What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Raiders - how's the 2018 draft looking? (1 Viewer)

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/13/aldon-smith-investigation-domestic-incident/

[SIZE=1.2em]Oakland Raiders star[/SIZE] Aldon Smith[SIZE=1.2em] [/SIZE][SIZE=1.2em]is being investigated for what we're told is a domestic incident ...[/SIZE][SIZE=1.2em] [/SIZE]TMZ Sports[SIZE=1.2em] [/SIZE][SIZE=1.2em]has learned. [/SIZE]

Sources tell us cops in San Francisco were called early Saturday morning and responded to a home in the city. Smith owns a house in San Francisco.

Police interviewed Smith and the alleged victim and took a report. The case is under "active investigation."

Smith has not been arrested. 

An arrest would be catastrophic for Smith's career -- he's currently suspended by the NFLfor multiple violations of the league's substance abuse policy. 

Smith was expected to be reinstated in March, on the assumption he stayed out of trouble. An arrest could undo his prospects.

Smith has had several run-ins with police since he was drafted by the 49ers back in 2011. 

Smith showed extreme potential when he was on the field -- he was the NFC Defensive Player of the Year back in 2012. 

A rep for Smith had no comment.

Well $#%@!

another article on the Vegas debacle, er, situation...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/adelson-spokesman-on-raiders-vegas-gaffe-im-still-trying-to-figure-out-what-the-hell-they-were-thinking-160050077.html

What's so frustrating to me is that I thought, with Mark Davis at the helm, we had entered the era of Modern Raider Football where we have an owner that doesn't meddle on the field and with player signings, draft, etc. Then he goes out and seemingly lines up this very nice deal in Vegas, with a huge chunk of public money and a deep-pockets investor, and it looked like we were this close to having an offer that the other owners couldn't refuse heading into the owners meeting in March.

Then Mark goes all "Al" on us, pulls the stunt with the lease agreement ($1 rent, full control of naming, etc) and sets this whole deal back to the start, or at least it seems that way.

Even if he somehow does pull this thing off in the 11th hour with another investor jumping in, I don't like how this went down at all, where our owner looks like a total dolt and drags our Raiders right back down into the gutter with the Stupid Franchises. I thought we had clawed our way out of that gutter but I guess not...
Most of this information coming out is from the Adelsons side of things plus through the Review Journal which Adelson owns by the way. I would take a lot of this with a grain of salt. Davis has taken the high road while it feels like to me that Adelson is throwing a Billionaires tantrum because he didn't get his way.

Most of this information coming out is from the Adelsons side of things plus through the Review Journal which Adelson owns by the way. I would take a lot of this with a grain of salt. Davis has taken the high road while it feels like to me that Adelson is throwing a Billionaires tantrum because he didn't get his way.
I hope you're but this certainly doesn't feel like a situation that we've handled correctly. 

Maurice Moton ‏@MoeMoton · 15h15 hours ago 
Here's Reggie McKenzie's underrated genius as a capologist. The #Raiders owe the least amount of dead money in the NFL per spotrac ($55,175)

Since he was drafted 7th overall by the 9ers in 2011, Aldon was:

• Arrested in 2012 for DUI
  • Involved in a fight at his house where he got stabbed
  • Charged in 2013 with 3 felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon related to the stabbing incident mentioned above.
  • Arrested in 2013 for DUI and possession of marijuana
  • Arrested in 2014 at LAX for making an alleged “bomb threat”
  • Arrested in 2015 for DUI, hit-and-run, and vandalism
  • Now this.
We have put up with him because of the promise of his stellar 33.5 sacks in his first two years (the second one which he was selected for the Pro Bowl), but his last game was November 2015 -- will be ~year and 9 months between his last meaningful full speed NFL game. If he takes the field this year, he'll be 28. You simply can't chase what is now the distant past.

I love the notion of second chances, and the Raiders are famous for being a spot to take these chances on players, and have said players rebound.

But we should move on. Any football player has an infinitesimal shot at making the NFL, let alone being a starter and stand-out pro-bowler. Average pro career is 3.3, which goes up to around 9-10 when a player is a high draft pick/pro bowler. Even that is a pretty short career to set yourself up for life.

