What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Raiders - how's the 2018 draft looking? (1 Viewer)

That was a remarkable play to watch.  Glad Romo queued it up for replay.

Still the d-line is not generating enough consistent pressure overall.  The D in general is such a disappointment this year.
Not sure it was shown in Romo’s replay, but believe it was actually the second time Mack has beaten Fisher with just one arm before. 

Agree with the disappointing D but  the dire problem seems to be our secondary as opposed to our front line. But both have played below expectations- as has the O line (and they’re arguably playing farther from expectations, as we knew our secondary wasn’t stellar to begin with).

Yup.  @Hankmoody posted a pic just up thread (https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/921233989192507394)

Such an awesome move after such a bone headed one.
Doesn't over shadow the idiocy of him sprinting  onto the field to protect the other team.  Inexcusable 

I think Lynch is a big part of the problem for this team. His FU attitude and his, "I'm valuable because of my street cred", because he's from Oakland has infected the team imho.  I don't think they work as hard as when they were underdogs. I think they read to many headlines and thought they were going to cruise to a division title.   I bet they have the best rushing game of the year when he sits for his suspension. 

Not sure it was shown in Romo’s replay, but believe it was actually the second time Mack has beaten Fisher with just one arm before. 

Agree with the disappointing D but  the dire problem seems to be our secondary as opposed to our front line. But both have played below expectations- as has the O line (and they’re arguably playing farther from expectations, as we knew our secondary wasn’t stellar to begin with).
Agreed. If the secondary could give the d line 1-1.5 seconds more coverage time, the d line would be creating havoc. But when the TE or RB releases free and is wide open ALL THE TIME, they don't have time to get to the qb, even unblocked. 

Doesn't over shadow the idiocy of him sprinting  onto the field to protect the other team.  Inexcusable 

I think Lynch is a big part of the problem for this team. His FU attitude and his, "I'm valuable because of my street cred", because he's from Oakland has infected the team imho.  I don't think they work as hard as when they were underdogs. I think they read to many headlines and thought they were going to cruise to a division title.   I bet they have the best rushing game of the year when he sits for his suspension. 
Lynch marches to the beat of a different drummer. Oakland knew that, you should have known that. I'm not happy he came off the bench it was stone headed for sure. He absolutely should not have done that and deserves his punishment. But since he literally never voluntarily speaks with the media and never gives any info when he does the notion that he was protecting Peters is pure speculation based on Donald Penn's comment. So it feels like a rush to judge, and honestly the why doesn't bother me more than the act itself. Protecting Peters, protecting Carr? Equally stupid.

And it seems very dubious to suggest that the reason they are reading headlines and not working as hard has anything to do with Lynch. That's on Del Rio and the grown ### men on the team individually. Lynch didn't do that.

And "...street cred..."?...never mind. I've said enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lynch marches to the beat of a different drummer. Oakland knew that, you should have known that. I'm not happy he came off the bench it was stone headed for sure. He absolutely should not have done that and deserves his punishment. But since he literally never voluntarily speaks with the media and never gives any info when he does the notion that he was protecting Peters is pure speculation based on Donald Penn's comment. So it feels like a rush to judge, and honestly the why doesn't bother me more than the act itself. Protecting Peters, protecting Carr? Equally stupid.

And it seems very dubious to suggest that the reason they are reading headlines and not working as hard has anything to do with Lynch. That's on Del Rio and the grown ### men on the team individually. Lynch didn't do that.

And "...street cred..."?...never mind. I've said enough.
I did know that. And That's exactly what I'm talking about, the different drum beat. Young impressionable guys being around a well respected dude, surviving on past glory.  And, IMHO, him being from Oakland and all that that entails is a negative on the team.  Did you see the video that is allegedly him on Bart?  Supposedly with Peters?  Not a good look.

But Wtf do I know?  It's just an opinion.  Team played better without him. 

Was there any word on why Penn and Crabs were shoving each other on the sidelines after the scuffle?

Or is it all still off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush?

