What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread *** (3 Viewers)

From one of the Flyers bloggers / stats guys

@BSH_Charlie: Dan Girardi has been one of the worst defensemen in the league for three years running and NYR will be significantly better without him.

Mckenzie is tweeting that Stepan is being dangled which makes sense since his NMC starts next year

Maybe Wininpeg makes a Stepan and Raanta trade for Trouba

From one of the Flyers bloggers / stats guys

@BSH_Charlie: Dan Girardi has been one of the worst defensemen in the league for three years running and NYR will be significantly better without him.
while terrible, their blue line pipeline is weak so they aren't going to be filling his spot with a cheap, better alternative.  they'll end up signing some depth plug for that spot who will be comparable anyway if not slightly worse.

on a related note it sounds like they might get lucky and have Klein retire his cap hit away which is helpful. 

Rangers really have one of the worst cap situations in the league.

while terrible, their blue line pipeline is weak so they aren't going to be filling his spot with a cheap, better alternative.  they'll end up signing some depth plug for that spot who will be comparable anyway if not slightly worse.

on a related note it sounds like they might get lucky and have Klein retire his cap hit away which is helpful. 

Wings are not much better.  Some terrible contracts given out in just the last couple of years. :yucky:

Other factor is if they didn't buy him out, he'd be using a protected spot in expansion draft.

Other factor is if they didn't buy him out, he'd be using a protected spot in expansion draft.
true, but that only matters if you consider potentially losing Nick Holden a big deal, which I don't.  and he's unlikely to get taken anyway.  Skjei is exempt.

Clendening too I guess.  low value though, what is he really at this point. 

or they could have a trade teed up that they would need that spot I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Praise the hockey lords. What a bad contract
And amazingly enough, it was the better of the two bad contracts which made it more palatable to a buyout. Staal's buyout would have lasted until 2034 (approximately). 

Weak in high end top pairing type talent, maybe, but they have a couple nice chips and also added 3 or 4 guys in FA over the past year or so who might not be ready to play next year but should be contending for spots in 18-19. Going only on what I've read, it seems they think this Bereglazov kid is closest and there's another Russian Zoborosomething that they like a lot.  

Either way, Girardi had to go. 

Something tells me the rangers will make an offer to shattenkirk that will be below what he wants. They wont press. They will resign Smith and wait for the Russian. 

It wasn't really necessary because if they could expose Staal and Girardi to the draft, there aren't other defensemen that they would choose to protect over the forwards. 
I was clinging more to the slim hope that either of the two would be selected and the associated contract would be taken off the books.

Stranger things have happened (see Scott Gomez trade).

@withrowzone: “We will protect 4 defensemen in the expansion draft. And that runs the risk of us losing a really good forward.”- @PredsNHL GM David Poile

"#mnwild trades big center Tyler Graovac to the #capitals for a 2018 5th-round pick. Fresh start for 24yo after 7 goals, 57 games with MIN"

from Russo

"#mnwild trades big center Tyler Graovac to the #capitals for a 2018 5th-round pick. Fresh start for 24yo after 7 goals, 57 games with MIN"

from Russo
nice low risk move for the Caps IMO.  always liked him.  has pretty good hands and more skill than you'd expect.  size and some grit too.  blew his opportunity this year, was a passenger too often and he got squeezed out.  I was surprised he cleared waivers.  I think he's NHL caliber, I think he'll stick in a new spot.

nice low risk move for the Caps IMO.  always liked him.  has pretty good hands and more skill than you'd expect.  size and some grit too.  blew his opportunity this year, was a passenger too often and he got squeezed out.  I was surprised he cleared waivers.  I think he's NHL caliber, I think he'll stick in a new spot.
sounds like Caps made this deal to avoid having to expose 2 of Eller, Wilson, Beagle. So, Vegas could still get one of those guys or Graovac I guess.

Notable oddity: The last player picked was Guy Lafleur, who was already retired. The rules said the North Stars had to take someone from Quebec, who were terrible, and there wasn’t an option to pass, so the Stars took a guy who’d already been in the Hall of Fame for three years. But that screwed up Lafleur’s plans for a front-office job in Quebec, so the two teams had to work out a trade to send him back to the Nordiques.

:lmao: :lmao:  

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC

All signs point to Phil Housley being next head coach of the Buffalo Sabres. Question is how soon it will happen.

There ya go Rud.

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC

All signs point to Phil Housley being next head coach of the Buffalo Sabres. Question is how soon it will happen.

There ya go Rud.
pretty excited. also happy that they didn't even interview Tocchet despite speculation he'd be on the short list.

Notable oddity: The last player picked was Guy Lafleur, who was already retired. The rules said the North Stars had to take someone from Quebec, who were terrible, and there wasn’t an option to pass, so the Stars took a guy who’d already been in the Hall of Fame for three years. But that screwed up Lafleur’s plans for a front-office job in Quebec, so the two teams had to work out a trade to send him back to the Nordiques.

:lmao: :lmao:  
Speaking of the Flower, here are some of my buds with Guy earlier this week.

What's up with 2?  As you well know I am not a fashion guy but black jacket and blue pants?  I am color blind but not that color blind.  Did he tuck in his tie too?   
:lol:   Mr Hedge Fund trader.  

No idea.  I wasn't there but it was a golf outing so I think there's some leeway.

holy cow

The Canadiens acquire Jonathan Drouin + a cond. 6th-round pick (2018) from TBL, in return for M. Sergachev + a cond. 2nd-round pick (2018).

Somebody talk me off the ledge here 
Frees up a protected spot in the expansion draft since Sergachev is exempt. Very very good D prospect. Should help with cap issues too. 

Tough to lose Drouin though. 

Sergachev is going to be very good and the second rounder next year will be high since the Habs are not making the playoffs. :)

Montreal definitely needed to get smaller, though, so this is a good move for them :D

I meant to post that last night. The story of the "roulette wheel" and reading it incorrectly and originally giving the top pick to the Burtons instead of the Ruds had me :lmao: .

The '67 draft was before my time but I was talking to someone older at work about it last night. It's amazing to think there were enough players in the systems of the Original Six to stock six new teams.

Frees up a protected spot in the expansion draft since Sergachev is exempt. Very very good D prospect. Should help with cap issues too. 

Tough to lose Drouin though. 
Still think they could have received more in return but I guess that shows values of expansion spot.

Is this where we second guess that the Bolts should have moved him at deadline?

Users who are viewing this thread