and teams are gonna sit on their top seven.  They get six goalies, trade them back to the teams they got them from or onto someone else for draft picks.  They are also likely to take some crusty well known vets just to get the guy from Henderson to have some interest besides going to the game to see Rangers fans fighting with Flyers fans in the stands. 

Billy Bats said:
Adidas will officially unveil the look for all 31 NHL teams on June 20 at an event in Las Vegas. 12 teams, plus the expansion Vegas Golden Knights, would get brand new uniforms in coordination with the Adidas switch. The list: Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Florida, Minnesota, Nashville, New Jersey and Ottawa.
Minnesota's change is reportedly just making the green alternate the regular home jersey.  everyone loves the green

if McPhee is smart he's going to take on everyone's #### in exchange for as many picks and prospects he can get his hands on and Vegas will be a very good team 3-5 years from now.

northern exposure said:
chet said:
Hawks apparently looking to "dump" a core player.  Apparently it's Seabs but not confirmed.
Dreger says it is more likely Hjalmarsson gets moved than Seabrook.
That's what I would expect. Kruger will also likely be gone.

ETA Per LeBrun 0 chance Seabrook is moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill bite @Dickie Dunn style and post what I think the Rangers will do. Pretty sure most will agree but maybe @RUSF18 @jamny sees it differently

FORWARDS (7)

Rick Nash (NMC)
Derek Stepan
Matts Zuucarello
Chris Krieder
Kevin Hayes
JT Miller
Mika Zibanejad

So that leaves a group of Jesper Fast, Michael Grabner and Oscar Lindberg available for Vegas. I would not protect any of these guys over the 7 keepers already listed. If Nash did not have a NMC then I think I would keep Lindberg out of those three. Maybe Vegas wants a PP sniper like B Piri and that will allow the Rangers to keep all three (wishful thinking). Maybe Gorton offers a second rounder to entice it. 

Among those not eligible: Pavel Buchnevich, Jimmy Vesey, 

DEFENSEMEN (3)

Marc Staal (NMC)
Dan Girardi (NMC)
Ryan Mcdonaugh  

Nick Holden and Kevin Klein will be availble for Vegas as of now. However, there is some chatter that one of Staal or Girardi will be bought out.

Neitther was asked to waive their NMC in an attempt to either leave them unprotected or facilitate a trade with Vegas.

Among those not eligible: Brady Skeij

GOALIE (1)

King

Anti Raanta is a big name right now with teams like Winnipeg and Calgary trying to trade for him before the expansion draft. It will be interesting to see what Gorton does here because while MAF is the crown jewel, Raanta can be a great backup, decent starter, or trade bait like you guys are talking about

Anti Raanta is a big name right now with teams like Winnipeg and Calgary trying to trade for him before the expansion draft. It will be interesting to see what Gorton does here because while MAF is the crown jewel, Raanta can be a great backup, decent starter, or trade bait like you guys are talking about
I've read that Vegas in very interested in Grubauer from Washington too. He's only 25 and has looked pretty good caddying for Holtby.

Well per LeBrun he's not moving, he's pretty much another C and is the voice in the locker room. Even more so than Toews, which surprises me.
Yeah, I don't see them making any major moves with any of the core guys, despite the rumblings from both Bowman and the fanbase, personally. Be interesting to see what they do with the cap situation, though.

Ill bite @Dickie Dunn style and post what I think the Rangers will do. Pretty sure most will agree but maybe @RUSF18 @jamny sees it differently
Can't argue with your list but I could see a surprise move in exposing Stepan and holding Grabner. I'd love to see them be able to move Nash and keep Lindberg. I like Fast but I think he's reached his ceiling. Then just pray that Raanta isn't picked.

But as it stands now, I think they'll lose Grabner.

Can't argue with your list but I could see a surprise move in exposing Stepan and holding Grabner. I'd love to see them be able to move Nash and keep Lindberg. I like Fast but I think he's reached his ceiling. Then just pray that Raanta isn't picked.

But as it stands now, I think they'll lose Grabner.
Lindberg is the one I'd prefer to keep most, then Fast, then Grabner. I can see them taking Grabner if they choose to avoid Raanta just for him having the most short term value to either flip for something else or kick in some immediate goals. But he has regression written all over him.

If we see Stepan exposed, Gorton has something interesting up his sleeve. 

Lindberg is the one I'd prefer to keep most, then Fast, then Grabner. I can see them taking Grabner if they choose to avoid Raanta just for him having the most short term value to either flip for something else or kick in some immediate goals. But he has regression written all over him.

If we see Stepan exposed, Gorton has something interesting up his sleeve. 
Lindberg played 1 game in the 2014-2015 season. Is that what cost the Rangers the ability to protect him?