Especially after this last suspension, if Aldon doesn't care enough to adjust, however he has to do it, to stay out of trouble for the sake of his own life, future, and career, then why should we care?

I, for one, am done with the guy. The team should be too.  

Man, I don't like seeing news feeds on my Facebook showing our All-Pro gaurd doing back flips off the highest "swing" in the world while on vacation in New Zealand  :shock:

Lot of flirting around with the idea of targeting Tony Jefferson as a FA -- I like this year's safety class but no question landing a guy like Jefferson would be a huge bump in an area of need still -- would love seeing mighty mice Joseph and Jefferson dish out punishment, and Jefferson would definitely help in coverage on TEs and supporting LBs in the run game.

That said, can't see how Arizona doesn't find a way to lock him up. If not, would love to see that happen.

Also heard whispers of Adrian Peterson -- god, I hope that doesn't happen. Would much rather roll the dice with Doug Martin if we're looking to FA to fill Lat Murray's eventual/inevitable departure. Just don't feel good about Peterson's future -- and that doesn't count the whole disgusting child abuse baggage he carries. 

Here are the Raiders picks (I went looking for this, so figured I'd share and ensure I knew where to back to find it easily):

Rnd 1 Pick 24 Overall 24

Rnd 2 Pick 24 Overall 56

Rnd 3 Pick 24 Overall 88

Rnd 4 Pick 23 Overall 130

Rnd 5 Pick 24 Overall 168

Rnd 6 Pick 24 Overall 208

Rnd 7 Pick 24 Overall 242

Rnd 7 Pick 26 Overall 244 (From Seattle)

Here are the Raiders picks (I went looking for this, so figured I'd share and ensure I knew where to back to find it easily):

Rnd 1 Pick 24 Overall 24

Rnd 2 Pick 24 Overall 56

Rnd 3 Pick 24 Overall 88

Rnd 4 Pick 23 Overall 130

Rnd 5 Pick 24 Overall 168

Rnd 6 Pick 24 Overall 208

Rnd 7 Pick 24 Overall 242

Rnd 7 Pick 26 Overall 244 (From Seattle)
Should be able to get some immediate help for the D with those first 3 picks.  I know that it is possible to hit at any round but I normally only count on the first 3 rounds. 

Lot of flirting around with the idea of targeting Tony Jefferson as a FA -- I like this year's safety class but no question landing a guy like Jefferson would be a huge bump in an area of need still -- would love seeing mighty mice Joseph and Jefferson dish out punishment, and Jefferson would definitely help in coverage on TEs and supporting LBs in the run game.

That said, can't see how Arizona doesn't find a way to lock him up. If not, would love to see that happen.

Also heard whispers of Adrian Peterson -- god, I hope that doesn't happen. Would much rather roll the dice with Doug Martin if we're looking to FA to fill Lat Murray's eventual/inevitable departure. Just don't feel good about Peterson's future -- and that doesn't count the whole disgusting child abuse baggage he carries. 
I've heard some crazy numbers for Jefferson, I doubt we would pay top dollar, and I think team might like a FS type more.

Crowell given a 2nd round tender - I wouldn't be opposed at taking a run at him.  He's probably as good a talent as we'll see there aside from Mixon who we won't draft, and he's proven, with not a lot of mileage.  Big upgrade from Murray and I'd love to see him behind our OL.  He averaged 4.8 YPC for Cleveland after losing Schwartz and Mack for gosh sakes.  Shouldn't cost a ton on a RFA offer.  Cleveland can match anything of course, but maybe this it their way of looking for a pick for him to justify Fournette at 12 or earlier?   Either way it can't hurt to offer him, worst case is Cleveland matches and we're not out anything.

They could soend that pick more wisely. This draft is loaded with RB potential. Proirities should be to improve the middle of the defense (either by upgrading the MLB or DT position), and improving the pass rush. I hope they upgrade the right tackle position as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What about ADP coming here if Murray leaves ? Is it even worth looking into ?
It's fair to wonder if he has anything left.  He's going to command decent money.  

To my mind, we are looking for a hammer, to be part of a 3-headed RB committee.  I don't envision the team committing big money to that spot.  The money is spent on O-line, so we can plug in a lesser RB there.