I did know that. And That's exactly what I'm talking about, the different drum beat. Young impressionable guys being around a well respected dude, surviving on past glory.  And, IMHO, him being from Oakland and all that that entails is a negative on the team.  Did you see the video that is allegedly him on Bart?  Supposedly with Peters?  Not a good look.

But Wtf do I know?  It's just an opinion.  Team played better without him. 
What’s not a good look?

You're focused only on how the two acts are the same and not at all on how they are different.
Because they're not different. If he was trying to protect Carr, Peters, a ref, his weed or a squirrel that ran on to the field it was equally stupid the moment he decided to leave the sidelines. No one needed protecting.

Let me be clear, I am not defending Lynch. i just don't care why he was stupid.

Peters is not a child who needed protecting.  Running on to the field and grabbing an official is not acceptable by any standard.  He is lucky he didn't get a much longer suspension. Not that it matters anyway since he isn't worth a damn anymore and the Raiders offense doesn't need him. 

Chaka said:
Because they're not different. If he was trying to protect Carr, Peters, a ref, his weed or a squirrel that ran on to the field it was equally stupid the moment he decided to leave the sidelines. No one needed protecting.

Let me be clear, I am not defending Lynch. i just don't care why he was stupid.
I disagree. It is WAY more stupid to run onto the field to protect your buddy from the other team than it is to protect your quarterback.

I disagree. It is WAY more stupid to run onto the field to protect your buddy from the other team than it is to protect your quarterback.
Fair enough.

IMO Motivation is irrelevant as the stupidity meter hit 11 the second he left the sideline.

And, again, he has spoken to the media three times this season and said nothing each time. We have no idea why he left the bench.

Fair enough.

IMO Motivation is irrelevant as the stupidity meter hit 11 the second he left the sideline.

And, again, he has spoken to the media three times this season and said nothing each time. We have no idea why he left the bench.
Peters is his cousin.  Seems to me he was going out there to protect Peters and to break up anything up that might have started.  His motivation seemed to be just as a peacemaker, but I agree you can't run off the bench onto the field and he deserves his suspension. 

SDJohnny said:
Without Bill King around it's hard to come up with something poetic. 

Maybe "The Catch at the End of Time" or "Madness at the End of Time"

Or the "Twilight Zone Game"
Maybe "The Game That Wouldn't End" Game.

Been watching football for 50 years. Never saw an ending like that.

DA RAIDERS said:
Agreed. If the secondary could give the d line 1-1.5 seconds more coverage time, the d line would be creating havoc. But when the TE or RB releases free and is wide open ALL THE TIME, they don't have time to get to the qb, even unblocked. 
And it is almost, "ALL THE TIME." Cannot believe this can't be addressed. Actually, it can be addressed. Can't believe it hasn't been addressed. Inexcusable. You just got the feeling most every time when Smith was throwing, "I'll bet the guy he's throwing to won't have anybody within 5 yards of him." And sho nuff...

32 Counter Pass said:
I tuned in last night with the mindset that if Dowling doesn’t give Lynch 20 carries they should fire him on the spot. Instead Lynch is ignore and under utilized. He does not touch the ball until 4:17 in the 1st quarter. gaining 6 yards. His next comes at 1:24 left in the 1st quarter for 3 yards. Lynch is ejected with a little over 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter without another touch in the game. I find this so curious because statistically the Chiefs rank near the bottom in rush defense and the Steelers win the week before also provided a blue print of how to attack the Chiefs defense. Yet the Raiders eschewed the run for the pass. This got me curious about what in Dowling’s past makes him so wedded to throwing the ball around the field.

I think I may have found part of the answer. Dowling spent 4 years with the Lions under Linehan. During that time here are the Lions offensive finishes:

Year                Pas Att            Rush Att
2009                #6                    #31
2010                #3                    #24
2011                #1                    #31
2012                #1                    #25
2013                #5                    #14

So Linehan’s influence might explain Dowling’s current offensive approach.

