What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon. (1 Viewer)

This is what I said re: eligibilty. It's pretty clear when albums were released, there is a set date but songs can peak the year after or sometimes the year before the album they're on is released, so if it seems like it was a song that was bigger in 2017 than 2016, even if just to you, then it's fine here. Albums are a bit more tricky...
Asking for a friend here...what do you think about songs from an album released in Q1 2016, but you never heard anything from it until Q2 2017.  Like, never even knew the band even existed.

Asking for a friend here...what do you think about songs from an album released in Q1 2016, but you never heard anything from it until Q2 2017.  Like, never even knew the band even existed.
Generally, if it entered public consciousness in 2017 as well I think it's fine. I'm really not picky, as long as its not trying to claim "One Dance" or "Boyfriend" or whatever the big hits in 2016 were for this year.

Round 5   Big Thief - Shark Smile
See, I think that fact that there are bands called Wild Pink, Big Pink and Big Thief is just too much for my brain. And this is without all the Wild Nothing and Pink whatever other bands. I don't keep these bands straight. It's as bad as freaking Wolf bands. Anyway, I like this song but I really really like the Wild Pink song you picked earlier but ignored them all year because I I thought they were Big Pink or Wild Nothing or Mr. Big or who knows what. 

See, I think that fact that there are bands called Wild Pink, Big Pink and Big Thief is just too much for my brain. And this is without all the Wild Nothing and Pink whatever other bands. I don't keep these bands straight. It's as bad as freaking Wolf bands. Anyway, I like this song but I really really like the Wild Pink song you picked earlier but ignored them all year because I I thought they were Big Pink or Wild Nothing or Mr. Big or who knows what. 

That might have been a strange rant for some people, so this was the 2010 NME song of the year. Big Pink - Dominos
Wild Nothing's Gemini was my #1 album of 2010!

My 2nd pick: Feel it Still - Portugal the Man

Had this pegged as song of the year when it came out in in early March this year.  And despite the fact it's been co-opted by just about everyone (1st noticed it played as bumper music during the NHL draft), I don't care.  Creep in a T-Shirt was in a Taco Bell commercial (if memory serves).  Don't care.  Still a great song and SOD for all intents and purposes.
I love, love, love this song! I put it in the "New Songs You Love" thread earlier this year. 

This whole album is great. This is a band that deserves major recognition. 

Round 6:  Brand New - 137

A song about man’s reflections in a post-apocalyptic nuclear holocaust.  I like the wordplay of “atom/Adam” in this verse.

Before the garden
When you were all alone
You made the atom
Was that some inside joke

Open the gates
And then conceal the path
Let's load the gun
And see how long they last

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard these guys either.  Love this song----right in my wheelhouse. Reminds me of Phosphorescent.
You’d probably also like “Half Crazy” and “Love Ain’t Enough” off their previous album, Sleeping Operator.  I was pretty blown away by them when I first saw them perform live a few years ago.  It’s two real brothers, one on guitar and one on drums/keys, and a girl who plays a giant harp on stage.  

Oh, and why the hell do the descriptions on half the songs on the Spotify playlist start with 'thelukewarm'?

Can someone answer, or should I PM @shuke?

Alright, it's Friday and that means it's singalong time! You knew at some point I was going to have to bring some sugary mainstream pop out...

Hard times, gonna make you wonder why you even try
Hard times, gonna take you down and laugh when you cry

Round 6 - Paramore - Hard Times

Ok, I do not know how much I will be around today, and I am pretty certain that I will not be around this weekend... so here comes 3 picks with a female friday/women weekend theme.  Feel free to ignore rounds 7 & 8 until the weekend ;)

Round 6 - Sweet Spirit - The Power  (ETA: I just watched that video for the first time and I am pretty sure I am scraping my entire AOTY list just to make this album #1 based solely on the video  :oldunsure: )

Round 7 - Sheer Mag - Meet Me in the Street

Round 8 - Blood Command - Initiation Tape #1

I will just continue on with a color theme.  

Round 6:

Lorde - Green Light 

LINK

Did it frighten you
How we kissed when we danced on the light up floor?
On the light up floor

ETA:  The video reminds me of drunken Heather Graham in License to Drive.  

I will just continue on with a color theme.  

Round 6:

Lorde - Green Light 

LINK

Did it frighten you
How we kissed when we danced on the light up floor?
On the light up floor

ETA:  The video reminds me of drunken Heather Graham in License to Drive.  
Another one from my list ... fortunately Lorde's 2017 collection of mp3s is chock full of good tunes.

the whole album is decent, but nothing rises to this level IMO. and given seeing them on video here for the first time, I"m assuming they were playing elsewhere in other bands prior? these geezers look like my age.

6... Overboard.... Lo Tom

Jaysus is making me lose track of where I was.  ;)

Round 5:

Priests - Pink White House

LINK

Kneel at the feet of programming, I’m really not concerned with what you think
You are just a cog in the machine and I am a wet dream soft and mean
one of my favorite albums this year... kept juggling which song to pick- so many good ones. this was up there. 

7... BHS... Sleaford Mods

Still can't get enough of them. the non-singing one is my fave- press play, hands in pockets, bopping head along. somebody was seeing them live this year... live videos make it look exactly like this (minus the boat)- idiotic in terms of a stage show, and yet I can't turn away.

Round 7: Miguel - Told You So

Miguel’s latest album just came out and on first listen is not on the level of his last two (Kaleidoscope Dream and Wildheartas the songs seem less fully formed. However his voice is phenomenal as always and this song is a good example of one of his more Prince-inspired excursions.

KarmaPolice said:
Pfftt.  You are a day behind breaking the seal on round 7
I forgot that Friday was only supposed to be a one-song day and jumped the gun.  But, then again, Jaysus had already broken the seal for Round 8 yesterday.  

Her voice took a little bit to get adjusted to, but I love the hell out of this album now.   Great hooks from start to finish.   Maybe a Veruca Salt with some Weezer sounding guitars? 

Round 7

Charly Bliss - Glitter

LINK

I'll have my cake and eat it too
I wish I could be good to you

Am I the best? Or just the first person to say yes?

Her voice took a little bit to get adjusted to, but I love the hell out of this album now.   Great hooks from start to finish.   Maybe a Veruca Salt with some Weezer sounding guitars? 

Round 7

Charly Bliss - Glitter

LINK

I'll have my cake and eat it too
I wish I could be good to you

Am I the best? Or just the first person to say yes?
You sob 

Users who are viewing this thread