I am more interested in Eddie Lacy than ADP.

I can't see AP landing up as a Raider, 3 reasons:

1.  Doesn't fit the MO of RM.  (see what I did there)  RM hasn't brought in the veteran to the same extent that Al Davis used to.   AP isn't going to take a 1 year prove it deal, because he won't have to.  And RM isn't going to overpay for a position that isn't glaring or that he isn't desperate on. 

2. AP will go to a 'contender'.  I quote that because who knows who will end up being a true contender at the end of the next season.  All I know is that I'd be willing to bet that AP doesn't have the Raiders ranking in his top 5.

3. AP's charges, proven or not, of abusing his kids.  Don't know all the details of his case, don't care to find out or argue over them.  Just know that it's the Raiders core to not touch players a history of being the abuser.

I am thinking the team gets to play Ozzie Newsome this year. Play rover at the end of the round, see why value falls

I can't see AP landing up as a Raider, 3 reasons:

1.  Doesn't fit the MO of RM.  (see what I did there)  RM hasn't brought in the veteran to the same extent that Al Davis used to.   AP isn't going to take a 1 year prove it deal, because he won't have to.  And RM isn't going to overpay for a position that isn't glaring or that he isn't desperate on. 

2. AP will go to a 'contender'.  I quote that because who knows who will end up being a true contender at the end of the next season.  All I know is that I'd be willing to bet that AP doesn't have the Raiders ranking in his top 5.

3. AP's charges, proven or not, of abusing his kids.  Don't know all the details of his case, don't care to find out or argue over them.  Just know that it's the Raiders core to not touch players a history of being the abuser.
:confused: we were trying like hell to get Aldon Smith back last year for the playoffs, his history is well documented a few posts up.

:confused: we were trying like hell to get Aldon Smith back last year for the playoffs, his history is well documented a few posts up.
As others have posted already the missing element in Aldon's checkered past was anything related to domestic violence.

I think the move with Aldon is see what comes of it.

They have waited this long, let this resolve itself.  If it's a screaming argument, I think they keep him.  If there is any physical contact, the Raiders dump him.  I don't think there's any money deadlines.  

Voc Cotto on Twitter, who defintely has some sources, said a source told him the Raiders would make a splash.  That surprises me.  

Victor Cotto‏ @cottovic  Mar 1

More

#Raiders scout tells me, "On March 9, we'll be making noise. Reggie will have loads of meetings w/ agents & he'll snag another big one."

Voc Cotto on Twitter, who defintely has some sources, said a source told him the Raiders would make a splash.  That surprises me.  
Reggie's rooted in the GB philosophy, but the circumstances regarding free agency aren't the same. They rarely had the cap room we've had the last couple years. Reggie is clearly a cap maven, based on the contracts he's handed free agents. The only players he'll risk future dead money on are the most sure things. Otherwise, it's short deals with roster, instead of signing bonuses and easy outs for the team year to year with minimal or no dead cap. That is no accident.

But when quality free agents have been available -  like cornerstone guys in terms of talent AND character, he's been paying at or above market value - Hudson, Osemele come to mind and even Irvin. Carr and Mack fit this mold, except even moreso in terms of talent and also moreso by being home grown free agents. Reggie has already stated that he's going to sign those two and has a long term plan for it.

Reggie, like any cap master sees the roster in terms of salary slotting and now with the Raiders cap fully repaired and properly positioned, he has at least a couple big dollar slots still available, even after accounting for future deals for Carr/Mack, even Cooper. If the rumor you posted it correct, maybe there are a couple big name impending UFAs that Reggie sees as deserving one of those coveted slots.

Does Reggie bring in Lacy? Only coz they were both in GB, but did they spend time their together? Im sure if they did RM would know if he was worth pursing

I think this is going to be a deep interior OL draft class. Perfect timing for the Raiders to add some much needed depth that was exposed at the end of the season. Watching the combine through the eyes of Reggie, who likes big, powerful road graders, here's my best attempt at predicting who we could possibly see in the Silver & Black next season.