I know that some will say don’t sweat it, we won. That is true, but it took some very good fortune to do so. (If the play to Cook had been ruled correctly on the field I doubt the Raiders would have been able to snap the ball quick enough to even have 9 seconds left, as one example of good fortune.) Regardless, I do not think this approach is sustainable given the nature of the defense. I also find it strange that they continue to emphasize the pass despite JDR expressing a desire to run more.
Interesting take/stats. JDR supposedly wanted to run more last year and that caused some unhappiness with Musgrave's playcalling and so he wasn't retained. Instead he elevates a guy who likes to throw more than run. Strange indeed. JDR, as has been said countless times, is not a football savant.

CGRdrJoe said:
What’s not a good look?
being filmed on bart with a group of fans chanting #### the chiefs, middle fingers raised, while 'die hard', is not the best look.  also not the best to be with peters, after *allegedly* getting thrown out of the game trying to protect him.  just my .02

Interesting take/stats. JDR supposedly wanted to run more last year and that caused some unhappiness with Musgrave's playcalling and so he wasn't retained. Instead he elevates a guy who likes to throw more than run. Strange indeed. JDR, as has been said countless times, is not a football savant.
I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Carr looks more comfortable slinging the ball around from the spread formation. I realize you need to pose some sort of threat in the running game. But Carr seems to play better when the offense is fast-paced and wide open. Mixing in a draw here and there.

How pivotal does our next game with Denver on 11/26 become?

Given our record in the division and overall, seems like a win at all costs game.

Yes, I know that regardless we need to start posting Ws overall if we even want to think about sniffing the playoffs this year. We created our own home to dig out of.

But the other teams in the AFC I see with a sound team and path to winning 9+ games and vying for that Wildcard are the Jags, and Houston, and Denver. (Titans are promising as well but don’t think they have the D to sustain).

Either way, we need to put down Denver and get back to #2 in the West. We can win 6 more this season - the ones we should win vs Bills, Dolphins, Broncos, Giants, Chargers, with one upset over the class of our and other divisions - NE, KC season sweep, DAL, or PHI.

It’s a tough row to hoe but if we find cohesion and regain some confidence out of this game, it’s doable.

Goes to show how pivotal a single game could be in a season- losing to the Broncs by less than a TD and letting the Chargers win the game in the last drive may be entirely the difference for us this year.

It’s a tough row to hoe but if we find cohesion and regain some confidence out of this game, (winning 9 games is) doable.
Yep, it is a tough road to hoe. I don't see it. I see 7-9 (wins over Fins, Denver, Giants, Chargers). I see all the good fortune they enjoyed last year turn to bad this year.

I don't think it's a suspension, he didn't do anything egregious.  He put his hands on the official (you can tell he didn't know who it was, he came from the side and once Lynch realized it he released quickly to move to a Chief) and was penalized appropriately.  If he had taken a swing or slammed him, or reacted directly at him in anger, perhaps.  But this wasn't that and the penalty fit the crime.

And to the h8ers that gave him crap for leaving the stadium - no, he did the coolest thing possible instead - He watched incognito from the stands!
1 game. I am just surprised it wasn't the two like I expected. 

So who is dropping Lynch for whatever is on the WW? I'm thinking about it, but I have the luxury of him being a backup that will likely never start for me & no one will trade me for him so...

It's Saturday after that game and I'll bet Navarro Bowman is STILL sleeping.
When he wakes up Reggie better get him to call his buddy Vic to see if he wants to come over next year

While the rest of us pray that Chicago clears house at the end of the season

The week 7 TNF Game will absolutely be a highlight of the 2017 Season, can't argue that point.  But its time to start focusing on the next challenge.  A road trip out east for an early game against the 4-2 Buffalo Bills. The Bills are currenlty 3-0 at home, having defeated NYJ, Denver, and TBB.  While they have found a way to win games, they sit below average in league pts, yards, and pass yds per game.   The Raiders front 7 will need to find a way to contain McCoy and Taylor and take the run  out of the buffalo game plan.

The Bills will likely be without Charles Clay and the Raiders without Lynch.   