Anyone active on the Blackhawks message board here?  I logged in yesterday for the first time in over a month and it was fine and then yesterday afternoon, got the following message:

This Community is Not Available

Please contact the community owner for assistance.

Did they shut them down?

Anyone active on the Blackhawks message board here?  I logged in yesterday for the first time in over a month and it was fine and then yesterday afternoon, got the following message:

Did they shut them down?
I got that message on the Ducks board as well. 

Did they shut them down?
wayward ditch pigs took over

They're saying those pics are sneak peeks at the actual jerseys. :shrug:  
ick, I hope not.  I haven't seen anything saying that though.  all that was in that link was random twitter people comments.  Russo reported a while ago that they were likely just getting rid of the red.

I got an error message yesterday when I tried to click the link to the Conn Smythe story that someone posted. I did find it, but I had to go to the main page. So yes, maybe some offseason changes/upgrades?

ick, I hope not.  I haven't seen anything saying that though.  all that was in that link was random twitter people comments.  Russo reported a while ago that they were likely just getting rid of the red.
I think we should have dark navy breezers/top combo, with "starry sky" on shoulders, and midnight blue wild logo....intimidating, and delicious.

AcerFC said:
I dont know. If Vegas wants Fast (and I am not sure why they would not) then waiting an extra month for him doesnt seem too bad to me. I think Fast showed his upside in the playoffs this year. I would think they would stay away from Grabner because he had his best year in the league. I think its Fast and Lindberg. 

From what I heard, neither Staal or Girardi has been asked to waive their nmc  :wall:
You'd think it would be a no brainer to ask them to waive their NMCs.  I hear that the reason they weren't asked was that it may be viewed as insulting to those players.  If that is the case then there is an argument that neither will be bought out.

I got an error message yesterday when I tried to click the link to the Conn Smythe story that someone posted. I did find it, but I had to go to the main page. So yes, maybe some offseason changes/upgrades?
:lmao:   I got that also. but didn't want to mention it in fear.

Sounds like Vegas is going to cash in on a lot of favors.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

It's believed ANA has a pre-arranged deal in place with VGK so it isn't necessary to ask Kevin Bieksa to waive his NMC.

You'd think it would be a no brainer to ask them to waive their NMCs.  I hear that the reason they weren't asked was that it may be viewed as insulting to those players.  If that is the case then there is an argument that neither will be bought out.
It wasn't really necessary because if they could expose Staal and Girardi to the draft, there aren't other defensemen that they would choose to protect over the forwards. 

Sounds like Vegas is going to cash in on a lot of favors.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

It's believed ANA has a pre-arranged deal in place with VGK so it isn't necessary to ask Kevin Bieksa to waive his NMC.
smart.  sounds like McPhee is going to take full advantage.

smart.  sounds like McPhee is going to take full advantage.
Vegas hired the right man for the job. I remember reading that Pierre McGuire was being considered for the GM position with Las Vegas. If he was dealing with the other GMs right now, all he would get would be atomic wedgies and swirlies.

Vegas hired the right man for the job. I remember reading that Pierre McGuire was being considered for the GM position with Las Vegas. If he was dealing with the other GMs right now, all he would get would be atomic wedgies and swirlies.
He would also laugh at being offered guys who played for the whitby mini mite C team when they were 6. 

So if you're the GK, go young or old/expensive vets?  I think it is wrong to do both.  Personally I go young with upside everywhere.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
So if you're the GK, go young or old/expensive vets?  I think it is wrong to do both.  Personally I go young with upside everywhere.
You take a pretty balanced approach. There's no sense in taking the expensive guys (the difficult to move contract types) without getting something else from the team to do so. They still have their own salary floor to get to so they can't go too cheap, so maybe adding one or two of those guys gets you a couple extra assets. Then you skew towards young/upside with cheaper veterans that you can hopefully flip down the road. Mentioned him before but Grabner is making no money, at worst could be flipped for a decent pick to a contender interested in his PK ability, with the added upside of him approaching his play from this year which would only increase that return.

Dan Girardi bought out, here's the damage:

James Mirtle @mirtle

Dan Girardi's buyout cap hit:

Year 1: $2,611,111 Year 2 & 3: $3,611,111 Year 4, 5 & 6: $1,111,111

Dan Girardi bought out, here's the damage:

James Mirtle @mirtle

Dan Girardi's buyout cap hit:

Year 1: $2,611,111 Year 2 & 3: $3,611,111 Year 4, 5 & 6: $1,111,111
Was $5.5MM for 3 more years.

cap savings:

17-18: $2.9MM
18-19: $1.9MM