If Cam Robinson is available in the 2nd I hope they land him. Plug him in at RT and problem solved. If they go defense with their first two picks, these guys could be had later in the draft:

Ethan Cooper (EIU)- he struck me as a Reggie guy right away. Built like a brick sh!thouse! Looks a bit like Gabe Jackson, seems a little more "athletic " than who we're used to seeing RM draft but maybe they could use a little more athleticism.

Dion Dawkins (Temple)- A big guy Mayock seems to like a lot. He tested well. And his stock is rising. Which means he might go off the board too soon.

Isaac Asiada (Utah)- Another powerful mauler, that could fit into the system. He had the most reps on the bench with 35.

Taylor Moton (WMich)- I knew nothing about this kid before today, but like Cooper, he really jumped out at me as a Reggie guy.

Nico Siragusa (SDSU)- I know, I know, that name is sacrilege in these parts, but I don't think there is any relation to Tony. Another one of those, big bodied guys who tested well from a smaller school. Definitely seems like he would be an upgrade over Feliciano.

Sean Harlow (Ore St)- Not the prototype lineman that Reggie likes. This is my homer pick. I've watched him play quite a bit and believe he will be a steal for the team who drafts him. He should be a plug in and play RT. Plus he has NFL pedigree, his father played in the 90s.

Other big mountains of men in the mold of Vidal Alexander I can see Reggie taking a shot on late in the draft:

Damien Mama and Zach Banner (USC)- these kids are huge! And also very slow. But they are road graders.

David Sharpe (Fla), Jerry Ugokwe (W&M), Jordan Morgan (Kutztown), Nate Theaker (Wayne St)- Big dudes, most from small programs, they could be intriguing prospects late in the draft. 

I think you are onto something here Bruno. I agree the tackle is a need that. Given Reggie's track record he will likely use free agency to fill that need. 4 of the 5 starters last year were acquired thru free agency (Penn, Osemele, Hudson, Howard).

That McCaffery kid would be nice to have....put him at slot over dropsies Roberts and he could be ur 3rd down back as well.  Not to mention the kick/punt return abilities he has.  It's a copy cat league and he could the Raiders version of Edelman.

I don't buy that Bennett talk.  I think the Raiders have three TEs they like, including Gabe Holmes.  This smells like an agent trying to drum up interest in his client.  

To my miind, if the Raiders sign Bennett, that is a long term contract you can remove from one of their home grown young guys that needs an extension.  Bennett gets his money, maybe Gabe Jackson doesn't.  Or whomever.  To sign a free agent who will definitely be looking for top TE dollars, and has been a little bit of a pain in the nuts previously.  Add in a draft brimming with TE talent, and the looming extensions of Carr/Mack etc., and I dunno.  

Having said all of that, all the reasons I don't think it makes sense (I mean, the story was Jags and Raiders were interested, it's like someone has been copy/pasting offseason free agent rumors for two years now), I would be fairly excited if we made this move.  A two-TE set with Bennett and Walford is very dangerous as a run set and a pass set, and a two TE set with Bennett and Lee Smith is a formidable rush set.  Comes down to money for me, as to whether I like it or love it.  

Seriously, my #1 thing this offseason is a Carr extension, and how it is structured.  The sooner it happens the better for the team, and in theory, with their cap space, they could drop a 25 mill roster bonus on him, and have him for low cap numbers for the next 5 years--relatively speaking.  That seems unlikely, I've never seen a deal like that, but they could do it eith their cap room.  

Good point, he's going to command a bunch of money and we need that for our own carrots.  While we may like our guys, we don't have one like Bennett.  But I guess that's where the salary comes in.  Oh well, it was fun to think about.

I don't buy that Bennett talk.  I think the Raiders have three TEs they like, including Gabe Holmes.  This smells like an agent trying to drum up interest in his client.  

To my miind, if the Raiders sign Bennett, that is a long term contract you can remove from one of their home grown young guys that needs an extension.  Bennett gets his money, maybe Gabe Jackson doesn't.  Or whomever.  To sign a free agent who will definitely be looking for top TE dollars, and has been a little bit of a pain in the nuts previously.  Add in a draft brimming with TE talent, and the looming extensions of Carr/Mack etc., and I dunno.  