I'm looking forward to the match-up.  I'm eager to see if the Raiders have found a way to maintain the momentum from last weeks exciting win, and used the extra time between games to get prepared for this road game.  

Reggie is going to have to kick the tires on Maxwell right?

I mean the Raiders can't sign every player cut.  But our secondary needs help at the CB position with the health and status of Conley constantly up in the air.  Amerson hasn't been playing well (not saying that maxell is better than amerson).   I think competition at any position is good in general.   The added bonus of course is Maxwell's knowledge of the Miami system as the Raiders approach facing them in 12 days.

Lynch suspension upheld.   He will miss the Bills game.

(Am I talking to myself here...)
hopefully they open up the offense.  it seems to run better when it's wide open.  50/50 split in the back field?  or do you see one getting more carries than the other?

50/50 split, with Olawale seeing the occasional carry as well. Given Washington's game last week, think he gets a crack at the early downs with Richard coming in for COP duties. Will be interesting to see how they attack this D, as if we're able to keep them on the field with long sustained drives using Washington as a hammer, I think Richard may actually be really good in the latter half of the game with his explosiveness against a tired D.

We'll see. Another must-win game for us.

As a Bills fan, I'm surprised we are favored.  The line opened at -3 and it think it's -2.5 or -3 now.  The Raiders are traveling east but on 10 days rest, The passing game got back on track vs. KC who Buffalo always struggles with.  The Bills pass D has been getting shredded.  384 yards last week to Winston. Both Poyer and Gaines likely out. The Bills have no depth at CB and not much at LB, Poyer/Gaines are Day to Day with a groin and knee respectively.  The Bills LB's are slow and got burned in the flat's and by bigger TE's.  I don't think our RT will be able to block Mack, but not many can.  If the front four doesn't get to the QB then Carr should be able to light it up. 

I'm not sure how the Buffalo offense outside of McCoy and Tyrod's legs will be able to move the ball.  Really depends on our offensive line which has been shaky at best.

Best of Luck - Cheers.

From a fantasy perspective I'll have some Carr, Crabtree, Cook, Cooper shares in some Draftkings.

I'm thinking about starting Cooper between a mix of guys in my redraft.

As a Bills fan, I'm surprised we are favored.  The line opened at -3 and it think it's -2.5 or -3 now.  The Raiders are traveling east but on 10 days rest, The passing game got back on track vs. KC who Buffalo always struggles with.  The Bills pass D has been getting shredded.  384 yards last week to Winston. Both Poyer and Gaines likely out. The Bills have no depth at CB and not much at LB, Poyer/Gaines are Day to Day with a groin and knee respectively.  The Bills LB's are slow and got burned in the flat's and by bigger TE's.  I don't think our RT will be able to block Mack, but not many can.  If the front four doesn't get to the QB then Carr should be able to light it up. 

I'm not sure how the Buffalo offense outside of McCoy and Tyrod's legs will be able to move the ball.  Really depends on our offensive line which has been shaky at best.

Best of Luck - Cheers.

From a fantasy perspective I'll have some Carr, Crabtree, Cook, Cooper shares in some Draftkings.

I'm thinking about starting Cooper between a mix of guys in my redraft.
Welcome GBS -- I think our history of traveling east to play the early game, as well as the potential for cruddy weather (Buffalo ain't exactly balmy and bright in late October) may have something to do with it, but I also think our play over the last few games has fairly put us in the underdog role. We simply haven't looked like the same team as last year so not surprised at the line.

Kind of a really big weekend for both teams going into this one – Bills need to win to separate themselves from the chaff in the division (IMHO Dolphins should fade and the Jets have annoyingly found a way to stay within striking distance), and to keep challenging for division lead which I think is absolutely doable seeing how shaky NE has been on D all year (except for this past week…).

On our end of the ball we have looked absolutely miserable – with Carr and without him – but pulled a nice little miracle game out of our rears this past week. Pretty exciting game, had about three coronaries and a minor stroke during the 4 TDs we needed to score to put seven points on the board. But we could very easily be 2-5. 

Unfortunately no “homecoming” for Lynch as a Raider, but he definitely deserves to be on time out, the goof. So will be interesting to see how other matchups shake out. One I am watching is how TreDavious White handles Crabs – the rookie has seemed to played really well so far this year, so it will be an interesting matchup to watch. Battle in the trenches for all lines will also be interesting, as our Oline while having tons of talent have really struggled, and the Bills’ O line has a few Pro Bowlers on it as well. And will be interesting to see how our new acquisition, NaVarro Bowman, helps out our middle backfield and our trouble stopping the run against elite backs.

Welcome GBS -- I think our history of traveling east to play the early game, as well as the potential for cruddy weather (Buffalo ain't exactly balmy and bright in late October) may have something to do with it, but I also think our play over the last few games has fairly put us in the underdog role. We simply haven't looked like the same team as last year so not surprised at the line.

Kind of a really big weekend for both teams going into this one – Bills need to win to separate themselves from the chaff in the division (IMHO Dolphins should fade and the Jets have annoyingly found a way to stay within striking distance), and to keep challenging for division lead which I think is absolutely doable seeing how shaky NE has been on D all year (except for this past week…).

On our end of the ball we have looked absolutely miserable – with Carr and without him – but pulled a nice little miracle game out of our rears this past week. Pretty exciting game, had about three coronaries and a minor stroke during the 4 TDs we needed to score to put seven points on the board. But we could very easily be 2-5. 

Unfortunately no “homecoming” for Lynch as a Raider, but he definitely deserves to be on time out, the goof. So will be interesting to see how other matchups shake out. One I am watching is how TreDavious White handles Crabs – the rookie has seemed to played really well so far this year, so it will be an interesting matchup to watch. Battle in the trenches for all lines will also be interesting, as our Oline while having tons of talent have really struggled, and the Bills’ O line has a few Pro Bowlers on it as well. And will be interesting to see how our new acquisition, NaVarro Bowman, helps out our middle backfield and our trouble stopping the run against elite backs.
Thanks.  I forgot about that.  We have been having amazing weather, I'm a season ticket holder and last week was 75 degrees and sun.  This week 49 degrees and rain.  I guess I can't complain.  I agree. Since it's been 17 years, I brought up the playoff calculator today.  Losing this game pretty much kills both teams.

White has been really solid, trading down to get him and one of the better corners in the draft has been surprising.  He's been getting beat, but seems to have a good head on his shoulders and just battles back and makes some plays.  Tawain Jones helped seal our win last week.  His only play of the year was a shovel pass with seconds left.

Which of your backs is the better PPR play?  I think one will be valuable for GPP's in Draftkings this week.  Lorenzo Alexander is 34 and just can't get to the flats.  I'm really worried about the banged up secondary,  I think Cook will be a monster.  Brate/Howard dominated the rookie MLB last week.  I see this one as a 27-14 type game for the Raiders.  I'm a pessimistic Bills fan though.  I don't know what winning feels like.  I'm 31 and have had season tickets for 14 years.  Was 4-8 years old when the Bills were good.

How many tables have you broken?
That's funny you mention that. I'm apart of @pintotailgate (follow on twitter) We are in a lot where my buddy runs a private lot.  No funnels, dizzy bats, tables etc.  That happens a lot in the Bills run lots.  However they'll tell you it's private lot people.  Pinto tailgate is the guy that gets ketchup squirted all over him and does shots out of the bowling ball and cooks on the 1980 Ford pinto hood. Provides all the food and booze for people and heavily involved with some charities.  He's been to 379 straight games home and away.  Every city he goes to he tailgates with that towns super-fan group.  I believe the last time he was in Oakland he mentioned  a huge BBQ thing with all those guys that dress-up and it was a great time.

Those Barstool video's are getting crazy. I guess that's what happens when you haven't made the playoffs in 17 years.  Out of boredom.  A lot easier to just open another beer and hang out and eat though.

Users who are viewing this thread