Having said all of that, all the reasons I don't think it makes sense (I mean, the story was Jags and Raiders were interested, it's like someone has been copy/pasting offseason free agent rumors for two years now), I would be fairly excited if we made this move.  A two-TE set with Bennett and Walford is very dangerous as a run set and a pass set, and a two TE set with Bennett and Lee Smith is a formidable rush set.  Comes down to money for me, as to whether I like it or love it.  

Seriously, my #1 thing this offseason is a Carr extension, and how it is structured.  The sooner it happens the better for the team, and in theory, with their cap space, they could drop a 25 mill roster bonus on him, and have him for low cap numbers for the next 5 years--relatively speaking.  That seems unlikely, I've never seen a deal like that, but they could do it eith their cap room.  
Good points. It will be interesting to see how Reggie continues to build this team. It is no longer about putting out a dumpster fire. It's about keeping the core talent instead of jettisoning fat contracts. I think this free agent season RM will be looking for "complimentary " players. I don't see a big free agent splash like some are saying. Bennett sounds enticing, but is any position on offense not called RT really a serious need with Carr at QB? 

On another board, the rumor is that Reggie is looking to make 2 big FA splashes out if the gate in addition to the Carr extension.  Calais Campbell, Bennett, Hightower, Gilmore are all possibilities.

Raiders to LV back on the table?

Reports are coming out that the Raiders have informed the NFL that funding has been secured for a stadium in Las Vegas through the Bank of America.

I don't see Bennett matching with our team's personality. Really wouldn't want to see him on the team.

Gilmore. That is something to dream about

If Mark pulls this off, and it looks like it's moving like sheet through a goose, there are a lot of people that owe him some props.

He took Sheldon Adelson to school.

Good on you, Tommy Boy.  The dumb little owner who didn't know spit has done OK hasn't he? First home grown QB since Stabler, and new stadium. Guess he's lucky.

Hello fellow Raider fans.  I am happy to provide the following TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL, RUMOR BASED, SPECULATIVE and COMPLETELY UNCONFIRMED little snippet of information.  I just received some information that seems to indicate the Raiders have a deal in place or are very close to a deal for a big name free agent or possibly more than one.  No names were mentioned, but I was told in no uncertain terms that several important people were seen in one place at a time, and more importantly, were visibly giddy (his word, not mine).  Of note, some of these folks are people not ordinarily in this particular place and the sense was, the combination of people seen was noteworthy.  Of course, I asked the obvious question, that being did he think it was a deal for M Bennett.  My friend wasn't sure but he seemed quick to dismiss that notion, not because of anything that he saw or heard today, but rather, things he has gleaned from earlier when word of Bennett becoming available first hit the airwaves. 

I have a feeling we'll know what's afoot late in the day on 3/9 and very shortly after the official signing period starts.  I'll let everyone know if I hear of any other vague and unconfirmed info.   

Hello fellow Raider fans.  I am happy to provide the following TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL, RUMOR BASED, SPECULATIVE and COMPLETELY UNCONFIRMED little snippet of information.  I just received some information that seems to indicate the Raiders have a deal in place or are very close to a deal for a big name free agent or possibly more than one.  No names were mentioned, but I was told in no uncertain terms that several important people were seen in one place at a time, and more importantly, were visibly giddy (his word, not mine).  Of note, some of these folks are people not ordinarily in this particular place and the sense was, the combination of people seen was noteworthy.  Of course, I asked the obvious question, that being did he think it was a deal for M Bennett.  My friend wasn't sure but he seemed quick to dismiss that notion, not because of anything that he saw or heard today, but rather, things he has gleaned from earlier when word of Bennett becoming available first hit the airwaves. 

I have a feeling we'll know what's afoot late in the day on 3/9 and very shortly after the official signing period starts.  I'll let everyone know if I hear of any other vague and unconfirmed info.   
I am going to take a wild guess and say it's Adrian Peterson.

Thanks brah!

If the price was right (cheap), I would take a flyer on Torrey Smith as a third WR in a heartbeat.

Garrett said:
If the price was right (cheap), I would take a flyer on Torrey Smith as a third WR in a heartbeat.
No thanks on Torrey smith or AP. We can get a good bruising back for cheap. I want to see the D upgraded a lot. Torrey Smith is unnecessary.  

Users who are viewing this thread